Dave's Return?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Moschops

Re: Dave's Return?

#326 Post by Moschops » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:25 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:36 pm
I don’t remember being turned off by any of the lyrics on TGEA, unlike Strays. There was nothing amazing in there, but it was fine.
Even “You were the foreskin, I was the real head”?

SR

#327 Post by SR » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm

lol

someguy

#328 Post by someguy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 pm

Moschops wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:25 pm
Hokahey wrote:
I don’t remember being turned off by any of the lyrics on TGEA, unlike Strays. There was nothing amazing in there, but it was fine.
Im probably the only one who feels this way but the way he delivers that line Ive always thought it gives off old Perry where he’s putting piss and vinegar into it… or at least some semblance

Moschops

#329 Post by Moschops » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 pm

someguy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 pm
Moschops wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
Im probably the only one who feels this way but the way he delivers that line Ive always thought it gives off old Perry where he’s putting piss and vinegar into it… or at least some semblance
That line still makes me cringe.

Noonesshocking

#330 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:36 pm

I was actually kind of shocked when I heard TGEA for the first time because it was way better than it should have been considering SP, I Like ‘Em Big, and Eric leaving/Duff joining during the preceding couple of years. I thought the album was just completely doomed after Eric left (and truth be told I didnt even have much confidence the Reznor sessions were going to yield anything great).

Not saying I thought it was amazing, just that there was nothing on it that made recoil, and I even legitimately enjoyed a few of the songs - End to the Lies being one of them. It’s hypnotic/groove driven, Dave is doing some outside of the box stuff, and the foreskin line just always registered with me as “weird Perry” rather than “Liberace Perry”.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#331 Post by Hokahey » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:25 pm

Moschops wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
Funny you should mention it, because I left that song out when I downloaded the album and completely forgot it existed. No, that song is a piece of shit. That lyric doesn’t even make sense on any level.

elbuitre

#332 Post by elbuitre » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:28 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:43 am
elbuitre wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:59 am
someguy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 am
https://vocaroo.com/eNLIqg5zVXh

I forgot they were calling this laughing beats too and that there are were some lyrics floating around… can’t find that anymore
That sounds like Strays or the 'heavier' stuff from Satellite Party.

Self-conscious rawk :jasper:

How can sober, wealthy men in their 50s and 60s write songs that emulate their drug-addled 20s and 30s? I don't think it's possible.

They'd be better off writing gentler songs rather than attempting to recapture the harder sound of their youth, IMO.

Great news about Dave though :thumb:
I feel like that logic should only really apply to lyrics though, right?
I think it's most obvious with lyrics but I think it also applies to musicians.

Take DN for example - his playing on XXX, NS, Ritual and 1.0-era boots is so much wilder and expressive than what he's been doing since Strays. Not to say he's boring now but the spirit of his playing isn't the same. It used to sound hedonistic and untamed, which suited the songs and the band in general. How does he recapture that in his '50s when 1) he's a more rehearsed musician, 2) he's likely not as hedonistic as he used to be and 3) he's become more measured in his playing. It's not a criticism of him, just an observation of what most men are like in their 50s compared to their 20s! I think that transition also translates to the art people produce.
None of which is a problem if the new material reflects who they are now, rather than attempting to recapture the past, but I was reacting to the snippet of "Embrace the Darkness", which sounds exactly like what I hope they don't produce.

Let's have more Classic Girls, more Then She Dids and more Summertime Rolls, please.

I don't want to hear them trying to capture the energy and hedonism of Ain't No Right or Ocean Size because I don't think it would sound authentic.

Diabolik

#333 Post by Diabolik » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36 am

I think (hope) Eric will ultimately be the determining factor.

As a three piece the 2.0 stuff felt less “challenged”? Maybe that’s the wrong word — but ( I’m assuming ) without Eric there to add of shape things it all tender to be guitar driven music that wasn’t anchored in what I think Jane’s did so well.

I think Dave’s playing today is still amazing, and given the right mix of motivation and collaboration he can produce amazing and at times weird things as a mature player.

I keep thinking of True Love — and what Josh played was nice and understated, but I can’t help but wonder how Dave would(will) approach it. I tend to think less meek and more ethereal

Ugh

I’m very excited and want things Now.

autumnan

#334 Post by autumnan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:00 am

someguy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:27 am
https://vocaroo.com/eNLIqg5zVXh

...How does he recapture that in his '50s [...] just an observation of what most men are like in their 50s compared to their 20s!
With age and wisdom you can enjoy far less destructive ways of losing your inhibitions.

In youth, it's too easily a chance result, and you can waste years fooling yourself that it was all down to the "conditions" being right.

Mescal

#335 Post by Mescal » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:05 pm

I think I like 'I like ´em big' more than anything from TGEA.

I also think that 'True love' or what's it called doesn´t sound very promising.

I don´t blame them for anything though. As mentioned before: they´re 60 years old, and haven´t made music together for over 30 years. What can we expect?

Tyler Durden

#336 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm

People hating on the “foreskin” lyric while pretending this isn’t cringey…

I am the killer of people
You look like a meatball
I’ll throw away your toothpick
And ask for your giveness

eye

#337 Post by eye » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:37 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm

You look like a meatball
I’ve been listening to Jane’s since 1991 and I honestly had no idea Perry referenced a.. ‘meatball’ in the lyrics to Ted lol. I thought your post was a joke. I literally had to google the lyrics

Mescal

#338 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:50 am

eye wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:37 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm

You look like a meatball
I’ve been listening to Jane’s since 1991 and I honestly had no idea Perry referenced a.. ‘meatball’ in the lyrics to Ted lol. I thought your post was a joke. I literally had to google the lyrics
Same here :lolol: :lolol:

Noonesshocking

#339 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:21 am

Dan's most recent instagram post seems to suggest that Dave is rehearsing with the band for the tour.