Re: Navarro: What makes him great?

#101 Post by lucio » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:09 am

dannyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:32 am
LifeIsLoud wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:05 pm
clickie wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:43 am
Does Dave still live in that house when he was on an episode of Cribs? It looked so cool.
2 years ago anyways, he was living here (second half of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzyzu9g ... ockStudios

I just watched the video. It struck me when Dave is taking about the guitars he has hanging up but then says he doesn’t want music stuff in the house because “I don’t wanna bring work home”

It’s like he really isn’t into making music at all anymore (and this is pre long Covid) , which to be fair we’ve all sensed. It’s not even like he’s done much music in the last 10 years anyway so it’s weird that he considers it “work”.

It wouldn’t be so hard to understand, I suppose, but Jane’s are so magical and his chemistry with eric, Stephen and Perry is so great that you’d think he would be more excited about making new music. I do understand reluctance to tour at the moment but if they just jammed and wrote acoustically like they used to in the wiltern house, couldn’t that be another positive in his life?
DN not liking music or its work for him now I wouldn't want him in the studio with JA =JA tracks even worse than Bring The Mood and Superhero.

eye

#102 Post by eye » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:32 am

Dave hasn't seemed passionate about music for a long, long time. Decades in fact.

The last time he seemed genuinely excited was when Eric rejoined at the beginning of 2.0.. even then Eric, mentioned during the sonny interviews that during writing sessions Dave was sometimes into it .. sometimes wasn't. :noclue:

It seemed very telling that during that recent Dave interview (where he seemed loaded) there was no mention of Jane's Addiction in the future .. even while the rest of the band were currently in the studio writing/recording new material. Not thrilled about klinghoffer at all.

What the odds of Dave returning? you think he's out permanently and over it?

I follow DN on IG and I'm sick and tired of his feed tbh

Tyler Durden

#103 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:00 pm

If Dave is out (which he appears to be, as far as I'm concerned), what's the point of not making an official announcement (from him or Jane's) that he has left the band? It seems like cruel and unusual punishment to the fans. I can't stand when a band goes on an indefinite "hiatus" and then after many years you finally conclude that they broke up and for whatever reason, never went public with it. Super frustrating.

dannyboy

#104 Post by dannyboy » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:59 am

eye wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:32 am
Dave hasn't seemed passionate about music for a long, long time. Decades in fact.

The last time he seemed genuinely excited was when Eric rejoined at the beginning of 2.0.. even then Eric, mentioned during the sonny interviews that during writing sessions Dave was sometimes into it .. sometimes wasn't. :noclue:

It seemed very telling that during that recent Dave interview (where he seemed loaded) there was no mention of Jane's Addiction in the future .. even while the rest of the band were currently in the studio writing/recording new material. Not thrilled about klinghoffer at all.

What the odds of Dave returning? you think he's out permanently and over it?

I follow DN on IG and I'm sick and tired of his feed tbh
I think in an old interview from when he was still in RHCP Dave said that while on tour some nights he would be in to it and other nights he'd just be thinking about the money. At least he's honest! But I think changeable moods and levels of motivation could well be part of his mental illness struggles.

SR

#105 Post by SR » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:26 am

dannyboy wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:32 am
SR wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:34 am
It's cute he equates music making, contributing to the cultural landscape, and providing overall joy to people as work. As if he should grind it out day in and day out for a sub living wage and be made to feel he should be grateful for it. But I get it...he's been in a cover band for 20 years.

There was a really cool story about the return of the Nothing Shocking Ibanez after it was lost in the early 90's....did I read he gifted it to Taylor's son? Along with Prince's Mad Cat, Froosh's sunburst Strat, and some others, it's a fuckin treasure.
To be fair, I dont think Eric, Perry or Stephen have been much more prolific. Even Martyn doesn't seem to do that much? Chaney is the one most committed to music.
Agreed, but I wasn't talking about output. In life, he just seems a bit tone deaf. To a degree I understand...addiction and depression are not easy hurdles. And I can't even imagine what the nightmare involving his mother did to him. But from the info I can go by, he doesn't and hasn't for some time now care about artistry. As a person who can be moved by a Kodak commercial, I wonder if listening to music still moves him., if it ever did

elbuitre

#106 Post by elbuitre » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:55 am

I don't think Dave is getting the respect he deserves in this thread. Yes, he's made some bad artistic choices over the years but so have many of the greatest musicians/artists of the last 60 years.

His playing in 1.0 was so good and doesn't sound like the hair metal groups that people like to suggest he has more in common with. Even by Relapse (by which stage he'd become more of a celebrity figure), his playing is psychedelic and weird, not basic '80s cock rock in any way.

I seriously hope he's part of new Jane's music or it's not true Jane's to me.

CaseyContrarian

#107 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:41 pm

Unless I missed something, Dave hasn’t posted anything in a little while. Maybe he’s in the studio recording Jane’s stuff. :balls:

eye

#108 Post by eye » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:32 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:41 pm
Unless I missed something, Dave hasn’t posted anything in a little while. Maybe he’s in the studio recording Jane’s stuff. :balls:
Rehab?

esqfool

#109 Post by esqfool » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:31 pm

I too had noticed he's been quiet after posting constantly. Hope he's getting healthy.

Artemis

#110 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 am

Last post on Insta was Feb 18th. I too hope he's well whatever he's doing. My dream outcome is that he's currently working on new JA music and when it's finished, he'll come on here to call us sons of bitches for writing him off. 😄

clickie

#111 Post by clickie » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:05 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 am
Last post on Insta was Feb 18th. I too hope he's well whatever he's doing. My dream outcome is that he's currently working on new JA music and when it's finished, he'll come on here to call us sons of bitches for writing him off. 😄
On that old hello kitty site one time I doubted something ozmic said about pete, I cant remember what it was.Then the next day pete showed up out of the blue and scolded me.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#112 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:43 am

Artemis wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 am
I remember him calling me an asshole once during an interview or something. I couldn’t argue that.

eye

#113 Post by eye » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:24 pm

yup.. I want Dave to return a conquering hero and blow us all away with his guitar playing on the new songs .. and shut us the fuck up

Hokahey
Site Admin

#114 Post by Hokahey » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:43 pm

eye wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:24 pm
yup.. I want Dave to return a conquering hero and blow us all away with his guitar playing on the new songs .. and shut us the fuck up
I would think we’re all rooting for that.

thoreau

#115 Post by thoreau » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:25 am

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:43 pm
eye wrote:
:thumb:

autumnan

#116 Post by autumnan » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:23 pm

I've been stuck in with Covid myself this week, but a friend kindly posted a copy of Whores (the book) over to keep me amused. It's revealing about Dave as a person (well, everyone really). I found his family background really interesting, with this looming patriarchal figure overshadowing their lives. As a kid prodigy figure he has a lot in common with Slash too, like he was easily brilliant, but had to just fuck around and be a dick to compound people's expectations. What a fucking nutty period it all was.

Hype

#117 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:40 am

thoreau wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:25 am
Hokahey wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:43 pm
eye wrote:
:thumb:
So we're just stuck hoping Dave suddenly drops his interest in that art stuff and his fiancee and finally comes back to make music with a 30+ year old band when he openly says that music is just a phase he goes through sometimes and he doesn't practice...etc? Okay, I get it, we want something amazing from this dude that used to be amazing, but it really doesn't seem possible right now.

clickie

#118 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am

Well i'm one of the few believers that Dave is having health issues with the long covid. It's one thing to compare going on tour with painting street signs or whatever he does.

clickie

#119 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:16 am

I think Dave wants to be there more than we know it. He doesn't just bail out with no explanation.

Diabolik

#120 Post by Diabolik » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:23 am

He been pretty silent on social of late

Almost a month since an Instagram post

Artemis

#121 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:47 am

Yep, nothing. I checked the fiancee's Insta too and last post was on Feb 14.

I hope the silence means DN's is taking care of himself.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#122 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:10 pm

clickie wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am
Well i'm one of the few believers that Dave is having health issues with the long covid. It's one thing to compare going on tour with painting street signs or whatever he does.
Did you forget about the gaping hole in his arm?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#123 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:47 am
Yep, nothing. I checked the fiancee's Insta too and last post was on Feb 14.

I hope the silence means DN's is taking care of himself.
They were posting like crazy for a while there. It would seem undoubtable that they are seeking treatment.

eye

#124 Post by eye » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:40 pm

Hate to gossip but... If you view the posts Dave is tagged in on his IG - there's a photo shoot of him and his fiancé posing for hair extension shots together back in Jan/Feb and you can clearly see heavy track marks up both Dave's forearms.

I'd think/hope they're both currently seeking treatment, given the radio silence. I wish the guy well

Hokahey
Site Admin

#125 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:45 pm

eye wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:40 pm
Hate to gossip but... If you view the posts Dave is tagged in on his IG - there's a photo shoot of him and his fiancé posing for hair extension shots together back in Jan/Feb and you can clearly see heavy track marks up both Dave's forearms.

I'd think/hope they're both currently seeking treatment, given the radio silence. I wish the guy well
Wow I didn’t even notice those ones previously. Jesus. I hope he’s getting help right now and hasn’t just dropped off the grid or something.

We’ve all talked a little shit but I think we all most importantly want him to be ok, and also prefer him back in Janes than not.

Very very sad.