Jane's Addiction @ Lollapalooza Ch 2016 - Full show pro shot

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Chicago

#61 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:24 am

I am at Lollapalooza. I made some notes while watching the show:

Lollapalooza - Jane's review

PEW PEW PEW! (Keyboard player was louder than the rest of the band)

They had firework explosions going off next to Dave, Chris, and from the lighting rig above.

Dave seemed to have a go pro strapped to the end of his guitar recording his playing.

Perry's attempts to hit high notes make him very nasal sounding

Perry's face is a frozen mess and his lips won't cover his teeth.

Perry attempted to jump near the end of No One's Leaving and he fell on his ass.

Perry is already out of breath and talking for Ain't No Right.

During the middle of ANR it seems like the sound guy turned up Dave and Chaney from 8 to 11. Perry's vocals are now buried in the mix where they belong.

Perry's method to getting through songs seems to be "whisper the low parts, yell the high parts." Singing went out the window a long time ago. Like song 2.

So far nothing the keyboard player has even been anything on the recorded versions of the songs. Even on songs that have keyboard/piano in them.

Perry's got that thing going on where his eyes look sunken into his head because they are the only thing not frozen when he talks. It looks like the guy is wearing a Frankenstein mask.

During three days Perry just seems to speak words randomly near where there should be sung with little regard for actually doing them at the right time.

Etty and the blonde dancer now have a new trick where they hold a red ribbon in their teeth stretched between them. Then they take it out. #ClassicallyTrainedDancer #DoctorsCanTellSheIsAnAthlete.

Etty is giving Perry a standing lapdance up against his pitch shifting stand during three days. Dave is soloing, but the cameras are on the old folks dry humping.

Pew pew pew aerobic jebux pew pew pew!

Thanks to Perry and the keyboard player, Three Days MIGHT be the worst song in their set.

The keyboard player is playing SOMETHING symphony-like during the chorus of Then She Did, but it's not what was on the record. He's making up his own piano interlude in the middle too. This guy has more creative freedom than Navarro and Perk do.

Then She Did is the first song where Perry really seems to be focused on singing it correctly as it was written.

Dave really nailed his winged eyeliner today. #EyelinerOnFleek

Of Course seems like the first song that Perry's voice is suited to sing.

Perry: "along comes a beautiful girl. Then comes a beautiful bed. Something something she's a classic girl"

Man, he's really just lazy with the song segues.

Etty is sitting in a chair in a robe. Blonde dancer is also in a robe and is now undressing Etty. Etty has been stripped down to nothing but a thing and is shimmying on the chair with her back to the crowd. She may or may not have on pasties. I doubt it. #ClassicallyTrainedDancer #DoctorsCanTellSheIsAnAthlete.

Somehow they turned Classic Girl into a song about Etty being undressed and then redressed in different underwear. This is al occurring center stage next to Perry singing.

And that concludes Ritual De Lo Habitual.

20 minutes to go in their 75 minute set.

Tom Morello is now onstage to do Mountain Song with Jane's. It would be a nice surprise if he had not performed with X-ambassadors as THEIR special guest 4 hours ago.

Dave let Tom take the first part of the solo. Dave made up something on the spot for the second half of it.

Perry's voice is gone and he's moaning like a ghost. Ooooooo Woooooooah Ooooooooo Wooooooooah.

There are two pods on either side of the stage. Now that we're an hour into the set, the dancers and rubbing their hair and shimmying in them for the first time.

Just Because. Song stops. Perry says "my first time in Chicago i was cold. I was looking for a ride. I was kicking heroin..."... YOUSHOULDHAVEKNOWNJUSTBECAUSE! Right back into the song. Weird.

Ted. I guess a special occasion like the 25th anniversary of Lollapalooza calls for the exact same set list as every other night. The skin hook girls have been unleashed. Some people are taking video because they don't know JA has been doing this for like 5 years.

Perry has sweat right through his blouse right to his vest and ascot.

Jimmy Chamberlain on drums for Jane Says. Dan Cleary is onstage to play acoustic guitar with Dave. It's nice that he gets to do that every night.

They finished the song 4 minutes past their allotted time. Funny to watch Jane's go late for once.

And this concludes this extra special Jane's addiction set.

clickie

#62 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:44 am

Where u sleeping at night 67?

JOEinPHX

#63 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:53 am

The JW Marriot

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:57 am

I liked all of the dancer stuff (including Etty)...when it didn't involve Heff...I mean, Perry.

clickie

#65 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:26 am

Wouldn't mind seeing perry take a spill during no ones leaving . Was it worse than the woodstock football punt?

crater

#66 Post by crater » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:58 am

Six7Six7 wrote: PEW PEW PEW!
Can someone please post a link or video to this sound effect? I've yet to hear it and want to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks

rickpoet

#67 Post by rickpoet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:15 am

creep wrote:jesus stephen...put some pants on
I really can't decide on the right response for this...either:

1) I've been dreaming of a pants-less Stephen Perkins. (My wife isn't for this one)

or

2) It's so he can seamlessly join the dancers/strippers/whores/spouses on the stage. I mean right at the end of Jane Say's you really can't tell the difference between him and Etty from the waist down.

clickie

#68 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:34 am

Shouldve started the crowd chanting "Casey, Casey, Casey!" while they played classic girl.

creep
Site Admin

#69 Post by creep » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:16 pm

in case you missed it here is a clip of etty "classic girl" farrell

she takes her pants off at 2:50

creep
Site Admin

#70 Post by creep » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 pm

crater wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: PEW PEW PEW!
Can someone please post a link or video to this sound effect? I've yet to hear it and want to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks
stop pew at 1:29

three days pew at 08

SR

#71 Post by SR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:25 pm

:lolol: The pews are funny....I very much liked the fireworks though.

Out of no where, the old pedophile from Family Guy kept creeping into my head as I watched the 'dancers'....they seem to creak and strain interminably until they found the pose they wanted to strike. I wanted to get them all walkers and reward them with an Ensure or Geritol..

bman

#72 Post by bman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:37 pm

I hate the keyboard in Janes more than anything. I realize they are trying to capture Ritual. But over the years I've heard Obvious live, Then She Did many times live and they sounded perfect without Keys added. If anything, they should have found Morgan or hired another Violinist for the tour.

We all know how 6767 feels. But how was the crowd around you? Was it a Janes crowd at all or just a bunch of festival going kids?

parklife03

Jane's Addiction @ Lollapalooza Ch 2016 - Full show pro shot

#73 Post by parklife03 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:42 pm

I tought you would like to watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlifeKTg9Vw
Overall it was a great performance. Perry's voice sounds better than in 2009/2010, and I think they're playing in standard tuning again (I don't have my instruments here to check that).

parklife03

Re: Jane's Addiction @ Lollapalooza Ch 2016 - Full show pro

#74 Post by parklife03 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm

I was wrong. They're still playing a halfstep down. It sounds cool, anyways.
I hope they stick with this and don't go a whole step down like they did a few years ago.

clickie

#75 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks dude i watched the whole thing. Perry takes a tumble at the very last seconds of no ones leaving

Noonesshocking

#76 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:01 pm

Its one of the better shows since NINJA, but my God those fucking "all of my love" synths on three days.

Noonesshocking

#77 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Dave is very annoyed when Perry does the "1,2,3,4" too early in Jane Says :bigrin:

To Perry's credit, he recovers nicely.

crater

#78 Post by crater » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 pm

clickie wrote: Perry takes a tumble at the very last seconds of no ones leaving
His old knees and hips can't take the punishment of leaping off of a 2 foot drum riser these days.

And speaking of No One's Leaving, Perk doesn't even play the ending drum parts to that song the correct way these days.

Those added Star Wars sound effects sound terrible. The band, especially Perry, to me sound awful. To read that people are saying that this is one of their better played shows has me shaking my head wondering what they sound like during a show that people consider one of their bad ones :confused:

parklife03

#79 Post by parklife03 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:48 pm

My opinion:
Perkins, Navarro and Chaney are top notch as always. Chris is even adding some cool fills on songs like "Then she did".
The keyboards are ok with me, as long as they don't interrumpt the Navarro epic solo on "Three days".

I think kinda Perry saves his voice/his air for the most "well known" songs. He sounds a little bit down on "Then she did", but "Just because", "Mountain song" and "Jane says" are pretty cool. And on the strongs parts of "Ted, just admit it" he did an amazing work.
Don't forget that he is 57 years old, and he has one of the most high-pitched voices in rock music.

Most singers of his age or even less (like Dave Mustaine, or Axl Rose) sound really crappy live. The only one that still sounds "the same as the old days" is Bruce Dickinson. The point with Megadeth is that they release a new album every two years, so they can play those songs and sound like Mustaine is singing right now.

Jane's is playing songs that are 25 years old, or even more. So I'm really thankful that we can still see them live and with Perry, and delivering a nice show. Obviously, I would prefer Jane's Addiction releasing albums every 3 or 4 years too and playing those tracks according to Perry's current voice, but we know that's rarely going to happen.

Noonesshocking

#80 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:19 pm

crater wrote:To read that people are saying that this is one of their better played shows has me shaking my head wondering what they sound like during a show that people consider one of their bad ones :confused:
"Better" is a relative term here. There have most certainly been more offensive shows than this.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmKwLJ5mco

(Embed doesn't seem to be working for some reason)

elbuitre

#81 Post by elbuitre » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:10 am

Why doesn't Perry use more echo? His voice would carry so much more, which he needs more and more as he gets older.

Cool to hear No One's Leaving getting played but it sounds so pedestrian in comparison to 1991/91 renditions. Needs to be sped up.

Oh, and Perry's definitely had work on his face. Is that even still debated?

bman

#82 Post by bman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 am

Perry was probably up for 3 days prior to that performance. He sang a lot in the last few weeks. I actually didn't really like this performance. Though it's very difficult to get a sense by watching it on a computer. I thought the Coney Island show as a lot cooler.

elbuitre

#83 Post by elbuitre » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm

I meant 1990/91....

Pillar Girl

#84 Post by Pillar Girl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:09 pm

"This video has been removed by the user."

bummer

parklife03

#85 Post by parklife03 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Pillar Girl wrote:"This video has been removed by the user."

bummer
Here is a link that is working (except for the quality -it's 360p-, it's the same):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMGAXEixxk

Anyway, I have it in 720p, so I can reupload it if needed.