AC tonight

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
LJF

AC tonight

#1 Post by LJF » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Late to ask but who is in and anyone know if there is opening band?

leviticus

Re: AC tonight

#2 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 am

I was and there was

tubro

#3 Post by tubro » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 am

leviticus wrote:I was and there was
how was the show? what did they play?

leviticus

#4 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:58 am

My Review:

Saw Jane's. Great show. Perry is still a great front man. No suprises. Not sure how I feel about the new songs live... Underground and IR. To me it doesn't sound organic. Backing Track... maybe, but for effect and it doesn't work. Otherwise the show was a blast, crowd was into it. They opened with Up the Beach, very happy with that. Perry sounded great, the band was in top form. They were laughing and having a great time. I will always love these guys if they continue to put on a great act. They are just a band, just an act, no counter culture revolution going on here, but they are a blast

LJF

#5 Post by LJF » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:54 am

Good show, much better then the Terminal 5 one. The crowd and band were very into it, a lot of energy. No surprises on the set list, no LA Medley or Sympathy. They killed it on the old songs, Underground was ok. At times Perry's vocals seemed washed out. There was a good bit of Perry banter which is usually entertaining.

Interested in what bman thought vs irving shows.

leviticus

#6 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:01 pm

What is going on with the chorus? Is he using a backing track with this as well or this just some chorus efect?

it sounds like he is singing to the chorus.

so they played this three times. it's been bad, good, and bad. weird that it is so inconsistent....well perry so inconsistent.

leviticus

#7 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:07 pm

A better clip.

leviticus

#8 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:11 pm

leviticus wrote:

A better clip.
I wouldn't call it bad at all. He is obviously singing this, I just don't get the chorus effect, He doesn't need it. Perry was pretty great last night too IMO. He works the crowd and loves doing it.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:16 pm

leviticus wrote:What is going on with the chorus? Is he using a backing track with this as well or this just some chorus efect?

it sounds like he is singing to the chorus.

so they played this three times. it's been bad, good, and bad. weird that it is so inconsistent....well perry so inconsistent.
Is it just me, or does it look really fucking stupid that he has that giant echo deal onstage with him?

Can't someone build him something he wears on his belt? Or put it on a mic stand like Trent uses.

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:22 pm

leviticus wrote:
leviticus wrote:

A better clip.
I wouldn't call it bad at all. He is obviously singing this, I just don't get the chorus effect, He doesn't need it. Perry was pretty great last night too IMO. He works the crowd and loves doing it.
well i think he sound pretty bad in both clips. i thought he sounded great doing it at irving plaza.

LJF

#11 Post by LJF » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:17 pm

leviticus wrote:
leviticus wrote:

A better clip.
He does a great job working the crowd and he really looked to be enjoying himself doing it. He might not be the best singer and not as good as the early version ok JA, but he still is a good frontman. He puts on one he'll of a show.

Perkins always seems to be happy and loving it. He is just like fuck all the bullshit I'm doing what I love and I'm going to enjoy it.

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Is it just me, or does it look really fucking stupid that he has that giant echo deal onstage with him?

Can't someone build him something he wears on his belt? Or put it on a mic stand like Trent uses.
He's always had that or a similar rig with him onstage and it's kind of quaint so I personally don't care. I never noticed 'til this clip the foot switch he's using to trigger his big plate echo/chorus vox effects so he can sound like Ozzy though.

At least he doesn't have a music stand with sheet music and lyrics like Johnny Lyndon does.

bman

#13 Post by bman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I thought ac was very good. Fun night. Not as good as nyc but that was to expected. Rowdy crowd, but also a different vibe from NYC. As a band they sound fucking great. They know how to play these songs after all these years. I think pa systems and sound boards are probably also so much better than 20 years ago bc they sound great every time I see them. No surprises tonight but I thought perry had great energy and was pretty fucking funny. His brother, kids, and mother in law were all sitting on chairs right to the side of the stage on daves side. Man those kids have seen their mother and father in some pretty interesting situations! I love underground. I think the first intro lyrics is a backing track...but he definitely sings the rest. Three days stood out for me too. Not much else to say really. For me it was great week seeing 3 shows. These guys are pros and are confident fuckers on stage. It's not revolutionary or ground breaking anymore...but what is...it's still a great time though and these guys don't age!

Pandemonium

#14 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:04 pm

bman wrote:It's not revolutionary or ground breaking anymore...but what is...
Arcade Fire for starters.

LJF

#15 Post by LJF » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:15 pm

bman wrote:I thought ac was very good. Fun night. Not as good as nyc but that was to expected. Rowdy crowd, but also a different vibe from NYC. As a band they sound fucking great. They know how to play these songs after all these years. I think pa systems and sound boards are probably also so much better than 20 years ago bc they sound great every time I see them. No surprises tonight but I thought perry had great energy and was pretty fucking funny. His brother, kids, and mother in law were all sitting on chairs right to the side of the stage on daves side. Man those kids have seen their mother and father in some pretty interesting situations! I love underground. I think the first intro lyrics is a backing track...but he definitely sings the rest. Three days stood out for me too. Not much else to say really. For me it was great week seeing 3 shows. These guys are pros and are confident fuckers on stage. It's not revolutionary or ground breaking anymore...but what is...it's still a great time though and these guys don't age!
I don't think it is realistic to think that this group would be ground breaking like the original group was, but they still rock. Their current music isn't that great it's ok, but their live shows are still awesome. They can still bring it and I still enjoy going, so I look forward to seeing them again.

bman

#16 Post by bman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Arcade fire will not cause 20,000 fans in each city to lose their minds the way way ja once did. The suburbs album, to me, is awful. Adult contemporary bs.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm

bman wrote:Arcade fire will not cause 20,000 fans in each city to lose their minds the way way ja once did. The suburbs album, to me, is awful. Adult contemporary bs.
Opposed to what, the punk rock albums Led Zeppelin and The Who put out in their later years?

Let's keep this in context here. You're not getting the obnoxious dreaded pierced kids back. They grew up and their energy is now put into being professionals onstage rather than doing backflips and shooting up.

leviticus

#18 Post by leviticus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:They grew up and their energy is now put into being professionals onstage rather than doing backflips and shooting up.
Their backflips are what got me hooked!

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:37 pm

bman wrote:Arcade fire will not cause 20,000 fans in each city to lose their minds the way way ja once did. The suburbs album, to me, is awful. Adult contemporary bs.
I'd rank the two Arcade Fire shows I saw '07 and '10 in way higher than any post-91 Janes shows I've seen the past 15 years. And they got typical stand-offish LA audiences on their feet and *very* into the shows.

cabangbangq

#20 Post by cabangbangq » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Arcade Fire is the best live band in the world right now

Leto

#21 Post by Leto » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:54 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Only if you like that sort of music.
I have to agree with bman, adult contemporary bs is a spot on assessment.

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:38 am

Leto wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:
I'd rate Jane's new one ambient mood music.

LJF

#23 Post by LJF » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:24 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Leto wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:
I'd say it's heavier than ambient mood music, but it does have that feel. So maybe they are breaking new ground again, let's call it, heavy ambient hover round mood music.

CaseyContrarian

#24 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:10 am

LJF wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Leto wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:
I'd say it's heavier than ambient mood music, but it does have that feel. So maybe they are breaking new ground again, let's call it, heavy ambient hover round mood music.
It's actually edgier than Arcade Fire, which is essentially the ongoing Springsteen-ification of "indie rock." The rest of indie now sounds like learner's curve throwback pop drenched in reverb, or yelpy yacht rock made by kids who listened to their parents playing "Graceland" during playdates.

Although it's not, nor will ever be, "real" JA, TGEA is far better than most of that dreck. Just wish they coulda worked with Trent, Artticus and Eric. Sigh.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 am

i'm reading the above few posts and asking myself, "do i need to clean the cauliflour out of my ears?" we are listening to the same records but hearing different things. i don't think there is anything edgy or ambient about TGEA. i suppose if you normally listen to speedmetal it would seem ambient. and arcade fire sounds nothing like bruce springsteen. i think i must be occupying a completely different aural universe. :lol:

though the style of music is different, i would take anything that Arcade Fire puts over JA right now.