Amazing Deconstruction Deep Dive

#1 Post by someguy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Finally something worthwhile posting

Must read/listen

https://deconstructionstory.substack.co ... source=url

guysmiley

Re: Amazing Deconstruction Deep Dive

#2 Post by guysmiley » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:52 pm

Was just about to post it. Been reading it. One of my favorite albums of all time

crater

#3 Post by crater » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:00 pm

That was cool to read, but two minor corrections I have for it.
Deconstruction had no MTV coverage.
That's not true. They had at least two short MTV News bits about the band/album. I have/had them recorded on a VHS tape that still might be in my garage somewhere. Neither one has an interview with any of the members of the band. Just Kurt Loder and Tabitha Soren talking about the upcoming release with footage/pictures of Eric and Dave from Jane's concerts. It was also talked about by that host of 120 Minutes the two times I saw the video played on there. Not much, but it was talked about on MTV.
I waited for Deconstruction’s name to appear in my local weekly’s concert listings
I seem to remember that almost from the time of the albums release (it might have even been before) that it was going to be a one off release and the band wouldn't tour it because of another band from I think England had threatened a lawsuit or something over ownership of the Deconstruction name. That might be entirely wrong but that's how I remember it. Maybe I'd learn the truth if I paid the $6, but I don't care enough to do that :lol:

Noonesshocking

#4 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:22 pm

This isn't just an amazing Decon deep-dive. It's also the best Jane's interview since the xiola one - the last chapter is basically the sequel to that. I don't want to spoil anything, but I feel a lot of closure on a lot of things after reading it.

Hey Sonny, if you're still lurking, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 am

Not fanboy enough to pay $6 for this ....

choccyd

#6 Post by choccyd » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 am

So I went to the page and entered my email address, and got an email back that includes these details:

"Since it’s a book-length story, I’m going to publish it online so I can embed original interview clips, music, and cool old photos in the text—some previously unreleased. The whole thing will run nearly 200 pages, so a one-time subscription will cost between $6. Just cancel your one-time subscription once you get the full story and that should work around the Substack subscription structure."

So let's say I pay the monthly $6 subscription, how do I "get the full story" before the cancelling the subscription? Does this mean it's just a one-time opportunity to read everything, and then I'm cutoff from being able to read it again? Or do you get to download the material? How's it work?

trevor ayer

#7 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:20 am

its one time 6 dollar fee .. then u can take yr time cuz he sends it to yr email .. pretty good read .. haven't finished it yet .. not sure i like the decon record anymore than i ever did but its been fun reading and listening this week ..

Noonesshocking

#8 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:42 am

choccyd wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:48 am
So I went to the page and entered my email address, and got an email back that includes these details:

"Since it’s a book-length story, I’m going to publish it online so I can embed original interview clips, music, and cool old photos in the text—some previously unreleased. The whole thing will run nearly 200 pages, so a one-time subscription will cost between $6. Just cancel your one-time subscription once you get the full story and that should work around the Substack subscription structure."

So let's say I pay the monthly $6 subscription, how do I "get the full story" before the cancelling the subscription? Does this mean it's just a one-time opportunity to read everything, and then I'm cutoff from being able to read it again? Or do you get to download the material? How's it work?
You can sign up for the monthly option and cancel immediately, and then you should still be able to read for the next 30 days.

choccyd

#9 Post by choccyd » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:10 pm

So I responded to the email I originally got, to ask the same question. Aaaron (the author of the material) responded with:

Thanks for your interest in the Decon story, and sorry for the confusion. You raise a good point that others might be unclear about, too. But no. If you pay $6 once, you always have access through the Substack platform. Unfortunately, there's no way to DL the text as a book, for instance, but you always can read it and the other embedded media on Substack.

The platform is designed for subscriptions for ongoing newsletters and series, not one-offs like this. So having readers pay once then cancel before the next charge is my dumb work around. Wish there was a more sophisticated solution, but I can't find one.

What I have been doing is once someone pays the $6, I wait a bit then convert their subscription to a lifetime one on the backend.

I will eventually produce an ebook of this story, to sell for $6 in other places like Amazon etc, but that won't be for a while--6 months to a year or so. I need a rest!

Noonesshocking

#10 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:35 pm

Should we talk about Eric's recent convo with Perry yet or should we wait until everyone is caught up

Mescal

#11 Post by Mescal » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 am

Any way of putting the article up?

panicparty

#12 Post by panicparty » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:59 am

Mescal wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 am
Pardon me as a nobody with a couple of posts to my name here, but that sounds like a shitty request to me. The guy's done the work, doesn't he deserve 6 bucks for it from the handful of people interested in reading it instead of just being ripped off?

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:06 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't understand why lots of people worship this album like it's Electric Ladyland 2.I think it's a solid piece of work, but it's nowhere near the first three Jane's albums.

The guy writes: "...and it (Decon) arguably has better guitar on it (than Ritual)".

What?! Now that's shocking.

and

"Many consider it proof of Avery’s genius. Many think it contains the best guitar Navarro ever played"

Wow.

ok...to each his own and all that.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:46 am

panicparty wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:59 am
Mescal wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 am
Pardon me as a nobody with a couple of posts to my name here, but that sounds like a shitty request to me. The guy's done the work, doesn't he deserve 6 bucks for it from the handful of people interested in reading it instead of just being ripped off?
He really does, not from me, I'm like matz I don't get it lol and matz if you don't get it, don't worry about not reading it...imagine taking the time to write on decon in 2022...

crater

#15 Post by crater » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:49 pm

Matz wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:06 am
The guy writes: "...and it (Decon) arguably has better guitar on it (than Ritual)".

What?! Now that's shocking.
I'll even go one step beyond that and say not including Three Days, that that it is the best playing Dave has ever done. Saying that doesn't mean I love that Deconstruction album more than either of the two Jane's studio albums (because I don't, but it's almost there) but for me that is Dave at the peak of his powers. He is incredible on it.

I will always feel that Deconstruction album is the follow up to Ritual that we never got. You put Perry's vocals (because the one big complaint I've always read is that people never liked Eric's singing) and Perk playing on it and that album to me would be equal to the two studio albums we did get from Jane's.

But like you said .. "to each his own and all that" :wink:

someguy

#16 Post by someguy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:46 pm

It was surreal to watch Dave acknowledge an obscure demo that didn’t even make the record.

It was also funny that both Dave and Eric forgot about a few songs.

The part on Ronnie Champagne was really great too.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:43 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:35 pm
Should we talk about Eric's recent convo with Perry yet or should we wait until everyone is caught up
Let's hear it.

Noonesshocking

#18 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:30 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:43 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Let's hear it.
Keep in mind, I am inferring some details surrounding the circumstances of the conversation here. Not trying to rip off the author, who did an amazing job. I just think if anyone was there for the Xiola interview 12 years ago, they deserve to know about this.

Remember back in 2020 when there seemed to be some weird Jane's activity on Instagram and there were a few posts about the Wilton house? Evidently the house had gone up for sale and Taylor Hawkins had the idea that someone should buy it and turn it into something like a Jane's/LA music scene museum of sorts. Taylor encouraged Eric to give Perry a call. I presume it was about possibly purchasing the house.

It seems like Perry might have asked Eric to put up some money during the call and Eric said no. But right before they got off the phone, Eric said something to the effect of "even though you've said bad things about me in the press, I don't talk badly about you in my house and I am grateful for you and appreciate what we did together and there is no ill will". Perry seemed taken aback and complimented Eric's musicianship.

Eric recognizes that he didn't understand the pressures associated with being a frontman, and now sees that it was very hurtful to Perry when he so critical. So he was able to come around and say that once he had a different perspective.

It's little funny that he didn't necessarily fully acknowledge his side of the street, but it's nice to know there was finally some kind of reconciliation and positive interaction. I always thought it was sad how it ended so badly in 2010.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#19 Post by Hokahey » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:12 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:30 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:43 pm
Noonesshocking wrote:
Let's hear it.
Keep in mind, I am inferring some details surrounding the circumstances of the conversation here. Not trying to rip off the author, who did an amazing job. I just think if anyone was there for the Xiola interview 12 years ago, they deserve to know about this.

Remember back in 2020 when there seemed to be some weird Jane's activity on Instagram and there were a few posts about the Wilton house? Evidently the house had gone up for sale and Taylor Hawkins had the idea that someone should buy it and turn it into something like a Jane's/LA music scene museum of sorts. Taylor encouraged Eric to give Perry a call. I presume it was about possibly purchasing the house.

It seems like Perry might have asked Eric to put up some money during the call and Eric said no. But right before they got off the phone, Eric said something to the effect of "even though you've said bad things about me in the press, I don't talk badly about you in my house and I am grateful for you and appreciate what we did together and there is no ill will". Perry seemed taken aback and complimented Eric's musicianship.

Eric recognizes that he didn't understand the pressures associated with being a frontman, and now sees that it was very hurtful to Perry when he so critical. So he was able to come around and say that once he had a different perspective.

It's little funny that he didn't necessarily fully acknowledge his side of the street, but it's nice to know there was finally some kind of reconciliation and positive interaction. I always thought it was sad how it ended so badly in 2010.
Well that's pretty interesting. And I don't believe that discussing the details of the article rips off the author.

I can't see how anyone would really give a shit about visiting that house as an attraction though. They're not generally popular, and their cult like following has vanished.

They had one absolute final chance in 2009. They could have re-solidified their legacy and even added to it some with a solid decade run with a few good albums and spectacle like tours.

Minus Taylor Hawkins and Tom Morello, there aren't a lot of people still talking about why everyone needs to remember how important Jane's was.

crater

#20 Post by crater » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:05 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:12 am
Minus Taylor Hawkins and Tom Morello, there aren't a lot of people still talking about why everyone needs to remember how important Jane's was.
Stone Gossard had some good things to say about the band recently.

For some reason I can't figure out how to get it to start at the section where they talk about Jane's. Click to 27:00 of the video if you want to hear his thoughts on the band.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:02 pm

crater wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:05 pm
Hokahey wrote:

For some reason I can't figure out how to get it to start at the section where they talk about Jane's. Click to 27:00 of the video if you want to hear his thoughts on the band.
I did see that. Side note, Stone Gossard was the only musician I ever met that made me wish I didn't.

SR

#22 Post by SR » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:11 am

crater wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:05 pm
Hokahey wrote:

That was fun. He seemed like a true fan as he (tried) to describe them. Cool that X and Bowie came to mind in referencing transformative moments in music like Jane's 1.0

Everybody's Friend

#23 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 am

Does this 'book' exist in some simple way to access (yet) does anyone know? :cool:

nestos

#24 Post by nestos » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:35 am

I never really ran into Deconstruction... but i continue randomly picking it.
So to me it's a good albeit globally overrated album, with something windy or pretentious in it.
Maybe Eric himself
:'D

clickie

#25 Post by clickie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:00 am

That one lyric always stands out to me when Eric rhymes cup of joe with burrito.