guysmiley

Dave or Jimmy

#1 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Navarro or Page.

I take Page hands down. :rockon:

Matz

Re: Dave or Jimmy

#2 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 pm

yeah definitely Page. It's near impossible to top his body of work and the huge influence he's been on a ton of people, only Jimi Hendrix rivals him in my book. But Dave's not light years away from him at all, much closer than a lot of people. People like Slash fx :hehe: Dave is the Page of the last 25 years though for sure, super talent

lollapaloser

#3 Post by lollapaloser » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Page. He was amazing between 69 and 75. Pretty dynamic too, recording, producing, engineering in addition to his writing, playing and non stop drug use. You don't have Dave without Page.

autumnan

#4 Post by autumnan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:25 pm

I love all the nods to Zepp on the Them Crooked Vultures album - Grohl's first drum fill, Josh Homme's guitar tones and riffing on a number of tracks, plus some guy called John Paul Jones...

And to think the same engineer was lined up to record JA at one point. I suppose it's obvious why that wouldn't have worked.

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Is this a serious question?

What's your next poll, Plan 9 From Outer Space or Star Wars (A New Hope)?

Leto

#6 Post by Leto » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Definitely Letterman, not a big fan of Kimmel.

CaseyContrarian

#7 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:33 pm

I exist because of Jimmy Page. He is my all-time hero.

Dave is my fave guitarist of our generation.

CaseyContrarian

#8 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:33 pm

I exist because of Jimmy Page. He is my all-time hero.

Dave is my fave guitarist of our generation.

ant

#9 Post by ant » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Is this a serious question?

LOL!

Page and Hendrix are the father of modern rock guitar. Those two have probably inspired more people to pick up a guitar than all other players combined. Dave is an amazing player and his playing on the new record I really like but he's no JP.

Froosh and Jack White would me the contemporary equivalent to Jimi and Jimmy.

CaseyContrarian

#10 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 pm

ant wrote:

LOL!

Page and Hendrix are the father of modern rock guitar. Those two have probably inspired more people to pick up a guitar than all other players combined. Dave is an amazing player and his playing on the new record I really like but he's no JP.

Don't ever mention Jack White in the same sentence as Jimmy Page. And I assume you meant Frusciante, in which case, ditto.

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

ant wrote:

LOL!

Asking to choose between Jimmy Page and Dave Navarro is like asking to choose between chocolate ice cream and dog poo. I'm not meaning this as a shot at Dave...it's just that the answer is obvious.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:40 pm

SO SMILEY GUY IS DRUNK AGAIN RIGHT?

ant

#13 Post by ant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:35 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
ant wrote:

LOL!

Don't ever mention Jack White in the same sentence as Jimmy Page. And I assume you meant Frusciante, in which case, ditto.
What's your issue with Jack White? He's an amazing player, producer and writer. Works in different genres and plays multiple instruments. Living for music. Similar to Page no?

Warped

#14 Post by Warped » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:25 am

Matz wrote:. But Dave's not light years away from him at all, much closer than a lot of people. People like Slash fx :hehe: Dave is the Page of the last 25 years though for sure, super talent
:nod:
Dave's my fave guitar player - simply because of the variety of styles he can easily come up with like on OHM, his great great work on Deconstruction or even on the new JA.
And i think Dave himself would have a good laugh at this thread.

tubro

#15 Post by tubro » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 am

Jimmy. They're in different leagues on nearly all levels, but, to Dave's credit, in his generation, there are only a handful of soloists who can lord over their moment as he can. Dave's a brilliant player, probably somewhat underrated because he comes off as sort of a shredding posing rock star but he's actually a spectacular craftsman. and obviously his recent dip into the type of sonics he tosses around on TGEA expands his legacy that much more.
But this is still a silly comparison. Jimmy's most important body of work rivals anyone who's ever picked up the instrument except Jimi. And over 40 years later, when he picks up his axe, he remains mouth agape startlingly good. i saw a show at roseland a few years back he played with the black crowes. they played almost all zep tunes. generally speaking i can take or leave (mostly leave) the black crowes, but they were a fine backing band and page was just ridiculously good. (and that robinson tool sang plant's parts well and with reverence.)

better question here would probably have been dave or slash.

letterman over kimmel was the best answer.

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 am

ant wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
ant wrote:

LOL!

What's your issue with Jack White? He's an amazing player, producer and writer. Works in different genres and plays multiple instruments. Living for music. Similar to Page no?
Just watch "This Might Get Loud" to see the differences between Page and White. Jack's a talented musician, no doubt about it but Page is lights years ahead of him in every respect. Page paved the way for most hard rock guitarists from the 70's onwards.

Romeo

#17 Post by Romeo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:33 am

Leto wrote:Definitely Letterman, not a big fan of Kimmel.
:lol:

ant

#18 Post by ant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
ant wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:
ant wrote:

LOL!

Just watch "This Might Get Loud" to see the differences between Page and White. Jack's a talented musician, no doubt about it but Page is lights years ahead of him in every respect. Page paved the way for most hard rock guitarists from the 70's onwards.
I don't disagree with that at all. It's an impossible comparison to begin with since you can't have the latter players without the former. If both players were contemporary then you can have more valid comparison. But JW and JF are both current players that continue to push themselves musically are so completely dedicated to music. Of course they aren't going to take it as far as Hendrix and Page because they are picking it up at a later point in time. It's like saying Thomas Edison isn't as important as Ben Franklin.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:13 pm

ant wrote:

LOL!

Is that a fucking joke?

Why do so many RHCP fans seem to think Frusciante is the second coming of Jimi Hendrix?

If you really want to consider Hendrix's otherworldly approach to guitar, and his unique way of playing in contrast to his peers, then today's modern equivalent is someone like Tom Morello. Not some boring minimalist like Frusciante that sounds like every other asshole with a strat.

ant

#20 Post by ant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
ant wrote:

LOL!

Is that a fucking joke?

Why do so many RHCP fans seem to think Frusciante is the second coming of Jimi Hendrix?

If you really want to consider Hendrix's otherworldly approach to guitar, and his unique way of playing in contrast to his peers, then today's modern equivalent is someone like Tom Morello. Not some boring minimalist like Frusciante that sounds like every other asshole with a strat.
I'm not a big fan of Tom Morello and I wouldn't make that connection.

I like early RATM and Audioslave mostly because I'm a Cornell fan but he's not on any list of mine.

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:57 pm

You wouldn't make that connection? Really?

If Hendrix was alive today he would sound EXACTLY like Morello.

ant

#22 Post by ant » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:You wouldn't make that connection? Really?

If Hendrix was alive today he would sound EXACTLY like Morello.
EXACTLY? Are you sure. :lol:

How in the world do you what Hendrix would sound like today? If anyone said to you in '91 that TGEA is what Jane's was going to sound like in 20 years you'd probably type caps at them too.

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:37 pm

ok, no, you're right. John Frusciante is clearly what Hendrix would sound like today. Hendrix would be a wacked out heroin addict that couldn't come up with an interesting riff or unique sound if his life depended on it. Spot on.

lollapaloser

#24 Post by lollapaloser » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Meow.

ant

#25 Post by ant » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:ok, no, you're right. John Frusciante is clearly what Hendrix would sound like today. Hendrix would be a wacked out heroin addict that couldn't come up with an interesting riff or unique sound if his life depended on it. Spot on.
I never said Frusciante is what Hendrix would sound like today.