Spend Your Body

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
perkana

Re: Spend Your Body

#51 Post by perkana » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm

creep wrote:what i want to see...there was a youtube video shot when satellite party were doing flashmobs and i think it was one at lollapalooza that i want to see again. etty's microphone was mixed wrong and it was really loud and she was ohhhh'ing and ahhhhh'ing really off key and loud.
She sounded pretty awful in everything I watched, but could this be it?

edit: ok, here she sounds so off key and made me laugh more than the other video...

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:48 pm

no...not it. it is gone. it was a small flash mob thing.

i forgot how bad that kinky song was. perry did have some of his best lyrical work of all time in that song though.. :conf:
It's my birthday, I'm in my birthday suit
We are fresh berries, dip us in chocolate
Stripped and strewn around the room

blackula

#53 Post by blackula » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 pm

creep wrote:no...not it. it is gone. it was a small flash mob thing.

i forgot how bad that kinky song was. perry did have some of his best lyrical work of all time in that song though.. :conf:
He needs to stay away from food lyrics. "I am the killer of people, you look like a meatball"

creep
Site Admin

#54 Post by creep » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:30 pm

blackula wrote:
creep wrote:no...not it. it is gone. it was a small flash mob thing.

He needs to stay away from food lyrics. "I am the killer of people, you look like a meatball"
And all these people on the ground
Are hungry for some beats to pound
Don't need no bread
They just scream for a morsel of sound
More sound

Stickyfingers

#55 Post by Stickyfingers » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 am

A man going 60 attempting to entertains teen kids is just ridicoulous.

elbuitre wrote: It's like two completely different people.
Perry thinks any music is ok, how he can understand when some music out is just crap.

Not just two people, a multiple personality disorder taste in music.... :waits:

Artemis

#56 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:40 am

Seems like Perry was just trying to cash in on the EDM popularity, but obviously failed. Other older performers, like Madonna, have tried this and been more successful at it, I think. Like her or not, she has always been on top of the wave of new dance music trends and hired the people who can actually help her.

bman

#57 Post by bman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:11 am

Stickyfingers wrote:A man going 60 attempting to entertains teen kids is just ridicoulous.

elbuitre wrote: It's like two completely different people.
Perry thinks any music is ok, how he can understand when some music out is just crap.

Not just two people, a multiple personality disorder taste in music.... :waits:

So so sad. Remember when Perry was still a weird/hippy trippy dude. SYTBS took forever to make but it was still a pretty cool record. Perry had a lot of ideas back then. This new stuff he does with Etty is so fucked up I just have to ignore it. That's not Perry Farrell in that video!

kv

#58 Post by kv » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 am

SYTBS is when I first went "uh oh"

bman

#59 Post by bman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 am

Admit I and Shekeina are great songs.

Japhy

#60 Post by Japhy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:39 am

Yeah i liked SYTBS a lot... a couple of the demo's were even better than what ended up on record. I get what KV means with the "uh-oh" because i was a bit like that too... more around some of the interviews he was doing at the time though.

All this recent stuff, EDM or whatever we're calling it... fucking hell, no way... what an absolute volcano of shit.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#61 Post by Hokahey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 pm

kv wrote:SYTBS is when I first went "uh oh"
For me that was the song "Rev."

SYTBS was a good record. Could have been great if he wasn't writing about stupid shit. At least it was less stupid than what he writes about now.

Everybody's Friend

#62 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:10 pm

hokahey wrote:

SYTBS was a good record. Could have been great if he wasn't writing about stupid shit. At least it was less stupid than what he writes about now.
Rev was a little concerning, but the drums and bass "Whole Lotta Love" was baaaaad. That disk was where I first heard Ripple, though, so I that made up for it. :bigrin:

Hype

#63 Post by Hype » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Japhy wrote:Yeah i liked SYTBS a lot... a couple of the demo's were even better than what ended up on record. I get what KV means with the "uh-oh" because i was a bit like that too... more around some of the interviews he was doing at the time though.

All this recent stuff, EDM or whatever we're calling it... fucking hell, no way... what an absolute volcano of shit.
This isn't recent. When SYTBS came out, there was a Perry Farrell website (not teeth.net or whatever) that had REALLY shitty flash videos with electronic "beats"... Perry was clearly very into this shit even back then, before EDM was considered a popular thing (back when "raves" and "house music" were what kids with baggy orange pants went to but everyone else thought was shitty).

Squee

#64 Post by Squee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Everybody's Friend wrote:
hokahey wrote:

Rev was a little concerning, but the drums and bass "Whole Lotta Love" was baaaaad. That disk was where I first heard Ripple, though, so I that made up for it. :bigrin:
ahhh Perry's cover of Ripple holds a special place in my heart- :heart: I listened to this song over and over for months as I sang and danced in the kitchen while pregnant with my little one. It was the song she recognized after birth and would immediately quiet down while I danced with her on my shoulder during her meltdowns and sleepless nights as an infant.
" Would you hear my voice come through the music - Would you hold it near as it were your own?"
She actually would calm down with some SYTBS tracks as well- but not quite as magical as Ripple was.

I wouldn't torture a fetus with this crap he is putting out with Etty in a million years! :essence:

Jasper

#65 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 pm

Squee wrote:ahhh Perry's cover of Ripple holds a special place in my heart- :heart: I listened to this song over and over for months as I sang and danced in the kitchen while pregnant with my little one. It was the song she recognized after birth and would immediately quiet down while I danced with her on my shoulder during her meltdowns and sleepless nights as an infant.
" Would you hear my voice come through the music - Would you hold it near as it were your own?"
She actually would calm down with some SYTBS tracks as well- but not quite as magical as Ripple was.
Just in case there's some confusion, Ripple was recorded by Jane's 1.0 before they broke up, not long after RDLH was recorded. It came out back then on a Grateful Dead tribute album, Deadicated, while Jane's was still a living, breathing touring entity. The various artists wrote about their contributions to the album in the liner notes, and the Jane's contribution was written by Eric Avery. If I'm not mistaken, Ripple is the last Jane's 1.0 studio recording. It was later included on Perry's contractually obligated Rev album. Interestingly, the rhythm for the recording is actually taken from the Dead's "The Other One" (which is also the basis for the short reprise and fade-out at the end), and there are also interpolations from the Dead's "Bird Song" in the latter portion. It's like a cover of more than one song at the same time.

I know this has been said before, but it's interesting, so it bears repeating.

Squee

#66 Post by Squee » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Jasper wrote:
Squee wrote:ahhh Perry's cover of Ripple holds a special place in my heart- :heart: I listened to this song over and over for months as I sang and danced in the kitchen while pregnant with my little one. It was the song she recognized after birth and would immediately quiet down while I danced with her on my shoulder during her meltdowns and sleepless nights as an infant.
Just in case there's some confusion, Ripple was recorded by Jane's 1.0 before they broke up, not long after RDLH was recorded. It came out back then on a Grateful Dead tribute album, Deadicated, while Jane's was still a living, breathing touring entity. The various artists wrote about their contributions to the album in the liner notes, and the Jane's contribution was written by Eric Avery. If I'm not mistaken, Ripple is the last Jane's 1.0 studio recording. It was later included on Perry's contractually obligated Rev album. Interestingly, the rhythm for the recording is actually taken from the Dead's "The Other One" (which is also the basis for the short reprise and fade-out at the end), and there are also interpolations from the Dead's "Bird Song" in the latter portion. It's like a cover of more than one song at the same time.

I know this has been said before, but it's interesting, so it bears repeating.
yes- JA cover- not Perry solo cover- sadly I never had a copy of Deadicated - so Rev was the first personal copy I had of the song. I was just happy to have it finally when Rev came out!

JOEinPHX

#67 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 pm

hokahey wrote:

Taking away that he writes so many songs about Etty, much of the topics on TGEA and Strays weren't bad. They were simply approached as a guy writing lyrics for songs, instead of from a poetry/artistic perspective.

The guy can still write a melody, but the lyrics he writes are balls deep in a loose asshole because he's a fucking megamillionaire music legend who has no concept of the world he lives in anymore, and who hasn't met a real artist in 20 years because he's too busy rubbing elbows with famous people at Hollywood events.

If Lollapalooza never existed, and Jane's never made it out of small theaters, Etty never would have come calling and Jane's probably would have put out 3-4 reasonably decent albums post-NS/RDLH.

Japhy

#68 Post by Japhy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:26 am

Hype wrote:
Japhy wrote:Yeah i liked SYTBS a lot... a couple of the demo's were even better than what ended up on record. I get what KV means with the "uh-oh" because i was a bit like that too... more around some of the interviews he was doing at the time though.

This isn't recent. When SYTBS came out, there was a Perry Farrell website (not teeth.net or whatever) that had REALLY shitty flash videos with electronic "beats"... Perry was clearly very into this shit even back then, before EDM was considered a popular thing (back when "raves" and "house music" were what kids with baggy orange pants went to but everyone else thought was shitty).
Oh yeah I know Hype. Wasn't that site simply perryfarrell.net? My memory is crap but i thought those beats were just alternate takes from songs on the record, not entirely different things - like I said though, can't entirely recall so you're more than likely right. Surely not on a par with this shit he's doing now though?

Hype

#69 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:42 am

Japhy wrote:
Hype wrote:

Oh yeah I know Hype. Wasn't that site simply perryfarrell.net? My memory is crap but i thought those beats were just alternate takes from songs on the record, not entirely different things - like I said though, can't entirely recall so you're more than likely right. Surely not on a par with this shit he's doing now though?
Yeah, the one I recall may have been a version of the beat from King Z... but they weren't exactly demos or outtakes in the proper sense. It was just the beat from the song repeated, or a version of it.

I really like some of the songs on SYTBS because they're interesting, different, but melodically and lyrically they work. Unfortunately, there were only maybe fifteen people on the planet who also like them. The thing about the EDM stuff is that it's for teens/tweens -- a totally different generation, and they don't care who the person is as long as they like the beats, so Perry can play these shows with "friends" where 60,000 people show up instead of trying in vain to fill a 2500 seat theater as a solo nostalgia act. I can't fault him for realizing that to make money he'd have to change what he does because he's just not talented enough vocally or creatively to maintain a career like the few rock legends who have managed it; even David Bowie's last decade and a half or so has sucked.

Matz

#70 Post by Matz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 am

Bowie's declined yes but he has and never will suck on the level of PF. Not even close. In fact he just released a bit of song for a tv show or something that sounds great. Not at all bad for a 69 year old or something like that

Hype

#71 Post by Hype » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:13 am

Point wasn't that he sucks anywhere near as bad as PF... just that there are like... 5 musicians ever who have managed to continue releasing incredible music consistently into old age... and neither Perry nor Bowie are in that category. The difference is that Perry is still *trying* to be relevant and make money, rather than just being an artist. Of course that would probably still suck, but at least it would be like Bowie.

Matz

#72 Post by Matz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 am

right, we agree

elbuitre

#73 Post by elbuitre » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Isn't EDM just electronic dance music, as opposed to a genre?

If so, it was huge throughout the nineties, long before SYTBS came out.

guysmiley

#74 Post by guysmiley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:48 pm

elbuitre wrote:Isn't EDM just electronic dance music, as opposed to a genre?

If so, it was huge throughout the nineties, long before SYTBS came out.
yeah.. your right, but "bands" got a hold of it and thought it was a new sound, and made the shitty music we always though someone could. Honestly it makes shitty pop 80's music sound amazing. I think our role models suck dick. I may have hit the age of being old. I remember last month visiting the States, and hearing the old "alternative rock" station I used to listen to. First song was Nirvana, next was some dance shit. All I could think was, " don't lump me into you're shitty culture". Let's keep this crap separate. Someday we'll hit minimal(max) attention span.

ZOINK

#75 Post by ZOINK » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I think it's these selfish-fuck Millennials. I'm a Gen X'er. I really don't give a shit about that pop-culture stuff but don't clump me in with the Millennials. This is what happens when every child gets a trophy for participating, kids get "diagnosed" and over medicated, parents buy their kids whatever they want, kids grow up on tablets, computers, and Play Station/X Box, and just basically never get told "no" or "wait." These kids don't give a shit about anything that isn't on the 6" screen in front of their faces. Have you tried to go to a concert with these fucks? I was at a summer festival and waited for my spot 45 minutes prior to Band of Horses coming on stage. I enjoyed about 20 minutes of the show, then this asshole walks directly in front of me. The next thing I know, he is waving his other 6 friends over to stand directly in front of me and talk about this shitty rapper that's coming on the stage next. If I were younger, I would have beat the shit out of these assholes. They have horrible taste in music. It's all electronic button-pushers or rappers just saying, "molly, weed, sex." It's like they are just popping pills and only care about having some kind of background music to have a conversation over.
I come from hippy parents. It wasn't this baby-your-child up until adulthood shit. The Millennials are like that movie "Idiocracy." I cannot stand these self-centered fucks.