Asbury park review

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Asbury park review

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:05 pm

bman wrote:I bought the Live Nation App presale tix and they couldn't be printed. Trust me, I tried. I'm always nervous about my phone dying too!
Show us your ticket that you used to get into the event.

A screenshot is fine.

tubro

#27 Post by tubro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Bash bman all you like for defending jane's, but the people calling him out for expecting courtesy from the venue with regard to ticket entry and/or for lighting up a roach ('hey man that's illegal') are, in my view, not making legitimate arguments and are odd choices as such esteemed published haters of JA because it used to be edgy and now it's just a bunch of old forgives. . Perhaps they're bman haters. Or perhaps they're big law and order people.

But this place is known for its textbook jersey shore steroid addled pussy bouncers. I've been around the hospitality and concert business long enough to know that the venue/promoter is handsomely paid for people to enter their halls and buy their booze and owe their patrons common courtesy. I don't know bman but nothing about his billions of perry loving posts here suggests that he's a rowdy rude dick to ticket takers. It seems he was poorly treated at the door.

As for the roach, yes it's illegal. As a cannabis smoker (since 1975), I'm careful in public and I've never been arrested for it. But at the same time, at rock shows the generally expected response from security for lighting something up is a flashlight in your face. 'Put that out'. If the place is particularly strict, maybe you get tossed out. But a choke hold from three goons? Nope. That's all wrong. Again, nothing about bman's description suggests that he picked a fight. Once in a chokehold, it seems to me a perfectly reasonable hope that the gorilla doing it to me is stupid enough to set up himself and the club that allows such treatment to be sued. My neck's being choked already? Go ahead, asshole, and pop me one. I can use the money.

One more thing. When did the JA forum become a bastion of law and order loving 'don't smoke weed or else' Sheriff's? Sure you guys hate jane's. That's why you come here. Why not go to a legalize cannabis site and bitch about people at a j Mascis and Perry Farrell show lighting up a joint.

Oh, saw portchester the next night. They were okay. Some very strong moments. Very professional. Dude next to me, mid 30s, sang every word but had never seen them. He was very happy with the show and I don't blame him one bit. For me, Dino JR was better. At least I was treated courteously at every moment by the staff, bartenders at the attached bar, and anyone and everyone who may have seen me vaping hash oil.

A few comments - the stage is set up better now if they're going to continue to have Etty and the other two sex kittens gyrate around. They're mostly on a high riser behind and way above Perkins. Very easy to ignore. The girls who hang from their skin were back. That sucked. Just ridiculous. Ocean and whores instead of Ted was a nice surprise. Before the encore I was thinking how ridiculous it was that every person in the crowd had sweated all weekend in a severe heat wave but jane's wasn't playing ocean size or summertime rolls. I hoped maybe they'd keep it going and dump just because and Jane says for other rockers but no dice. Sort of sorry they didn't do the rebel rebel thing but would have preferred pigs in zen or idiots rule or maybe ripple since the place is such a deadhead haven. (Okay that wasn't happening, but a brother can hope.). I think the band was probably a bit more high energy earlier in the weekend. But they did their jobs and perk and Chaney never stop grinding. Navarro isn't helped by the keys. His guitar gets lost in the mix sometimes. This wasn't a problem for j Mascis, as loud as ever. Keys were very pretty during one song - forget which. Pretty much noise the rest of the time. RDLH high point was then she did, by far. To me, their best song, and it didn't disappoint. No one's leaving was nice to hear too. Of course was cool to hear and obvious rocked pretty hard. Dave played in the dark all night. Maybe a bit of a suboxone night for him. He still wailed on the solos but seemed to just be going along during the slower songs.

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 pm

:nyrexall: :nyrexall: :nyrexall: :nyrexall: :nyrexall: :nyrexall:

kv

#29 Post by kv » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 pm

67 u so mean

I wish we had video..I guarantee bman was not the model citizen prior to choke hold....and was at a move or we choke you hold or was he choking you?

SR

#30 Post by SR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks to tubro this thread no longer sucks

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am

tubro wrote: One more thing. When did the JA forum become a bastion of law and order loving 'don't smoke weed or else' Sheriff's? Sure you guys hate jane's.

:hehe:

bman

#32 Post by bman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 am

I am so pissed I went to Asbury instead of Portchester. Unfortunately Port was announced after I had bought tickets for the first two shows. I was hoping for Whores and Ocean the first two nights. Glad you enjoyed it.

bman

#33 Post by bman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 am

kv wrote:67 u so mean

I wish we had video..I guarantee bman was not the model citizen prior to choke hold....and was at a move or we choke you hold or was he choking you?
Trust me, I was standing in the middle of a packed crowd with my Wife and three friends. I am the furthest thing from a rowdy patron at shows. It was raining all night. I was standing still and had a hoodie on. Three Days starts and I take 1 puff of a tiny joint and drop it. From behind I am grabbed around my neck and hurried out. No words at all from the bouncers. Of course I started saying get the fuck off me. I wasn't fighting back or anything. I think I may have even said that I am a writer and will report you! (which isn't true) Once they pushed me out the gate is when I did lose my temper and verbally assault the goon and I'm pretty lucky because the roid heads would have could have given me a nice beating. My Wife got in the middle and then I had to deal with being pissed at me for almost getting in a fight! All and All it was a terrible night!

Tyler Durden

#34 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:30 am

Seriously, I completely believe bman's version of events. He's probably seen Jane's more than anyone else on this board and has never (to my knowledge) given a story like this about any show he has been to before. Why would he randomly go full douchebag? :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#35 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Seriously, I completely believe bman's version of events. He's probably seen Jane's more than anyone else on this board and has never (to my knowledge) given a story like this about any show he has been to before. Why would he randomly go full douchebag? :noclue:
He literally admitted he was telling security to hit him. Does that sound like someone who is the rational one in the situation?

He's complaining about being choked, but he wants them to hit him on top of it? His complaint doesn't hold water. He was clearly the aggressor.

Since I have seen this happen a dozen times, I'll bet it played out like this:

Bman, drunk as fuck: *smokes joint*
Security guy: Grabs Bman by the arm and says "out!"
Bman: "for what?"
Security Guy: "Smoking weed! You're out of here!"
Bman: "fuck you, I paid to get in here. I'm not going anywhere!"
Security Guy: *flashes his flashlight to alert that he needs additional help*
*2 other security guys approach Bman*
3 Security Guys: "Get the fuck out!"
Bman: "Fuck you. Take your hands off me, faggot! I'm watching the show with my wife!"
Bman's Wife: "He didn't do anything wrong! Get off him you pieces of shit!"
*Security Guys each grab an arm and start dragging him backwards out of the venue while another has his hand on Bman's chest pushing*
Bman: "Get the fuck off me! Fight me like a man, bro! Come on, I dare you to hit me! Hit me you faggot! I'll sue your ass! Bitch!"
*Security guys push Bman out the door and tell him not to come back*

Does that sound about right, Bman? Or were you too hammered to remember?

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 am

After being annoyed at the entrance because they asked to see his ticket...

And he also tells us his wife was angry with him after all of this. Night ruined by the stupid douche who A) wasn't bright enough to check if his ticket needed to printed and B) brought "just a bit of weed" to smoke inside the venue, when he could've so easily have smoked that "tiny bit of weed" in the car. But noooo, he wanted to be edgy as fuck and smoke inside the venue. Yeah, stick it to the man! Those damn pigs can think whatever they want, I'm super bad and I'll smoke this little bit of weed right here. And if they say something, I'll just fucking fight them, I swear to god...

bman

#37 Post by bman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:36 pm

LOL! We can differ on opinions. I even think 6767 is pretty funny most of the time. I'm glad my experience could waken this sleepy board. Have a great day all.

SR

#38 Post by SR » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Quicksand

Romeo

#39 Post by Romeo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:06 pm

ritdehabit wrote:I have never had a problem with using the bar code on my phone, and have rarely been to a show where people weren't smoking pot. So I'm with Bman. Thats pretty standard shit. At worst, most places will tell you to put it out before grabbing you. That's fucking ridiculous.
Yea..

When did this place turn into the fucking GOP convention? I don't think I've ever been to a show where someone(s) weren't smoking pot. Some shows I got a contact high

But whatever....it doesn't warrant a fucking choke hold by a over zealous bouncer

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:37 pm

people just love to start shit and take an opposing view. i've been guilty many times of doing it. bman takes a lot of shit here and never gives it back. all of a sudden he is lying and deserves everything that happened. seems sort of crazy to me.

on a related note what was that one bootleg (toronto?) where perry gets all over the bouncers for being too rough with the crowd?

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: He was clearly the aggressor.
who is being the aggressor now?

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 pm

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: He was clearly the aggressor.
who is being the aggressor now?
You. Stop bullying me, creep.

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:22 pm

creep,

Sue

#44 Post by Sue » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:03 pm

bman wrote:
kv wrote:67 u so mean

Trust me, I was standing in the middle of a packed crowd with my Wife and three friends. I am the furthest thing from a rowdy patron at shows. It was raining all night. I was standing still and had a hoodie on. Three Days starts and I take 1 puff of a tiny joint and drop it. From behind I am grabbed around my neck and hurried out. No words at all from the bouncers. Of course I started saying get the fuck off me. I wasn't fighting back or anything. I think I may have even said that I am a writer and will report you! (which isn't true) Once they pushed me out the gate is when I did lose my temper and verbally assault the goon and I'm pretty lucky because the roid heads would have could have given me a nice beating. My Wife got in the middle and then I had to deal with being pissed at me for almost getting in a fight! All and All it was a terrible night!

I've been to a bunch of the same shows as bman, met him once or twice in a group of bored members mingling (maybe at Banyan? Can't recall, it was proably 10 years ago but I digress)...anyway--my point is, I believe him as I've never seen him act anywhere close to warranting a choke hold, or actually anyone at any Jane's show I've attended. He also writes detailed reviews all the time and this is the first time we've ever heard him have a problem like that. Not that he need my $0.02 to defend him. I've also heard that there are over zealous bouncers at the Pony. :noclue:

ETA: as for the ticket issue, with the advent of the mobile tickets I've seen problems so frequently, even at MSG that I always print them (although I see bman said he didn't have that option). Don't trust the technology yet. Actually, I much prefer the hard tickets anyway for my collection, they are so much cooler than the full page printouts :love:

Juana

#45 Post by Juana » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Sounds like a shit show, I'm glad the bouncers and security around Austin don't suck like that.

MYXYLPLYX

#46 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Hmmm... I guess since I worked as a bouncer and actually have a published picture using a chokehold on a patron I'm obligated to reply here? :noclue:

At any rate, if bman's story about them placing hands on him without any provocation beyond his lighting up of a roach is true, then the venue security are entirely at fault.

Yeah, some of his behavior afterward might be chalked up as douchey, but given what preceded it, I give a pass.

The Fillmore where I started 15 years ago and still work on occasion is renown for looking the other way about weed smoking. If anything, I've had cigarette smokers get pissed at the double standard when I've asked them to put it out ("You can go outside and smoke your drug without repercussion...")

At the same time, back when I was a bouncer there were more than a few times a coworker went apeshit on some patron for almost no reason at all and it was just "Sorry buddy, I guess it's not your night." :conf: