JA March 2023 Tour Thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
someguy

Re: JA March 2023 Tour Thread

#401 Post by someguy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:40 pm

Caught Ted Mountain and Three Days- all sounded great

I guess they ran out of time because it seemed like Perry was bartering with someone play for a little more.

Shufflefield

#402 Post by Shufflefield » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:09 pm

I am watching the lolla stream.

I no longer feel I have to caveat "Jane's Addiction is my favorite band of all time" with "Back in the day"

Josh is just fucking perfect.

Eric/Perk were never gonna be a question performance wise.

Biggest surprise these days, maybe even bigger than Josh - Perry is fucking on point. So far every clip/show I have seen since troy has been on point from everyone involved. There is no weak link. He even looks good for his age, I like that he is letting the grey show, I like he has lines in his face, I like that he looks like an old man having a blast. I hope he has had his last face lift (his teeth are still way too perfect though).

That clip of 3 days upthread - That is what a FUCKING BAND looks like.

Exciting times from Jane's. who would have thunk it. everything NiNJA shoulda been 12 years later.

Larry B.

#403 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pm

This was my fourth time seeing Jane’s (I think) and it was *by far* the best. Yeah, Perry is still weaker than the rest, but man alive, they sounded fantastic. Eric and Josh give it the heavy, dirty vibe that was sorely missing.

I was so happy throughout the show.

And yeah, when they started Three Days there were exactly 13 minutes left in their alloted time.

Let’s see if I remember the setlist:

Up The Beach
Ain’t No Right
Pigs in Zen
Whores
Jane Says
Ted, Just Admit it
Mountain Song
Three Days

I probably got the order all wrong, but hey.

Good stuff. Really good stuff. I danced my arse off.

phenobarb_bambalam

#404 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:14 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pm
This was my fourth time seeing Jane’s (I think) and it was *by far* the best. Yeah, Perry is still weaker than the rest, but man alive, they sounded fantastic.
This is fucking excellent - I love how this seems to happen time and time again, going back to last autumn's shows. Those of us who went grudgingly or reluctantly, getting won over.

Welcome back to the fold, Larry!

thoreau

#405 Post by thoreau » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Larry B. wrote:
:banana: :banana: :banana:

I was watching and thinking, "There's no way Larry isn't enjoying this in person."

Glad it was a good one!

creep
Site Admin

#406 Post by creep » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 pm

whole show

whores

thoreau

#407 Post by thoreau » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:22 pm

Thanks, Creep!

creep
Site Admin

#408 Post by creep » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:35 pm

creep wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 pm
whole show

Just watched it and they did sound really good. It looked like they ran out of time and I like that they (probably) dropped BCS. When was the last time they didn't play it at a festival? We even got a little thank you boys before three days.

parklife03

#409 Post by parklife03 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:04 pm

Larry B. wrote:
This was my fourth time seeing Jane’s (I think) and it was *by far* the best. Yeah, Perry is still weaker than the rest, but man alive, they sounded fantastic. Eric and Josh give it the heavy, dirty vibe that was sorely missing.

I was so happy throughout the show.

And yeah, when they started Three Days there were exactly 13 minutes left in their alloted time.

Let’s see if I remember the setlist:

Up The Beach
Ain’t No Right
Pigs in Zen
Whores
Jane Says
Ted, Just Admit it
Mountain Song
Three Days

I probably got the order all wrong, but hey.

Amazing!! Are you going to the sideshow? They're going to debut the new song there, plus some other great tunes like Kettle Whistle and so on

Hokahey
Site Admin

#410 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:48 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Eric and Josh give it the heavy, dirty vibe that was sorely missing.
This is exactly fucking it. Exactly.

I just watched that whole performance and I have to say I really, really, really like Josh in this band. That Ocean Size gave me chills. I’d have never guessed Jane’s could ever do that for me again.

This is all so surreal. It’s like all of these years of hoping and waiting to get another pure dose hit of Janes Addiction has finally come, many years after assuming it never really would. How great for them and for the fans that the home stretch turned out to be the next best one after the initial run.

Diabolik

#411 Post by Diabolik » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:51 pm

What a great performance.

Josh is really beginning to own his performances. Perry sounds so invigorated

Really hope they debut Imminent Redemption before this run of shows is over

CaseyContrarian

#412 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:52 am

This Perry situation is one of the most incredible comebacks I’ve ever seen.

Regarding Josh (ducks), if I close my eyes it’s like XXX era, wilder, less well groomed. I’ll take it.

crater

#413 Post by crater » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 am

Larry B. wrote:
That's cool.

What I want to know is if you could you tell how tall each band member was? If they are looking under 5'9" I think I'm going to pass on seeing them.

Artemis

#414 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:44 am

crater wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 am
Larry B. wrote:
That's cool.

What I want to know is if you could you tell how tall each band member was? If they are looking under 5'9" I think I'm going to pass on seeing them.
:lol:

My deal breaker is Josh's MC Hammer pants.

Larry B.

#415 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

The one he wears on his head? That shit’s goofy as fuck.

nestos

#416 Post by nestos » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:14 pm

creep wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 pm
whole show

whores

wow, i haven't felt such energy in a while.

whore rocks pretty hard and the rest as well

thanks for sharing

:rockon:

thoreau

#417 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:15 pm

Artemis wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:44 am
crater wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 am
Larry B. wrote:
That's cool.

:lol:

My deal breaker is Josh's MC Hammer pants.
I don't think Josh owns a pair of trousers that are not drop-crotch these days. They've become synonymous with him. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#418 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 pm

I like that Josh has an identifiable look and unique style. I also like when he gets crazy on stage. He never does it very long. It makes me wonder if he’s been told in the past to reel it in. If so, that’s a shame. Love the energy when he gets excited.

creep
Site Admin

#419 Post by creep » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:01 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 pm
I like that Josh has an identifiable look and unique style. I also like when he gets crazy on stage. He never does it very long. It makes me wonder if he’s been told in the past to reel it in. If so, that’s a shame. Love the energy when he gets excited.
:lol: I couldn't disagree more.

I actually thought he was more reserved at the lolla show and was happy with that. At a few of the SP shows I thought he looked pretty silly jumping around and playing on his knees. It just doesn't fit Jane's. I didn't think Flea was a good fit either. :noclue:

someguy

#420 Post by someguy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 pm

I wonder how much longer Dave isn’t going to acknowledge anything whatsoever other than an occasional Instagram like. I can see that dragging out for years and Josh sticks around

Hokahey
Site Admin

#421 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:40 pm

creep wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:01 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 pm
:lol: I couldn't disagree more.

I actually thought he was more reserved at the lolla show and was happy with that. At a few of the SP shows I thought he looked pretty silly jumping around and playing on his knees. It just doesn't fit Jane's. I didn't think Flea was a good fit either. :noclue:
Loved Flea in the band. Much like Josh, he had personality and was obviously a fan of the music. For me, Janes is big, bold and chaotic. I love seeing the players involved embodying that.

Diabolik

#422 Post by Diabolik » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:02 pm

someguy wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:43 pm
I wonder how much longer Dave isn’t going to acknowledge anything whatsoever other than an occasional Instagram like. I can see that dragging out for years and Josh sticks around
I’m guessing at some point there has to be clarity

But I suspect it will be weirder for longer than anyone wants.

Here’s my prediction:

Jane’s will release 2-3 singles this summer (maybe starting very soon ) and say how these were the sessions that started the reunion and having Eric back— they’ll say Dave was too sick or not ready to record so Josh came in etc etc — we have more songs and we continue to hope Dave can be a part of things

Then one of two things happens behind the scenes. Dave is back and he records.

But I doubt that…I suspect whatever is happening behind the scene has a chance to screw up the good vibes and budding chemistry with Josh and rather derail what’s fans are loving and what’s working really really well …

Jane’s continues to record what will be an album and Josh is involved with the writing but we won’t get an official announcement ( I wish we’d get it sooner but it all seems very sensitive )

Then I suspect we’ll have a mini cycle of P4P maybe? End of summer with an EP and a string of shows in fall—but all P4P stuff could get pushed til after this Jane’s Addiction cycle

After that in late fall or early next year, Jane’s will announce a full comeback album with Josh. They’ll say Dave will always be part of our family, but we owed the fans all the music we’ve been creating

Then there’s a summer heading/co heading tour almost like a minipalooza in amphitheaters

3 openers and Jane’s Addiction — or some band like Bauhuas co headlining the “Summer Redemption” tour.
Last edited by Diabolik on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phenobarb_bambalam

#423 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 pm

someguy wrote:
The longer this charade goes on, the less it seems to matter. I don't doubt that anyone who still gives a shit about the band would still want to see the four back together, but Dave has left a void not only by not being involved, but also not even pretending to care. That vacuum has started to get filled by Josh based on the strength of the performances - it seems that even some who were anti him at the outset have come around. If the band shows itself to be functioning and delivering with this lineup, Dave's absence just seems to diminish more and more.

These shows made me feel - not something I can claim to have been the case for years. Years of Dave. It's sad, but (his health aside) I'm kind of over caring whether he's in or out.

someguy

#424 Post by someguy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:04 pm
someguy wrote:
The longer this charade goes on, the less it seems to matter. I don't doubt that anyone who still gives a shit about the band would still want to see the four back together, but Dave has left a void not only by not being involved, but also not even pretending to care. That vacuum has started to get filled by Josh based on the strength of the performances - it seems that even some who were anti him at the outset have come around. If the band shows itself to be functioning and delivering with this lineup, Dave's absence just seems to diminish more and more.

These shows made me feel - not something I can claim to have been the case for years. Years of Dave. It's sad, but (his health aside) I'm kind of over caring whether he's in or out.
Yeah, at this point I’m really into a record with Josh. If they ever recorded with Dave down the line I’m not sure how excited I would be now

It’s pretty much the same feeling for me now when John left RHCP in ‘09 when it was clear he was over it. I was really intrigued with what Josh could contribute as a writer. That’s what Janes need this time around.

Diabolik

#425 Post by Diabolik » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 pm

It’s super odd that it’s playing out the same way.

I have this gravitational pull to have Dave in the mix, but I think I’m loving this because he isn’t?

That’s not to say I wouldn’t love to see what all four of them can do.

Like, would Dave be into playing an unfinished song? Would he be cool with the set list being what it is?

all I know is Josh is really fitting in and making the old songs sound vital and there’s a nervous energy — like it could all fall apart midway but it stays on track and it’s awesome.

I think I’ve gotten so used to the karaoke version that — it’s almost a new band without Dave — but it’s still very much Jane’s Addiction