Mourning Son

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
janesbiggestfan

Re: Mourning Son

#26 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:16 am

Yea I guess it is a sort of minor miracle that dave didn't go down the weiland and winehouse road.... he was among the favorites to OD for years...

Romeo

#27 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 am

Weiland and Navarro have both died a thousand deaths already. There's always that one you don't come back from :nyrexall:

I will have to dig it out but I read Scott's ex-wife's book. Dave relayed a story to her for the book regarding Scott being at Dave's Hollywood Hills house. And it's HYSTERICAL. When I go home I'll dig it up and post it.

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:39 am

It was something along the lines of "I'm going to write something about you, but you have to go outside"

So Dave went outside for like an hour, waiting for Scott to finish so he could come back in and read it. After awhile Dave was wondering what was taking so long, and went inside to find Scott passed out, having only managed to write "Dave, the thing I like most about us is that(...)" (or something along those lines. He never got past the word "that") :lol:

Her book was way better than Scott's book. Scott's was short, only really historical in nature, and he described every single person he ever met by giving their height, weight, and what kinds of clothes they had on. haha

Romeo

#29 Post by Romeo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 pm

no Scott went out on the balcony to write a letter to Dave and then proceeded to passed out.
First he wouldn't come in the house because he told Dave his house was haunted. And it took Dave a long time to convince him they were "good" ghosts. THEN he told Dave he was very worried about his drug use (as Scott was higher than a satellite) and he was going to write Dave a letter explaining this

He got as far as "Dear Dave I think you should....." and that was it. Dave thought the letter was brilliant and framed it :lol:

When Mary's book was released I went to a reading and that passage about Dave's house was what she read. Beautiful woman (with her own demons and troubles) but really sweet.

Warped

#30 Post by Warped » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:44 pm

@Mats: It's not available here, they are working on an international release Todd said.

It's 2 years ago that i quit smoking and i gained some weight. Its fucked up and very hard to lose the extra weight but still i am happy i made it.

And even if i am not a fan of his current haircut i still think Dave looks incredible good and sexy for his age :love:

Lokus

#31 Post by Lokus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:31 pm

I watched the movie last night. I liked it, and I think I would have even if I wasn't a Jane's fan.

It was a pretty interesting look at someone dealing with a horrific experience throughout their life. I really didn't expect the ending at all.

It is unnecessarily long. They easily could have cut out 20-25 minutes. There's too many cut scenes between interviews that reuses a lot of the same photos and footage, so you see the same thing multiple times. Some of the interview dialog goes on too long too, the main point could still have been made with tigher editing. This is more a criticism of form, not substantive content. It's not bad for essentially an amateur director (Todd Newman).

My wife also liked it and she is not really a Jane's fan.

Squee

#32 Post by Squee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:28 pm

I have it all downloaded & ready to go in my iTunes.

I was a juror on a murder case recently for a woman killed by her ex boyfriend that had stalked her for months. It was a long and difficult case to be a part of, so I know seeing this will bring up some strong emotions in me. One of her sons that I heard testimony from was just about the same age Dave was when his mother was murdered. Waiting for just the right time to watch it.

tvrec

#33 Post by tvrec » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:29 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dav ... cee16f2ee9

Article on HuffPost about Dave and the documentary. Film is discussed in positive terms, particularly in relation to its attempts to raise awareness about domestic abuse and the comments following the article are tremendously kind toward Dave.

coffeepotman

#34 Post by coffeepotman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:43 am

Tried to watch it yesterday, got halfway through and gave up. It's a terribly tragic story intertwined with what a freak Dave is. I really don't wanna see him drinking his own blood or hanging from meathooks, WTF does that have to do with anything except show how fucked up he is. I really feel sorry for the guy, he is extremely talented and what he went through no child should ever have to go through but I couldn't watch it.

Matz

#35 Post by Matz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:17 pm

relax, it's just dramatic Dave doing his thing....like when he had a coffin in his living room and the Fiona Apple thing, no big deal, don't judge so hard.

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:40 pm

coffeepotman wrote:Tried to watch it yesterday, got halfway through and gave up. It's a terribly tragic story intertwined with what a freak Dave is. I really don't wanna see him drinking his own blood or hanging from meathooks, WTF does that have to do with anything except show how fucked up he is. I really feel sorry for the guy, he is extremely talented and what he went through no child should ever have to go through but I couldn't watch it.
Spoilers, dude.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 pm

coffeepotman wrote:Tried to watch it yesterday, got halfway through and gave up. It's a terribly tragic story intertwined with what a freak Dave is. I really don't wanna see him drinking his own blood or hanging from meathooks, WTF does that have to do with anything except show how fucked up he is. I really feel sorry for the guy, he is extremely talented and what he went through no child should ever have to go through but I couldn't watch it.
At no point did he drink his own blood.

Are you sure you downloaded the right documentary?

Lokus

#38 Post by Lokus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:42 pm

In Mournings Sun, I distinctly remember a scene from that little film he made with his first wife where he is wearing the pig tails wig and stockings and she cuts him, puts his blood in her mouth and then kisses him.

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:00 am

:eyes:

SR

#40 Post by SR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:49 am

I think I have related this story here, but I went to hs with DN. God, it had to have been 1985-6 as Jane's hadn't hit just yet....my best friend was close to Dave as they went to catholic elementary school together, Good Shepard I believe. Anyways, we went to visit him at his apt in Westwood. When we got there, Dave was on the floor leaning against the wall, playing guitar with sunglasses on. If he said anything, I don't remember it. There wasn't a stitch of furniture in the place save a dirty old sofa. My friend tried to grease a sense of normalcy into the visit to no avail. I just said.....we gotta go, too creepy. I didn't learn until years later that his mom was murdered. Only then did it make sense.

SR

#41 Post by SR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 am

I think I am in the few here who think NS is superior to RDLH in every way, but DN's guitar on NS is so organic, inspired, creative, authentic, and boldly expressive that I wonder if anything from this film can be derived to shed light on it.....

Mescal

#42 Post by Mescal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:35 am

SR wrote:I think I have related this story here, but I went to hs with DN. God, it had to have been 1985-6 as Jane's hadn't hit just yet....my best friend was close to Dave as they went to catholic elementary school together, Good Shepard I believe. Anyways, we went to visit him at his apt in Westwood. When we got there, Dave was on the floor leaning against the wall, playing guitar with sunglasses on. If he said anything, I don't remember it. There wasn't a stitch of furniture in the place save a dirty old sofa. My friend tried to grease a sense of normalcy into the visit to no avail. I just said.....we gotta go, too creepy. I didn't learn until years later that his mom was murdered. Only then did it make sense.
Wow.

Haven't heard that story before.

To me, this also says that if you want to make it as a professional musician you have to drop everything, except making music

Larry B.

#43 Post by Larry B. » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Mescal wrote:
SR wrote:I think I have related this story here, but I went to hs with DN. God, it had to have been 1985-6 as Jane's hadn't hit just yet....my best friend was close to Dave as they went to catholic elementary school together, Good Shepard I believe. Anyways, we went to visit him at his apt in Westwood. When we got there, Dave was on the floor leaning against the wall, playing guitar with sunglasses on. If he said anything, I don't remember it. There wasn't a stitch of furniture in the place save a dirty old sofa. My friend tried to grease a sense of normalcy into the visit to no avail. I just said.....we gotta go, too creepy. I didn't learn until years later that his mom was murdered. Only then did it make sense.
Wow.

Haven't heard that story before.

To me, this also says that if you want to make it as a professional musician you have to drop everything, except making music
A friend of mine, with whom I studied music and had a few bands, actually "made it" as a professional musician; not as a rock star, but an actual, sought after session musician in my country. He's been all over the world touring with different bands and orchestras, and he basically did have to drop everything except making/playing music. He also had to live in a very small flat for two or three years, in very basic conditions and with a bunch of other people. In his case, it's a very nomadic lifestyle, as he can spend 2 months in Chile and then leave for 2 months while he tours Europe or Australia, and then back for a week to Santiago and afterwards he spends 3 weeks touring Chile (which is a fucking long country).

I keep in touch with him and I'm very happy that he made it, and it's also a bit reassuring knowing that I don't think I would've been good for that lifestyle. Just being surrounded by people all the time and having to do without almost any privacy... it's not for me. And it's also a bit too pseudo-spiritual for my taste.

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:24 pm

SR wrote:I think I am in the few here who think NS is superior to RDLH in every way, but DN's guitar on NS is so organic, inspired, creative, authentic, and boldly expressive that I wonder if anything from this film can be derived to shed light on it.....
I am one of the few with you, and I've always wondered how much of the guitar (specifically composition) is actually Dave's. A bunch of those songs sounded pretty much the same before Dave was in the band. So what did Dave add?

I mean, specifically, there were shows in '85 BEFORE Dave was in the band, so obviously they had enough songs written and practiced to play shows then. See, e.g.,
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 01-10/407/
Whores
Pigs In Zen
Mountain Song
Idiots Rule
Kettle Whistle
Ain't No Right
Had A Dad
My Time
I Got A Right (Iggy & The Stooges)
And this: http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 01-xx/768/
Jane Says
My Time
Had A Dad
Idiots Rule
Pigs In Zen
Mountain Song

... The recording features Ed Dobrydnio on guitar and is commonly referred to by fans as the "Pre-Dave demo". Dave replaced Ed soon after, and in March of 1986, went into the studio and re-recorded the guitar parts.

So from XXX and NS, it looks like only a few songs *may* have involved Dave in a creative role: Ted..., Summertime... Shower... not much else. Actually... it appears a significant portion of Ritual was pre-Dave written as well.

And of course I don't mean to suggest that Dave didn't add anything to these songs (especially tone, extra fills, solos, etc.), but more that perhaps what makes NS the greater masterpiece is that it was more organic, and didn't involve as much of a role for Dave. I'd conjecture that Eric and Perry wrote pretty much everything, and Dave played a lot of those songs as written for him, with stuff added, which wouldn't make or break the songs.

coffeepotman

#45 Post by coffeepotman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
At no point did he drink his own blood.

Are you sure you downloaded the right documentary?
Maybe not drink his own blood, I was taking artistic license, but at the beginning there is some bloodletting from his forhead. The movie really affected me, I've had violence occur in my childhood and I think it just touched a nerve. Dave and I are the same age so when I saw all the images of his childhood it reminded me of my own. It just brought back a lot of memories that I've hidden away and would rather not relive.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:58 pm

The conclusion of the bloodletting was actually quite beautiful.

You should have stuck around till the end.

Romeo

#47 Post by Romeo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:25 am

Never knew that. Cool story!! :rockon:

Matz

#48 Post by Matz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:03 am

when's the international release happenin? :waits: :waits: :waits:

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:22 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:Man has Dave aged like 15 years in the last couple of months or what? I thought he would never age but something about the glasses the skrillex hair and the increasing grey hair and more wrinkly face just kicked in combined together over the last two seasons of ink master.

He also got bulkier lately which doesnt suit him imo. He looked superhuman handsome when he was zero fat shredded and fit but not bulky. Think relapse period up until the rexall video clip.

Its crazy if you think about it that he got old so immediately after getting things sorted out quitting heroin making some healing closing this chapter with his mom maybe getting more comfortable and confident due to having something of his own finally (ink masta) and gaining relative stand vs perry in terms of interband dynamics and even quitting smoking after 25 years

Strange how it works
He's been getting older the whole time... just like the rest of us... you just probably see a lot of the same photos, and he's know to wear a ton of makeup. At a certain point you just can't maintain the same look you've had for three decades and still look the same. I think the cutoff is somewhere less than three decades.