Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Re: Official Dallas/first night of Spirits On Fire tour thread

#81 Post by bman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:26 am

Guitar definitely sounds weird, and arena shows are lame. Oh well. It's just music.

CaseyContrarian

#82 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:39 am

The energy is there, and it’s because of the rhythm section. It’s really incredible what Eric brings. And the songs are not tuned down a whole step.

It’s SUCH A FUCKING DRAG that Dave isn’t there, and I’m not going to stop feeling that way. Honestly, I expected more / better from Troy, who is a fine player, I suppose, but simply doesn’t have it for this gig. Sigh.

ESY

#83 Post by ESY » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 am

Perry sounds as good as you could hope. Guitar is a hard no.

CaseyContrarian

#84 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:51 am

Check out one year ago to hear what’s missing. Perry sounds shockingly good; DN slays. If only it was the OG rhythm section.

https://youtu.be/ejbkAO3_JEI

Maybe this is the gig where Dave caught Covid? :nyrexall:

someguy

#85 Post by someguy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:57 am

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:51 am
Check out one year ago to hear what’s missing. Perry sounds shockingly good; DN slays. If only it was the OG rhythm section.

https://youtu.be/ejbkAO3_JEI

Maybe this is the gig where Dave caught Covid? :nyrexall:
I was at this show- I went with no expectations and was resigned to the fact that this is how it was going to be with Chris. It was a good show. Never would’ve guessed what would transpire over the course of the year

It sounds like he got around it the time they did the above ground show last December

Diabolik

#86 Post by Diabolik » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:16 am

Phaser on ANR is cool

The entire 2 songs I was nervous — which might be good?

One thing that Jane’s of the last decade was known for was the predictability ? And weirder I’m realizing it may have been Dave’s note for note recreations live.

That Three Says was weird and scary and I kept thinking it was going off the rails but it didn’t?

If Dave was with the band playing I can only imagine how great it would be. Perry sounded great

Artemis

#87 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:25 am

On FB,on the Ultimate Classic Rock page,I saw a little review and couple of youtubes (Jane Says & Ted, Three Days)from the show last night.

**Previously posted. I just noticed after I posted these. Oh well..lol

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/janes-a ... .com/watch?

Last edited by Artemis on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

parklife03

#88 Post by parklife03 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:36 am

I actually like it.

killerlax22

#89 Post by killerlax22 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:11 am

Eric sounds great! Him and Perk pair perfectly together, as everyone has stated. Perry's voice sounds pretty strong, just like the PFP shows. I like the change of pace of Troy on guitar. Not hearing Dave play the same exact solos ad nauseam is refreshing. I wish it was Pete out there though.

The dancers... Oy. As Etty gets older, she is transitioning from a camel toe to a moose knuckle. 😬 :jasper:

CaseyContrarian

#90 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:20 am

killerlax22 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:11 am
Eric sounds great! Him and Perk pair perfectly together, as everyone has stated. Perry's voice sounds pretty strong, just like the PFP shows. I like the change of pace of Troy on guitar. Not hearing Dave play the same exact solos ad nauseam is refreshing. I wish it was Pete out there though.

The dancers... Oy. As Etty gets older, she is transitioning from a camel toe to a moose knuckle. 😬 :jasper:

Dave most certainly doesn’t play the exact same thing.

One thing I’ll give this that Diabolik mentioned is that is has a certain edge, because you never know if any of the guitar stuff will stick. In my opinion, it doesn’t work all that well. But mostly it’s the missed opportunity yet again to have a functioning JA that sounds good with all the crucial elements in place.

Also, and I truly hate saying this because it makes me feel like an ass, but if something is high level and then it’s gone, but I personally am able to do that thing, it pisses me off even more. Troy’s Three Days solo hurt my soul. But that’s my problem. I’m always happy when people like something. And it’s really special hearing that rhythm section at full tilt. God, I hope Dave gets his shit together soon.

CaseyContrarian

#91 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:20 am

Sorry, I’m going to let this go now. Thanks for being there.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH

CaseyContrarian

#92 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 am

I do think Pete would be better at approximating Navarro’s parts with his own spin. I’m betting he was asked but turned it down.

trevor ayer

#93 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:38 am

Troy blows .. sounds like he learned this shit 2 weeks ago .. shoulda got a JF type that was a ongtime fan of the band and could lean into daves metal style .. sloppy wanking .. its not the concept of dancers its just these motley crue video rejects have zero rythem or artistry .. cheap and clunky .. but yeah .. eric and steve are killer .. pete coulda pulled it off but its not really his style and pfp have their own thing that is really great .. glad he stayed away but man if u need wash out flange over what should be some tight metal riffage on ANR then u just aren't putting in the work to get the gig .. 3 days solo aint that hard but he still fucked it up .. hope dave returns but seems everyones get outta jail card is the big C .. and hollywood itis sounds more like too fresh off junk to risk a tour where it's too tempting .. :noclue:

CaseyContrarian

#94 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 am

At any rate, today I am celebrating the rare and precious jewel that is Dave Navarro.

bman

#95 Post by bman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:05 am

Who was that guitarist who filled in for Nuno after he split Satellite Party? That guy was a shredder.

Tyler Durden

#96 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:30 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:56 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:36 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:30 pm
I have good seats for the Toronto date. I’ve already posted them for sale. :lol:
That's...dramatic.
Nah…too many strikes against them.

No Dave
Short set
No new material
Only “rare” song is 1%
Nothing special about stage design/show
Arena venue
In addition to these strikes against them, there are personal variables that come into play for why I won’t end up going (unless I can’t get rid of my tickets). Covid is still out there and I have a three month old baby at home. I’m lucky the wifey even gave me the green light to begin with. But at the end of the day, I’m not sure this is really worth the bother.

autumnan

#97 Post by autumnan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:50 am

Tough gig for them - the audience are like fucking statues!!!

They all sound good though. ANR was kickin', I liked Troy's energy, the wah was even a bit reminiscent of Pete D. If I'm not looking at the screen a lot of it is close enough to slip past undetected.

The screen isn't adding much. Should've animated some of Dave's spray-can work as a way of keeping him on the stage.

CaseyContrarian

#98 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:01 am

Having watched ANR a few dozen times I can say I love the tribal punk energy being back, and TVL’s solo was just fine. None of the guitar playing on Three Days feels right.

I hope someone uploads a closer to pro-shot video soon for one of these early shows. That said, the couple of available vids have good enough sound that you can tell what’s going on. Eric is very, um, obvious.

CaseyContrarian

#99 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:10 am

I take that back, some of the improv outro solo on Three Days had balls. The speed picking was silly / awesome.

Hype

#100 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am

I like the slight differences in the 3Days solo. They thwart expectation, sometimes in interesting ways, and make me perk up when it sounds like the original again. They need to turn EA up in the mix though.

I think that rendition of Jane Says is more off than the other two songs. It's way, way, too slow.

Just listened to the Pumpkins' Cherub Rock from their set... it's in a totally different league. Holy shit.

CaseyContrarian

#101 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am

Hype wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
I like the slight differences in the 3Days solo. They thwart expectation, sometimes in interesting ways, and make me perk up when it sounds like the original again. They need to turn EA up in the mix though.

I think that rendition of Jane Says is more off than the other two songs. It's way, way, too slow.

Just listened to the Pumpkins' Cherub Rock from their set... it's in a totally different league. Holy shit.
Different league of crap? I just watched two different videos of Cherub from last night and both sounded awful, which is to say, like SP live. ;-)

bman

#102 Post by bman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:33 pm

Whores. Sounds good. Lame crowd. Don't need the dancers during whores. They should only be there for Ted and Three days imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFngWsQ8vz0

Pandemonium

#104 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:37 pm

For me, the biggest negative remains the stupid stripper shit on playground monkey bars routine. It's completely distracting and looks made up on the spot. There's one brief clip where it appears one blonde chick banged into the other one right in the face knocking her backwards while swinging upside down. It's honestly so far removed from the '97 tour or even 2001 where at least they were well integrated with Perry and the band and actually added to the visual experience. Etty's rocking horse thing during Ted is the warm brown icing on the cake. At least there's no suspension girls - that shit is long past it's expiration date.

Musically, the band sounds better then I expected, especially for a 1st show. Eric adds so much muscle to the bottom end that anchors whatever differences or arguable deficiencies in Van Leeuwen's guitar playing. ANR sounded great, 3 Days needs work to tighten up the guitar parts. The arrangement of Janes Says sucks. Another plus is no fucking pew-pew keyboards. Perry sounded good, not great. And thank God they aren't playing a whole step down.

Finally, shake up to Goddamned setlist. Even within the restrictions of playing the 1st 3 albums this would be at least interesting:

Chip Away
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Ain't No Right
Stop
Whores
1%
Kettle Whistle
Ted
Three Days
Classic Girl
Jane Says
Would For You

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am
Hype wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am

Different league of crap? I just watched two different videos of Cherub from last night and both sounded awful, which is to say, like SP live. ;-)
:lol: You do resemble your username, after all.