Songs Off TGEA You Like Better Than The Older Material?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Re: Songs Off TGEA You Like Better Than The Older Material?

#41 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:42 am

Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:well I think you're nuts if you can't see ANY quality in some of the SP songs, it's just silly to me. A song like Hard life easy which is probabyly my favorite of all the SP songs is a strong song. I guess you call Flea and John Frusciante nuts too, maybe even more so, because they wrote the progressions in it as I'm sure you know
I think that song is horrible. :noclue: I'd single it out as one of the worst. I don't care what pedigree it has - that doesn't make it good to me. I certainly am not one of the people who thinks that everything Flea or JF touches is gold. Not by a long shot. Regardless, if something doesn't come together in enough areas, it's not going to work, no matter how good some of the parts may be. I think Wish Upon A Dogstar has some very good parts, like the bassline, but the finished product makes it something I don't feel compelled to listen to. Awesome is kind of pretty, but the lyrics kill it for me. Some of the string parts are nice, but the songs are like plain nonfat yogurt, so it doesn't matter. The whole thing just bores me to tears. There's nothing awful, there's just nothing that elicits much of anything from me.
I agree with most of what Jasper has said here. I don't care who played on or wrote some of "Hard Life Easy". It is a bad song. And "Mr.Sunshine" is beyond gay cabaret. I do like "Awesome" and "Milky Ave." though. :nod:

trevor ayer

#42 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Kajicat wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:dude come on paleeze .. satellite party is better than tgea

awesome, hard life easy, milky avenue, throw in revolution solution and dogstar isn't so bad

thats 5 decent tunes

tgea has like broken people and maybe words out of my mouth if you turn it off before the flamboyant show tune break down perry used to kill the song fucking dead .. not much else that you can call a great song thru and thru

thats 5 to 2

SATELLITE PARTY WINS!!!!!
Wha...? Out of all the songs on TGEA to pick as good songs, you choose "Words Right Out of My Mouth"?! That's the most boring, generic song on the album. Any band could perform/write that song. Underground, ETTL, IF, Splash, Ultimate, Curiosity, Hit You Back...Hell, I'd rank ANY OTHER song on TGEA over Words. Words is the absoulte worst on the album. But hey, everyone's got an opinion... :wiggle:

Ha!! Words Right Out of My Mouth almost does it for me. A lot of those other songs annoy me the way kings of leon and all that modern rock crap annoy me. Words on the other hand, feels to me like a tribute to both THE DAMNED and PSI COM. At the same time perrys actual centerpiece are his lyrics, allegedly about birds stealing the words out of his mouth. I only skimmed the lyrics online but the gist I get is that Words is yet another cutsy love song for Etty. I don't mind it tho, just like I don't mind HARD LIFE EASY. Its cutsey but its pure pop. LIke MACEO is pure pop and BEEN CAUGHT is pure pop. In the case of hard life or words, i think the lyrical concept and delivery works. With Words, it seems to be a backwards story telling of the moment perry saw etty and couldn't speak because he was taken aback by her presence, then perhaps made up a story about birds stealing his words to play it cool. I like it. I don't like the break down at the end. Particularly Perrys showtune moment, but I am starting to be able to ignore that part. The delivery is so much like NEAT NEAT NEAT, by THE DAMNED. The accent and phrasing. And it also sounds like an old psi com tune in a lot of ways. There is a lot to like about this one.

I will admit that I have not heard the satellite party record yet. People slagged it so hard that I just stuck to my chicago lollapalooza debut bootleg tape, which in my opinion sounds great. I really like how that satellite party show sounds sonically and most of the songs are very good. I like it better than the strays record. i would rank

splash a little water
broken people
words
hard live easy
revolution solution
awesome
milky avenue

in around the same .. i don't mind that perkins is missing from this record if i think of it as a perry solo record, which it is.

irresistable force has potential but the bangin bangin kills it for me .. just like the lyrics kill end to the lies .. both could have been really great but now are as unlistenable as strays

kv

#43 Post by kv » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

trevor ayer wrote: I will admit that I have not heard the satellite party record yet. People slagged it so hard that I just stuck to my chicago lollapalooza debut bootleg tape, which in my opinion sounds great. I really like how that satellite party show sounds sonically and most of the songs are very good. I like it better than the strays record.
that is soo fucking pathetic..sorry to be a dick about it but you liked sat party live, but never listened to the record because others didn't like it?

:crazy:

granted i don't like the sat party record but at least i listened to it and judged on my own, not just take what others say as fact for my tastes

Kajicat

#44 Post by Kajicat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:24 pm

sonny wrote:jane's addiction fans are starting to resemble tool fans more and more everyday. if you've ever seen tool live, you know what i mean.
Does this mean Jane's fans are starting to resemble Radiohead fans too? Tool fans and Radiohead fans are both pretty similar in terms of being arrogant music snobs. Of course, a Radiohead fan will only say the Tool fan is at fault and vice versa.

trevor ayer

#45 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:17 pm

kv wrote:
trevor ayer wrote: I will admit that I have not heard the satellite party record yet. People slagged it so hard that I just stuck to my chicago lollapalooza debut bootleg tape, which in my opinion sounds great. I really like how that satellite party show sounds sonically and most of the songs are very good. I like it better than the strays record.
that is soo fucking pathetic..sorry to be a dick about it but you liked sat party live, but never listened to the record because others didn't like it?

:crazy:

granted i don't like the sat party record but at least i listened to it and judged on my own, not just take what others say as fact for my tastes
um yup ok .. see strays kinda sucked and i didn't feel like bothering with satelite party by then .. especially after I heard some of the SP tunes and thought the production sounded bad .. i just really enjoy bootlegs and knew i would enjoy the live tape more than the record .. and that album cover did not help .. otherwise i agree with you completely about the dick thing .. i enjoy listening to live shows far more than the classic janes records as well. i did shell out for cabinet of curiousities and even tho i had most of the material i didn't feel disappointed at all. great packaging great music. i like some of the Satelite Party songs but others really annoy me .. like that 'kinky' crap and 'insanity rains' .. i just was not interested enough to want to sit through those songs any more than i already had.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:52 pm

trevor ayer wrote: otherwise i agree with you completely about the dick thing ...
:lolol:

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Kajicat wrote:
sonny wrote:jane's addiction fans are starting to resemble tool fans more and more everyday. if you've ever seen tool live, you know what i mean.
Does this mean Jane's fans are starting to resemble Radiohead fans too? Tool fans and Radiohead fans are both pretty similar in terms of being arrogant music snobs. Of course, a Radiohead fan will only say the Tool fan is at fault and vice versa.
Perry wishes he was even remotely as artistically inclined as Maynard is.

And Thome Yorke is way too busy being talentless and boring to notice both Perry and Maynard are better than him.

paintsrdri

#48 Post by paintsrdri » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:25 am

broken people
:love: :heart: :heart: :boobs: :agree:

Matz

#49 Post by Matz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:39 am

Jasper wrote:
Matz wrote:well I think you're nuts if you can't see ANY quality in some of the SP songs, it's just silly to me. A song like Hard life easy which is probabyly my favorite of all the SP songs is a strong song. I guess you call Flea and John Frusciante nuts too, maybe even more so, because they wrote the progressions in it as I'm sure you know
I think that song is horrible. :noclue: I'd single it out as one of the worst. I don't care what pedigree it has - that doesn't make it good to me. I certainly am not one of the people who thinks that everything Flea or JF touches is gold. Not by a long shot. Regardless, if something doesn't come together in enough areas, it's not going to work, no matter how good some of the parts may be. I think Wish Upon A Dogstar has some very good parts, like the bassline, but the finished product makes it something I don't feel compelled to listen to. Awesome is kind of pretty, but the lyrics kill it for me. Some of the string parts are nice, but the songs are like plain nonfat yogurt, so it doesn't matter. The whole thing just bores me to tears. There's nothing awful, there's just nothing that elicits much of anything from me.
ok, well first of all it was pretty silly of me to imply that everything Frusciante and Flea do is great, cause I certainly don't think thats the case, just listen to By The Way for instance. As for the quality of the SP songs I still agree with Sonny that those four songs he mentioned are better than most of TGEA, not IF and ETTL though in my book. But judging music is a very subjective thing, so nobody's right or wrong here

Ironically the song that everybody seems to hail as one of the best songs on the new album, Underground, has, to me, a very SP esque vocal melody in the verse that I really don't like at all