Dave Jerden Interview

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pillar Girl

Dave Jerden Interview

#1 Post by Pillar Girl » Thu May 26, 2016 1:51 am

was rummaging thru youtube and came across very interesting Dave Jerden Interview, mentioning Eric Avery
having the most intelligent ideas while in the studio, not sure if this has been shared before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdrQjWS1ee8

JOEinPHX

Re: Dave Jerden Interview

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Of course he did. :rockon:

Bandit72

#3 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:22 am

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

bman

#4 Post by bman » Fri May 27, 2016 5:59 am

Why did Perry/Janes never work with Jerden again after Ritual?

kv

#5 Post by kv » Fri May 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Because Bob Ezrin, Trent Rezner and Dave Sitik?

Not bad people just bad Perry.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Ezrin is a legendary producer (Pink floyd, Lou Reed) but not the right suit for Jane's at all. He's on record saying he couldn't sit through all of Ritual and thought it was too artsy or something like that. They should have left that guy completely alone.

Reznor = Genius, an album with him and his incredible studio chops would have been heaven. In fact he could probably remix TGEA to death and make it sound great

Sitek wasn't the producer, he helped write songs and look what came out of that... guy's overrated I think

blackula

#7 Post by blackula » Fri May 27, 2016 5:56 pm

That still confuses me. Chaney's with them for years, leaves when Eric comes back, plays a NYE Aspen show, isn't invited back when Eric leaves, they get Duff and start writing, Duff leaves, Sitek writes the album instead then declines to officially join, Chaney comes back.

Does Chaney have no interest in writing or does Perry have no respect for him beyond being a hired gun for tour?

Pillar Girl

#8 Post by Pillar Girl » Fri May 27, 2016 6:39 pm

blackula wrote:That still confuses me. Chaney's with them for years, leaves when Eric comes back, plays a NYE Aspen show, isn't invited back when Eric leaves, they get Duff and start writing, Duff leaves, Sitek writes the album instead then declines to officially join, Chaney comes back.

Does Chaney have no interest in writing or does Perry have no respect for him beyond being a hired gun for tour?
Chaney did play bass on the last Cult record recently this year, so I do believe he has talent in writing, now.. where that translates into the Jane's world of bass playing for records is another story. Maybe his ideas are not accepted for what Perry/Dave want for their own records.

I know Chaney has been a studio sessions player for years, worked with various artists, creating bass lines, also with the Panic Channel that we all know of, but it's all preferred tastes I guess, and there is only one Eric Avery.

I remember years back when Sonny did his interview with Eric and he mentioned that Chaney didn't have much of a stage presence and it almost seemed like he wanted to comment further on it, Avery even mentioned Chaney being more technically better than himself, but of course it's all subjective.

someguy

#9 Post by someguy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Chaney wrote wrong girl- it's in 7/4. During the Reznor sessions, Perry rejected an Eric idea that was in 7/4 because it "didn't groove like Jane's should" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SR

#10 Post by SR » Sat May 28, 2016 7:56 am

Matz wrote:Ezrin is a legendary producer (Pink floyd, Lou Reed) but not the right suit for Jane's at all. He's on record saying he couldn't sit through all of Ritual and thought it was too artsy or something like that. They should have left that guy completely alone.

Reznor = Genius, an album with him and his incredible studio chops would have been heaven. In fact he could probably remix TGEA to death and make it sound great

Sitek wasn't the producer, he helped write songs and look what came out of that... guy's overrated I think
Besides the GR thread, we don't always see things the same; this however is exactly my thinking too. :tiphat:

Noonesshocking

#11 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat May 28, 2016 11:47 am

Well maybe Jerden THOUGHT Eric had the best ideas but Perry was secretly humming everything to him before the sessions.

Noonesshocking

#12 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 am

In all seriousness, I think Jerden was at the La Cita show. I remember him writing something to the effect of "great show, had a fun night" on Eric's Facebook wall not long after it. This was when Eric had a regular Facebook and not an "artist page". Wonder if the idea to work with him was briefly considered.

Unrelated tangent - I remember before it was officially announced that Josh Klinghoffer was the new guitar player for RHCP, Eric wrote a happy bday post on his wall saying something like: "Happy birthday - hope all your rockstar dreams come true. Wait a minute, wait one hot fucking minute...". Josh used to have a regular Facebook too. Probably long gone now. And yes, I am admitting to some mild FB stalking back in the day :cool:

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 pm

SR wrote:
Matz wrote:Ezrin is a legendary producer (Pink floyd, Lou Reed) but not the right suit for Jane's at all. He's on record saying he couldn't sit through all of Ritual and thought it was too artsy or something like that. They should have left that guy completely alone.

Besides the GR thread, we don't always see things the same; this however is exactly my thinking too. :tiphat:
I know, my Josh bashing :nod: . I can't help myself. :noclue: But i'm working on it

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:Well maybe Jerden THOUGHT Eric had the best ideas but Perry was secretly humming everything to him before the sessions.
Yeah that was definitely it.

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:Well maybe Jerden THOUGHT Eric had the best ideas but Perry was secretly humming everything to him before the sessions.
Yeah that was definitely it.
:lolol:

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 am

Pillar Girl wrote:
Chaney did play bass on the last Cult record recently this year, so I do believe he has talent in writing, now.. where that translates into the Jane's world of bass playing for records is another story. Maybe his ideas are not accepted for what Perry/Dave want for their own records.
Chaney didn't write anything on the new Cult album; he was just a session guy.