"Produced by Dave Jerden and Perry Farrell"

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

"Produced by Dave Jerden and Perry Farrell"

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:24 am

I've always wondered why the two Warner albums gave Perry a production credit. Does anyone have any insight on this? Does Perry have any legitimate production skills? Or was this a credit just to give Perry (and the band) more credibility or mystique?

Mescal

Re: "Produced by Dave Jerden and Perry Farrell"

#2 Post by Mescal » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:58 am

Producing means crafting the songs, no?

Makes sense since Perry always said everything was his idea

Essence_Smith

#3 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:38 am

This is probably the most complete interview I've ever seen of Jerden

Essence_Smith

#4 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:47 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:24 am
I've always wondered why the two Warner albums gave Perry a production credit. Does anyone have any insight on this? Does Perry have any legitimate production skills? Or was this a credit just to give Perry (and the band) more credibility or mystique?
Production is a WIDE thing, bringing a dog into the vocal booth for Been Caught Stealing and guiding the shape of the overall way the recording sounds is technically music production...Rick Rubin is a revered producer & I've never seen him twiddle a knob on a mixing board...certain guys who produce also engineer & some direct traffic like Perry likely did...I am not surprised Perry got credit

eye

#5 Post by eye » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:44 am

Production points on the albums.. ie: more money

intertwoven

#6 Post by intertwoven » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:03 am

The story I remember reading is that Perry really wanted to produce it himself (he apparently produced the handful of demos they recorded between XXX and NS), and having Jerden co-produce was a compromise with the label.

autumnan

#7 Post by autumnan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 am

To my mind the producer's role is mainly about having a vision for the project and the resources / contacts / budget (brought or negotiated) to realise that vision. It doesn't necessarily require technical knowledge of the studio, that's what the recording, mix and mastering engineers are for; BUT recognising what does and doesn't contribute to the realisation of that creative vision, communicating ideas and steering events in the right direction are essential skills. Technical knowledge in that context is one tool, interpersonal skills and sustained focus are others. All of the band have a singular focus in their own role, and Jerden evidently was experienced and resilient enough, and observant enough of the band's strengths, to help coalesce it from the social dysfunction.

Casey's quotes in the Whores book testify to Perry having the energy and ambition to make the band successful. She also observes that he was creative in the business angles, finding strategies for promotion that would sidestep the existing gatekeepers on the scene to help them reach their goals on their own terms.

So, I would say that Perry was wholly deserving of the co-production credit.

Nowadays the common interpretation of 'producer' is anyone who makes their music electronically, realising all or most of the parts themselves within production software or studio environment. Now challenged by AI tools which put the creation in the hands of non-musicians.

CaseyContrarian

#8 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19 pm

autumnan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 am
To my mind the producer's role is mainly about having a vision for the project and the resources / contacts / budget (brought or negotiated) to realise that vision. It doesn't necessarily require technical knowledge of the studio, that's what the recording, mix and mastering engineers are for; BUT recognising what does and doesn't contribute to the realisation of that creative vision, communicating ideas and steering events in the right direction are essential skills. Technical knowledge in that context is one tool, interpersonal skills and sustained focus are others. All of the band have a singular focus in their own role, and Jerden evidently was experienced and resilient enough, and observant enough of the band's strengths, to help coalesce it from the social dysfunction.

Casey's quotes in the Whores book testify to Perry having the energy and ambition to make the band successful. She also observes that he was creative in the business angles, finding strategies for promotion that would sidestep the existing gatekeepers on the scene to help them reach their goals on their own terms.

Nowadays the common interpretation of 'producer' is anyone who makes their music electronically, realising all or most of the parts themselves within production software or studio environment. Now challenged by AI tools which put the creation in the hands of non-musicians.
This is accurate.

elbuitre

#9 Post by elbuitre » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:36 am

autumnan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 am

Great post.