Asbury park review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Asbury park review

#1 Post by bman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Don't ever go to the New Jersey shore. I can say this because I am from New Jersey. The New Jersey shore is a fucking shit show. I don't care if Bruce Springsteen is from here or if he's played the Stone Pony 100 times. This place is a shit show. first and foremost they are not prepared for the number of people who showed up tonight. There were lines of people wrapped around four blocks around the venue trying to get in and no one was telling people where to lineup. We finally get to the point where were are being let in and evidently my tickets on my phone are not Good enough ! This Bouncer is sayng that my live nation app tickets on my phone are not real tickets and that I need real paper tickets to get into the venue. I tell her I've been waiting in line for a fucking hour there's no way I'm going to be in line again. She starts Arguing with me and says I need to speak with someone else. Finally me and my wife are allowed in because the other bouncers are overwhelmed by the other large crowds trying to get in. The place is completely full and it's raining and now me and my friends are at pretty much half way towards the back of the venue. I've never seen Janes from so far away. Everything is fine and during the intro to three days I decide to light up a tiny Roach that was in my pocket . I hardly ever even smoke weed! I just happen to have a tiny roach in my pocket for tonight. Before I know it I am being dragged out of the venue by three bouncers with flashlights. I am also being choke held. I'm 42 years old and I'm am being aggressively thrown out of a venue
The worst part is being dragged through rows of people looking. I am arguing with them and saying what the fuck did I do wrong and they are saying I was smoking weed. I am screamng to get the fuck off me and now me and the douche bag with his hands around my neck are pushing eachother. I'm begging him to hit me and I am shoved out of the gate. I then decide to enter through another Entrance gate where again I I'm told I don't have legitimate tickets! They eventually let me in again too and I watch the second half of the show from the back and then decide I'm never coming to New Jersey again except to visit my family.

Fuck You Stone Pony.

Other random notes. Same set as last night. Hopefully other folks had fun!

JOEinPHX

Re: Asbury park review

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Not to be a dick here, but the security guards weren't the douchebags in that situation, YOU WERE.

They get paid to kick out idiots who light up joints inside their venue.

bman

#3 Post by bman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Typically, you missed the point.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:23 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Not to be a dick here, but the security guards weren't the douchebags in that situation, YOU WERE.

They get paid to kick out idiots who light up joints inside their venue.
:no:

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:05 am

Sounds like a fun night. Sometimes it's the shittiest shows that stick with you for a lifetime. Being on the Springsteen fan site for years, I've heard tons of horror stories about how fucked up it can be at the Stone Pony.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 am

bman wrote:Typically, you missed the point.
Your point was basically that the venue sucks because they didn't have ticket scanners for mobile, and because security kicked you out for doing something illegal.

I commented on one of those things, reminding you that you were the douche in the situation for lighting up a joint and then trying to fight the security (Seriously? How old are you?) when they removed your stupid ass.

I didn't miss your point. You were probably still drunk and high when you wrote the post, which wasn't a review of the show at all. It was just an angry Yelp review about how you feel slighted. You probably weren't expecting to be called out for being stupid, but I am doing so. You were stupid and deserved to be kicked out.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 am

In case you want to know which parts make you out to look like a douche:
I decide to light up a tiny Roach that was in my pocket . I hardly ever even smoke weed! I just happen to have a tiny roach in my pocket for tonight.

Oh, well since you hardly ever smoke weed, that makes it ok. Did you remind the bouncers that you hardly ever smoke weed? Like I could see them kicking someone out who smokes weed all the time, but not you. Oh no, you're different. Since you hardly ever smoke weed this is not a big deal and you should have been allowed to stay. :eyes:
I am arguing with them and saying what the fuck did I do wrong and they are saying I was smoking weed.
You WERE smoking weed. What were you arguing about exactly?
I'm begging him to hit me and I am shoved out of the gate.
What a douche. Begging them to hit you? I'm betting you were pretty drunk too. High people don't try and pick fights.
I then decide to enter through another Entrance gate where again I I'm told I don't have legitimate tickets!
You didn't.

I'm starting to think you don't even have mobile tickets. I think you tried to get in using e-tickets (e-tickets are a PDF you have to print, numb nuts)
They eventually let me in again too and I watch the second half of the show from the back and then decide I'm never coming to New Jersey again except to visit my family.
I'm sure everyone is thankful they won't have some dude smoking weed in their clubs and then begging security to hit them as they refuse to admit fault for their actions. Douche.

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:06 am

bman seems to be the quintessential asshole American everyone in the world loves to hate.

I can't believe weed is still illegal in many places, but if you light up somewhere where it's still illegal, and where are bouncers, you're almost asking for a bad experience.

"You're not letting me in because I don't have the proper ticket?! Well, last time I checked I thought this was America!!"

"You're kicking me out because I'm doing something illegal?! Last time I checked I thought this was America!!"

"You're not letting me into the venue after being kicked out?! Last time I checked I thought this was America!!"

Fuck you, bman. You're an entitled piece of shit. I hope New Jersey is declared the greatest city in the world just to piss you off. Deluded son of a bitch.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:32 am

LOL Larry. You sir seem like a total asshole. Yes, I wrote that review pissed off. And yes, I took a hit of weed and was jumped from behind and had two rough necks drag me out. Google Stone Pony. Evidently it's a thing there. Family's getting booted, women getting choke held etc. And quite frankly whether Larry B likes me or not will not affect me. But your hatred/envy of Americans certainly affects you.
:tiphat:

crater

#10 Post by crater » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 am

I hardly ever even smoke weed!

I just happen to have a tiny roach in my pocket
bman, just admit it...

If you couldn't go an hour without smoking, and you "just happened to have a tiny roach in your pocket", you smoke a lot. I've never seen a picture of you, but this is the image I see in my head after reading your posts after all these years.

creep
Site Admin

#11 Post by creep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:40 am

:lol: this thread has turned in to a bash bman thread.

when you guys gut put in a choke hold for smoking a joint see how you react.

yeah yeah i know you guys would never break the law. :conf:

bman

#12 Post by bman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 am

And I actually like the Jersey shore. I just won't go to Asbury Park again.

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:36 am

creep wrote::lol: this thread has turned in to a bash bman thread.

yeah yeah i know you guys would never break the law. :conf:
Yeah, while I see Bman pretty much asked to get thrown out doing what he was doing (I mean, you can't smoke cigarettes indoors without getting tossed), no matter how innocuous it was the Stone Pony goons are well known for being overzealous assholes.

Regarding the cellphone/ticket thing, Ticketmaster has an app that basically allows the ticket holder to have a digital barcode of the ticket on their phone that the venue scans with a reader right off your phone so you don't need to have a physical paper copy of your ticket. I've seen firsthand similar issues with this at shows with other people and I've long since learned to carry a paper copy either a printout or hard ticket as backup.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:51 pm

creep wrote:
That would never happen. I'm smart enough to smoke the joint in my car in the parking lot like EVERY OTHER CONCERTGOER DOES, then I go inside the venue. I learned that in high school, just like EVERY OTHER CONCERTGOER DOES

Smoking inside the venue is what people do when they think "I'll never get kicked out by security" and then they are the exact people you see getting kicked out by security.

SR

#15 Post by SR » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Yeah, well. Shitty thread

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:02 am

creep wrote: when you guys gut put in a choke hold for smoking a joint see how you react.
Yeah, it's obviously an over reaction, yet I'm willing to bet that it wasn't like "hey, that guy is smoking, let's choke him". I'd bet he was asked to leave, freedom bman refused to leave, then they grabbed him, freedom bman sort of fought back, and then they choked him.

Freedom bman is playing the victim card, when he did what he shouldn't have in the first place. If anybody catches you doing something wrong and then you complain because you suffered the obvious consequences, you're nothing but a spoiled little shit. "I lit a smoke while I was in the toilet of an airplane and the fucking bastards arrested me!"

bman

#17 Post by bman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:36 am

Check out the various Yelp reviews on this place. It happens a lot. That's all. I'm over it. But I'll never go to the Stone Pony again.

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am

creep wrote:
:nod:

Only in America. :no:

In Canada, people smoke weed at indoor venues all the time. But if you like up a cigarette, you're gone! The hypocrisy is outrageous.

What's with all of the bman hate in this thread? Seriously...you've never been to a venue with a horrible reputation? Never been to a venue that was poorly managed or had security that acted as if it was a fucking police state? Sure, these people have to deal with general concert going douchebaggery...but I've seen security "manhandle" people or just be fuck faces without being provoked in any way. It's not exactly uncommon. :idea:

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:16 am

It's not "bman hate" nor I see anyone saying that the venue or the bouncers made the right call. It's about bman complaining about something that was completely predictable due to his actions. If you smoke weed inside a venue, you might enjoy it like never before or you might get kicked out (and there's also a big range of option between those extremes). He got kicked out and he's complaining about it, as if it's something outrageous.

He's also complaining about the fact that he was prompted to show the appropriate ticket to get into the venue.

:crazy:

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

Well, this thread did come across as bman bashing to me. Perhaps that wasn't the intent, but that was my perception. Anyway, I'm sure all is okay.
Like Tyler pointed out, kicking a person out for smoking a joint at a concert does seem extreme, even if it's "the rules". As a bouncer, I would think that would be the least of my troubles, drunks are a way bigger problem. Also, the ticket app thing does cause confusion for some reason.

:gh:

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

Larry B. wrote:It's not "bman hate" nor I see anyone saying that the venue or the bouncers made the right call. It's about bman complaining about something that was completely predictable due to his actions. If you smoke weed inside a venue, you might enjoy it like never before or you might get kicked out (and there's also a big range of option between those extremes). He got kicked out and he's complaining about it, as if it's something outrageous.

He's also complaining about the fact that he was prompted to show the appropriate ticket to get into the venue.

:crazy:
A couple of things...

While you acknowledged that the choke hold was out of line, you still assume that he provoked the bouncer to escalate it to that level.

As for tickets, if they are "ticketfast" (print at home), then the venue must have bar code scanners to read the tickets. In which case, there's no reason why a bar code can not and should not be scanned off someone's phone. It sounds like the people at the venue were just being dicks. If the buyer is going to print off tickets and the venue has no way of scanning the ticket, that means that the ticket holder can just print off a ton of "tickets" and either sell them for profit or give them away...enabling a bunch of people to gain entry for free. Given they were over capacity, that may well have been what happened. That's negligence (and stupidity) on the part of the venue.

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:40 am

Speaking from personal experience, I've had issues with tickets or e-tickets. If it says "print this ticket", you're supposed to print the ticket. If it says "you can present this ticket in your mobile device", you don't need to print the ticket.

A couple of days ago I went to see John McLaughlin and a woman was removed from the theatre because the use of mobile devices was forbidden. The people working in the theatre used common sense (i.e., if you quickly checked the time on your mobile or took a picture before the start of the show you weren't going to be kicked out), but this woman was either recording, taking loads of pictures or simply checking her mobile for quite an extended period during the show (I couldn't see the light of her phone myself). She was warned by the stewards or whatever they were, she kept doing whatever she was doing, was then slapped on the back of the head by another member of the audience and then removed from the theatre.

She took a chance, and got a reasonable punishment. I bet she's complaining to her friends and family about how rude they were in the theater, when in fact she was the one being an asshole to everyone around her and she was the stupid fuck who thought she could do something annoying and it'd be totally OK.

bman

#23 Post by bman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:10 pm

I bought the Live Nation App presale tix and they couldn't be printed. Trust me, I tried. I'm always nervous about my phone dying too!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:38 pm

I have never had a problem with using the bar code on my phone, and have rarely been to a show where people weren't smoking pot. So I'm with Bman. Thats pretty standard shit. At worst, most places will tell you to put it out before grabbing you. That's fucking ridiculous.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

As for tickets, if they are "ticketfast" (print at home), then the venue must have bar code scanners to read the tickets. In which case, there's no reason why a bar code can not and should not be scanned off someone's phone.
Incorrect.

Mobile tickets and the PDFs that must be printed and scanned are different.

Venues that can't scan mobile barcodes wouldn't even have them as an option. There is a separate link to generate those on your phone.

He clearly had tickets that said "must be printed" and then simply didn't print them because he didn't read.