Perry and Dave Ritual Track by Track Commentary

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Perry and Dave Ritual Track by Track Commentary

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:14 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... k-20150820

Some legitimate revelations in this. Very cool.

tvrec

Re: Perry and Dave Ritual Track by Track Commentary

#2 Post by tvrec » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks for drawing our attention to this article. It was the most straightforward & honest I have heard Perry be in years.

Larry B.

#3 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Really cool article, but Perry is still full of shit. It's sad that he has to lie all the time and that apparently he doesn't even notices it. Navarro is awesome.

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:23 pm

I loved reading this. How great is it to be to be turning 25?! Hopefully more publications will be running more interviews and articles on this incredible album. I don't mind Perry talking about this, because he has to talk about it as it was then. If he goes off on one, so be it. Let's face it, everyone on here is only really interested in anything pre-91 Janes.

I know some on here prefer NS, but let's be happy we're starting to get a Ritual overload. :cool:

Noonesshocking

#5 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:32 pm

I love it when Dave talks songwriting shop. I like how perry expanded on the subject matter as well.

Also.... Xiola was Perry's COUSIN? :confused:

what a twist

kv

#6 Post by kv » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Can't really go with "she was my under age lover"

MYXYLPLYX

#7 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:46 pm

kv wrote:Can't really go with "she was my under age lover"

Jerry Lee Lewis did both?

:noclue:

nausearockpig

#8 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 pm

the Perry part of the article is classic Perry.. just say whatever comes into your head - no one's gonna know otherwise right???

The Dave part was a good and interesting read.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:07 pm

"Farrell: There's a cat that I wrote a lot of songs about, and I'm not going to say his name, because I don't want him to ever know — but I have had struggles with this cat for most of my adult life. "Obvious" was written about him. This guy is always criticizing me; there's always something wrong that I'm doing. But to me, this guy is a very obvious person — everything he does, I can see where he's coming from. And I always keep him at a distance, because he's always going to try to bring me down. He thinks he knows me, but he doesn't. What I'm saying in this song is, "I'm not going to allow you to know me, because you would abuse my heart if I were allow you to truly know me. But I know you, because I study you."
Eric?

kv

#10 Post by kv » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:12 pm

Could be

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm

"Farrell: I wrote it about Casey, my girlfriend at the time, but I really wrote it about classic girls."
My wife is listening, so I better say this is about multiple girls and not just the one I actually wrote it about, who I also filmed our wedding as the music video.

Don't worry Perry, I doubt she's ever seen it.

nausearockpig

#12 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
"Farrell: There's a cat that I wrote a lot of songs about, and I'm not going to say his name, because I don't want him to ever know — but I have had struggles with this cat for most of my adult life. "Obvious" was written about him. This guy is always criticizing me; there's always something wrong that I'm doing. But to me, this guy is a very obvious person — everything he does, I can see where he's coming from. And I always keep him at a distance, because he's always going to try to bring me down. He thinks he knows me, but he doesn't. What I'm saying in this song is, "I'm not going to allow you to know me, because you would abuse my heart if I were allow you to truly know me. But I know you, because I study you."
Eric?
isn't that a bit obvious though? too close to home...

So Mr. Obvious doesn't know Perry at all, but Perry studies and knows him?

bman

#13 Post by bman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:29 pm

I think Perry's sister is names Stacie....not Paulette. So maybe Perry used a different name in the interview or someone wrote it down wrong!

Everyone always talks about the Janes influences. For me, the Janes sound came directly from Joy Division and Bauhaus. In fact, Psi Com sounds exactly like Bauhaus. Perry's vocal stylings were definitely influenced by that music.

Happy Bday to the day Ritual. The 25th anniversary of the infamous Mt Baldy show came and went too.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:32 pm

A shame perrys og teeth aren't around to celebrate with us on this day...who owns them now bman you or drifter?

bman

#15 Post by bman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 pm

kv wrote:A shame perrys og teeth aren't around to celebrate with us on this day...who owns them now bman you or drifter?
Lol!

creep
Site Admin

#16 Post by creep » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:54 pm

that was a cool article. like someone else said perry was somewhat coherent and dave had a lot of interesting stuff to add. too bad eric didn't do this too.

trevor ayer

#17 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Def eric ... This was confirmed decades ago ... Sdw has the story me thinks

Etty def wrote perrys response to classic girl .. Poor guy

Agreed on joy division ... Everything about erics goth lines .. And psicom

Great interview ... Nice to hear that perry remembers those cool stories and how he used to write about real stuff ...bmaybe he will remember who he is again ...prolly not

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:21 pm

trevor ayer wrote:Def eric ... This was confirmed decades ago ... Sdw has the story me thinks

http://somediverswhistle.com/songs/obvious.html
I heard this story... A guy was driving home from a Jane's show and he noticed Perry hitchhiking (or maybe it was the other way around..? I can't remember) Anyway... the guy and Perry hit it off and were talking about this and that, and the guy asked Perry what was up with the song "Obvious." Perry laughed and said it was an inside joke on Eric Avery.
I once asked Casey if this was true and she replied, "yes 'obvious' was about eric. boy you guys really manage to figure out everything don't you, i don't even think eric knew it was about him!"

intertwoven

#19 Post by intertwoven » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 pm

creep wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:Def eric ... This was confirmed decades ago ... Sdw has the story me thinks

http://somediverswhistle.com/songs/obvious.html
I heard this story... A guy was driving home from a Jane's show and he noticed Perry hitchhiking (or maybe it was the other way around..? I can't remember) Anyway... the guy and Perry hit it off and were talking about this and that, and the guy asked Perry what was up with the song "Obvious." Perry laughed and said it was an inside joke on Eric Avery.
I once asked Casey if this was true and she replied, "yes 'obvious' was about eric. boy you guys really manage to figure out everything don't you, i don't even think eric knew it was about him!"
Yep, the hitchhiking story was shared on the "janes digest" years back, and that quote from Casey is a direct copy & paste from an email.

tubro

#20 Post by tubro » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:01 pm

This made me look forward to when the RDLH show comes thru my little town, particularly to hear then she did and no one's leaving, both of which have a nyc thing to them.
there's enough in the world to bash perry about, as evidenced by what goes on around here. this interview isn't that though. it's two guys riffing about their memories of something that came out 25 years ago today and remains great and fresh and a testament to why this band was so great. funny about eric not playing on of course. i think i only saw them play that once and i don't recall what eric was doing. i definitely recall morgan and perry just fucking wailing on it.

perry and eric should suck it up and play together a bit on this upcoming touring cycle. even if it's just a couple of songs at the LA shows. as ray davies said, 'the past is gone it's all been said'. neither of them are likely to ever do anything as important as what they did making that record. they deserve to revel in it a little. of course, if perry uses every interview to shit on eric (without mentioning his name), then eric will probably do another interview with a fan site owner that'll be seen by tens of people, and that'll be that.

nausearockpig

#21 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:13 pm

tubro wrote:This made me look forward to when the RDLH show comes thru my little town, particularly to hear then she did and no one's leaving, both of which have a nyc thing to them.
there's enough in the world to bash perry about, as evidenced by what goes on around here. this interview isn't that though. it's two guys riffing about their memories of something that came out 25 years ago today and remains great and fresh and a testament to why this band was so great. funny about eric not playing on of course. i think i only saw them play that once and i don't recall what eric was doing. i definitely recall morgan and perry just fucking wailing on it.

perry and eric should suck it up and play together a bit on this upcoming touring cycle. even if it's just a couple of songs at the LA shows. as ray davies said, 'the past is gone it's all been said'. neither of them are likely to ever do anything as important as what they did making that record. they deserve to revel in it a little. of course, if perry uses every interview to shit on eric (without mentioning his name), then eric will probably do another interview with a fan site owner that'll be seen by tens of people, and that'll be that.
Well said.

Stickyfingers

#22 Post by Stickyfingers » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:32 pm

Janes is the Frankenstein of music...
Zeppelin, Joy Division, Raggae, Bauhaus, metal, worldmusic....

"Good artists copy but great artists steal"

Classic Girl intro is exactly same of Bauhaus Hope intro, Ocean Size intro is exactly I'm Glad intro of The Cream...
the basic structure of those songs were ready, Navarro join the band and copy-paste some intro and solo from Bauhaus/Cream/Van Halen, and voilà.... ask 25% of the songs publishing... :lolol:

money for nothing and chicks for free....

nothing new under the sun, just another chapter of the R'nR swindle story, since Chuck Berry punched Keith Richards in the face for stole his guitar riffs....

Bandit72

#23 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:32 am

Stickyfingers wrote:Janes is the Frankenstein of music...

Classic Girl intro is exactly same of Bauhaus Hope intro, Ocean Size intro is exactly I'm Glad intro of The Cream...
the basic structure of those songs were ready, Navarro join the band and copy-paste some intro and solo from Bauhaus/Cream/Van Halen, and voilà.... ask 25% of the songs publishing... :lolol:

nothing new under the sun, just another chapter of the R'nR swindle story, since Chuck Berry punched Keith Richards in the face for stole his guitar riffs....
Errrrr, it's called evolotion of music? Happens all the time. AMAZINGLY enough, evolution happens all the time! You'll also find it in that phone you have on you right now. Art, photography, cooking, baking, animals, humans, plants. Unless you don't believe in fact, of course.

SR

#24 Post by SR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 am

Interesting read. Pf' comments on obvious seem spot on if only reverrsed. I think Eric knew exactly who perry was and perry knew very little of eric

Hype

#25 Post by Hype » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:44 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Stickyfingers wrote:Janes is the Frankenstein of music...

Errrrr, it's called evolotion of music? Happens all the time. AMAZINGLY enough, evolution happens all the time! You'll also find it in that phone you have on you right now. Art, photography, cooking, baking, animals, humans, plants. Unless you don't believe in fact, of course.
I love Bauhaus, and it's obvious that Classic Girl rips the Hope riff off, but Classic GIrl isn't really about the guitar. It's about Perry's singing and the story he tells.

I've never understood why people think Dave Navarro or the guitar parts of the songs are that important for Jane's' sound. We've all now heard what happens when you give the guitar a more central focus in the songs and drop the unique vocals and lyrics... you have Jane's Addiction in name only.

I also agree that the prettiest thing Dave ever played is Then She Did.. but it's not the most important part of even that song. Dave's always been pretty open about the fact that Jane's was about Perry and the rhythm and he was free to just fill things in and do odd shit like play with a vibrator.