April 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: April 2023 Tour Thread

#76 Post by creep » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:59 pm

lucio wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:28 pm
Daniel Ash is also mentioned in the RS interview. Having DN back, with Daniel, Troy and Josh all working in the studio adding different guitar parts making it better. If this happens with all of those guys Perry mentioned...Well now I am really interested.

They must have been writing a lot on this tour. Last year they only had 3-4 songs ready.
I thought it was somewhat interesting that Dan (Eric's guitar tech, formally Daves) said that Daniel Ash is the worst person he has ever worked for. He said he is a prick and hates him with a passion.

at 10:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGVHUl6kvk

Tyler Durden

#77 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm

creep wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:59 pm

I thought it was somewhat interesting that Dan (Eric's guitar tech, formally Daves) said that Daniel Ash is the worst person he has ever worked for. He said he is a prick and hates him with a passion.

Weird. Definitely not mincing words. I wonder if this had an impact on whether Ash is on the new album or not.

dannyboy

#78 Post by dannyboy » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 am

Apparently, it’s partly because he’s British 🤦🏻‍♂️

ESY

#79 Post by ESY » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm
creep wrote:

Weird. Definitely not mincing words. I wonder if this had an impact on whether Ash is on the new album or not.
God, I should hope not. This guy's opinion mattering on making art? Danial Ash is a respected legend - why would a guitar tech's opinion matter?? Also, read an interview recently w/ Daniel Ash about playing with Janes and he sounded very humble - basically he was nervous and wanted to make sure he didn't fuck up because he saw it as an honour to play Jane Says on stage with them. So maybe came across as a prick because of nerves?

Essence_Smith

#80 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:00 am

All I know for sure is I can't support new teeth Perry no matter what...the guy I used to dig looked like an ugly cross dresser but he had some soul & seemed like a guy I'd consider more strange than pretentious...maybe it's my old mind but no matter what I see em do nowadays I still always feel a little disappointed in them not being able to keep it rolling in 1991 :nyrexall:

crater

#81 Post by crater » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:13 pm

creep wrote:
Is this Dan fella the same guy that would do that radio show Dave did (or does? I never listened so I'm not sure if it's still a thing)

Back when I still had a twitter account years ago that person (if it is the same guy) started sending me messages out of the blue calling me names because I tweeted out how boring I thought Jane's had become and how I wasn't interested in seeing the band play the same 25+ year old songs again (this was after Strays but before TGEA) I seem to remember about 5 or more messages in a row from that dude calling me an asshole, loser, fuck head etc. and that the band wouldn't want me there anyways so I should save me money because they don't need it :lol:

So yeah ... if that's the same guy, he's a douche.

REA

#82 Post by REA » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:21 am

crater wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:13 pm
creep wrote:
Is this Dan fella the same guy that would do that radio show Dave did (or does? I never listened so I'm not sure if it's still a thing)

Back when I still had a twitter account years ago that person (if it is the same guy) started sending me messages out of the blue calling me names because I tweeted out how boring I thought Jane's had become and how I wasn't interested in seeing the band play the same 25+ year old songs again (this was after Strays but before TGEA) I seem to remember about 5 or more messages in a row from that dude calling me an asshole, loser, fuck head etc. and that the band wouldn't want me there anyways so I should save me money because they don't need it :lol:

Dave used to do a show with a yes man/nut rider named Todd. Thats who it sounds like you are describing .

bman

#83 Post by bman » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:57 am

REA wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:21 am
crater wrote:
creep wrote:

Dave used to do a show with a yes man/nut rider named Todd. Thats who it sounds like you are describing .
Lol. Yeah I kind of remember that Crater...Dan is actually a really funny guy but with a Boston attitude lol.

JOEinPHX

#84 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 pm

crater wrote:
creep wrote:

That doesn't sound like something Dan would do.

Todd either.

Maybe it was just some random psycho fan that was messaging you.

crater

#85 Post by crater » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:29 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 pm

Todd either.

I got the name wrong, but not the interaction. It was 100% the guy that worked with Dave on that radio show and he 100% came out of nowhere to rip on me for not wanting to pay to see Jane's do yet another tour of the same 10+ songs. I remember when I went to his twitter page he also was into collecting baseball memorabilia (game used bats IIRC) and even though he was being mean to me I thought it was cool that he was into that because I am too :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#86 Post by creep » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:53 pm

crater wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:29 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:

Todd either.

I got the name wrong, but not the interaction. It was 100% the guy that worked with Dave on that radio show and he 100% came out of nowhere to rip on me for not wanting to pay to see Jane's do yet another tour of the same 10+ songs. I remember when I went to his twitter page he also was into collecting baseball memorabilia (game used bats IIRC) and even though he was being mean to me I thought it was cool that he was into that because I am too :thumb:
that's dan. he collects bats.

JOEinPHX

#87 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:39 am

crater wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:29 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:

Todd either.

Oh, yeah. That's Dan for sure.

Weird.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#88 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:28 pm

In my experience, there is not a single person in that band or around that band that isn’t a little off. Sometimes it’s in a lovable way, like Pete, and other times it is a little disturbing.

Pandemonium

#89 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:11 am

creep wrote:

Doesn't surprise me. Old friend of mine who used to work at a radio station in Florida in the late 80's/early 90's interviewed Love and Rockets and spent the day watching soundcheck and singled Ash out specifically as being a real primadonna. I love his guitar playing and just about everything he's been involved in but that doesn't make him a nice guy. It's the caustic personal dynamic between Ash and Peter Murphy that's been the main reason Bauhaus just can't keep it together for more then a tour.

ESY

#90 Post by ESY » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:45 am

I have friends who got to know him when they lived in Ojai, CA which is where he lives. They actually said he was a nice guy. Maybe its when touring is involved that his claws come out? :noclue:
As for Peter Murphy - the rest of the band all find him insufferable, not just Ash. David J's book is pretty scathing in that regard.

kv

#91 Post by kv » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:13 pm

peter is a straight douche

thoreau

#92 Post by thoreau » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:29 am

kv wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:13 pm
peter is a straight douche
I read this first and thought you were referring to Pete. :lol: