Dave or Jimmy

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Dave or Jimmy

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:57 pm

You wouldn't make that connection? Really?

If Hendrix was alive today he would sound EXACTLY like Morello.

ant

#22 Post by ant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:You wouldn't make that connection? Really?

EXACTLY? Are you sure. :lol:

How in the world do you what Hendrix would sound like today? If anyone said to you in '91 that TGEA is what Jane's was going to sound like in 20 years you'd probably type caps at them too.

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:37 pm

ok, no, you're right. John Frusciante is clearly what Hendrix would sound like today. Hendrix would be a wacked out heroin addict that couldn't come up with an interesting riff or unique sound if his life depended on it. Spot on.

lollapaloser

#24 Post by lollapaloser » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Meow.

ant

#25 Post by ant » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:ok, no, you're right. John Frusciante is clearly what Hendrix would sound like today. Hendrix would be a wacked out heroin addict that couldn't come up with an interesting riff or unique sound if his life depended on it. Spot on.
I never said Frusciante is what Hendrix would sound like today.

Juana

#26 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm

The MM era Fru was the second coming of the love child of Zappa/Hendrix and seeing him live especially solo he will go off. Rumor is he will be in Austin for Joe Lally's set as well in a couple weeks. As for his more recent work there was some great stuff on Inside Of Emptiness and his solo's with The Mars Volta in the studio and live have been pretty good too. His stuff with the Chilis he was more focused on song craft rather than widdling on the guitar.

As for Dave or Jimmy... this isn't even a contest Jimmy by light years. Ask this question in another 20 years when Dave has been playing for 40 years and then you can compare them side by side.

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Juana wrote:The MM era Fru was the second coming of the love child of Zappa/Hendrix and seeing him live especially solo he will go off. Rumor is he will be in Austin for Joe Lally's set as well in a couple weeks. As for his more recent work there was some great stuff on Inside Of Emptiness and his solo's with The Mars Volta in the studio and live have been pretty good too. His stuff with the Chilis he was more focused on song craft rather than widdling on the guitar.

As for Dave or Jimmy... this isn't even a contest Jimmy by light years. Ask this question in another 20 years when Dave has been playing for 40 years and then you can compare them side by side.
I agree. Not a big fun of Frusciante or anything, I don't like what he did with the Peppers after he came back, but his playing on MM and BSSM, ... that shit's good!

S&M

#28 Post by S&M » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I've never seen a guitarist ever touch me like Jimmy Page...From Celtic to middle eastern runs....I really believe Jimmy'z mojo was putting the parts together ....leaving the jest so mistakes...fiending over the easy....he had himself a ear for the moment and moved beyond it....Dave is like Jimmy for his love of texture and effected tasty hooks...with a build up....I adore Dave And if anyone carried the torch with his Robert ...of the time....it'z Dave ...but Jimmy was way more than a guitarist ...He was a sculptor :heart:

tubro

#29 Post by tubro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:58 am

Six7Six7 wrote:You wouldn't make that connection? Really?

were you joking to mock some of the other ridiculous statements in this thread, or were you making the most ridiculous one of all (maybe of all time)?
i love morello in most everything he does but holy shit is this a musically ignorant statement. the similarity ends, i think, with (1) the fact that, like every electric guitarist, morello worships at the altar of jimi, and (2) they're both partially black.

seriously, jimi was playing with max roach when he died. jimi could do anything.

(by the way, as for froosh, the froosh worshipers are over the top but the froosh haters don't have a clue -- that dude can play and IS as good a hendrix disciple as anyone save maybe robin trower.)

JOEinPHX

#30 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Hendrix wasn't very good. At all.

His disciples can all line up to kiss his ass for all i care. If they play like him, they suck too.

Pandemonium

#31 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Hendrix wasn't very good. At all.

His disciples can all line up to kiss his ass for all i care. If they play like him, they suck too.
OooOOooOoo, how controversial.

kv

#32 Post by kv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:04 pm

stir that pot 6767 :dunce:

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am

It's true. Him, not good. Fact.

Nothing controversial about sucking at what you get praised for. Look at Kurt Cobain. He couldn't play guitar either.

tcrock

#34 Post by tcrock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

Frusciante sounds like every a hole with a Strat? blasphemy!! Love the guy.no interest in listenting to the Peppers without him.

Jimmy Page was and always will be my first and fave guitar hero.....sometime shitfaced and sloppy live.... but the best in my book nonetheless.

Juana

#35 Post by Juana » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's true. Him, not good. Fact.

Nothing controversial about sucking at what you get praised for. Look at Kurt Cobain. He couldn't play guitar either.
Listen to Machine Gun and tell me Dave wasn't influence by him. BTW Dave also played in a Hendrix tribute thing in San Diego a while back and couldn't pull off a lot of the licks, so Hendrix isn't as bad as you think. He was a sloppy player which is true but he just like Page thought outside the box. Something just about every guitar player since has lacked. Cept maybe Frank Zappa and Larry LaLonde who is a Zappa clone.

ant

#36 Post by ant » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Juana wrote:

Listen to Machine Gun and tell me Dave wasn't influence by him. BTW Dave also played in a Hendrix tribute thing in San Diego a while back and couldn't pull off a lot of the licks, so Hendrix isn't as bad as you think. He was a sloppy player which is true but he just like Page thought outside the box. Something just about every guitar player since has lacked. Cept maybe Frank Zappa and Larry LaLonde who is a Zappa clone.
The extended version of Everything from the Spread demos includes Dave basically covering riffs from Machine Gun. Love that version.

As far as Hendrix 'sucking' that's just ridiculous. You can say you don't like the guy's playing but you can't objectively say he sucks. That's like saying Picasso 'sucked'. :eyes:

Pure Method

#37 Post by Pure Method » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Hendrix wasn't very good. At all.

Fine, but at least do you enjoy this cover?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7LSfnpcvwA

Juana

#38 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 am

ant wrote:
Juana wrote:

The extended version of Everything from the Spread demos includes Dave basically covering riffs from Machine Gun. Love that version.

As far as Hendrix 'sucking' that's just ridiculous. You can say you don't like the guy's playing but you can't objectively say he sucks. That's like saying Picasso 'sucked'. :eyes:
That is why I picked Machine Gun.. you can't cover the song and not be influenced in some way by the player... I hear alot more Jimi in DN's playing than I do Jimmy. I really only like Band Of Gypsys and Axis:Bold As Love by Hendrix but he had so many awesome live performances and was thinking so far ahead... I mean fuck they MADE pedals to do what he was doing without them. Like I said he was sloppy but what "great" player isn't? Gary Moore, Robert Johnson, Duane Allman some of my favorite players and regarded as some of the best all of which were influenced by Hendrix and what he was doing.

Juana

#39 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:13 am

:idea: :rockon: :tiphat:

Mescal

#40 Post by Mescal » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 am

You guys are all trippin' if you say Hendrix isn't any good.

Or if Dave is better than Jimmy.

Dave can't even touch the soles of Jimmy and Jimi's feet.

And I'm sure that if you ask him, he'll admit that much.

Jimi Hendrix is the kind of guy who can make an excellent song out of a mediocre song. Listen to little miss strange, a song written by Noel Redding which is a so so song until the guitar thing comes in at the end, which makes it great.

Also, Jimi lived for his music. In the few years he lived I think he played music every day, and every day the tapes were rollin. He has a massive output.

And ok, that doesn't make him a great guitarist, but come on, listen to the guy, listen to his playing, and don't forget, it was 1968! (or earlier)

Every modern day guitar player is influenced by Jimi. Every fuckin' one.

In 200 years time people will talk about Jimi like they're talk about Mozart today. Nobody will talk about Dave Navarro.

Also, Dave tries so hard to be Jimmy Page. The acoustics on RDLH, the shredding, .... But come on, Dave being better than Jimmy?

I know this is a Jane's fan site, so fair enough, but, come on!

Dave hasn't done anything relevant since his RHCP days (I love his playing on OHM!)
In no way is he groundbreaking.

CaseyContrarian

#41 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 am

This.
Mescal wrote:You guys are all trippin' if you say Hendrix isn't any good.

Or if Dave is better than Jimmy.

Dave can't even touch the soles of Jimmy and Jimi's feet.

And I'm sure that if you ask him, he'll admit that much.

Jimi Hendrix is the kind of guy who can make an excellent song out of a mediocre song. Listen to little miss strange, a song written by Noel Redding which is a so so song until the guitar thing comes in at the end, which makes it great.

Also, Jimi lived for his music. In the few years he lived I think he played music every day, and every day the tapes were rollin. He has a massive output.

And ok, that doesn't make him a great guitarist, but come on, listen to the guy, listen to his playing, and don't forget, it was 1968! (or earlier)

In 200 years time people will talk about Jimi like they're talk about Mozart today. Nobody will talk about Dave Navarro.

Also, Dave tries so hard to be Jimmy Page. The acoustics on RDLH, the shredding, .... But come on, Dave being better than Jimmy?

I know this is a Jane's fan site, so fair enough, but, come on!

Dave hasn't done anything relevant since his RHCP days (I love his playing on OHM!)
In no way is he groundbreaking.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am

Mescal wrote:
You're right. They all learn his chops in their first 4 weeks of guitar lessons, and then keep practicing and actually get good enough to not have to play like that anymore.

Matov

#43 Post by Matov » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 am

hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
not that you have to or anything, i just can't get my head around the fact that you think so little of someone that's way up in my list...

guysmiley

#44 Post by guysmiley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am

I made this because the truth of it is, I can put on a Led Zeppelin or Hendrix album and listen to it for the 1 millionth time and still get off and enjoy it. I listened to TGEA for three days and put it down. Hell I don't like "In Through the Out Door" but its better than this. Oh, and if you don't think Hendrix did anything? Watch the Woodstock doc. He blows every guitar play away, and opens every possibility to guitarists. Guitar effects and pedals/Fuzz/Wah/Octave, yeah him and Roger Mayer were some of the first you can thank for that.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:01 pm

zep is the gift that keeps on giving .. hendrix i can put on anytime and i will stop what i am doing and just listen .. live at woodstock .. the full set .. is fucking phenomenal .. as is the classic are u experienced? .. live at monterey was my first and still one of my faves .. sorry but up until this record navarro was not much removed from the likes of c c deville .. i definately appreciate daves shining moments on this new record .. much like i appreciate flea and navarro on "you oughta know" .. but up until he started listening to old joy division and cure records .. he was mostly a metal shredder type .. fast fingers, blues licks ..can play any style but prefers 'ahem cough cough' hair metal .. which was why we got that crap STRAYS record .. dave always said his greatest influence on his guitar was perry cuz perry would try to get him to play textures and shit that was not a guitar solo .. listen to mountain song .. thats perry saying DO NOT PLAY A GUITAR SOLO make it something else .. and dave was great at it .. but it was not in his blood at the time .. at the time we was playing those crazy fast shredder solos .. i think only with this album dave really focused on his sound, and trying to change it beyond the stock metal sounds into something more authentic. granted something like twisted tales is not a positive direction for guitar production .. on other songs i could really respect his tones and overall sound .. far moreso than strays and a little more than the basic rock sound of pre 91 tones .. i think dave is learning restraint and it is tightening up his overall profile as a guitarist .. i always felt pete distefano had a much better sound than dave .. but i think dave is paying more attention to that now and has improved a lot .. that said .. he has his moments but also has FAR MORE FILLER than the likes of page hendrix or any of the greats .. is there a pink floyd guitar solo that is not completely memorable every single note? no .. same with page and hendrix .. nothing that you yawn thru .. its all pretty fucking mindblowingly awesome .. dave has a handful of truly great solos .. but its mostly those flashy runs that kinda go up and down and dont really have a hook or anything interesting .. kinda reminds me of kirk hammet .. another great guitarist who does not write memorable solos .. santana on the other hand, joey santiago, page, hendrix etc .. they all write consistantly awesome and melodic solos ..