It’s Official - Dave is sitting out the tour

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
S&M

Re: It’s Official - Dave is sitting out the tour

#51 Post by S&M » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:06 am

And Dave acting like it’s really OK go have fun doesn’t make me feel very happy?

S&M

#52 Post by S&M » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:13 am

I mean, I have fucking long Covid… I am exhausted!! Constantly tired!! I get it!!! I can’t walk out to my alley and grab my garbage can without being winded!!.. But it isn’t like Dave is going to be working in the coal mine!!! I mean come on? 🤔 Something more going on?

dannyboy

#53 Post by dannyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:35 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:39 am
As I stated before Dave’s absence was made official, Pete is the only logical/worthy substitute. But given what we’re now being offered, I MIGHT settle for Josh Klinghoffer. :noclue: :lol: :nyrexall:

I guess the only thing that separates Etty from being the new guitarist for Jane’s Addiction is $1,000 manicures.

Froosh :thumb: would be by absolute number one. That’d be incredible! But yeah, Pete or Josh would be my choices otherwise

dannyboy

#54 Post by dannyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:44 am

I wonder how long Troy has been in the picture.

I’d never have guessed him as the guy but it might be good?

S&M

#55 Post by S&M » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:47 am

You guys are all replacing Dave without regret? .. Oh this guy would be great to replace him? That’s just fucking weird for me?. I don’t roll that way? .. Jane’s addiction is a legacy band, It either exist or it’s dead!!

dannyboy

#56 Post by dannyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:51 am

I get pretty excited about my favourite musicians swapping roles or playing together . I wish they did it more.

S&M

#57 Post by S&M » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:52 am

As a guitarist myself, Dave Navarro is just fucking amazing!! You don’t just drop another guitarist in there? Everything he does is really textural .. He plays for the song not for kicks. In fact, I think that’s why he lost some of his fast chops? ..You don’t just drop another guy into Jane’s ..He is Jane’s!! .. Do any of you suggesting this actually play guitar?

Hype

#58 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:57 am

S&M wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:52 am
As a guitarist myself, Dave Navarro is just fucking amazing!! You don’t just drop another guitarist in there? Everything he does is really textural .. He plays for the song not for kicks. In fact, I think that’s why he lost some of his fast chops? ..You don’t just drop another guy into Jane’s ..He is Jane’s!! .. Do any of you suggesting this actually play guitar?
I've heard Jane's Addiction before Dave was in the band. It sounded pretty much the same. :noclue:

parklife03

#59 Post by parklife03 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:59 am

I totally respect if a member has to step back for a while (for whatever reason), but the thing is the way you deal with that and how you communicate it.
Troy is an excelent guitar player, he's really capable, and in this case... I must say that I prefer to see a 100% "into it" good replacement, than a 50% version of what Navarro was the last years.
Whatever is going on with Dave, I just hope he feels better.

S&M

#60 Post by S&M » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 am

Hype you have been around way too long to take that attitude and I don’t know about this “park guy “ or whatever?.. I too have been around a very long time and those early versions of Jane’s Addiction songs were never what they became!! You know better!! ..A riff is a start not its fruition? ..I mean I get it if Dave himself is telling you to go have fun and enjoy the show then do that!!.. And if Eric Avery is enough to make it cool enjoy!!! ..It is not Jane’s Addiction without Dave period!!!

Hype

#61 Post by Hype » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:22 am

S&M wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 am
Hype you have been around way too long to take that attitude and I don’t know about this “park guy “ or whatever?.. I too have been around a very long time and those early versions of Jane’s Addiction songs were never what they became!! You know better!! ..A riff is a start not its fruition? ..I mean I get it if Dave himself is telling you to go have fun and enjoy the show then do that!!.. And if Eric Avery is enough to make it cool enjoy!!! ..It is not Jane’s Addiction without Dave period!!!
I understand what you're trying to say, but I think my response is that whatever it is that was going to happen on this tour, it was not really Jane's Addiction in the sense you mean anyway. None of these guys are who they were 35 years ago. As a nostalgia event I can understand wanting to see Dave there, but that's about it. It's not like he was going to improvise a new amazing solo we've never heard before, or add any energy or excitement to the songs we've heard ad nauseam.

I can honestly say that I would rather go see Perry and EA do a throwback bass and vox only set at a small club after the arena show than the arena show itself, even if Perry's voice is shot. At least that would be interesting.

Artemis

#62 Post by Artemis » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:23 am

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:58 pm
Artemis wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 pm
I was curious about Troy Van Leeuwen and The Damned connection and found out he replaced Captain Sensible earlier this year on their tour.

Reading the comments on FB and a lot of people are unhappy. Someone wrote they spent $1000 on front row seats!
If they had any integrity they'd offer refunds. It's been pretty clear he wouldn't be there, and they offered zero indications on their own minus P4P replacing Jane's at Lolla.
Exactly! They've demonstrated that they have zero integrity.
As many have said, it's how this situation has been handled that leaves a bad taste. Of course, we all wish Dave well to get through whatever is going on, but this announcement days before a tour is unacceptable. Dave didn't suddenly fall ill to make a last-minute announcement like this. Obviously, the fans aren't going to be privy to all the internal details, but more communication to explain what's been happening in general would have been very much appreciated by the fans. I think things could have gone more smoothly if JA hired a proper PR company to manage this situation. So far, everything has been handled in a half-assed and unprofessional way. Just look at the incomplete "new" website with a spelling mistake. :eyes: :lol:

Seeing Dave gallivanting about makes it more difficult to have some compassion. I suppose that's part of his healing and therapy. :noclue:

Bet you're glad you got those $20 tickets now.

parklife03

#63 Post by parklife03 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:29 am

Remember that the same thing happened in Latin America in March of this year - but without a replacement guitarist and without offering refunds (because it was part of Lollapalooza, so you couldn't get one).

They just pulled off AND put a rapper in their slot. Many people found out during the event itself :balls:.

SR

#64 Post by SR » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:38 am

They don't care enough to say a proper fuck you.

Tyler Durden

#65 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:48 am

The argument that “It’s not Jane’s Addiction without all four original members” is moot; as superfans, we all know this already.

But for a JA from an alternate universe or bizarro world, I’d much rather it have been a guitarist from a band that was from the same era or ilk as the original band. Hell, give me Daniel Ash or Billy Duffy (or yes, Frusciante)…but some guy I’ve never heard of, who’s been in a bunch of more recent unrelated bands (with the exception of The Damned), no thank you. Super weird (and desperate) choice.

Easton

#66 Post by Easton » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:01 am

In all honesty I'm really surprised so many people in this group don't seem to know who Troy van Leeuwen is.

But yeah, Jane's without Navarro is weird. It's kinda like The Stones without Keef or Aerosmith without Joe Perry.

Bandit72

#67 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:03 am

People were still seeing Jane's (myself included) without Eric? :noclue:

Diabolik

#68 Post by Diabolik » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 am

Is Troy the choice you make because you have to find someone in a week?

Like he’s a dependable player that can learn 20 songs in a day or so? Also he’s like road tested and not a fuck up…

Like the no Pete thing is weird too..maybe he’s not reliable?

Everything about this is weird

Pandemonium

#69 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 am

Easton wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:01 am
In all honesty I'm really surprised so many people in this group don't seem to know who Troy van Leeuwen is.

But yeah, Jane's without Navarro is weird. It's kinda like The Stones without Keef or Aerosmith without Joe Perry.
His (Van Leeuwen's) sound can be very stomp box echo/delay atmospheric which will probably suit a lot of the Nothings Shocking stuff like Ocean Size, Summertime Rolls, etc really well but it remains to be seen how well he'll sound and play the more straight ahead fast rockers like Stop, ANR, ect. Three Days will make or break 'em. Also curious if anything past Ritual will be played.

ESY

#70 Post by ESY » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:28 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:48 am
The argument that “It’s not Jane’s Addiction without all four original members” is moot; as superfans, we all know this already.

But for a JA from an alternate universe or bizarro world, I’d much rather it have been a guitarist from a band that was from the same era or ilk as the original band. Hell, give me Daniel Ash or Billy Duffy (or yes, Frusciante)…but some guy I’ve never heard of, who’s been in a bunch of more recent unrelated bands (with the exception of The Damned), no thank you. Super weird (and desperate) choice.
Daniel Ash?! One of my favorite people ever, but he hates to practice/rehearse and frankly doesn’t have the chops to even get close to Dave.

Unwound

#71 Post by Unwound » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm

Eric's take (or confirmation of a take):

Hokahey
Site Admin

#72 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Unwound wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm
Eric's take (or confirmation of a take):

I trust Eric. And it's what the RS piece basically said. I still wish they'd been a bit more honest about the whole thing. But I'm a lot less annoyed now.

JOEinPHX

#73 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:39 pm

I'm fine with Dave being out. Every other member of the band has been replaced, other Perry and Etty, at some point.

Anyone who's ever seen Troy play with Failure, A Perfect Circle, or QOTSA in the last 2 decades knows the dude can seamlessly transition between rhythm, lead, or textural guitar playing.

I couldn't think of many dudes who could take Dave's place in Jane's other than perhaps even Billy Corgan. But Troy is one of those guys. Plus, with the bands I listed above, he's dealt with substance abusers and massive egos.

I'm excited. I got tickets for Pumpkins but seeing Jane's without Dave is going to be an awesome new experience.

2 thumbs up. 👍🏼👍🏼

Tyler Durden

#74 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:10 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:39 pm
I'm fine with Dave being out. Every other member of the band has been replaced, other Perry and Etty, at some point.
Jane’s played without Perkins? :hs:

dannyboy

#75 Post by dannyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 pm

I’m sure Jimmy chamberlain subbed for him once a few years ago