EDM makes Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell “want to vomit”

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
CaseyContrarian

EDM makes Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell “want to vomit”

#1 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Can you believe this shit? What reality does this guy occupy?

EDM is electronic dance music. His beloved house genre (which his music and choice of collaborators proves he is fundamentally clueless about) is also electronic dance music. Balls, meet fist. :balls: :balls: :balls:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/e ... -to-vomit/

Photo by David Brendan Hall

Lollapalooza descends upon Chicago’s Grant Park next week, celebrating 25 years of the landmark alternative festival with the likes of Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Red Chili Peppers, and over 150 other hotly anticipated acts.

In anticipation, founder and Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell sat down with the Chicago Tribune’s Greg Kot to discuss the festival’s salad days, its early financial woes, and the blockbuster future that lies ahead.

However, Farrell proved surprisingly transparent on a variety of topics, specifically his titular EDM stage, which has become something of a punch line within the festival circle. Rest assured, he’s the first person laughing.

“When they said they wanted to name a stage after me (when the festival relaunched in 2005), I was honored,” he admits. “I like the adulation. But now you say, ‘Perry, what’s going on with your area here?’ Believe me, I’ve got questions myself.”

“I hate EDM,” he continues. “I want to vomit it out of my nostrils. I can’t stand what it did to what I love, which is house music, which was meditative, psychedelic — it took you on a journey. … I sometimes cringe at my own festival.”

Still, he contends that the festival wouldn’t be alive today without it, adding: “You’d have to do away with pop to escape it, and if you want to do a festival you can’t do away with pop.”

Farrell’s solution is even more surprising, as he hints at a new project in the near future: “The only way to change things is by changing things myself. At my new project, there will be great house music. I hope I will keep EDM at the door. They will be turned away.”

So, Lollapalooza II? Not exactly.

“I’ll transfer that experience and reach for the stars on my next project, and do things that have not been done by Lolla, and see how it goes,” Farrell explains. “It will be music-centric, I’m going to make a new scene, a new place, a different feel.

“Music will be at the heart of it,” he continues, “but it will be a completely new experience. That’s all I can tell you. You can expect the project to launch 18 months from now.”

Kot also spoke with co-founder Marc Geiger of William Morris, who had quite possibly the most sobering quotes of the entire piece. He argues that while Lollapalooza reflected “a subculture of music fans who felt alienated because mass media was telling them to listen to something they didn’t want,” those some bands and artists are “mainstream.”

“You can’t be rebellious anymore in that vein,” he extrapolates. “The kids aren’t defined by radio or other formatted MTV types of things. There’s a sprawling garden of music out there where everything is on the same platform — Spotify, Soundcloud, Beats, YouTube — and artists are not prejudged by an industry that likes to put everything in a specific bucket. We present what we think is great, which is less defined by genre. It’s more a buffet of music, because that’s where the listeners are.”

Agree, disagree, or consent, the interview is a great read, especially if you’ve been following the Lollapalooza lore for the past couple of decades. It should be noted that whereas other festivals have stumbled this summer, Grant Park’s diamond continues to sell out without a lineup.

That’s a type of power you can’t book or buy.

JOEinPHX

Re: EDM makes Lollapalooza founder Perry Farrell “want to vo

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:03 pm

A week before Lollapalooza, he shits on the artists playing the stage named after him.

What an idiot.

And yet that senile motherfucker will STILL be standing sidestage to watch them all, I guarantee it.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:18 am

Just curious... is there any, any chance that he doesn't know (or temporarily forgot) what EDM is and he's referring to it as if it was a drug? Namely, MDMA?

Stickyfingers

#4 Post by Stickyfingers » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:10 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20131101
Perry in 2013
Hopefully it will take me eight months to get it going.... For the next year it’s gonna be Kind Heaven
now summer 2016 and
You can expect the project to launch 18 months from now
:lol:

CaseyContrarian

#5 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:42 am

Stickyfingers wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20131101
Perry in 2013
Hopefully it will take me eight months to get it going.... For the next year it’s gonna be Kind Heaven
now summer 2016 and
You can expect the project to launch 18 months from now
:lol:
Yup. I noticed that, too. The guy is spent. And fried. Spried.

Lokus

#6 Post by Lokus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:24 am

He's using the term "EDM" in place of "currently popular dance music". I think he means he just doesn't like the current sound. Maybe the reason his project hasn't got any traction is because it is behind the times.

Also, the comments in there from Marc Geiger about the "garden of music" are interesting...I actually tend to believe it's better for the sake of music to not have everything tightly defined in genres, which was only ever a marketing invention of the record industry.

CaseyContrarian

#7 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 am

Agree in principal, but as a former vocational music writer, I have to say that coining sub-genres is super fun.

PS: PEW PEW PEW

clickie

#8 Post by clickie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:26 pm

I kinda like the new edgy perry who cringes at his own festival and pukes out his nose.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Lokus wrote: Maybe the reason his project hasn't got any traction is because it is behind the times.
I think it's more likely that it can't gain any traction because PERRY is behind the times.

I mean this is the dude who named the most recent tour "The Silver Spoons Anniversary Tour" Who the hell wants to go see something called that?

So he walks into these business meetings with these Las Vegas venues pitching something called "Kind Heaven", which sounds like nothing more than the same shitty thing he did with Jane's a few years ago in which he played some stupid youtube videos in the background between songs, but he's doing it 15 minutes after they just got off the phone booking a 5 years residency with Madonna or Guns n Roses. I think it's quite simply not getting off the ground because the guy hasn't had any musical credibility for 2 decades and what he is pitching already failed to sell tickets once already.

He's not even "the genius behind lollapalooza" anymore because C3 has booked the entire damn thing since it became a success in 2005. The last time Perry had his say, it was canceling events in 2003 and the entire tour got canceled in 2004.

Yeah, let's give THAT GUY a stage show. :tiphat:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:53 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Lokus wrote: Maybe the reason his project hasn't got any traction is because it is behind the times.
I think it's more likely that it can't gain any traction because PERRY is behind the times.

I mean this is the dude who named the most recent tour "The Silver Spoons Anniversary Tour" Who the hell wants to go see something called that?

So he walks into these business meetings with these Las Vegas venues pitching something called "Kind Heaven", which sounds like nothing more than the same shitty thing he did with Jane's a few years ago in which he played some stupid youtube videos in the background between songs, but he's doing it 15 minutes after they just got off the phone booking a 5 years residency with Madonna or Guns n Roses. I think it's quite simply not getting off the ground because the guy hasn't had any musical credibility for 2 decades and what he is pitching already failed to sell tickets once already.

He's not even "the genius behind lollapalooza" anymore because C3 has booked the entire damn thing since it became a success in 2005. The last time Perry had his say, it was canceling events in 2003 and the entire tour got canceled in 2004.

He is a prime example of what happens when you only surround yourself with people that tell you what you want to hear.

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 pm

He's also a prime example of what happens when you inject too much botox in your face:

Before:

After:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:42 am

Definitely took a little off his nose too.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 am

Six7Six7 wrote:He's also a prime example of what happens when you inject too much botox in your face:

Before:

Perry's "full retard" face. :lolol:

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:46 pm

ritdehabit wrote:Definitely took a little off his nose too.
Etty is slowly convincing him to look like a man she could have been attracted to.

CaseyContrarian

#15 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

#nailedit

CaseyContrarian

#16 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:45 pm

clickie wrote:I kinda like the new edgy perry who cringes at his own festival and pukes out his nose.
:lolol: :hehe: :lol:

elportosurfer9

#17 Post by elportosurfer9 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 am

Man, you guys are harsh. :scared:

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:47 am

elportosurfer9 wrote:Man, you guys are harsh. :scared:
Not as harsh as Perry's brain damage.

Bandit72

#19 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:51 pm

That photo of him looks like he's slowly turning into Christopher Reeve's role as Dracula.

Tyler Durden

#20 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Bandit72 wrote:That photo of him looks like he's slowly turning into Christopher Reeve's role as Dracula.
Lee's :wink:

kv

#21 Post by kv » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Dracuman? Superula?

Tyler Durden

#22 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:18 pm

kv wrote:Dracuman? Superula?
Perry Farrell's Dracuman Superula is the new off-broadway, theatrical, multi-media experience featuring music by Jane's Addiction and dancing by Etty Lau Farrell.

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Just kidding. It's Rob Zombie's new album. :lol:

Bandit72

#24 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:29 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:That photo of him looks like he's slowly turning into Christopher Reeve's role as Dracula.
Lee's :wink:
My bad, brain melt.

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:Dracuman? Superula?
Perry Farrell's Dracuman Superula is the new off-broadway, theatrical, multi-media experience featuring music by Jane's Addiction and dancing by Etty Lau Farrell.