When does Jane's die?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nestos

Re: When does Jane's die?

#51 Post by nestos » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:08 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
nestos wrote:When Dave and Stephen started TPC. Strays was an honest attempt.
No, it wasn't. Martyn was inexplicably fired. And the band was taking orders from a douchebag producer, Bob Ezrin. Stephen even commented at the time about how the band intentionally "streamlined" the songs (made them shorter) in order to appeal to a younger audience and with hope to gain airplay. It was a clear reaction to pop music dominating again, along with the immediacy of music downloading taking over. Their reach for commercial appeal was obvious and cynical. And let's not forget the album cover...one of the worst in rock history.
OK, you've got the point
(you marked two points if we consider the album art)

It makes me remember that at the time I thought "it is more classic rock, they want to reconquer a place with mainstream hard rocking shit, we'll have to wait for the next album for something more adventurous". So I felt exactly what you said. Clearly on purpose.

But what if they changed their name ? It was not a Jane's Addiction album but still a solid record. Their post-Strays productions are definitely worse.

Strays is kind of a farewell.

Romeo

Re: When does Jane's die?

#52 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:02 am

ritdehabit wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
nestos wrote:When Dave and Stephen started TPC. Strays was an honest attempt.
No, it wasn't. Martyn was inexplicably fired. And the band was taking orders from a douchebag producer, Bob Ezrin. Stephen even commented at the time about how the band intentionally "streamlined" the songs (made them shorter) in order to appeal to a younger audience and with hope to gain airplay. It was a clear reaction to pop music dominating again, along with the immediacy of music downloading taking over. Their reach for commercial appeal was obvious and cynical. And let's not forget the album cover...one of the worst in rock history.
Martyn LeNoble wrote:Bob Ezrin didn't really understand Jane's Addiction musically. I remember arguing with him, "Have you listened to Ritual?" He goes, "Frankly, I can't get through it. I think it sounds horrible. I'm going to make this a real rock band instead of an art rock band." Well, he succeeded. He took all the magic out of it. He made a rock record. The most magical moments on the Jane's Addiction records are the quiet little adventures to the left, and, of course Eric Avery's magic bass.
This is a really good post. Jane's with Martyn still felt like Jane's. Or at least the bastard love child of Perry's various mistresses. Just like Relapse. And the early Strays demos with Martyn were sounding good. Ezrin fucked it up, and then Etty was all of the nails needed to seal the coffin.
:nod: