Re: Estimated first week sales for The Great Escape Artist

#83 Post by Jasper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
creep wrote:week 2 - 9700

so...35k so far

coldplay sold 460k :noclue:
Yeah...and I'll buy the new Coldplay, not TGEA. :thumb:
:lolol:

Yeah, um, that's hardly damning. You are a true bro, but we don't need to talk about your taste in music again. :balls: :balls: :balls: :jasper:

bman

#84 Post by bman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 am

Well that's why they play all these festival shows. That's where the money is. I can see them hitting the road with the Pumpkins maybe summer 2012. They could do all the sheds and make buck. If it were 1988 this album would sell! B/C there was a station called MTV that played MUSIC! They would have played Lies video, 120 Minutes would have played Underground. And high school kids would be into it. My nephew is in high school and is into something Swedish House Mafia! Who by the way just sold out MSG.
I listened to 3 seconds of it on itunes and almost cried. It's a different fuckin world. High School kids don't give a shit about enigmatic frontmen, or druggie bands anymore. When I was in high school and earlier that's kind of all I cared about! Rock is Dead.

Tyler Durden

#85 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 am

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

Yeah, um, that's hardly damning. You are a true bro, but we don't need to talk about your taste in music again. :balls: :balls: :balls: :jasper:
I knew that would get someone's panties in a knot.

I've seen Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 5 times in concert...I also think that "Taking the Long Way" by The Dixie Chicks is probably the best album of the new millenium. Am I going against your "cool" rules? Oh no! :lol:

Artemis

#86 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

I've seen Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 5 times in concert...I also think that "Taking the Long Way" by The Dixie Chicks is probably the best album of the new millenium. Am I going against your "cool" rules? Oh no! :lol:
I see you were trying to up your cool quotient by saying that you have seen Nick Cave 5 times first... :lol:

Well, I have seen Barbara Streisand in concert. :wiggle:

Pure Method

#87 Post by Pure Method » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:55 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

you can have all the opinions in the world for all I care, and not that it matters to you, but I think slightly less of you for financially supporting coldplay. that shit just pure and simple sucks.

Tyler Durden

#88 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Pure Method wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

you can have all the opinions in the world for all I care, and not that it matters to you, but I think slightly less of you for financially supporting coldplay. that shit just pure and simple sucks.
Someone who I have never met, don't know what he (or she?) looks like, don't even know their name, can't even remember what else they have posted on here...thinks less of me for buying a Coldplay CD. OH NO! :cona: :lolol:

Jasper

#89 Post by Jasper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

I see you were trying to up your cool quotient by saying that you have seen Nick Cave 5 times first... :lol:

Cool? I think you're pretty confused about me. I just think you have largely horrible and/or boring taste. :noclue: Doesn't have anything to do with "cool," the only reason it strikes me as odd is because you spend a lot of time being so severely critical of Perry/JA from a musical standpoint. Then you'll tell me your tastes are diverse because of your maturity that comes with age, so you love the Counting Crows, :hs: but your tastes don't seem very diverse at all, and I'm older than you anyways. :confused:

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Carry on.

Hype

#90 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah, well... I like... this...

So I'm clearly the diverserest of you all. :confused: :confused: :confused: :jasper:

creep
Site Admin

#91 Post by creep » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 pm

what surprises me looking at the charts is that tom waits new release more than doubled jane's at 61K without a major label promoting it. i just didn't think the guy was that popular still. :noclue:

Jasper

#92 Post by Jasper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:36 pm

creep wrote:what surprises me looking at the charts is that tom waits new release more than doubled jane's at 61K without a major label promoting it. i just didn't think the guy was that popular still. :noclue:
Really? That doesn't surprise me at all. Waits has a rock-solid fan base with a pretty diverse age range. He's really stuck to his guns, and his music isn't very age-specific, so he's never had a big shedding of fans. Tom Waits is one of the best examples of someone who got older without losing sight of his musical vision, and that's freakishly rare.

Tyler Durden

#93 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Jasper wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

so...35k so far

Cool? I think you're pretty confused about me. I just think you have largely horrible and/or boring taste. :noclue: Doesn't have anything to do with "cool," the only reason it strikes me as odd is because you spend a lot of time being so severely critical of Perry/JA from a musical standpoint. Then you'll tell me your tastes are diverse because of your maturity that comes with age, so you love the Counting Crows, :hs: but your tastes don't seem very diverse at all, and I'm older than you anyways. :confused:

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Carry on.
:confused:

All I did was respond to creep's post about Coldplay outselling Jane's by saying "yeah, I'm one of those people" basically. :noclue: You're one that turned this into something. Now kindly fuck off. :lol:

Jasper

#94 Post by Jasper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:All I did was respond to creep's post about Coldplay outselling Jane's by saying "yeah, I'm one of those people" basically. :noclue: You're one that turned this into something. Now kindly fuck off. :lol:
I didn't turn it into anything, I was just having a laugh. :lol: :noclue:

Artemis

#95 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Jasper wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:All I did was respond to creep's post about Coldplay outselling Jane's by saying "yeah, I'm one of those people" basically. :noclue: You're one that turned this into something. Now kindly fuck off. :lol:
I guess you quoted the wrong post because I thought you were commenting about my horrible and boring taste in music. :confused: :lol:

Pure Method

#96 Post by Pure Method » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:08 pm

@Hype yeah the small faces rock.

@Tyler that's why I said in my post "not that it matters to you" I was simply expressing an opinion.

don't worry though, your response didn't make you come across as reactionary in any way

Jasper

#97 Post by Jasper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Artemis wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I guess you quoted the wrong post because I thought you were commenting about my horrible and boring taste in music. :confused: :lol:
I didn't see your post until I went back and looked right now. I guess I went to post, and just hit the quote button from the most recent post, but you'd posted in between the time I read it and the time I pressed "quote." :dunce: :banana:

Yeah, Babs is pretty bad :lol: , but I'd rather listen to (really young) Babs than Coldplay. :tiphat:

JOEinPHX

#98 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:53 pm

creep wrote:what surprises me looking at the charts is that tom waits new release more than doubled jane's at 61K without a major label promoting it. i just didn't think the guy was that popular still. :noclue:
The halloween party i was at this weekend was jamming his new album.

Meanwhile i have asked several friends who like Jane's if they heard the new album and the response was "Jane's Addiction has a new album?" or "i thought they were broken up"

Tyler Durden

#99 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Meanwhile i have asked several friends who like Jane's if they heard the new album and the response was "Jane's Addiction has a new album?" or "i thought they were broken up"
Those are the responses I have received from people too...people who grew up on them and liked them.

Hype

#100 Post by Hype » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Jasper wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I didn't see your post until I went back and looked right now. I guess I went to post, and just hit the quote button from the most recent post, but you'd posted in between the time I read it and the time I pressed "quote." :dunce: :banana:

Yeah, Babs is pretty bad :lol: , but I'd rather listen to (really young) Babs than Coldplay. :tiphat:

(I can't find a video of him doing Avinu Malkeinu, but I have an mp3 of it).

Just saying. :wiggle: :aoa:

CaseyContrarian

#101 Post by CaseyContrarian » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 pm

It's simple, really: Tom Waits stayed cool, interesting and enigmatic.

Perry did none of those things.
Six7Six7 wrote:
The halloween party i was at this weekend was jamming his new album.

Meanwhile i have asked several friends who like Jane's if they heard the new album and the response was "Jane's Addiction has a new album?" or "i thought they were broken up"

JOEinPHX

#102 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Meanwhile i have asked several friends who like Jane's if they heard the new album and the response was "Jane's Addiction has a new album?" or "i thought they were broken up"
Those are the responses I have received from people too...people who grew up on them and liked them.
They seem to have fallen far off the radar.

And even when they appear, the first words in the article are "after several reunion tours featuring only 3/4 of the original lineup..."

It's all become very negative that they even keep trying. The questions are always "You guys are going on 50, have broken up 7 times, can't stop fighting, and have an album output less than half that of bands you influenced. Have you grown up yet?"

I wouldn't want to record or tour just in order to avoid the question gauntlet. haha

Larry B.

#103 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I think we've been over this like a million times... but it's Capitol's fault. After all, all promotions (the youtube stuff, the iTunes thingy and a few interviews) seem to have originated in JA's (or Perry's) management.

It's the third time they do this. The fact that they made this mistake is amazing, unbelievable and believable at the same time. They're stupid.

trevor ayer

#104 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 am

plus the album sucks .. never underestimate the power of bad music not to sell

Larry B.

#105 Post by Larry B. » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:35 am

trevor ayer wrote:plus the album sucks .. never underestimate the power of bad music not to sell
Definitely...

However, never underestimate the power of labels to sell the most hideous pile of shit music.