The following bassline deserves its own thread:

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

The following bassline deserves its own thread:

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat May 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Someone posted the isolated standing in the shower bassline in the Perry isolated vocal thread and we need to take a minute to talk about how it is a goddamn work of art in itself.

https://youtu.be/Ur1kubcKGfw

It's percussive and melodic at the same time. It grooves. He adds tiny variations each time he cycles through a part. There are completely outside the box note choices. Truly something else. Very innovative even by today's standards.

Not that I had forgotten, but I am reminded how integral Eric is/was to this band.

Larry B.

Re: The following bassline deserves its own thread:

#2 Post by Larry B. » Sat May 28, 2016 3:16 pm

As much as I like it within the song, any musician or music aficionado can tell that his 'phrasing' is all over the place; i.e., his eight-notes don't last the same amount of time, which makes for an awkward listen on its own. And his attack for the chords he plays is quite weak, something I also noticed in Mountain Song.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Larry B. wrote:As much as I like it within the song, any musician or music aficionado can tell that his 'phrasing' is all over the place; i.e., his eight-notes don't last the same amount of time, which makes for an awkward listen on its own. And his attack for the chords he plays is quite weak, something I also noticed in Mountain Song.
Someone should run that through protools so it sounds nice and perfect like the last 2 Jane's records.

Then it will be better.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Sat May 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I think it sounds all right timing wise on its' own, but maybe my ears are off today :noclue:

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sat May 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:As much as I like it within the song, any musician or music aficionado can tell that his 'phrasing' is all over the place; i.e., his eight-notes don't last the same amount of time, which makes for an awkward listen on its own. And his attack for the chords he plays is quite weak, something I also noticed in Mountain Song.
Someone should run that through protools so it sounds nice and perfect like the last 2 Jane's records.

Then it will be better.
Exactly...perfect removes human

Just like old Jane's should have been to a click track because ebb and flow is so old school

Fuck perfect

nausearockpig

#6 Post by nausearockpig » Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm

I'd never REALLY listened to the bassline ( the shame, I know.... ) but I do really like it. I think it's the best thing about that song. not a fan of the vocals though and i feel they detract from the song a lot, which is why i never really gave it much ear-time. oh and the horns...

Squee

#7 Post by Squee » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:57 pm

kv wrote: Fuck perfect
Ha! this made my day!
:thumb:

guysmiley

#8 Post by guysmiley » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:20 am

Please post you're revised version.

Larry B.

#9 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 am

guysmiley wrote:
Where's your reading comprehension, buddy? I didn't say it was bad, I'm just saying the phrasing is all over the place. As it should be, probably. And the phrasing doesn't make for a pleasant listen, as probably would happen with other bass players. Have you heard of a couple of bands called The Who and The Kinks? Have you heard of The Beatles? The phrasing of their guitars and basses are usually all over the place, and some isolated tracks sound like shit, but they're good and their songs are great.

Take this song as probably the best example. I couldn't find the Revolver version, but I'm sure you've heard it before:

This is a very well-known song, a classic, a song that many people play at their weddings, etc. Yet the recording is fucking horrible. The guitar is out of tune, the little chromatic movement of the guitar is too fast and clashed with everything else, the phrasing of the bass isn't precise, etc.

And yet it's a good song, and it's a classic.

Eric's phrasing in some songs was all over the place. And it was good.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:23 pm

guysmiley wrote:
Yeah. As a musician you should record a version in the correct phrasing so we can hear the difference. :rockon:

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

sounds to me like Larry mix up timing with phrasing :noclue: cause his phrases are more or less the same throughout.

its really cool to hear it isolated, great bass lines beautifully executed. wish there were more