Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Re: Official Spirits On Fire tour thread

#851 Post by bman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:45 am

OMG that is so good. Holy shit are we in end times lol. Perry and Eric are buds and everyone on this site love Janes lol. What is happening!
PLEASE do a proper JA summer tour.

SR

#852 Post by SR » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 am

What the fuck is going on with them? The legacy ruining decades long run is in serious retrograde. To the earlier vid of the moment PF and EA shared, I'd like to think I get it....getting older, and losing a ton of friends, the weight of age on the body and mind can seriously relax things that seemed important for so long.

My 2 pennies on Josh. I though his time in RHCP produced some really great music (far better than the last 2 drops), and I think JF should acknowledge it in the live set. And Dot Hacker is fantastic. Saw them open for Jane's in Echo Park when EA re-joined last time, and they were hypnotic. And he seems like a great guy.

Everybody's Friend

#853 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:55 am

I believe them playing that song after all these years (and to be clear....wow) is a herald of the return of PaintsRdri (or whatever he called himself) and THEN it's end of times...

Tyler Durden

#854 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:00 am

someguy wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am
It’s apparent now that TGEA was made out of a sheer frustration “I’ll show you” mentality. He wanted to work with Eric all along
Nah, that was obvious from day one.

Diabolik

#855 Post by Diabolik » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:04 am

I can’t get over how good that performance was

Also Josh playing half the set with them has very serious 2007 vibes when he basically did that with RHCP as a suspected way to join them with JF leaving

SR

#856 Post by SR » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:31 am

D, that's an interesting take...hadn't crossed my mind. As much as I love Josh, I'd have serious concerns about his participation. He's a multi-instrumentalist, which is good and his guitar playing has improved dramatically in the last 10 years, but he struggled mightily with the RHCP catalogue for a really long time after he joined. I took my kiddo and a bunch of his friends to the IWY tour, and there were a shit ton of glaring errors. And prior to that, RHCP did a live concert that was shown in movie theaters and that almost made me cry. One take was so bad, Flea insisted on repeating the song. But who the fuck knows. For me, this pivot celebration back to the roots is fun to watch. And Troy is fantabulistic. :rockon:

Tyler Durden

#857 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:49 am

No one should be replacing Dave in any permanent way. I just don’t like Josh’s vibe. He never seems to acknowledge the audience and he does shit like playing on his knees like some “guitar god” or something. Again, it reminds me of someone jamming alone in their bedroom. I don’t like it.

someguy

#858 Post by someguy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:06 pm

SR wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:31 am
D, that's an interesting take...hadn't crossed my mind. As much as I love Josh, I'd have serious concerns about his participation. He's a multi-instrumentalist, which is good and his guitar playing has improved dramatically in the last 10 years, but he struggled mightily with the RHCP catalogue for a really long time after he joined. I took my kiddo and a bunch of his friends to the IWY tour, and there were a shit ton of glaring errors. And prior to that, RHCP did a live concert that was shown in movie theaters and that almost made me cry. One take was so bad, Flea insisted on repeating the song. But who the fuck knows. For me, this pivot celebration back to the roots is fun to watch. And Troy is fantabulistic. :rockon:
Yeah, the beginning of the IWY tour he was struggling hard but he found his footing about a year in. For the rest of his tenure, he was great. By his own admission he hadn’t been playing guitar when asked to join RHCP. I think they recognized that they needed someone who could write songs at that point in time and the rest they could figure out later. It also huge that he’s a good hang that works well with others. It no coincidence he gets all the opportunities that he’s gotten.

No chance he writes with Janes but as far as touring in the future potentially without Dave, he will be the guy once Troy is all in with Queens

Hokahey
Site Admin

#859 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm going to hold out hope we have new music from the original 4 by Spring and a tour with all of them in the summer.

Diabolik

#860 Post by Diabolik » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:15 pm

That would be awesome

And I agree I don’t want Josh to be the guy—bjt it feels like there’s a 50/50 chance Dave doesn't come back and if he’s not gonna contribute — I still need new Perry and Eric music

Maybe Dave can like be the studio guy and just not your. Be like Brian Wilson

I just need new music

mockbee

#861 Post by mockbee » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:42 pm

creep wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:04 pm
i also read that they played then she did tonight
You didn't go to the sf show?
Can't blame you. Essentially janes an opener at an arena show, no thanks.

What a hit and miss tour. Skipped canada, philly and portland. Glad I didn't spring for pdx tickets, was definitely tempted with the good perry/eric vibe. Thatd be something to see them really on it this late in the game.

thoreau

#862 Post by thoreau » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:45 pm

Holy crap that was sooo friggin' good.

I think we're past the point of calling this a fluke.

Artemis

#863 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:06 pm

Wow, that vid was excellent! Nice find and thanx for posting! :tiphat:

The band and Perry sounded incredible! I hope this song becomes part of the regular rotation for the next solo JA tour with new songs and DN!

I wish I could twitch my nose like Samantha to make it so! :lol:

Noonesshocking

#864 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Here's the full SF show. The emotional moment is about 30 minutes in.

Sorry always forget how to fuckin' embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8b0NneH84

creep
Site Admin

#865 Post by creep » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:24 pm

mockbee wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:42 pm
creep wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:04 pm
i also read that they played then she did tonight
You didn't go to the sf show?
Can't blame you. Essentially janes an opener at an arena show, no thanks.
yeah...arena show, opening act on a work night didn't draw me in. I also live out in the country now and it's a 2 1/2 hr drive to the city. :oldtimer:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#866 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:58 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:19 pm
Here's the full SF show. The emotional moment is about 30 minutes in.

Sorry always forget how to fuckin' embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8b0NneH84
Jesus. If only they'd figured this out 20+ years ago.

Edit - I've been watching some Relapse and Jubilee videos. Flea and Martyn both filled in admirably, but those would have been otherworldly with Eric in tow. It's really fucking bittersweet to witness this. As good as it is, it's another reminder how much time they fucking lost. Perry is pushing SEVENTY. Good God.

Diabolik

#867 Post by Diabolik » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:35 pm

That’s a top five moment there with Eric and Perry.

Neve in a million years would I have thought that was possible.

🥺

Hokahey
Site Admin

#868 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:29 pm

Controversial opinion?

Dave or no Dave, this must go on.

HiHeHo

#869 Post by HiHeHo » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Smaller venues with Janes headlining with mostly Janes fans. Same lineup would be amazing. Dave would be a dream. But show must go on. Perry’s vocals and echo are spot on and Eric and Perk are alive and just rumble through you. Guitar player is raw sounding. I would love to see Dave again or with 2 guitars like people are seeing now for some songs. Tour the 3 (hopefully bad ass) songs and work on new ones while touring together.

My only complaint this tour would be the SP fans (drunk group) talking shit about Perry’s banter or the married lady next to me hitting on me.

Tyler Durden

#870 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:51 pm

In the event that Dave doesn’t come back, I want Pete! :pete:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#871 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:17 pm

HiHeHo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Smaller venues with Janes headlining with mostly Janes fans. Same lineup would be amazing. Dave would be a dream. But show must go on. Perry’s vocals and echo are spot on and Eric and Perk are alive and just rumble through you. Guitar player is raw sounding. I would love to see Dave again or with 2 guitars like people are seeing now for some songs. Tour the 3 (hopefully bad ass) songs and work on new ones while touring together.

My only complaint this tour would be the SP fans (drunk group) talking shit about Perry’s banter or the married lady next to me hitting on me.
I was too busy going fucking bananas during Jane's set to have any care about the SP fans around me. Then again, I'm a SP fan. Just not for anything released in the past 25+ years. :lol:

I enjoyed seeing Zwan more.

someguy

#872 Post by someguy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:29 pm
Controversial opinion?

Agreed- I want the original lineup but it’s frustrating to see him hold out with long Covid when his wife/gf posts a pic of him smoking cigarettes… maybe he’ll be at the Hollywood bowl

Diabolik

#873 Post by Diabolik » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Controversial opinion?

Co-signed.

thoreau

#874 Post by thoreau » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Controversial opinion?

Absolutely, I'm right there too

drwintercreeper

#875 Post by drwintercreeper » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:17 pm
HiHeHo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 pm

I was too busy going fucking bananas during Jane's set to have any care about the SP fans around me. Then again, I'm a SP fan. Just not for anything released in the past 25+ years. :lol:

I enjoyed seeing Zwan more.
Did you see zwan at the blue note in april 2002? That show was great. They wrote like 3-4 albums worth of material but then put out the turd that was mary star in 03.

Glorious was a great tune that just disappeared like so many other of the set they were playing in late 01.

I digress.