Can we talk about the BEST post '97 material for a sec?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Can we talk about the BEST post '97 material for a sec?

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

This stuff hints at a respectable artistic continuation of Jane's and it is painful they never were used beyond these teasers.

I can imagine this one being opening a hypothetical version TGEA that isn't horrible, or being an interlude to a longer tune:

And this one is like an awesome outro with goth vibes.

Man, so much potential here, and it would be even more mind-blowing had Eric been involved (although I've always suspected to latter video may have been a version of Embrace the Darkness).

kv

Re: Can we talk about the BEST post '97 material for a sec?

#2 Post by kv » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Such potential for perry to write stupid shit over the top of and ruin it

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:52 pm

kv wrote:Such potential for perry to write stupid shit over the top of and ruin it
:lolol:

That is true.

SR

#4 Post by SR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:55 pm

That was 5 fucking years ago???? :yikes:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Yeah I'm not hearing anything more sonically interesting than what was released. The problem, as already stated, is that Perry fucks up every song.

But that footage reminded me that I honestly feel like the TGEA tour was their best post 97. More so than NINJA. That tour, with Avery, would have been incredible. It felt like Jane's. You could tell how much Eric had tried to steer the band in a better direction aesthetically. His influence was all over that tour.

SR

#6 Post by SR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 pm

I made a point to take my son to NINJA in LA. I was so excited that Samuel might see a glimmer of genius in the band live (he knew all their material). EA looked painfully disinterested, often sitting on his stack facing stage left. I felt sorry for him. And EA too.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 pm

SR wrote:I made a point to take my son to NINJA in LA. I was so excited that Samuel might see a glimmer of genius in the band live (he knew all their material). EA looked painfully disinterested, often sitting on his stack facing stage left. I felt sorry for him. And EA too.
Yeah, I was at that show too and it was 180 degrees opposite of the hope and promise of the LA club shows. Regardless of Eric's feelings at the time, I thought his attitude that night brought the show down quite a bit to the point he wouldn't join the rest of the band for their bows. The coolest thing about that show was the 5 seconds Dave teased X's Hungry Wolf. NIN smoked them.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:29 pm

kv wrote:Such potential for perry to write stupid shit over the top of and ruin it
This.

Bandit72

#9 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:46 am

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:I made a point to take my son to NINJA in LA. I was so excited that Samuel might see a glimmer of genius in the band live (he knew all their material). EA looked painfully disinterested, often sitting on his stack facing stage left. I felt sorry for him. And EA too.
Yeah, I was at that show too and it was 180 degrees opposite of the hope and promise of the LA club shows. Regardless of Eric's feelings at the time, I thought his attitude that night brought the show down quite a bit to the point he wouldn't join the rest of the band for their bows. The coolest thing about that show was the 5 seconds Dave teased X's Hungry Wolf. NIN smoked them.
That's unfortunate about Eric. At the Manchester show he was the complete opposite. Very much into his playing. I made a point of being at the front on his side as I knew it'd be the last time. I actually loved that gig.

Matz

#10 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:38 am

Noonesshocking wrote:This stuff hints at a respectable artistic continuation of Jane's and it is painful they never were used beyond these teasers.

I can imagine this one being opening a hypothetical version TGEA that isn't horrible, or being an interlude to a longer tune:

And this one is like an awesome outro with goth vibes.

Man, so much potential here, and it would be even more mind-blowing had Eric been involved (although I've always suspected to latter video may have been a version of Embrace the Darkness).
not as cool as I remembered them. #4 is just a poor Joy division rip off

SR

#11 Post by SR » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Nails were great. Almost exclusively deep cuts and for the hits radically different arrangements. I remember they had a kid in his early 20's on drums who just smoked it.

I had forgotten about the end of show bow. Fucked up of him, but his issues must have run deep as a bow is warranted at any show, for any paying fan, but this was LA. Weird

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:07 pm

SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Nails were great. Almost exclusively deep cuts and for the hits radically different arrangements. I remember they had a kid in his early 20's on drums who just smoked it.

I had forgotten about the end of show bow. Fucked up of him, but his issues must have run deep as a bow is warranted at any show, for any paying fan, but this was LA. Weird
I recorded most of NIN's set and Janes complete set from the pit on my (even back then) really old 8mm camcorder and never really shared the complete recordings other then posting a couple songs on my YT channel because the audio was so blown out. I went back and looked at the end of Oceansize and they all did leave the stage together pretty amicably before they came back for the encore. This is the part where Dave teases a bit of "Hungry Wolf" inbetween the two songs:

SR

#13 Post by SR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:50 am

Well thanks for that; it made me smile....there's just something about EA in the lineup that hits me viscerally. Sound isn't too bad either....I've heard worse from boots.