New Dave Jerden Interview - Talks Jane's

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hype

Re: New Dave Jerden Interview - Talks Jane's

#21 Post by Hype » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 am

That's a pretty solid analysis. A lot of this was well understood even before the 2001/2003 reunions. The release of Kettle Whistle suggested that something integral was missing, even if those Relapse shows were special (because Perry was still young and weird and high enough to be interesting, and the others still had energy).

I think the suggestion that the early drop-off in songwriting wasn't burnout is probably only half-true. There was an old story about taking time off before returning to Ritual in the hopes that it would work, but that this turned out to be too optimistic. There were also old stories about the drugs playing a huge role in the failure to maintain the band. I suspect if the whole band had been drug-free around 88-89, EA *might* have been able to push them all to write another album of pretty good material (and parts of Ritual would have hung together better... as much as I love it). But this just wasn't to be.

Romeo

#22 Post by Romeo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:33 am

panicparty wrote:
Good to see people finally clueing in on how much of janes was avery
Is this new? I thought that was the standard narrative on Jane's?

You see, where I have some respect for Perry (and to some extent Dave and Steve) is that they were taking a big risk with their artistic credibility when Eric rejoined the band.

There's been, from my limited reading, three main schools of thought on the greatness of Jane's

1) It was mainly Perry
2) It was mainly down to Eric
3) it was Perry and Eric when they still liked each other and could sit down together and write

with a general consensus that Dave and Perk weren't crucial to the songwriting, but certainly brought some magic to live proceedings.

Perry has spent the last 25 years telling world it was (1).

So around the time of the NME show, it looks like this:

Perry's latest project (sp) has bombed completely, the band fell apart mid-tour and on youtube now it's like watching Spinal Tap - some bigger, confident, shows at the start, then by the end it's bad Karaoke Jane's in half empty bars.

Dave's still remembered as much as a "failed Chilli Pepper" as the Jane's guy. His (along with Perk and Chaney) last project (TPC) has bombed at least as badly as satellite party and the only gig they can get is as support act for a made-up-for-reality-tv group that was never going anywhere.

The last Jane's thing (Strays), and the only album without Eric, while it hasn't tanked by the standards of TGEA, has hardly set the world on fire and could legitimately be thought of as a disappointment.

So, at this point Eric rejoins the band, as the only person with nothing to lose reputation wise, having not done anything of any real note since Jane's.

If Jane's fails to set the world alight, no change on 2003.

If, on the other hand, Jane's comes back like the Chilli's did when Fru rejoined, and they go on to be even more successful than first time around, everyone points to the change, the one thing that's different from the Strays era: Eric. The story becomes that Perry (and Dave) can't do it without Eric.... and furthermore it answers for everyone, that original question about where the greatness of Jane's came from: it was Eric.

While I'm on the subject (sorry to go on) I also thought it was fairly courageous of Perry and the others the way they were explicit about their songwriting deficit when it came to do TGEA - they were pretty upfront when Eric left that they needed, not just someone who could play the bass guitar (Dave coulda done that, or they could have hired Chaney) but someone who could come in and song-write. First it was Duff, then when that didn't work out, they got that other bloke in. Given the egos and pride involved, it must have taken something for those guys to effectively 'fess up that as a three-piece they didn't have it in them to write an album?

One more thing, on that time line where the vast bulk of the classic era Jane's material was written in the first year, year and a half - rather than it being because they'd burned up all their talent and their best riffs early, or that they changed focus to their live shows, I thought it was simply that Eric and Perry had fallen out (over a girl?) and effectively the songwriting partnership ended when the friendship did?
:nod:

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:10 pm

panicparty wrote:(TPC) has bombed at least as badly as satellite party and the only gig they can get is as support act for a made-up-for-reality-tv group that was never going anywhere.
Spot on except for this part

TPC actually did their own headline tour in the summer of 2006

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/panic-channel/2006/

Opening for Rockstar Supernova didn't occur until the winter of 2007.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/panic-channel/2007/

They were more successful than Satellite Party by far, and never once piggybacked off their legacies by playing any Jane's songs.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
They were more successful than Satellite Party by far
i doubt that

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:05 pm

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
They were more successful than Satellite Party by far
i doubt that

----------------------------------------------------------------
Album sales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Panic_Channel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Payloaded

August 15, 2006 (ONe) Capitol Records U.S. album-chart position 110 U.S. sales 10,000
May 29, 2007 Ultra Payloaded Columbia Records U.S. album-chart position 91 U.S. sales 8,000

Looks like TPC won that one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Band Members:

Satellite Party:

Band members

Perry Farrell – lead vocals (2004–2008)
Carl Restivo – bass, guitar (2007–2008)
Etty Lau Farrell - backing vocals (2004–2008)
Nuno Bettencourt - guitar (2004–2007)
Kevin Figueiredo - drums (2005–2007)

Live members

Nick Perri - guitar (2007)
Jordan Plosky - drums (2007)
Jenny Galt - keyboards (2007)
Tony Kanal - bass (2005)
Steve Ferlazzo - keyboards (2005)

The Panic Channel

Band members

Steve Isaacs – lead vocals, rhythm guitar (2004–2007)
Dave Navarro – lead guitar (2004–2007)
Stephen Perkins – drums (2004–2007)
Chris Chaney - bass (2004–2007)
Siggy Sjursen – bass (2007)

Looks like TPC had less people quit or get fired. Gonna give this one to TPC as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shows:

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/satellite-party/
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/panic-channel/

Satellite Party: 104 booked, 15 canceled - Percentage of shows canceled 14.4%
The Panic Channel: 61 Booked, 7 canceled - Percentage of shows canceled 11.4%

TPC booked less shows, but didn't have to cancel as many due to low sales

The Panic Channel wins again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percentage of shows where Satellite Party played no Jane's Addiction songs: 0%
Percentage of shows where The Panic Channel played no Jane's Addiction songs: 100%

The Panic Channel wins again.

TPC, 4/4
SP: 0/4

:rockon:

someguy

#26 Post by someguy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:04 pm

panicparty wrote:

If, on the other hand, Jane's comes back like the Chilli's did when Fru rejoined, and they go on to be even more successful than first time around, everyone points to the change, the one thing that's different from the Strays era: Eric. The story becomes that Perry (and Dave) can't do it without Eric.... and furthermore it answers for everyone, that original question about where the greatness of Jane's came from: it was Eric.
I had this same thought when Eric rejoined, and optimistically saw some parallels to frusciante coming back. Really thought all those misfires would be swept under the rug with new material.

Also didn't Dave write a bunch of ritual?

guysmiley

#27 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't understand why anyone would care about the slim differences between SP and PC. Both sucked almost equally. :noclue:

intertwoven

#28 Post by intertwoven » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:59 pm

I hate to defend Perry these days, but ignoring the album cover and the uneven live shows, Ultra Payloaded had a few decent songs on it. Gun to my head I couldn't hum a single Panic Channel song for you. I'm sure as a band they were more organic, with more integrity and all that, but they couldn't put together any decent songs, sadly.

Pillar Girl

#29 Post by Pillar Girl » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:00 pm

great read by everyone, really have enjoyed everyone's perceptions and ideas about the creative lineage,
I would imagine if getting the real information from the horses mouth, mainly the 4 members of Jane's 1.0
would be enough, but I would also gather their stories would be different, due to ego and whatever past drug
use that has altered their memories.

We probably will never know the real truth, none of us were there, and the rest is just reflection and basis
of past gigs with lineups, and snippets of quotes from managers, producers and girlfriends. This is why I was hoping
when Sonny interviewed Eric all those years back, he would also venture into the very early days of their writing
process, with who was credited for what material. a song by song basis, as you have to view each work of art just
as we would a painting or sculpture on its own merit, when and where it was conceived.

For me personally, Eric's bass line's still resonate as the backbone of everything Jane's Addiction was ever to be,
and it did resonate with millions of other fans as well, and maybe, just maybe someday, we'll get the real truth on
the song writing process of who did what, but if not, I'm fine with that as well, the music is still vibrant and rocking.

kv

#30 Post by kv » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 pm

wow how have you been? haven't seen you post in ages

Pillar Girl

#31 Post by Pillar Girl » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 am

kv wrote:wow how have you been? haven't seen you post in ages
life, college, relationships have massed my time, tho I check in here every month or so to see the news of JA,
glad to see old faces are still around.

- have a rocking summer all

kv

#32 Post by kv » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:09 am

cheers

Xizen47

#33 Post by Xizen47 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:55 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
They were more successful than Satellite Party by far.
:lol: 2,000 more albums sold and 8 less cancelled shows = by far?

Reminds of when Courtney Love says that Hole was "bigger" than Nirvana in the beginning... Yeah Courtney, cause you had sold 50 albums when Nirvana was at 10 :crazy:

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:50 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
They were more successful than Satellite Party by far.
:lol: 2,000 more albums sold and 8 less cancelled shows = by far?

Reminds of when Courtney Love says that Hole was "bigger" than Nirvana in the beginning... Yeah Courtney, cause you had sold 50 albums when Nirvana was at 10 :crazy:
Again, TPC never once resorted to milking Jane's legacy to get attention.

They never had to write "Dave Navarro's Panic Channel" on their record.

They never went to radio stations with free tickets to give away for their show that evening because otherwise no one would have been there. Perry did a whole radio station junket for SP because no one cared.

Satellite Party was Perry's desperate attempt to prove he was still relevant. And it turned out he wasn't.

TPC just played music because they enjoyed playing music. Everything about it was more genuine. So yeah, their attempts to play music for music's sake was far more successful than Perry's attempt to milk his own name and the Jane's Addiction legacy to make people care about his new band.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:03 pm

TPC just played music because they enjoyed playing music. Everything about it was more genuine. So yeah, their attempts to play music for music's sake was far more successful than Perry's attempt to milk his own name and the Jane's Addiction legacy to make people care about his new band.
Sorry, but this is bullshit. TPC wanted to be a major rock band. Their aspirations were to be mega stars and they purposefully created radio friendly shlock and hired a singer because they liked his image. NOTHING about what they were doing was genuine. I talked to a lot of people close to them leading up to that record, and they were all about being mega stars, which they knew they could do with a more "everyman" type singer. That entire band, from their shitty logo to their shitty singer was contrived.

SP was shit, but Perry was legitimately trying to make art, not be an arena rock band. His art sucked, and ge got desperate when it failed, but don't get confused about who was trying to do what.

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Made by SP's frontman in Photoshop
genuine art

Made by TPC's frontman who happens to be a professional graphic and media designer:
NOT ART

Got it.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:19 pm

You guys, seriously, stop trying to make Perry Farrell happen. It's never going to happen.

intertwoven

#38 Post by intertwoven » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 pm

This is like a couple of middle schoolers fighting over whose farts smell the best.

Noonesshocking

#39 Post by Noonesshocking » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

On the subject of Panic Channel, this song is so utterly confusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG0y_dObBqw

It sounds like THE MOST generic early aughts VH1 top twenty tune "modern rock" tune... but with a shoegazy vaguely cure-y guitar line. Too weird.

JOEinPHX

#40 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Agreed.

Why Cry was terrible.

Go On was way better and unfortunately got relegated to be a Bside.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:27 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Made by SP's frontman in Photoshop
genuine art

Made by TPC's frontman who happens to be a professional graphic and media designer:
NOT ART

Got it.

You are confused. Art can be genuine and bad. The funny thing is, you made my point even clearer.

Perry's art was bad, but he was putting his heart in to it. TPC and their ridiculous logo was made by a professional graphic designer. He made something that would sell. Something kids would buy on tshirts

You couldn't be more wrong about what you thought that band was up to. I can say this with 100% confidence.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:35 am

The Panic Channel symbol is Dave's head. :drink:

farrellgirl99

#43 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 am

TPC was the worst thing ever. They were embarrassingly poser-ish and the music was so generically bland. I was probably their target audience when they came out because I was a 14 year old girl, but even then I could see/hear how awful they were. I mean Steve Isaacs? Really? Not sure how anyone can defend TPC. They were made for Hot Topic.

Satellite Party wasn't good either, but those early snippets of songs like Milky Ave had potential and were way more interesting than anything TPC did.

But overall, Interwoven is right.

creep
Site Admin

#44 Post by creep » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:40 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:I was probably their target audience when they came out because I was a 14 year old girl
holy shit.....i had no idea that the panic channel was formed eleven years ago. just seems like yesterday.

i do miss the panic circles. :nod:

crater

#45 Post by crater » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:41 am

Image :jasper: