switched from being a perry fan to a scott weiland fan

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
janesbiggestfan

switched from being a perry fan to a scott weiland fan

#1 Post by janesbiggestfan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:41 am

I have always liked STP starting from the 3rd album (when they dropped the low voice grunge posturing and went full 70s glam rock-bowie) but never passed the casual interest threshold. Now with scott's sad death several months back I delved into all of his recordings and have to say that being an already dead fuckup he has more talent promise and potential than perry being still alive (if we can call him that).

Honestly though, Scott Weiland has recorded approx 60 fucking awesome songs with amazing retro sounding analog board valve-amp sounding great music and had unbelievable talent for melody. He is an actual continuators and heir of the 70s greats like trex, bowie, elton john, zeppelin etc.
After spending one month listening to this guys entire opus with all the bands, including rarities covers etc I have to say that I'm ashamed to have been a perry believer for so long and to have remained unaware of scott's greatness for all these years when he was still alive. The greatest regret is that ive passoed on opportunities to see this man live. :banghead:

So now let it be known, out of the two remarkable singers who are now dead (in terms of future output) Scott Weiland was a far superior artist to Perry Farrell and should be considered the most under appreciated artist of his generation.

For those doubting SW's genius based on the lackluster Eddie Vedder copying on the first two STP albums, please consider these works of art:

JOEinPHX

Re: switched from being a perry fan to a scott weiland fan

#2 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:10 am

Weiland > Farrell

kv

#3 Post by kv » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:02 am

and here we go again version 12417

creep please change the ops name to "scottsbiggestfan"

still taking og perry over any frontman in my life (aside from maybe black francis)

it's all tastes

bman

#4 Post by bman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:15 am

Please. SW copied PF. Perry in his heyday was a ballsy, weird, punk, hippy, showman. He was incredible on stage. SW never had that presence.

Romeo

#5 Post by Romeo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:38 am

Yea. No presence
:no:

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 am

I've switched from being a Jim Morrison fan to a Eddie Van Halen fan to a Tony Iommi fan to a Lemmy fan to a Keith Richards fan to a Bruce Springsteen fan to a David Bowie fan to a Iggy Pop fan to a Stiv Bators fan to a Lux Interior fan to a Perry Farrel fan to a Jaz Coleman fan to a Trent Reznor fan to a Chrissy Hynde fan to a Pete Townsend fan to a Phil Lynott fan to a Gary Moore fan to a The Edge fan to a Danny Ash fan to a Tommy Bolin fan to a John Lennon fan to a Johnny Cash fan to a Jimmy Page fan to a Brian James fan......

But I never been a Sammy Hagar fan.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:11 am

I think I stopped being a fan of things. Now I just like some things and dislike other things.

Scott Weiland's corpus, including the shit posted above, just doesn't sound good to me, kinda like how Incubus, Pink Floyd, U2, and a million other bands that have fans also don't sound good to me, for the most part. Perry Farrell started making sounds that are in that category somewhere around 1996.

bman

#8 Post by bman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:21 am

I am speaking solely about Frontman stage presence. SW doesn't even come close to Perry in his prime. Scott was influenced by Perry for sure. Perry is up there with Iggy etc as some of the best frontmen ever. SW is not.

janesbiggestfan

#9 Post by janesbiggestfan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 am

I wouldn't question the rock god stage presence aspect of 1988-1990 Perry, but after all is said and done its more about the actual volume of recorded songs of which perry has several times fewer + his creativity was so short lived compared to scott's
could it be the heroin?

anyway, i didn't mean to start riots with this posting, just implore others who have over looked stp and SW like me, please give it a try an listen to his material, especially the solo stuff, the rarities and the last 4 albums of stp if you love great glam rock.

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 pm

I'd argue that there isn't a biggest, strongest frontman presence than Freddie Mercury's.

As there isn't a biggest, strongest solo artist presence than Michael Jackson's.

In terms of rock music, I don't think you can get any wilder and cooler than Axl Rose.

Weiland is a dozen steps below these sort of tiers. Never above Perry 1.0.

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

bman wrote:I am speaking solely about Frontman stage presence. SW doesn't even come close to Perry in his prime. Scott was influenced by Perry for sure. Perry is up there with Iggy etc as some of the best frontmen ever. SW is not.
Up to 96
Now we haves Botox filled, no voice fool who hops around the stage like an ass. Perry is not relevant

Iggy is 69, still occasionally crowd surfs and is still relevant. In safe the album he just released is pretty awesome. I love the song Gardenia

Everybody's Friend

#12 Post by Everybody's Friend » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Can I split the difference and dislike them both? :wave:

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Prince was the best frontman of all time. Watch this dvd and you'll know

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:10 pm

kv wrote:and here we go again version 12417

still taking og perry over any frontman in my life (aside from maybe black francis)

it's all tastes
Really?

Isn't Black Francis a horrible frontman?

I saw the Pixies live once. Boring experience

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Larry B. wrote:I'd argue that there isn't a biggest, strongest frontman presence than Freddie Mercury's.

As there isn't a biggest, strongest solo artist presence than Michael Jackson's.

In terms of rock music, I don't think you can get any wilder and cooler than Axl Rose.

Weiland is a dozen steps below these sort of tiers. Never above Perry 1.0.
Yeah, Freddie Mercury is the best combination of singer/frontman ever.

Mescal

#16 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Matz wrote:Prince was the best frontman of all time. Watch this dvd and you'll know

I saw em on this tour.

I was never a big Prince fan, but I was totally blown away by his performance.

Only then I noticed he could really do everything, he could rock out, funk out, play some psychedelic shit then go on and sing some ballads and bring out some hits in the meantime.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Mescal wrote:

it's all tastes
Really?

it's all tastes...i think salt is better....salts sucks pepper is better...pepper is gross...they both suck....i love them both...no wrongs or rights :noclue:

Mescal

#18 Post by Mescal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 am

kv wrote:
Mescal wrote:

it's all tastes
Really?

it's all tastes...i think salt is better....salts sucks pepper is better...pepper is gross...they both suck....i love them both...no wrongs or rights :noclue:
Yeah sure, obviously.

Just saying I wouldn't think about Frank Black when thinking about greatest front men in the world.

I like the Pixies thought.

Mescal

#19 Post by Mescal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:22 am

- t

trevor ayer

#20 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:02 am

Frank Black Francis don't need to wiggle around and grab his crotch to be a great frontman

The music is so good it doesn't matter ... Same with Robert Smith ... Prince gave up dancing a long time ago and his frontman antics (endless call and response put yer cellphones up etc...) actually detract from the real draw which is his music

Perry did crazy stuff to get attention ... U have to at first .. Even prince used to perform in a speedo .. Its just marketing .. But nothing to do with being a frontman ... Frank black just skipped the showman aspect and stuck to the music ...

Romeo

#21 Post by Romeo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:48 am

trevor ayer wrote:Prince gave up dancing a long time ago and his frontman antics (endless call and response put yer cellphones up etc...) actually detract from the real draw which is his music

:hs:

HUH?
I saw Prince in 2011. He was dancing, fronting, playing.....
He was CAPTIVATING!

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:54 am

BTW this was the set list from the last show I was at
Setlist

Laydown

Little Red Corvette

The Beautiful Ones

Controversy

Cool
(The Time cover) (with ?uestlove)

Let's Work

U Got the Look
Encore:
Nothing Compares 2 U

Encore 2:
Crazy
(Gnarls Barkley cover) (with CeeLo Green)

Let's Go Crazy

Delirious

Dreamer

Welcome 2 America

When Doves Cry
(partial)

Kiss

Encore 3:
Nasty Girl
(Vanity 6 cover)

Forever in My Life

Sign “☮” the Times
Alphabet St.

A Love Bizarre
(Sheila E. cover)

Hot Thing

Pop Life
Play Video
I Would Die 4 U

Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)
(Beyoncé cover)

If I Was Your Girlfriend

Insatiable

Scandalous

Adore

Encore 4:
Mountains

Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)
(The Jacksons cover)

Everyday People
(Sly & The Family Stone cover)

I Want to Take You Higher
(Sly & The Family Stone cover)

trevor ayer

#23 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 am

I've no doubt that he occasionally busts a move ... The guy had major hip and knee problems ... There are lots of shows surfacing on youtube .. U can check out what he used to do in comparison... He also used to play more full songs ... Recently it is more like 27 30 second snippets of songs in a medley with maybe 10 full songs over. 3 hour set ... More of a "remember this song?" Audience cheers ... Than a full airing of any particular song ... A habit that did not do the actual music justice ...

Imagine if perry sang the opening verse of "i would 4 u" then seagued into a horn based chorus of been caught stealing ... Then seagued into just the guitar solo for three days ... Then gave us a full 20 minute jam on superhero while perry yelled get ur hands up over and over

Then u might have a better understanding of why i say prince frontman antics detract from the music

Juana

#24 Post by Juana » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 am

Romeo wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:Prince gave up dancing a long time ago and his frontman antics (endless call and response put yer cellphones up etc...) actually detract from the real draw which is his music

:hs:

HUH?
I saw Prince in 2011. He was dancing, fronting, playing.....
He was CAPTIVATING!
At the SXSW show I went to that was 3+ hours long he slayed it.

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:23 am

Mescal wrote:
kv wrote:
Mescal wrote:

it's all tastes
Really?

Yeah sure, obviously.

Just saying I wouldn't think about Frank Black when thinking about greatest front men in the world.

I like the Pixies thought.
I saw them just over a year ago, and it was a great show. Tons of energy. It was the fans who sucked. I was in the pit and it was all Milhouse and Kirk van Houtens. :no: Maybe that's because it was WIsconsin though... Also I was drunk...