Found my grail.

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Brabo

Found my grail.

#1 Post by Brabo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:24 am

I (finally) registered just to share this story.

I only got to know Jane's by accident. I used to be a very active member on another music message board, back in the day. 2002 was the first year I ever went to an outdoor music festival. It was Pukkelpop 2002. I knew fuck-all about music, so I'd posted the line-up on the board I would frequent at the time, asking for advice on what bands I should go check out. This guy Tom mentioned a bunch, including Jane's Addiction. I'd never heard of them before, and later found out that the head organizer of the festival was a huge Jane's fan--which was the only reason they were playing.

The way I remember it, Perry came out to Up The Beach, thwirling and swigging a bottle of wine, looking like this:

and I was just sold. Immediately.

I went out and bought NS and Ritual right after, followed that up with XXX and KW, and eventually P4P followed. I think by that point, I'd already found Xiola.

Originally I didn't even remember the set list (because I had no point of reference while hearing all those songs for the first time).

I had some press photos and I remembered there was a short segment shown on a festival report after (which I think had Hypersonic in it?).

At first I tried finding a boot through the ususal channels: ask around, shop around, check the internet. Nothing. It took me until 2010 to start digging. Through a radio show host who was a big fan, I was put in touch with a recording studio who did the recordings, but they didn't own the rights; those belonged to the festival, or at least partially, because there was another media company I needed to get in touch with first who-- :banghead: :wiggle:

In the end, I only hit dead ends and buried my dream.

Until I met my friend Ayke. Whose dad's new girlfriend runs a huge anti-HIV charity. Who have worked with the festival before. Ayke is a cute blond who suddenly found herself on the receiving end of a friend request by the aforementioned festival organizer. I'd told her about the 2002 show that sparked my love for what is probably still one of the most formative bands from my youth. She took it upon herself to try and hunt down the footage for me. I don't know all the details, but at some point she was posing as a 40 year-old celebrating her wedding anniversary who wanted to surprise her husband with said footage--? I don't know, man.

Spoiler: as of today, I now have the boot in its entirety. My personal Jane's grail that I'd been chasing for the past 14 years.

I'm honestly a bit scared to watch it, because I'm pretty sure it'll be a bad show. But there's no way I can't. :love: :rockon:

(will report back after I've actually watched it)

Hi everyone! :wave:

Artemis

Re: Found my grail.

#2 Post by Artemis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:40 am

Hi Brabo! :wave:

Welcome!

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 am

Brabo wrote:I (finally) registered just to share this story.

I only got to know Jane's by accident. I used to be a very active member on another music message board, back in the day. 2002 was the first year I ever went to an outdoor music festival. It was Pukkelpop 2002. I knew fuck-all about music, so I'd posted the line-up on the board I would frequent at the time, asking for advice on what bands I should go check out. This guy Tom mentioned a bunch, including Jane's Addiction. I'd never heard of them before, and later found out that the head organizer of the festival was a huge Jane's fan--which was the only reason they were playing.

The way I remember it, Perry came out to Up The Beach, thwirling and swigging a bottle of wine, looking like this:

and I was just sold. Immediately.

I went out and bought NS and Ritual right after, followed that up with XXX and KW, and eventually P4P followed. I think by that point, I'd already found Xiola.

Originally I didn't even remember the set list (because I had no point of reference while hearing all those songs for the first time).

I had some press photos and I remembered there was a short segment shown on a festival report after (which I think had Hypersonic in it?).

At first I tried finding a boot through the ususal channels: ask around, shop around, check the internet. Nothing. It took me until 2010 to start digging. Through a radio show host who was a big fan, I was put in touch with a recording studio who did the recordings, but they didn't own the rights; those belonged to the festival, or at least partially, because there was another media company I needed to get in touch with first who-- :banghead: :wiggle:

In the end, I only hit dead ends and buried my dream.

Until I met my friend Ayke. Whose dad's new girlfriend runs a huge anti-HIV charity. Who have worked with the festival before. Ayke is a cute blond who suddenly found herself on the receiving end of a friend request by the aforementioned festival organizer. I'd told her about the 2002 show that sparked my love for what is probably still one of the most formative bands from my youth. She took it upon herself to try and hunt down the footage for me. I don't know all the details, but at some point she was posing as a 40 year-old celebrating her wedding anniversary who wanted to surprise her husband with said footage--? I don't know, man.

Spoiler: as of today, I now have the boot in its entirety. My personal Jane's grail that I'd been chasing for the past 14 years.

I'm honestly a bit scared to watch it, because I'm pretty sure it'll be a bad show. But there's no way I can't. :love: :rockon:

(will report back after I've actually watched it)

Hi everyone! :wave:

Long time no see. You must be the only other Belgian Jane's fan!

Pukkelpop 2002 was also my first Jane's show.

Wasn't Perry wearing a dress?

I remember them playing a snippet of in the flesh by Pink Floyd.

I also remember from Xiola you looking for that show. So the moment I read the thread title and who posted it, I know what the content would be.

Anyway, I'm very happy for you, and if you're willing to share, I would love to have a copy B-)

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 pm

I genuinely miss your presence here. Glad that you found it :bigrin:

erotic cheeses

#5 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Congrats bravo you owe you friend some favours for that

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:54 am

Cool story. Glad you found it in the end.

Brabo

#7 Post by Brabo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:30 am

I just finished watching it and it's surprisingly good. Some really creative Dave soloing on Whores that I'd never heard before. Also, Perry's vocals were really good. Like. I understand why they blew me away. His banter was also un-cringeworthy, and actually kind of funny.

The aesthetic was dialed back considerably from later camp; both Dave and Perry spent half of the show shirtless, and were both bouncing around the stage; Perry looked pretty fierce actually.

I was surprised by how different this show sounded from the Amsterdam 2003 show a little over a year later, which I remember fondly. It sounded more like 'old Jane's' to me. Or at least more like 90's Jane's. Which makes sense, I suppose. They were all pre-Strays songs (save for Hypersonic as the encore).

Funny aside: the camera crew obviously didn't know the band, which means that all 5 members got about equal screen time.

Yes. Five.

Overall: great show. 7.5 if I'd have to rate it.

Most of all, I'm happy I didn't need rose-tinted glasses to enjoy this. :drink:

Keep hunting for The Ones That Got Away, folks. Who knows what may happen 14 years later.

Noonesshocking

#8 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Wait, is this vid of hypersonic from the show we're talking about here?

Perry has a fuckton of delay on his vocal, and it sounds pretty good. If the album version was more like this, I'd like it a hell of a lot more.

creep
Site Admin

#9 Post by creep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:Wait, is this vid of hypersonic from the show we're talking about here?

Perry has a fuckton of delay on his vocal, and it sounds pretty good. If the album version was more like this, I'd like it a hell of a lot more.
:hs:

i thought that sounded horrible. it gave me a headache.

Noonesshocking

#10 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:32 pm

creep wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:Wait, is this vid of hypersonic from the show we're talking about here?

:hs:

i thought that sounded horrible. it gave me a headache.
Lol sorry. To clarify: the quality of this video is shit. I'm commenting more on the tempo and overall looseness of it. In my head, I can imagine a cleaned up version sounding cooler than what we got on strays.

Brabo

#11 Post by Brabo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:33 pm

It's not the same show. Same era though, probably? I remember it being on the JA.com website back in the day.

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Brabo wrote:

It's not the same show. Same era though, probably? I remember it being on the JA.com website back in the day.
Perry's vocals sound MUCH better there than they have basically since... not because of the delay, but because he's actually hitting notes and has an edge in his voice. It's the band that sucks there -- the mix is way off and there's too much muddiness.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:37 pm

I see the last remnants of the best of JA. Too, though I don't know, this is about the same time DN was facing the criminal charges of his mother's killer.

Great clip; great energy; great effort....true JA :rockon:

SR

#14 Post by SR » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:03 pm

Woops, looks a bit later than the mid 90's....still, great.

Hype

#15 Post by Hype » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:51 pm

SR wrote:Woops, looks a bit later than the mid 90's....still, great.
It's a song from Strays (or as it was once thought: "Hypersonic"), and those songs weren't played live until 2002. Plus the drumkit logo looks definitely Strays tour-ish.

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Hype wrote:
It's a song from Strays (or as it was once thought: "Hypersonic"), and those songs weren't played live until 2002. Plus the drumkit logo looks definitely Strays tour-ish.
Didn't they debut that song at the '02 NYE Wiltern show we both saw?

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Hype wrote:
they played it at the palms in vegas 7/02

pretty sure that was the first time

SR

#18 Post by SR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Hype wrote:
Not sure, but that 'look' of PF's is scaled back a bit from his look at Hammerstein. Too, his hair is shorter.....DN's too. That's really what threw me. There is a court scene in Mourning Son where he comforts his father in the galley. Hair is the same.

Noonesshocking

#19 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm

Watching that hypersonic vid also reminded me that, despite tuning a whole step down, NINJA was definitely more "Jane's" than the majority of the shows between 01-03. Eric was there obviously, but also they just sounded scruffier and meaner rather than a polished "rawk' band.

SR

#20 Post by SR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Although I love this clip, I was bitterly disappointed in the NINJA show here in LA. Again, I think but don't know, the band was suffering irreconcilable differences. EA was absent.....PF had flamingo feathers on......the Reznor production days were over and PF had begun to shill his 'unlistenable' music.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm

SR wrote:Although I love this clip, I was bitterly disappointed in the NINJA show here in LA. Again, I think but don't know, the band was suffering irreconcilable differences. EA was absent.....PF had flamingo feathers on......the Reznor production days were over and PF had begun to shill his 'unlistenable' music.
Yeah, I found the NINJA show pretty terrible. Perry was in full idiotic form, Dave and Perk were Dave and Perk, and Eric was on his side of the stage looking less than enthusiastic. The NIN show was lackluster as well. I have definitely seen far batter performances from both bands. Hell, I enjoyed the TGEA show better than NINJA. That felt far more like Jane's.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Hokahey wrote:
SR wrote:Although I love this clip, I was bitterly disappointed in the NINJA show here in LA. Again, I think but don't know, the band was suffering irreconcilable differences. EA was absent.....PF had flamingo feathers on......the Reznor production days were over and PF had begun to shill his 'unlistenable' music.
The NIN show was lackluster as well.
That was when Trent stripped them down to a 4 piece. Ugh. The setlist was great, but the execution was lacking.

NIN needs to be at minimum a 5-6 person band.

Romeo

#23 Post by Romeo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:50 am

The Vegas show was good because Perry was all hopped up on Valium

:banana:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
The NIN show was lackluster as well.
That was when Trent stripped them down to a 4 piece. Ugh. The setlist was great, but the execution was lacking.

NIN needs to be at minimum a 5-6 person band.
Yes. Amazing set list, terrible execution. Also, I was high as fuck and the constant strobe gave me a panic attack. :lol:

someguy

#25 Post by someguy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm

For me personally, seeing them in Camden NJ in '09 was a touchstone moment for me. It was a culmination of years of discovering, listening to, and learning all about Jane's. I'll never forget the when the curtain went up during three days, and I saw all four original members with my very own eyes. Perry didn't dress like a douche at that show either. The set was a concise hour and 15 minutes, and kept me on my toes. I'll also never forget the chills I got when they played that breakdown during pigs in zen, it was so dark and melodic and repititious. To this day, I still skip to 1:26 and watch this over and over again- a glimpse of what could have been:

It is also by far the most professional concert I've ever been to. There were no long waits between bands (15 minutes tops), and everyone was right on time. You could tell all the crew were working hard to make it a really cool, seamless experience. I hadn't listened to much NIN at the time either- after seeing them I really dug into their back catalog and became a big fan. Anyway, yeah that video is my holy grail.