underground

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
leviticus

Re: underground

#26 Post by leviticus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

hokahey wrote:This song is amazing. It is the best song on the album. Followed by IF. Followed by....:(
no kidding? Your not finding this album even a little redeeming?

kv

#27 Post by kv » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm

hokahey wrote:This song is amazing. It is the best song on the album. Followed by IF. Followed by....:(
i couldn't name my top 3 either

guysmiley

#28 Post by guysmiley » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 pm

kv wrote:
i couldn't name my top 3 either
Me too. I'm ok with a few others and like the sound of things. Still needs more listens.

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am

badass solo in this one! auuch, Dave's still got it, listen to that vibrato, very intense stuff

sonny

#30 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 pm

exactly :cheers:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:24 pm

I really like Splash. Twisted Tales is ok too. Albim is growing me.

sonny

#32 Post by sonny » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 pm

hokahey wrote:I really like Splash. Twisted Tales is ok too. Albim is growing me.
stop it. just stop it. twisted tales?

go listen to it, it's alterna pop bullshit.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#33 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:06 am

sonny wrote:
hokahey wrote:I really like Splash. Twisted Tales is ok too. Albim is growing me.

Yeah I've been listening to it. And I like it. It's not OMFG GUYZ favorite song ever, but it's a decent tune. When it hits the rotation on my ipod I turn it up a little. Sorry.

bman

#34 Post by bman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:12 am

Underground is awesome.

Eric B.

#35 Post by Eric B. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 am

hokahey wrote:
sonny wrote:

Yeah I've been listening to it. And I like it. It's not OMFG GUYZ favorite song ever, but it's a decent tune. When it hits the rotation on my ipod I turn it up a little. Sorry.
I sure hope we're not gonna apolagise for liking a tune???? This shouldn't be a place where you have to be ashamed because you like Jane's.

Jammyshill

#36 Post by Jammyshill » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:07 am

sonny wrote:

Not great with other peoples opinions are you?

blackula

#37 Post by blackula » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:33 am

hokahey wrote:
sonny wrote:

Be careful. Obviously you don't understand Jane's like Sonny does and you're getting close to having your listening rights to NS and RDLH revoked!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#38 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 am

My sorry was sort of sarcastic, but in the same way I'd say sorry to a friend for disagreeing with him too. It's just being polite I suppose. Sonny's a good dude. Let's not get carried away with trying to rally against him just because he's having an emotional breakdown. :hehe:

Artemis

#39 Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:55 am

I think he liked 'sonny against the world" last night. :hehe:

jptm

#40 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:55 am

so they played 'underground' live last night in pensacola... perry vocals are not very strong; but dave does it well live...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie_9KQxV6Rc

Jasper

#41 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:24 am

The band sounded tight. Perry needs two things:

1. Effects on his voice in the verses, like lots of reverb, some chorus, whatever else it takes.
2. Practice singing the song. He was totally off on the verses, especially the first one, and at times sounded like he was reading the lyrics. He was also kind of screeching the verses, but the calm, other-worldly delivery on the album is what makes it click.

One of the best parts of the album is the sound of Perry's voice on the verses of this song. Sounds very RDLH. I know it's a lot of multi-tracking and such, with the high/low thing happening, but there's gotta be plenty they can do without using backing tracks. I mean, c'mon.

His singing on the other sections of the song was much less problematic.

Glad they're adding songs. Must be awesome to be able to read up-to-the-minute fan criticism of your performances. :lol:

Larry B.

#42 Post by Larry B. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:30 am

Music is great, Perry sounds terrible.

And is it just my idea, or the opening vocals are actually pre-recorded? They sound oddly similar to the album. That would be incredibly lame, but unfortunately "incredibly lame" is well within Perry's range of action.

What pisses me off is that they just recorded that song like 5 or 6 months ago. Why would you record a song that you can't pull off live, when you're a live band and you know you're going to be playing it?

Lazy, lazy, lazy fucking Perry. Fuck you big time. You suck. Go back to making clay figures and selling them at shoe stores or shitty hotels.

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:35 am

Larry B. wrote: And is it just my idea, or the opening vocals are actually pre-recorded? They sound oddly similar to the album. That would be incredibly lame, but unfortunately "incredibly lame" is well within Perry's range of action.
that's the first thing i thought. he did "sing" it with his back to the audience too.

Jasper

#44 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:38 am

Of course the opening thing was pre-recorded. It was crystal clear, had a zillion different tracks, and sounded absolutely nothing like Perry's live singing voice in any era.

CaseyContrarian

#45 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:24 am

Jasper wrote:Of course the opening thing was pre-recorded. It was crystal clear, had a zillion different tracks, and sounded absolutely nothing like Perry's live singing voice in any era.
Yeah, but it was just the intro with the soundscape part. After that, it was all live. He made some different choices with the verses, sure, but it wasn't that bad -- pretty in keeping with how he has to pick his melodic battles these days. Still got it across, IMO.

The band sounded like Jane's. Loved hearing Dave's single-note figures without the backing tracks. I'd have been pumped to hear this from the audience, and that's saying something.
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warped

#46 Post by Warped » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:33 am

Dave was really doing great. :thumb: The music as always does not seem to be the point..

Hope Perry takes some time to practise singing it..he sounds really unprepared and out of breath also.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#47 Post by Hokahey » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:50 am

Jasper wrote:The band sounded tight. Perry needs two things:

1. Effects on his voice in the verses, like lots of reverb, some chorus, whatever else it takes.
2. Practice singing the song. He was totally off on the verses, especially the first one, and at times sounded like he was reading the lyrics. He was also kind of screeching the verses, but the calm, other-worldly delivery on the album is what makes it click.

One of the best parts of the album is the sound of Perry's voice on the verses of this song. Sounds very RDLH. I know it's a lot of multi-tracking and such, with the high/low thing happening, but there's gotta be plenty they can do without using backing tracks. I mean, c'mon.

His singing on the other sections of the song was much less problematic.

Glad they're adding songs. Must be awesome to be able to read up-to-the-minute fan criticism of your performances. :lol:

:thumb:

clickie

#48 Post by clickie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:37 am

This song is overrated. The first minute is worth listening to and then they just keep repeating everything.

trevor ayer

#49 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:15 am

there were backing trax all the way thru .. u could here them again during one of the later breakdowns .. ya know what that means? .. it means perky is not playing .. it means he is listening to a click track trying not to play over it and fuck up the synced vocal bull shit .. it means they are not playing together feeling the music, they are simply trying not to fuck up the beat .. janes addiction is a long way from underground .. more like completely washed up on the beach .. can janes transition to a lady gaga set list with synced back tracks .. will they become successful again .. no .. no and no ..

here is some good music until you find a band that fill janes shoes .. perry wont do it for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONMnpi2XXM

there is nothing on strays or escape artist that can touch this shitty soundboard live outtake from a real band you all once knew

Tyler Durden

#50 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 am

Holy fuck. Can people here stop slobbering all over the head of "Slow Divers"? There's a reason it never made an album: it's just not that good of a song. Maybe if you're stoned out of your mind, but otherwise...it's pretty mediocre.