Dave or Jimmy

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Dave or Jimmy

#41 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 am

This.
Mescal wrote:You guys are all trippin' if you say Hendrix isn't any good.

Or if Dave is better than Jimmy.

Dave can't even touch the soles of Jimmy and Jimi's feet.

And I'm sure that if you ask him, he'll admit that much.

Jimi Hendrix is the kind of guy who can make an excellent song out of a mediocre song. Listen to little miss strange, a song written by Noel Redding which is a so so song until the guitar thing comes in at the end, which makes it great.

Also, Jimi lived for his music. In the few years he lived I think he played music every day, and every day the tapes were rollin. He has a massive output.

And ok, that doesn't make him a great guitarist, but come on, listen to the guy, listen to his playing, and don't forget, it was 1968! (or earlier)

Every modern day guitar player is influenced by Jimi. Every fuckin' one.

In 200 years time people will talk about Jimi like they're talk about Mozart today. Nobody will talk about Dave Navarro.

Also, Dave tries so hard to be Jimmy Page. The acoustics on RDLH, the shredding, .... But come on, Dave being better than Jimmy?

I know this is a Jane's fan site, so fair enough, but, come on!

Dave hasn't done anything relevant since his RHCP days (I love his playing on OHM!)
In no way is he groundbreaking.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am

Mescal wrote:
Every modern day guitar player is influenced by Jimi. Every fuckin' one.
You're right. They all learn his chops in their first 4 weeks of guitar lessons, and then keep practicing and actually get good enough to not have to play like that anymore.

Matov

#43 Post by Matov » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 am

hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
not that you have to or anything, i just can't get my head around the fact that you think so little of someone that's way up in my list...

guysmiley

#44 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am

I made this because the truth of it is, I can put on a Led Zeppelin or Hendrix album and listen to it for the 1 millionth time and still get off and enjoy it. I listened to TGEA for three days and put it down. Hell I don't like "In Through the Out Door" but its better than this. Oh, and if you don't think Hendrix did anything? Watch the Woodstock doc. He blows every guitar play away, and opens every possibility to guitarists. Guitar effects and pedals/Fuzz/Wah/Octave, yeah him and Roger Mayer were some of the first you can thank for that.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:01 pm

zep is the gift that keeps on giving .. hendrix i can put on anytime and i will stop what i am doing and just listen .. live at woodstock .. the full set .. is fucking phenomenal .. as is the classic are u experienced? .. live at monterey was my first and still one of my faves .. sorry but up until this record navarro was not much removed from the likes of c c deville .. i definately appreciate daves shining moments on this new record .. much like i appreciate flea and navarro on "you oughta know" .. but up until he started listening to old joy division and cure records .. he was mostly a metal shredder type .. fast fingers, blues licks ..can play any style but prefers 'ahem cough cough' hair metal .. which was why we got that crap STRAYS record .. dave always said his greatest influence on his guitar was perry cuz perry would try to get him to play textures and shit that was not a guitar solo .. listen to mountain song .. thats perry saying DO NOT PLAY A GUITAR SOLO make it something else .. and dave was great at it .. but it was not in his blood at the time .. at the time we was playing those crazy fast shredder solos .. i think only with this album dave really focused on his sound, and trying to change it beyond the stock metal sounds into something more authentic. granted something like twisted tales is not a positive direction for guitar production .. on other songs i could really respect his tones and overall sound .. far moreso than strays and a little more than the basic rock sound of pre 91 tones .. i think dave is learning restraint and it is tightening up his overall profile as a guitarist .. i always felt pete distefano had a much better sound than dave .. but i think dave is paying more attention to that now and has improved a lot .. that said .. he has his moments but also has FAR MORE FILLER than the likes of page hendrix or any of the greats .. is there a pink floyd guitar solo that is not completely memorable every single note? no .. same with page and hendrix .. nothing that you yawn thru .. its all pretty fucking mindblowingly awesome .. dave has a handful of truly great solos .. but its mostly those flashy runs that kinda go up and down and dont really have a hook or anything interesting .. kinda reminds me of kirk hammet .. another great guitarist who does not write memorable solos .. santana on the other hand, joey santiago, page, hendrix etc .. they all write consistantly awesome and melodic solos ..

sonny

#46 Post by sonny » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

i've never been a huge fan of zeppelin. i hate plant. jimmy page is a great guitar player and dave is only a student of page.

the fact that dave admits to not practicing or trying to grow his skill is testament to his skill. in his mind he's went as far as could go and can only apply that in different ways.

not that dave should be out taking lessons, but i think there's always room to grow. i really think dave was at his best from '93 to '98. i think he peaked there as a guitar player.

tcrock

#47 Post by tcrock » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:44 am

sonny wrote:i've never been a huge fan of zeppelin. i hate plant. jimmy page is a great guitar player and dave is only a student of page.

the fact that dave admits to not practicing or trying to grow his skill is testament to his skill. in his mind he's went as far as could go and can only apply that in different ways.

not that dave should be out taking lessons, but i think there's always room to grow. i really think dave was at his best from '93 to '98. i think he peaked there as a guitar player.

i kind of agree with that...Dave that is (love Zeppelin). It's kind of ironic that in my opinion his most interesting studio work is on OHM. I think that was like his creative peak.

JOEinPHX

#48 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Matov wrote:hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
not that you have to or anything, i just can't get my head around the fact that you think so little of someone that's way up in my list...
I really like Buckethead and John 5's solo albums. They really seem to play a variety of styles, from Classical and Jazz to straight up Metal. Really interesting stuff. I can pick and choose songs based on my mood because they do pretty much everything.

But in a band context, i'd say Billy Howerdel and Ken Andrews seem to make the type of guitar music that i myself would create. Darker more atmospheric stuff. Or maybe Jerry Cantrell. Same type of thing.

I'd say Navarro, but he's so hit and miss. For every Iris there is a Superhero.

Matz

#49 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm

tcrock wrote:
sonny wrote:i've never been a huge fan of zeppelin. i hate plant. jimmy page is a great guitar player and dave is only a student of page.

i kind of agree with that...Dave that is (love Zeppelin). It's kind of ironic that in my opinion his most interesting studio work is on OHM. I think that was like his creative peak.
that and Ritual

Juana

#50 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Matov wrote:hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
I really like Buckethead and John 5's solo albums. They really seem to play a variety of styles, from Classical and Jazz to straight up Metal. Really interesting stuff. I can pick and choose songs based on my mood because they do pretty much everything.

But in a band context, i'd say Billy Howerdel and Ken Andrews seem to make the type of guitar music that i myself would create. Darker more atmospheric stuff. Or maybe Jerry Cantrell. Same type of thing.

I can agree on both Buckethead and John 5 on overall ability but most of their songs are not a full band collab like a Led Zep type thing. That being said the only songs I liked on Axl's GNR solo album thing were the ones that you can obviously tell Buckethead played the majority of guitars on.

CaseyContrarian

#51 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow. Buckethead and John 5 over Hendrix. :no:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I can agree on both Buckethead and John 5 on overall ability but most of their songs are not a full band collab like a Led Zep type thing. That being said the only songs I liked on Axl's GNR solo album thing were the ones that you can obviously tell Buckethead played the majority of guitars on.

tubro

#52 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 pm

sonny wrote:not that dave should be out taking lessons
um, why not? not name dropping here, and many of you may not even recognize this name, but beverly sills was one of the, if not the greatest living opera singer for most of her career. and my throat doctor happens to be her nephew and thruogh him i happened to get to know her voice coach. she took lessons for most of her professional career. most great musicians do. and just for thread context, hendrix never stopped learning, although his method was more to try to play with everyone who played music he wanted to learn, and learn their musical forms and such. most of my professional musician friends, while they're not superhero rock stars like dave, do indeed take lessons, whether in theory or composition or playing. herein lies the problem with so many rock stars. now i don't know if dave does indeed continue to seek learning. my guess is yes. i find his recent playing to be loaded with forms and certainly sonics that he's obviously worked out recently. so i don't know if all of this pertains to dave or not. but i do question why he, or anyone who aspires to greatness, should not be 'out taking lessons'.

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 am

tubro wrote:
sonny wrote:not that dave should be out taking lessons
um, why not? not name dropping here, and many of you may not even recognize this name, but beverly sills was one of the, if not the greatest living opera singer for most of her career. and my throat doctor happens to be her nephew and thruogh him i happened to get to know her voice coach. she took lessons for most of her professional career. most great musicians do. and just for thread context, hendrix never stopped learning, although his method was more to try to play with everyone who played music he wanted to learn, and learn their musical forms and such. most of my professional musician friends, while they're not superhero rock stars like dave, do indeed take lessons, whether in theory or composition or playing. herein lies the problem with so many rock stars. now i don't know if dave does indeed continue to seek learning. my guess is yes. i find his recent playing to be loaded with forms and certainly sonics that he's obviously worked out recently. so i don't know if all of this pertains to dave or not. but i do question why he, or anyone who aspires to greatness, should not be 'out taking lessons'.
Randy Rhoads constantly took lessons right up to the last tour with Ozzy even when on the road touring on days off with local guitar instructors in whatever city they were in.

S&M

#54 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am

Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:

CaseyContrarian

#55 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 am

Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
S&M wrote:Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:

Pandemonium

#56 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
S&M wrote:Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:
Back in the day, that was the one thing that originally bugged me about Rhoads. His tone was so cold sounding, compressed and lacking in any bottom end on record. I kind of actually preferred Jake E Lee's tone when he joined Ozzy. But years later, a friend of mine who was a major Randy fan who was also an excellent guitarist in his own right walked me through his elaborate rig to show me how Rhoads got his distinctive sound and something kind of clicked that yeah, maybe Randy didn't have Eddie Van Halen's or even someone like Gary Moore or George Lynch's warmth in their sound, but it did work in the context of the style of his playing.

CaseyContrarian

#57 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:32 pm

It still sounds like a Crate 10" recorded in a broom closet with a Radio Shack condenser mic.
Pandemonium wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
Back in the day, that was the one thing that originally bugged me about Rhoads. His tone was so cold sounding, compressed and lacking in any bottom end on record. I kind of actually preferred Jake E Lee's tone when he joined Ozzy. But years later, a friend of mine who was a major Randy fan who was also an excellent guitarist in his own right walked me through his elaborate rig to show me how Rhoads got his distinctive sound and something kind of clicked that yeah, maybe Randy didn't have Eddie Van Halen's or even someone like Gary Moore or George Lynch's warmth in their sound, but it did work in the context of the style of his playing.

kv

#58 Post by kv » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:37 pm

:lol:

Juana

#59 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Wow. Buckethead and John 5 over Hendrix. :no:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Woah I never said they were better than Hendrix just saying they were both very good players.

CaseyContrarian

#60 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 pm

This was more aimed at Six, who has been slagging Jimi in this thread. To say that shit and then point to John 5 is as a paragon of axedom is... well, "retarded."

Hendrix was significant in pretty much every way. If you had to make a comparison to something outside of music, it'd be like Moses bringing the fucking tablets down from the mountain.
Juana wrote:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Woah I never said they were better than Hendrix just saying they were both very good players.

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Yeah I know, Hendrix as a guitar player myself the fact that he can pull that shit off back then without those pedals and all that is just amazing. Also his sheer volume of great music he put out in just like 3-4 years.

JOEinPHX

#62 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Well yeah, because both have about 500 times the skill.

John 5 even makes Eddie Van Halen look like a novice.

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

I'm sure we'll all be remembering John 5's greatest songs and solos decades from now.

JOEinPHX

#64 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Everyone remembers rotary phones too, it doesn't mean they are better.

Matz

#65 Post by Matz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I'm sure we'll all be remembering John 5's greatest songs and solos decades from now.
:lol: well said. Anyone can sit down for 8 hours a day for a couple of years and get mad chops like Buckethead's. Creating unbelieveable music like Hendrix did, NOT anyone can do