Navarro: What makes him great?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
clickie

Re: Navarro: What makes him great?

#26 Post by clickie » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:25 am

Then Rob Zombie started making all those crummy movies.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:19 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:49 am
I liked White Zombie when they were a noise rock band in the NYC underground. And when they evolved into alt metal, I dug the two studio albums they made for Geffen. But during the early to mid 90s, they were a pretty weak live act. They had an infamously bad performance at one of the MTV Awards. And Rob Zombie can’t sing live.

As for The Panic Channel, they might’ve had a fighting chance during the post-grunge rock movement of the mid to late 90s…but they were about 10 years too late; they sounded dated as fuck. Even in 1997, when this kind of music was popular, I wouldn’t have been down with it. By the numbers “alternative rock”, made for radio and to sell a shit ton of CDs within a relatively short window. Post-grunge, nu metal, pop-punk, etc…the late 90s was such a lame time for rock music. There was some good rock music at the time…but it was mostly a tsunami of shit. :lol:
Haha. I remember watching that and being disbelief how bad it was. That performance single handedly ensured I never saw them live. Not that I would have cared to anyway.

clickie

#28 Post by clickie » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:40 pm

There was that rumor white zombie wanted to play lollapalooza around 95 but Perry wasnt having it.

esqfool

#29 Post by esqfool » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 am

Wow, holy shit that White Zombie performance was bad.

clickie

#30 Post by clickie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 am

One of the things that caught my attention with white zombie they had a woman in the band.

someguy

#31 Post by someguy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Whenever I think of Rob Zombie I think of the game sled storm for PS1 and that’s about the extent of what I know about him haha

(kv edit)

Pandemonium

#32 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:20 am

clickie wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 am
One of the things that caught my attention with white zombie they had a woman in the band.
Sean Yseult later did the final tour with The Cramps in 2006 which was very cool. When I saw that tour, she was using that coffin shaped bass.

Diabolik

#33 Post by Diabolik » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Side note:

Dave’s creepy arm hole is still visible on newest Instagram post

But it’s looks like it scabbing over?

eye

#34 Post by eye » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:37 am

Jane’s Addiction is going out on tour and writing new material.. while Dave is prancing around in eye shadow, doing ads for hair extensions *cringe

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:29 am

Yes, I saw that too along with the injection hole on his forearm. Right now, DN is not a person to be counted on and has no interest in JA. That's fine. Why not announce a hiatus for personal reasons or just quit the band?!

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:30 am

eye wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:37 am
Jane’s Addiction is going out on tour and writing new material.. while Dave is prancing around in eye shadow, doing ads for hair extensions *cringe
Yup. This is really embarrassing. Worse than if him and Chaney called up Steve Issacs for a Panic Channel reunion (w/Josh Freese on drums).

lucio

#37 Post by lucio » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:17 pm

Early 90s alternative better than late 90s. Starting getting worse from 1996-7 on.

I think the Panic Channel was a way for them make a fast buck off the record label advance money and then not really care about what they put out. Perkins is also to blame for the bad music on Panic Channel.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#38 Post by Hokahey » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:56 pm

lucio wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:17 pm
Early 90s alternative better than late 90s. Starting getting worse from 1996-7 on.

I think the Panic Channel was a way for them make a fast buck off the record label advance money and then not really care about what they put out. Perkins is also to blame for the bad music on Panic Channel.
Yes, Perkins is also responsible. However, they did care about what they were putting out. They were frustrated with Perry and wanted to be a mainstream rock band making lots of money. They felt like they had a better opportunity to do that with Steve Isaacs.

elbuitre

#39 Post by elbuitre » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:25 pm

All four of them seem to have really bad taste and quality control when left to their own devices.

JOEinPHX

#40 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:29 pm

lucio wrote:

They didn't want the album to sound like that. Capitol brought in some hot shot mixer (Tom Lord-Alge I think?) at some ridiculous expense after the album was already done to make it one of those big fluffy nu-metal/post-grunge albums that was in style at the time.

They weren't happy about it. But couldn't fight the big Capitol machine.

Much like the Hypersonic demos were better than Strays, the TPC demos were better too.

JOEinPHX

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:31 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:56 pm
lucio wrote:

Yes, Perkins is also responsible. However, they did care about what they were putting out. They were frustrated with Perry and wanted to be a mainstream rock band making lots of money. They felt like they had a better opportunity to do that with Steve Isaacs.
I think it's strange you would still quote Etty Farrell all these years later, Hoka. Especially after you admitted that she had been feeding you lies about the band. 🤷🏻‍♂️

CaseyContrarian

#42 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 pm

Bottom line here is if you need a cheesedick guitar part for “Another Soulmate,” our Dave will show up on time and sober. A twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play with the original Jane’s on a flight path to legacy rehabilitation? Nah, he’d rather get high with his enabler-slash-fiancé and spray paint some cutouts.

I like his art and I like him happy, but this ain’t where it’s at.

Noonesshocking

#43 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:29 pm
lucio wrote:

They didn't want the album to sound like that. Capitol brought in some hot shot mixer (Tom Lord-Alge I think?) at some ridiculous expense after the album was already done to make it one of those big fluffy nu-metal/post-grunge albums that was in style at the time.

Much like the Hypersonic demos were better than Strays, the TPC demos were better too.
the TPC demos were not wildly different from what made the album. The songs were fundamentally commercial from the jump and the mixing decisions made later were more or less irrelevant :noclue:

SR

#44 Post by SR » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am

Got a spot confirmation for The Moon is Yours. Really debating on whether I want to go...seems it might range from dreary to dreadful. :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#45 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:31 pm
Hokahey wrote:
lucio wrote:

I think it's strange you would still quote Etty Farrell all these years later, Hoka. Especially after you admitted that she had been feeding you lies about the band. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Somewhat ironically, Etty never said anything like that. It was literally every single other person both in and surrounding the bands. :lol:

Multiple people said the band felt like they could be like Aerosmith. It was apparent that was said repeatedly.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#46 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:35 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:
lucio wrote:

the TPC demos were not wildly different from what made the album. The songs were fundamentally commercial from the jump and the mixing decisions made later were more or less irrelevant :noclue:
Exactly.

And say what you will about Satellite Party, but it was at least distinctively Perry and was not a cynical attempt at mainstream success.

Noonesshocking

#47 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:35 am
Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:06 pm
Six7Six7 wrote:
lucio wrote:

Exactly.

And say what you will about Satellite Party, but it was at least distinctively Perry and was not a cynical attempt at mainstream success.
There was stuff I liked on SP. Perfect example of a band’s aesthetic being huge impediment though. That horrendous cover really colored the listening experience, and they looked like idiots onstage.

Always thought it was interesting that Eric liked Dogstar and wanted to play on it before Pete handed it over to Perry and it became a SP song.

JOEinPHX

#48 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:38 am

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
lucio wrote:

Somewhat ironically, Etty never said anything like that. It was literally every single other person both in and surrounding the bands. :lol:

Multiple people said the band felt like they could be like Aerosmith. It was apparent that was said repeatedly.
Aerosmith?

And you think the logical path to being the next Aerosmith is to cast aside your Rolodex with the names of hundreds of known platinum-selling rockstars and instead ask your manager's former VJ boyfriend to jam in your garage?

You'll have to excuse me if their actions somehow don't match the picture you're painting.

It sounds more like you're describing Velvet Revolver. And at least with them their actions in auditioning professional singers actually match the desired outcome.

someguy

#49 Post by someguy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:56 am

I feel like Dave was by far the most into it out anyone in PC. He was always doing interviews and talking on his 6767 site everyday about it. I can see him thinking they would be the next Aerosmith. Once they got on that rockstar supernova tour it was apparent to at least Chaney it wasn’t going anywhere and that’s why he bailed.

When I was at Stephen’s drum clinic back in 2016 they were still trying to make plans to play together again which was surprising to me

Hokahey
Site Admin

#50 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:38 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:38 am
Hokahey wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:34 am
Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
lucio wrote:

Aerosmith?

And you think the logical path to being the next Aerosmith is to cast aside your Rolodex with the names of hundreds of known platinum-selling rockstars and instead ask your manager's former VJ boyfriend to jam in your garage?

You'll have to excuse me if their actions somehow don't match the picture you're painting.

It sounds more like you're describing Velvet Revolver. And at least with them their actions in auditioning professional singers actually match the desired outcome.
They were well aware it would be perceived as replacing Perry if they did that instead of being their own unique band with a non celeb front man.

In terms of perception and desired levels of success, it was painfully clear how accurate it was. Those guys thought they’d get someone that wouldn’t have any strong opinions like Perry and have a successful RAWK band that could sustain a lengthy commercial career. They wanted to be stars.