Dave or Jimmy

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

Re: Dave or Jimmy

#51 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Wow. Buckethead and John 5 over Hendrix. :no:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Matov wrote:hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
not that you have to or anything, i just can't get my head around the fact that you think so little of someone that's way up in my list...
I really like Buckethead and John 5's solo albums. They really seem to play a variety of styles, from Classical and Jazz to straight up Metal. Really interesting stuff. I can pick and choose songs based on my mood because they do pretty much everything.

But in a band context, i'd say Billy Howerdel and Ken Andrews seem to make the type of guitar music that i myself would create. Darker more atmospheric stuff. Or maybe Jerry Cantrell. Same type of thing.

I'd say Navarro, but he's so hit and miss. For every Iris there is a Superhero.
I can agree on both Buckethead and John 5 on overall ability but most of their songs are not a full band collab like a Led Zep type thing. That being said the only songs I liked on Axl's GNR solo album thing were the ones that you can obviously tell Buckethead played the majority of guitars on.

tubro

#52 Post by tubro » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 pm

sonny wrote:not that dave should be out taking lessons
um, why not? not name dropping here, and many of you may not even recognize this name, but beverly sills was one of the, if not the greatest living opera singer for most of her career. and my throat doctor happens to be her nephew and thruogh him i happened to get to know her voice coach. she took lessons for most of her professional career. most great musicians do. and just for thread context, hendrix never stopped learning, although his method was more to try to play with everyone who played music he wanted to learn, and learn their musical forms and such. most of my professional musician friends, while they're not superhero rock stars like dave, do indeed take lessons, whether in theory or composition or playing. herein lies the problem with so many rock stars. now i don't know if dave does indeed continue to seek learning. my guess is yes. i find his recent playing to be loaded with forms and certainly sonics that he's obviously worked out recently. so i don't know if all of this pertains to dave or not. but i do question why he, or anyone who aspires to greatness, should not be 'out taking lessons'.

Pandemonium

#53 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 am

tubro wrote:
sonny wrote:not that dave should be out taking lessons
um, why not? not name dropping here, and many of you may not even recognize this name, but beverly sills was one of the, if not the greatest living opera singer for most of her career. and my throat doctor happens to be her nephew and thruogh him i happened to get to know her voice coach. she took lessons for most of her professional career. most great musicians do. and just for thread context, hendrix never stopped learning, although his method was more to try to play with everyone who played music he wanted to learn, and learn their musical forms and such. most of my professional musician friends, while they're not superhero rock stars like dave, do indeed take lessons, whether in theory or composition or playing. herein lies the problem with so many rock stars. now i don't know if dave does indeed continue to seek learning. my guess is yes. i find his recent playing to be loaded with forms and certainly sonics that he's obviously worked out recently. so i don't know if all of this pertains to dave or not. but i do question why he, or anyone who aspires to greatness, should not be 'out taking lessons'.
Randy Rhoads constantly took lessons right up to the last tour with Ozzy even when on the road touring on days off with local guitar instructors in whatever city they were in.

S&M

#54 Post by S&M » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 am

Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:

CaseyContrarian

#55 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 am

Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
S&M wrote:Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:

Pandemonium

#56 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
S&M wrote:Randy was amazing....When I play some of his stuff my fingers cramp...5&6 fret stretches ...great chord selections....Wonder what he'd be up to if he lived? :wave:
Back in the day, that was the one thing that originally bugged me about Rhoads. His tone was so cold sounding, compressed and lacking in any bottom end on record. I kind of actually preferred Jake E Lee's tone when he joined Ozzy. But years later, a friend of mine who was a major Randy fan who was also an excellent guitarist in his own right walked me through his elaborate rig to show me how Rhoads got his distinctive sound and something kind of clicked that yeah, maybe Randy didn't have Eddie Van Halen's or even someone like Gary Moore or George Lynch's warmth in their sound, but it did work in the context of the style of his playing.

CaseyContrarian

#57 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:32 pm

It still sounds like a Crate 10" recorded in a broom closet with a Radio Shack condenser mic.
Pandemonium wrote:
CaseyContrarian wrote:Well, hopefully he'd have found a better tone.
Back in the day, that was the one thing that originally bugged me about Rhoads. His tone was so cold sounding, compressed and lacking in any bottom end on record. I kind of actually preferred Jake E Lee's tone when he joined Ozzy. But years later, a friend of mine who was a major Randy fan who was also an excellent guitarist in his own right walked me through his elaborate rig to show me how Rhoads got his distinctive sound and something kind of clicked that yeah, maybe Randy didn't have Eddie Van Halen's or even someone like Gary Moore or George Lynch's warmth in their sound, but it did work in the context of the style of his playing.

kv

#58 Post by kv » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:37 pm

:lol:

Juana

#59 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Wow. Buckethead and John 5 over Hendrix. :no:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Matov wrote:hey 67, out of sheer curiosity, could you please name a couple of your favorite players?
not that you have to or anything, i just can't get my head around the fact that you think so little of someone that's way up in my list...
I really like Buckethead and John 5's solo albums. They really seem to play a variety of styles, from Classical and Jazz to straight up Metal. Really interesting stuff. I can pick and choose songs based on my mood because they do pretty much everything.

But in a band context, i'd say Billy Howerdel and Ken Andrews seem to make the type of guitar music that i myself would create. Darker more atmospheric stuff. Or maybe Jerry Cantrell. Same type of thing.

I can agree on both Buckethead and John 5 on overall ability but most of their songs are not a full band collab like a Led Zep type thing. That being said the only songs I liked on Axl's GNR solo album thing were the ones that you can obviously tell Buckethead played the majority of guitars on.
Woah I never said they were better than Hendrix just saying they were both very good players.

CaseyContrarian

#60 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 pm

This was more aimed at Six, who has been slagging Jimi in this thread. To say that shit and then point to John 5 is as a paragon of axedom is... well, "retarded."

Hendrix was significant in pretty much every way. If you had to make a comparison to something outside of music, it'd be like Moses bringing the fucking tablets down from the mountain.
Juana wrote:
Juana wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Woah I never said they were better than Hendrix just saying they were both very good players.

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 pm

Yeah I know, Hendrix as a guitar player myself the fact that he can pull that shit off back then without those pedals and all that is just amazing. Also his sheer volume of great music he put out in just like 3-4 years.

JOEinPHX

#62 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Well yeah, because both have about 500 times the skill.

John 5 even makes Eddie Van Halen look like a novice.

Pandemonium

#63 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

I'm sure we'll all be remembering John 5's greatest songs and solos decades from now.

JOEinPHX

#64 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Everyone remembers rotary phones too, it doesn't mean they are better.

Matz

#65 Post by Matz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I'm sure we'll all be remembering John 5's greatest songs and solos decades from now.
:lol: well said. Anyone can sit down for 8 hours a day for a couple of years and get mad chops like Buckethead's. Creating unbelieveable music like Hendrix did, NOT anyone can do

JOEinPHX

#66 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Matz wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

:lol: well said. Anyone can sit down for 8 hours a day for a couple of years and get mad chops like Buckethead's. Creating unbelieveable music like Hendrix did, NOT anyone can do
Except for the thousands of bands who have used guitars to write a million hits and sell billions of records?

CaseyContrarian

#67 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Listen to Band of Gypsies and know soul.

Jasper

#68 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Matz wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Except for the thousands of bands who have used guitars to write a million hits and sell billions of records?
Stop this shameful display. :no:
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandemonium

#69 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Everyone remembers rotary phones too, it doesn't mean they are better.
Erm...... yeeeaahhhhh.

What a bizarre analogy.

JOEinPHX

#70 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Everyone remembers rotary phones too, it doesn't mean they are better.
Erm...... yeeeaahhhhh.

What a bizarre analogy.
It's not bizarre.

A rotary phone is something that was good for it's time, but was replaced by other things that get progressively better and better.

Same thing. Jimi was good for his time, but there are a hell of a lot more interesting things happening with guitars these days. It's just another case of someone's importance being inflated because they died before tastes changed.

kv

#71 Post by kv » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

:no:

JOEinPHX

#72 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm

it's fine, we don't have to agree.

i hate shit like the Doors and the Beatles too. So i am pretty sure every rock n roll fan on the planet would disagree with me when it comes to music tastes. :noclue:

Matz

#73 Post by Matz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Erm...... yeeeaahhhhh.

What a bizarre analogy.
It's not bizarre.

A rotary phone is something that was good for it's time, but was replaced by other things that get progressively better and better.

Same thing. Jimi was good for his time, but there are a hell of a lot more interesting things happening with guitars these days. It's just another case of someone's importance being inflated because they died before tastes changed.
fuckin hell, do you even know what's up and down on a guitar!? Shit, that's the worst kind of blasphemy I've seen for a while. No one in the world today is doing as interesting things rock guitar wise these days as Hendrix did on Electric Ladyland fx. The new Jane's is nothing compared to it fx

kv

#74 Post by kv » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:27 pm

he is stirring the pot people stop giving him the reaction he is craving

JOEinPHX

#75 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:02 pm

yeah, don't feel the troll. :lol:

<--- The troll