lollapalooza

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: lollapalooza

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:21 am

I'll bet Lollapalooza would have an easier time selecting special headliners if they didn't run 6 separate festivals around the globe in a 3 month timeframe.

Good job Perry. Way to find ways to make your festival as thin as your band's set list.

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:44 am

Mescal wrote:Baby do you want to do some Rich Sex

Gotta love the lyrics
damn they stole the lyrics to the next Perry Etty song!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#23 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 am

Larry B. wrote:
kv wrote:think of how low they should really be if perry didn't own a stake in lolla....prob had to fight tooth and nail to make the second line
I was surprised to see them higher than Third Eye Blind and fucking Honeysuckle.
I am surprised to see Third Eye Blind on the bill period. How much did they pay to get on there? What's next, Matchbox 20?

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:06 pm

creep wrote:just looked them up and now i know why i don't know them.

this future guy is horrible.

My wife listens to this shit all day long. Every time I drive her car, the first thing I do before I even adjust the mirrors or buckle my seat belt is change the station off of KIIS FM. Today's pop music doesn't make me feel old, it makes me feel lucky I lived through the era I did.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

My wife listens to this shit all day long. Every time I drive her car, the first thing I do before I even adjust the mirrors or buckle my seat belt is change the station off of KIIS FM. Today's pop music doesn't make me feel old, it makes me feel lucky I lived through the era I did.
I'm not a fan of that music either. I think that shit is called "trap". Seems to be a popular sound these days.

According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_music
Trap music is a music genre that originated in the early 1990s in the Southern United States. It is typified by its aggressive lyrical content and sound, where the instrumentals are propelled by 808 kick drums or heavy extended sub-bass lines, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats,[1] layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.

Characteristics
Trap music incorporates an extensive use of multi-layered hard-lined and melodic synthesizers; crisp, grimy and rhythmic snares; deep 808 sub-bass kick drums or heavy sub-bass lines; double-time, triple-time and similarly divided hi-hats; and a cinematic and symphonic utilization of string, brass and keyboard instruments creating an overall dark, harsh, grim and bleak atmosphere for the listener. These primary characteristics would go on to be the signature sound of trap music originating from producer Shawty Redd. The tempo of a typical trap beat is around 140 BPM.

Trap music is also defined by its ominous, bleak, gritty and belligerent lyrical content which varies widely according to artist. Typical lyrical themes portrayed include observations of street life, poverty, violence, hardship in the "trap" and harsh experiences in urban surroundings.

Larry B.

#26 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

I'm not a fan of that music either. I think that shit is called "trap". Seems to be a popular sound these days.

According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_music
Trap music is a music genre that originated in the early 1990s in the Southern United States. It is typified by its aggressive lyrical content and sound, where the instrumentals are propelled by 808 kick drums or heavy extended sub-bass lines, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats,[1] layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.

Characteristics
Trap music incorporates an extensive use of multi-layered hard-lined and melodic synthesizers; crisp, grimy and rhythmic snares; deep 808 sub-bass kick drums or heavy sub-bass lines; double-time, triple-time and similarly divided hi-hats; and a cinematic and symphonic utilization of string, brass and keyboard instruments creating an overall dark, harsh, grim and bleak atmosphere for the listener. These primary characteristics would go on to be the signature sound of trap music originating from producer Shawty Redd. The tempo of a typical trap beat is around 140 BPM.

Trap music is also defined by its ominous, bleak, gritty and belligerent lyrical content which varies widely according to artist. Typical lyrical themes portrayed include observations of street life, poverty, violence, hardship in the "trap" and harsh experiences in urban surroundings.
Terrible music, but I have to admit those are some nice teettays.

Tyler Durden

#27 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:15 pm

hokahey wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
kv wrote:think of how low they should really be if perry didn't own a stake in lolla....prob had to fight tooth and nail to make the second line
I was surprised to see them higher than Third Eye Blind and fucking Honeysuckle.
I am surprised to see Third Eye Blind on the bill period. How much did they pay to get on there? What's next, Matchbox 20?
Ignore the marketing you recall from the 90s. Third Eye Blind always deserved better than to be lumped in with the likes of crap like Matchbox 20 and Eve 6; they were marketed as one of the post-grunge "number" bands. Kind of like when all those bands in the early 00s were marketed as "The" bands (White Stripes, Strokes, Vines, Hives, etc)...most of them weren't much alike.

Anyway, Third Eye Blind deserves to be there. They have a pretty huge cult following; they've kept their original fans and have converted a ton of fans from subsequent generations (thanks to downloading their 90s hits and listening to the newer material). Seriously, they resonate more with millennials than most 90s acts...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:53 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Ignore the marketing you recall from the 90s. Third Eye Blind always deserved better than to be lumped in with the likes of crap like Matchbox 20 and Eve 6; they were marketed as one of the post-grunge "number" bands. Kind of like when all those bands in the early 00s were marketed as "The" bands (White Stripes, Strokes, Vines, Hives, etc)...most of them weren't much alike.

Anyway, Third Eye Blind deserves to be there. They have a pretty huge cult following; they've kept their original fans and have converted a ton of fans from subsequent generations (thanks to downloading their 90s hits and listening to the newer material). Seriously, they resonate more with millennials than most 90s acts...

They get lumped in because their music sounded like the same shit. Really had nothing to do with marketing.

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:55 pm

Hoooooooooooooooooow's it gooooonnnnnnna beeeeeeee

How's it gonna be?

creep
Site Admin

#30 Post by creep » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 am

the lead singer dated charlize theron for three years. you have to give him credit for that.

Squee

#31 Post by Squee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm

creep wrote:the lead singer dated charlize theron for three years. you have to give him credit for that.
The stories that my brother told at many a Thanksgiving dinner about precious snowflake Stephan had me rolling for days!
Let's just say he had an unhealthy emotional attachment to a certain hat and leave it at that :lol:

Tyler Durden

#32 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

hokahey wrote:
They get lumped in because their music sounded like the same shit. Really had nothing to do with marketing.
You couldn't be more wrong and obviously haven't actively listened to their music. As I said, there is a reason that subsequent generations are listening to their music while ignoring their post-grunge "peers". I guess Pearl Jam and Seven Mary Three are "the same shit" too. :lol:
Last edited by Tyler Durden on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:41 am

Squee wrote:
creep wrote:the lead singer dated charlize theron for three years. you have to give him credit for that.
The stories that my brother told at many a Thanksgiving dinner about precious snowflake Stephan had me rolling for days!
Let's just say he had an unhealthy emotional attachment to a certain hat and leave it at that :lol:
Yeah, Stephan Jenkins is a douche...but he's still a great songwriter. Not only did he have an unhealthy attachment to that lame top hat, he also had an unhealthy attachment to Charlize Theron that resulted in an excellent album that reflected in their relationship and breakup.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#34 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 04, 2016 11:53 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
hokahey wrote:
You couldn't be more wrong and obviously haven't actively listened to their music. As I said, there is a reason that subsequent generations are listening to their music while ignoring their post-grunge "peers". I guess Pearl Jam and Seven Mary Three are "the same shit" too. :lol:
I watched those god awful videos. They are a shit pop band.

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Oh no! The "p" word! :lol:

Seriously, hoka...it doesn't matter what you think of them...they're cool among college kids and hipsters, hence they're playing tons of festivals these days (unlike the other "number" bands of the same era).

Hokahey
Site Admin

#36 Post by Hokahey » Wed May 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Google tells me that people who searched for Third Eye Blind also searched for Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20 and Dashboard Confessional.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Wed May 04, 2016 6:31 pm

i think they suck (especially live) but i do like this song. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#38 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

I like this one:

Tyler Durden

#39 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 pm

hokahey wrote:Google tells me that people who searched for Third Eye Blind also searched for Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20 and Dashboard Confessional.
Whatever...there are Jane's Addiction fans who love STP and Incubus. :lol:

To be fair, the Goo Goo Dolls were a good band at one time (pre "Iris")...they collaborated with Paul Westerberg.

As for Dashboard Confessional, I can see why some people wouldn't like them at all. You're either into what they're doing or you're not.

Matchbox 20...yeah, they fucking blow.

Anyway, I feel like you have a serious bias against pop rock, hoka. I'm not saying that Third Eye Blind are one of the best bands of all time or something...just stating that there is a logical explanation as for why they are still popular with subsequent generations and on these festival rosters.

I think this is some very good early adulthood angst...

Sue

#40 Post by Sue » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:59 pm

They are making "Lollapalooza© Bangles?

enter here
http://www.alexandani.com/lollapalooza-sweepstakes

EDIT:
also Bonnaroo bangles "Our sponsorship also includes the creation of two custom festival-specific bangles – one for Bonnaroo and one for Lollapalooza – which will be for sale exclusively onsite at the festivals and online beginning June 1 and July 5 respectively."

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:10 am

am i the only one that had to google what a bangle was?

kv

#42 Post by kv » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:59 am

yes

Hokahey
Site Admin

#43 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:48 pm

No.

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:57 pm