Coney Island tonight

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pure Method

Coney Island tonight

#1 Post by Pure Method » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:23 am

Anyone going? I'll be there!

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on the boards. How is everyone? How has this run of shows been?

Romeo

Re: Coney Island tonight

#2 Post by Romeo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:19 pm

I have a ticket but I can't go
I'm moving tomorrow and I still have some packing to do
Have fun and eat a Nathan's for me

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Blackula and Turbo posted that they're going.

:wave: Have a good time tonight!

blackula

#4 Post by blackula » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Yes, in shit tons of traffic but going!

Sue

#5 Post by Sue » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm here!
They sound good

Sue

#6 Post by Sue » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 pm

blackula wrote:Yes, in shit tons of traffic but going!

And the goddamn traffic was awful

blackula

#7 Post by blackula » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Great venue in theory, shitty I reality. Just finished RDLH and it was actually great! Perry sounds great, first show of tour.

Encore....challenged crowd to hot dog eating contest and covering Rebel Rebel

bman

#8 Post by bman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:25 pm

My Review:

As I've stated many times before, Perry and Dave bring their A Game to NY. At least performance wise. Performance wise I give it an A. I haven't seen Navarro that into a show in a while. At least the first half. He was hopping around a bunch. Perry too. He was totally in the moment and all over the stage. That venue was packed as well. I was 2nd row perhaps right in the middle of the stage. Everyone around me sang all the songs. Unfortunately, louder than Perry! The sound, for me at least, was terrible. All I heard was Chaney! Chaney was super loud in the mix. Perry was singing his heart out and his lyrics were so low. The first few songs he kept pointing to his Mic and then to the sound guy but it didn't really help. This was the first time that Navarro's 3 days solo sounded low to me. Mountain song too. That was only complaint about tonight. They seemed on fire and totally into but the venue kind of had shitty sound. For Dinosaur JR I was at the very back of the Pit and still couldn't hear one of J Mascis's vocals.

Random notes..
Perry needs to find new dancers...I miss Stephanie Spansky from a few years back! I don't like the Classic Girl or Of Course dance bits at all. No dance routines needed for those songs.

Im waiting in line for a Beer before the show and some meathead and his woman are trying to figure out whether to get double red bull and vodkas or double tequilas with pineapple juice. The woman then asks, "Wait, is Dave Navarro with them?"..To which the Man replies, "No, he's in The Red Hot Chilli Peppers"

Before the show I went to see Stephen Perkins Drum Clinic at Guitar Center in Brooklyn! I showed up about 30 minutes into it. It was Steve, a few Janes fans in their late 30's/early 40's..and then about 8 young kids. I'm now convinced Perkins is the coolest dude ever. He's a such a nice dude and is so spiritual about his drumming. He's kind of like of teacher. He then led a drum circle in which I participated in. At the end I spoke briefly with him and asked why Janes doesn't do the intro Jam into Had a Dad they way they did in the past. He's like, "oh yeah that's right, wait..how does it go again!"..So I kind of air drummed it for him!". It was surreal. I was so shy to go talk to him but my wife made me, and then I started air drumming parts and singing the "Baby come on" part to him! He told me they always ask each other about jams they used to do but no one can remember.

Set:
All of Ritual
Rebel Rebel
Mountain Song
Ted
Jane Says

intertwoven

#9 Post by intertwoven » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Nice review, bman!

I thought Sperkins was the live recordings guru, ruomored to have a boot of every Janes show? Yet he can't remember the bastardized cover of Zep's "Bonzo's Montreux" that they used to do as a Had intro? Too much weed, bro! lol

blackula

#10 Post by blackula » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey Bman, I was in section 103 on Navarro's side about 40 rows back. I heard most of Perry's vocals and he sounded better than the last few times I've seen him. Maybe that 2011 (year?) Irving Plaza show he was better than tonight. Better than 2009 vocally in my opinion.

I'm happy they did RDLH. It adds that sad/pretty element to their set. They can rock out Ted and Mountain Song but hearing the quirkiness of Of Course, the sadness of Then She Did and the prettiness of Classic Girl adds a whole different dynamic to the set. Way less rawk. He was rather laid back with the banter. He poured wine into a guy's cup in the front row, challenged the crowd to a hot dog eating contest (Coney Island, home of Nathan's) and spoke briefly about being from Brooklyn originally. Besides for that he was relatively quiet.

That venue SUCKED. Bitch to get to, long slow lines for everything, and wtf is up with the pointless seating?? Why have it if it's all GA for each section?

I see the reason for having keyboards, Then She Did and Of Course, but he should keep it at that. The one or two "pew pews" that stood out were unnecessary (three days and Ted).

Perkins shorts were awesome!

bman

#11 Post by bman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Glad you liked it. Maybe right up front the vocals get drowned out. Cause I just saw a few clips on youtube and yeah Perry sounds audible. Right up front I could barely hear him or Navarro. And yeah Perkins loves showing off his briefs at the end of shows now!

zendo

#12 Post by zendo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:49 am

I was up front on Dave's side. Closest ever possibly, and had a great time! Perry was so good on some songs I thought they may have had a backing track, it was hard to tell because as others mentioned he and Dave were low in the mix close to the stage. Lots of great energy! I'm going to the Stone Pony for the first time tonight in Asbury Park.

Anyone going to that show?
Attachments
13718576_10208857751054888_4986299234976100692_n.jpg
13718576_10208857751054888_4986299234976100692_n.jpg (41.1 KiB) Viewed 9812 times

bman

#13 Post by bman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:04 am

I'm going tonight too.

coffeepotman

#14 Post by coffeepotman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:15 am

Agree, the show was one of the best I've seen of them recently, I was in from row behind the pit and could barely hear Perry's vocals, good thing I knew all the words.
The venue did kinda suck, and the seating was fucked up, just call it GA, but afterwards.... a night at Coney Island was fun as all hell and getting waysted on the beach! Can't beat it.

farrellgirl99

#15 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Didn't go to the show, partly bc I swore k wouldn't see them again and partly because I'm in Thailand right now lol

But wanted to know more about the venue, as I'm going to see Deftones in two weeks. Is there seating in the mezzanine sections? Cause when I bought the ticket it said there was seating up there. I'm too short to enjoy GA shows most the time and def do not want to be in the middle of a Deftones pit.

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:20 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:Didn't go to the show, partly bc I swore k wouldn't see them again and partly because I'm in Thailand right now lol

But wanted to know more about the venue, as I'm going to see Deftones in two weeks. Is there seating in the mezzanine sections? Cause when I bought the ticket it said there was seating up there. I'm too short to enjoy GA shows most the time and def do not want to be in the middle of a Deftones pit.
It's all seated by section but not seat. You can go wherever you want or can in your section as long as you don't stay in the aisle. It took us forever to get there. So much traffic, so if driving leave early. I thought about going to that show, not really into Deftones but Refused is great live.

blackula

#17 Post by blackula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Also, I couldn't believe the line to get into Jane's. I'm not into Dinosaur Jr so we went in at 9:15. The line was super long, I guess a lot of people felt the same way..

bman

#18 Post by bman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:13 pm

The crazy thing is I live in Kensington Brooklyn so it was like 8 subway stops away from me. I was home 30 minutes after the show for a change! If it was at Terminal 5 it would have taken 90 minutes at that hour.

farrellgirl99

#19 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am

Un JA-related, but just wanted to say the coney island amphitheater is such trash :lol: I wasn't expecting much based on the people on this board's experiences and online reviews, but wow. Who the fuck built this thing. The seats aren't sloped so people can't see anything. Plus the seats are cheap plastic and connected by a metal bar so you feel everything if someone moves. I was in the 200 section in the first row (THANK GOD) otherwise i wouldnt have been able to see shit. And the 300 section is just plastic bleacher seats with no backs? Those tickets were $45?! It's crazy.

I'm gonna research who the fuck built this place lol. It's like zero thought when into it. And the kicker is the bathrooms close 15 minutes BEFORE the end of the show. 1) How are you supposed to know when the show is going to end 2) What 3) What venue closes their bathrooms??? Never in my life have I seen that.

Deftones put on a fucking great show - the best I've seen them. Not a big fan of Refused besides New Beat but they put on a good show. Also got to take a picture with Stephen Carpenter before the show cause he was just chilling outside which was cool. But wow, never coming back to that hellhole venue, especially since its a two hour commute each way by train for me. So not worth it.

Sorry for the rant :lol: