Old School

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
NYRexall

Old School

#1 Post by NYRexall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:12 am

Am I the only one on this board who is actually going to wait until the physical album is in my hands before I listen to any of it? :noclue:

And speaking of old school, are they not releasing the album on vinyl? There is only a week to go and still no mention of when or if said format will be released.

If they don't release it on LP, I'm seriously considering just leaving the CD in the plastic when it arrives and propping it up on my mantle.

I don't think I want to hear it any other way...

kv

Re: Old School

#2 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 am

so you never listened to good gods urge then right?

guysmiley

#3 Post by guysmiley » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 am

I thought about it, but I've been burned before. :noclue:
Plus they have enough of my money.

NYRexall

#4 Post by NYRexall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 am

kv wrote:so you never listened to good gods urge then right?
Does it really sound like that? Because I only like five of the ten songs on that album. And I'm anticipating a JA record, not a P4P album.

kv

#5 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 am

ok....gonna explain myself.....good gods urge never came out on wax.... :bored:

and it's not really a "janes" record...it's very pop..like a pop/modern rock album

doubt it will come out on wax so you may as well listen to the stream...

NYRexall

#6 Post by NYRexall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:41 am

kv wrote:ok....gonna explain myself.....good gods urge never came out on wax.... :bored:

and it's not really a "janes" record...it's very pop..like a pop/modern rock album

I would totally buy GGU on wax even though I only like half the album. The five songs on it I DO like are all aces. I've never really been into album streams, so I'll pass. Albums like this, it's important to me that I hear it in the best possible quality in a setting that's free from distraction, so I can focus on it. Because I owe it to them. Like they owe their fans a great album.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but I'm fairly certain at this point I won't attempt to listen to it for awhile once it arrives.

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:04 am

kv wrote:ok....gonna explain myself.....good gods urge never came out on wax.... :bored:

There's a promo vinyl copy.

So, if you want to listen to GGU on vinyl, you can. It'll cost you a little bit more, that's all.

imail724

#8 Post by imail724 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04 am

I'm pretty sure Perry tweeted that it will be on vinyl.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 am

yes it will be on vinyl. it will probably come after the release date.

drifter

#10 Post by drifter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 am

tubro

#11 Post by tubro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 am

NYRexall wrote:

I would totally buy GGU on wax even though I only like half the album. The five songs on it I DO like are all aces. I've never really been into album streams, so I'll pass. Albums like this, it's important to me that I hear it in the best possible quality in a setting that's free from distraction, so I can focus on it. Because I owe it to them. Like they owe their fans a great album.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but I'm fairly certain at this point I won't attempt to listen to it for awhile once it arrives.
perhaps you are overthinking it. this sounds a bit like a decision never to view a youtube clip of a band you like because you'll only check them out live if they play in your living room. or not watching your favorite team in the super bowl (oer the world cup) unless you can view in HD on the biggest and best tv made. out of curiousity, what is your best possible setting setup? do you have a $50K macintosh or equivalent sound system and an acoustically perfect room? no? me either. and i get the whole 'spin the black circle' thing and yeah yeah vinyl is king and cd is shite and whatever. i have 5000 lp's and a pretty decent system. but i'm also practical. if the new JA is as important to you as the new beyonce is to me (not at all), then, of course, dont listen. but if you're a fan and you can only hear it on cd (and i realize that this is likely moot as it is coming out on vinyl evidently), then go buy some really good headphones and close the door to your room and put up a sign that nobody can enter for fear of imminent death. choose the volume you like and tweak the treble and bass if thats your fancy to get it just swell. thats pretty close to the setting thats free from distraction and is close to the best possible.

then come back and tell us all how okay/decent/not awful it is. because this is indeed the shiny happy we love jane's site. we should all take a bow. xiola motherfucking rules and anyone in JA who doubted it should rethink and take us off the blow me line.

vinyl love is one thing but the day i dont listen to something im otherwise very interested in because its not on vinyl is not imminent.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

jesus people you don't think i know good god had a promo? i just knew he didn't have it and listened to it on cd

NYRexall

#13 Post by NYRexall » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:35 am

tubro wrote:
perhaps you are overthinking it. out of curiousity, what is your best possible setting setup? do you have a $50K macintosh or equivalent sound system and an acoustically perfect room? no? me either.
I'm not that obsessed about it, no. Far from it, actually. But this isn't an album I'm going to download off the internet and listen to on my way home from work to see if it's something I want to buy. This is something else. This is "don't make any plans for Oct. 18th (or whenever it arrives), turn the lights down low, light some candles, ignore the phone/doorbell/etc., crank album to welding volume and see if a band who once changed my life still has the ability to do so in a completely different place and time.
tubro wrote: and i get the whole 'spin the black circle' thing and yeah yeah vinyl is king and cd is shite and whatever. i have 5000 lp's and a pretty decent system.
Respect!
tubro wrote: but i'm also practical. if the new JA is as important to you as the new beyonce is to me (not at all), then, of course, dont listen. but if you're a fan and you can only hear it on cd (and i realize that this is likely moot as it is coming out on vinyl evidently), then go buy some really good headphones and close the door to your room and put up a sign that nobody can enter for fear of imminent death.
Good headphones: check

Good stereo system: check

I live by myself so there's minimal threat of intrusion. But I'll have the Mossberg on standby just in case someone tries to ruin my vibe.

tubro wrote: then come back and tell us all how okay/decent/not awful it is. because this is indeed the shiny happy we love jane's site. we should all take a bow. xiola motherfucking rules and anyone in JA who doubted it should rethink and take us off the blow me line.

vinyl love is one thing but the day i dont listen to something im otherwise very interested in because its not on vinyl is not imminent.
I've actually decided to hold my tongue on TGEA, no matter what my end opinion is on the album. There are plenty of others here who have already (and will continue to) dissect the album, and I've bored the people here enough with my rants on why present-Jane's is inferior to past-Jane's.

If I wind up enjoying the album, I'll be pleasantly surprised and consider it a blessing in life. And if I don't like it, I won't make a big deal about it. Bitching and moaning about it on the internet isn't going to change my opinion or anyone else's on the album, so why bother.

But your reply to my question was worthwhile and I appreciate it :cheers: