Ritual and NS vinyl box set

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Ritual and NS vinyl box set

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:30 am

https://twitter.com/DaveNavarro/status/ ... 2255014912

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is he telling the truth?

I swear, Dave used to taunt the hardcore fans after the falling out with Eric in 2010. He would say shit on Dark Matter like "Remastered, expanded Nothing's Shocking and Ritual coming soon", but in a VERY sarcastic tone. He did this a couple of times on air. It's like he was/is bitter that people only give a shit about 1986-1991.

So I'll believe this "box set" when I see it. Not that it's anything to get excited over...but it could open the door for the long awaited, rumoured Gift director's cut with commentary, as well as new individual sets for Ritual and NS...which are long fucking over due. I mean, if Temple of the Dog can release a 2CD/1DVD set for their one album (same with Mother Love Bone), why can't Jane's?

Pandemonium

Re: Ritual and NS vinyl box set

#2 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:53 am

If they were really substantial sets, say like the recent Metallica album box sets, I'd be tempted. The thing is, the non-album tracks and demos have already been milked dry via the Curiosities box and even the live stuff has lost much of it's appeal thanks to YouTube. For any sort of vinyl release, they'd have to go back to the drawing board and hopefully do new, direct analog masters using someone like Steve Hoffman or Kevin Gray to do the vinyl mastering as the vinyl reissues from a few years back of both NS and RDLH sound pretty mediocre compared to the original releases or even CD releases. This *is* Warner Bros though, and they are notorious these days for recycling previously released stuff in new configurations.

My ideal configuration would be:

NS
Original album remastered for vinyl (maybe 45 rpm x 2 records)
2 LPs of non-album cuts, demos, etc
2 CDs, original album, 1 discs of non-album cuts
1 DVD of the album in Hi-Res audio (stereo mix + new 5.1 mix)
1 DVD of '89 tour live material, hopefully complete Ford Theater show + assorted songs from other '86-'89 shows)

RDLH
2 CDs, original album, 12 discs of non-album cuts
1 DVD of Ritual tour live material, hopefully complete Hollywood Palladium show + assorted songs from other '90-'91 shows)

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am

I will buy this if embrace the darkness is included as an extra goodie. Like, "ok, you just listened to the old stuff for then thousandth time, here's what these guys sounded like almost 20 years later, for better or for worse".

SR

#4 Post by SR » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:06 am

Pandemonium wrote:If they were really substantial sets, say like the recent Metallica album box sets, I'd be tempted. The thing is, the non-album tracks and demos have already been milked dry via the Curiosities box and even the live stuff has lost much of it's appeal thanks to YouTube. For any sort of vinyl release, they'd have to go back to the drawing board and hopefully do new, direct analog masters using someone like Steve Hoffman or Kevin Gray to do the vinyl mastering as the vinyl reissues from a few years back of both NS and RDLH sound pretty mediocre compared to the original releases or even CD releases. This *is* Warner Bros though, and they are notorious these days for recycling previously released stuff in new configurations.

My ideal configuration would be:

NS
2 CDs, original album, 1 discs of non-album cuts
1 DVD of '89 tour live material, hopefully complete Ford Theater show + assorted songs from other '86-'89 shows)

RDLH
2 CDs, original album, 12 discs of non-album cuts
1 DVD of Ritual tour live material, hopefully complete Hollywood Palladium show + assorted songs from other '90-'91 shows)
Um, fuck yeah..... :rockon:

Oh, and PF hates you (though he doesn't understand why) and DN and SP are having fits of catalepsy.

bman

#5 Post by bman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Stephen Perkins ‏@stephenperkins · 35m35 minutes ago

Jane's news coming Monday

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:39 pm

bman wrote:Stephen Perkins ‏@stephenperkins · 35m35 minutes ago

Jane's news coming Monday
Kettle Whistle fall tour celebrating the 19th anniversary since the album came out. Playing most tracks from the album (except "So What!", "Slow Divers", "Kettle Whistle", and "Maceo") with Chaney on bass.

bman

#7 Post by bman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Lol! It's probably Leg Two of the Sterling Spoon tour. Sadly, it cant be news about new songs because we know that wont happen.

kv

#8 Post by kv » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:43 pm

too late fuck em...i don't give a shit anymore...hope their sales are pathetic

Artemis

#9 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:19 pm

bman wrote:Lol! It's probably Leg Two of the Sterling Spoon tour. Sadly, it cant be news about new songs because we know that wont happen.
Yes, probably more dates will be announced. Maybe some European dates?? Lolla in Berlin is happening Sept 10&11...

intertwoven

#10 Post by intertwoven » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:34 pm

I don't give a shit 'bout any repackaging unless the Three Days poem is a bonus track. And even if it is, I'm sure I'll listen to it once, be underwhelmed, and never listen to it again. But my 20-year-old self will be stoked, and any lingering remnants of the awesome mystery surrounding Jane's 1.0 will officially be snuffed out forever. :rockon:

Mescal

#11 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 pm

NS could use a good remastering job.

As said before.

I know you guys don't want that the originals sound is tampered with.

But it sounds like it's recorded in a basement.

It needs a boost.

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:07 am

You guys are high. Or delusional.

The announcement will be "Jane's Addiction- House Band for Kind Heaven 2018. Plus playing more Silver Spoon shows!"...

JOEinPHX

#13 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 pm

nausearockpig wrote:You guys are high. Or delusional.

The announcement will be "Jane's Addiction- House Band for Kind Heaven 2018. Plus playing more Silver Spoon shows!"...
This is highly likely.

Tyler Durden

#14 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

This is highly likely.
And this isn't?:

Kettle Whistle fall tour celebrating the 19th anniversary since the album came out. Playing most tracks from the album (except "So What!", "Slow Divers", "Kettle Whistle", and "Maceo") with Chaney on bass.

nausearockpig

#15 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

This is highly likely.
And this isn't?:

:lolol:

Bandit72

#16 Post by Bandit72 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 am

I think most people on here will buy it. Even if it's just to read the 'extraordinary special super limited edition exclusive you won't get this anywhere else booklet' which'll be included.

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:05 am

Bandit72 wrote:I think most people on here will buy it. Even if it's just to read the 'extraordinary special super limited edition exclusive you won't get this anywhere else booklet' which'll be included.
If it's just straight reissues of the two Warner Bros albums in some sort of box with a bunch of paper goods to "add value," I'll pass unless I hear the sound and pressing quality *greatly* surpasses the original LPs.

I wouldn't be shocked if Perry has Chaney re-record all Eric's bass parts and the cover artwork replaces Etty's head on the female figures.

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:05 am

Bandit72 wrote:I think most people on here will buy it. Even if it's just to read the 'extraordinary special super limited edition exclusive you won't get this anywhere else booklet' which'll be included.

Bandit72

#19 Post by Bandit72 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:24 pm

:lolol:

kv

#20 Post by kv » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:23 pm

I just threw up

esqfool

#21 Post by esqfool » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:34 pm

HAHAHAHAHA, YES! Tyler you just make my day.