:wavesad:

JOEinPHX

Re: ...and then he met Etty.

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:28 am

:banghead:

Hype

#3 Post by Hype » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 am

He was into that kind of electronic beat stuff even back in the late 90s/early 2000s. SYTBS was a divisive album, in part because he was going through his religious renewal phase, but there were also some really weird attempts at DJ/Electronica shit both on the album and on the website. There were these short flash video clip things he made with the beat from King Z and some other stuff... it was awful. And that's a few years before Etty, I think (or maybe it's around the same time he met her -- depends on when he started working on that album). So I think the transformation had already begun, and Etty just kind of fit in and perhaps amplified it.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 am

What a refreshing theme

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 am

there's a scene in Three days where Perry talks about "planting a seed on earth" or something and talks about how the woman he's looking for has to have grace, be sensitive, have the voice of an angel and stuff, sounded like a great plan.......and then he on the same tour I guess hooks up with Etty... :confused:

Stickyfingers

#6 Post by Stickyfingers » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:07 am

I like asian girls and I think Etty was pretty nice when young (Relapse tour).
the point is that Perry got completely influenced when fall in love with a girl, so the fans got really confused about Perry 1.0 (Perry/Casey) vs. Perry 2.0 (Perry/Etty).

Casey was an artist, a real artist partner, a creative force behind Janes, plus they were young and crazy, she exposed Perry to alternative music, drugs, poetry, art...
Etty is a dancer who likes Duran Duran and Bon Jovi....

kv

#7 Post by kv » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:38 pm

SR wrote:What a refreshing theme
I know right? Come to terms already 67 it's old fucking news...and like hype said he was heading this way on his own..

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

kv wrote:
SR wrote:What a refreshing theme
I know right? Come to terms already 67 it's old fucking news...and like hype said he was heading this way on his own..
There's a HUGE difference between SYTBS, which was a more house and much more mystic religious sequel to GGU, and shit like I Like em Big. Etty fucked that man's head.

elportosurfer9

#9 Post by elportosurfer9 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:42 pm

I loved SYTBS when it came out... and the shows where pretty cool. A lot of it reminded me of an extension of GGU. I don't know what happened.. :hs: :wavesad:

blackula

#10 Post by blackula » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Fuck you 67....I just watched 44 seconds of I Like 'em Big. That was really unnecessary.

But, I did watch Tahitin Moon for the first time in a while and I don't remember Perry's Pete Rose/Monkees hair style.

blackula

#11 Post by blackula » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 pm

I forgot how fun the Classic Girl video is. I wonder if everyone else in JA hated it, being all Perry and Casey.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:33 pm

elportosurfer9 wrote:I loved SYTBS when it came out... and the shows where pretty cool. A lot of it reminded me of an extension of GGU. I don't know what happened.. :hs: :wavesad:
I agree. I had it in constant rotation for a long time after release.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 am

ritdehabit wrote:There's a HUGE difference between SYTBS, which was a more house and much more mystic religious sequel to GGU, and shit like I Like em Big. Etty fucked that man's head.
elportosurfer9 wrote:I loved SYTBS when it came out... and the shows where pretty cool. A lot of it reminded me of an extension of GGU. I don't know what happened.. :hs: :wavesad:
All of this.

SYTBS was not a divisive album among the vast majority of Perry fans. I loved it (still do). My only criticism is that even in 2000 when it was released, I felt like "This album sounds like it should've probably come out three years ago". (1997, the commercial peak of DJ/house/electronica/rave/whatever when rock actually was still relevant)

Hype

#14 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:21 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
ritdehabit wrote:There's a HUGE difference between SYTBS, which was a more house and much more mystic religious sequel to GGU, and shit like I Like em Big. Etty fucked that man's head.
All of this.

SYTBS was not a divisive album among the vast majority of Perry fans. I loved it (still do). My only criticism is that even in 2000 when it was released, I felt like "This album sounds like it should've probably come out three years ago". (1997, the commercial peak of DJ/house/electronica/rave/whatever when rock actually was still relevant)
I don't know what "the vast majority of Perry fans" thought, but it was pretty divisive among the board group. It was a love/hate kind of album.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:24 am

All my friends who were into janes hated it when it came out...myself included... can't think of the last decade I listened to it

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Hype wrote: I don't know what "the vast majority of Perry fans" thought, but it was pretty divisive among the board group. It was a love/hate kind of album.
No way. Maybe over the years, but not when it came out. Maybe I exaggerated slightly with that phrase, but not by much.

Keep in mind, 99% of people on xiola.org LOVED Strays when it came out in 2003. When I had the gall to say it kind of sucked and that Elephant by The White Stripes was the best album of the year or at least light years ahead of Strays, I was pretty much laughed off the board.

creep
Site Admin

#17 Post by creep » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

sonny told everyone that they are going to love the album with his famous "you are going to fucking love this album" quote.

i remember it being mixed with not too many hating it.

i still think it's decent and way better than tgea.

clickie

#18 Post by clickie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 pm

67 met his Etty many moons ago. And her name was Steve Isaacs. Aye, oh where did he go? Only 67 knows.

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 pm

clickie wrote:67 met his Etty many moons ago. And her name was Steve Isaacs. Aye, oh where did he go? Only 67 knows.

:confused:

Been drinkin', clickster?

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:39 am

I think imho, Perry has always been a phony. He found his match in Etty, but as much as I don't like either of them (from what I've seen online, though Perry sometimes comes out "genuine" in some fb posts, but those are like once in a blue moon), I wouldn't blame Etty completely. Like some people have pointed out, he started sucking way before she was in the picture.

blackula

#21 Post by blackula » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:47 am

perkana wrote:I think imho, Perry has always been a phony. He found his match in Etty, but as much as I don't like either of them (from what I've seen online, though Perry sometimes comes out "genuine" in some fb posts, but those are like once in a blue moon), I wouldn't blame Etty completely. Like some people have pointed out, he started sucking way before she was in the picture.
She's been in the picture since 1997, I think he just became old and out of touch.

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:47 pm

I agree completely!