Does everyone remember the exact moment when...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Bandit72

Re: Does everyone remember the exact moment when...

#101 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 am

I spoke to Perry after the Wolves Civic Hall show in November 2003. I was very drunk and told him to not stop what he was doing (As in making music, nothing sexual) Which I'm glad in a way because Janes 1.0 came back, albeit very briefly. But even back then it was obvious he was obsessed with the attention. That gig had the worst set list ever too.

Everybody's Friend

#102 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 am

I thought this thread might bring Sonny out from hiding. I guess not. :wavesad:

Bandit72

#103 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Maybe he won the lottery? :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#104 Post by creep » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I spoke to Perry after the Wolves Civic Hall show in November 2003. I was very drunk and told him to not stop what he was doing
great...all of this is your fault.

Noonesshocking

#105 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I spoke to Perry after the Wolves Civic Hall show in November 2003. I was very drunk and told him to not stop what he was doing (As in making music, nothing sexual) Which I'm glad in a way because Janes 1.0 came back, albeit very briefly. But even back then it was obvious he was obsessed with the attention. That gig had the worst set list ever too.
Every now and then on the board, I hear that a handful of shows from the tail end of 2003 were really really good and had the true Jane's spirit. Can you provide any more description? Is there any audio or video? I'm curious because its such a flash in the pan and we don't seem to have much record of it.

kv

#106 Post by kv » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:42 pm

pretty sure anyone saying 03 was good is nuts

erotic cheeses

#107 Post by erotic cheeses » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Standing in the shower in Manchester was pretty awesome in 2003

Artemis

#108 Post by Artemis » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Funny to read this article again from Rolling Stone in 1991

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-19910919

"Musicians have a funny thing that follows them – their past,'' Farrell says backstage one afternoon. "An actor doesn't have to play the same roles over and over. An artist doesn't have to paint the same picture. I, if I stay in Jane's Addiction, will have to sing 'Mountain Song' or 'Jane Says' or 'Ocean Size' every night. To try to fit Jane's Addiction into what I want to do next is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.''

It's too bad he doesn't find Stephen Perkins's bold tribal drumming and Dave Navarro and Eric Avery's thundering guitar-bass crossfire malleable enough for his purposes. At the three Lollapalooza shows at Irvine Meadows, Jane's is in blistering form, rampaging through "Stop!'' and "Three Days'' as if the band had just stepped out of the garage. With his closely cropped hair, oversize red woolen suit and jittery, stick-figure dancing, Farrell looks even more extreme and dangerous than when he had braids and wore an S&M bodysuit – like a psycho-ward cross between Mr. Natural and Groucho Marx.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#109 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 pm

The late 2003 shows were outstanding. They were playing clubs for the first time in a long time, and the tension was palpable. Perry was getting fucked up and they were blasting through sets. It was the best Perry related show I had seen since P4P.

crater

#110 Post by crater » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 pm

hokahey wrote:The late 2003 shows were outstanding.
I saw one of the late 2003 shows. In fact, they only played 5 more after the one I saw before breaking up.

Besides the bizarre beginning of the show that had the band playing 90% of Stop before Perry even came out from the backstage area, the show was a paint by numbers boring mess that was over after only 9 songs, 5 of which were songs off of Strays that the audience that decided to stick around for Jane's didn't care about. Maybe it was because it was a radio show or maybe they were running up against a curfew (I don't recall getting out of there that late) but hearing just 9 songs was completely unacceptable.

Does this set list seem outstanding to you?

Stop!
True Nature
Been Caught Stealing
Strays
Just Because
Price I Pay
The Riches
Mountain Song
Ocean Size

I can't even begin to express just how much I hate the Offspring. Always have and always will, but even with the intense hatred I have for that band, I have to admit that they were so much better than Jane's were that night.

JOEinPHX

#111 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:35 pm

I saw The Offspring once. Back in like 99 or 2000. My buddy thought it was better than sitting around doing nothing. I went just because it was summer and they were playing some amphitheater. I figured at very least:

Summer + rock music under the stars + girls in very little clothing = good time

Offspring put on a surprisingly fun and energetic show that I haven't forgotten to this day. I sometimes forget just how many hits that band cranked out in the span of about 5 years.

I'll never say a bad thing about that band. They won me over that night, whereas before I had written them off as just another Green Day.

Mescal

#112 Post by Mescal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 pm

I saw Jane's Live in 2001 at Pukkelpop (festival show) and oktober 2003 at Paradiso (club show).

That club show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Really good, lots of energy, VERY enthusiastic crowd. Obviously I don't have 1991 or 1997 to compare it with (which I'm sure would have been better than 2003)

Bandit72

#113 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:14 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I spoke to Perry after the Wolves Civic Hall show in November 2003. I was very drunk and told him to not stop what he was doing (As in making music, nothing sexual) Which I'm glad in a way because Janes 1.0 came back, albeit very briefly. But even back then it was obvious he was obsessed with the attention. That gig had the worst set list ever too.
Every now and then on the board, I hear that a handful of shows from the tail end of 2003 were really really good and had the true Jane's spirit. Can you provide any more description? Is there any audio or video? I'm curious because its such a flash in the pan and we don't seem to have much record of it.

Up the Beach
Stop!
Ain't No Right
Been Caught Stealing
Ted, Just Admit It...
Everybody's Friend
Just Because (Acoustic)
True Nature
The Riches
Ocean Size
Mountain Song
Price I Pay
Jane Says

That was the set. Yes, there are 'some' classics there, but it was drab. Too quick, and I seem to remember it was a bit 'let's just play and move on'. Like I said the only redeeming thing is that I spoke to perry before he was accosted by about 8 females (??). I had a pretty good chat with Stephen who was standing with Chaney, on their own, lol. Dave was the last out and just basically climbed straight into the car, but he did sign my ticket, as did everyone else.

Bandit72

#114 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:50 am

To be honest I don't know what I was expecting from that gig. I was very happy I went as I'd not seen them in like 12 years. And I guess bands need to promote the new album. I've seen some great gigs at that venue and I thought Jane's were dissappointing. But then again, I was probably doing a comparison to the first time I'd seen them when I was at University. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#115 Post by Hokahey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:32 am

Cool. KC show in late 03 was best 2.0 show I saw. Beat the hell out of NINJA.

Japhy

#116 Post by Japhy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:10 am

I liked the '03 UK tour for what it's worth. Some little stand out moments like Shower @ Manchester and 1% @ the second London show. The first London show, Brixton, was on Halloween and had a great vibe to it... the only show they played Three Days too from memory. There was the flashmob in Covent Garden (I didn't make it, but cool set-list) and I recall a proper set of freaks being at the back for the Nottingham show. All in all, I have generally decent recollections of that tour.

Bandit72

#117 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:51 am

Japhy wrote:I liked the '03 UK tour for what it's worth. Some little stand out moments like Shower @ Manchester and 1% @ the second London show. The first London show, Brixton, was on Halloween and had a great vibe to it... the only show they played Three Days too from memory. There was the flashmob in Covent Garden (I didn't make it, but cool set-list) and I recall a proper set of freaks being at the back for the Nottingham show. All in all, I have generally decent recollections of that tour.
'Idiots Rule’
‘Suffer Some’
‘Had A Dad’
‘1%’
‘My Time’

Mescal

#118 Post by Mescal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am

It seems they were still having fun in 2003

SR

#119 Post by SR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am

Mine was just after sp. my awe of rdlh and especially ns made me believe for far too long that the collective genius on those albums couldn't be hidden forever. I was stoked with nuno who I still think is an amazing player. 1/2 the sp album made me dance. Pete's involvement encouraged me.

All in all it was cognitive dissonance for too many years. I view ns and rdlh as a perfect storm of luck at this point but am still grateful to have them

SR

#120 Post by SR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 am

First day off in 2 weeks. Sitting at a high end douche bag hotel/Condo pool which is part of the culture here....not my tribe, but I'm alone in the city and bored

Listening to cabinet.

This band was special. Thanks perk(who I hated in hs) for holding this chaos together. Just amazing intuition with the other nitwits. Thanks dn for just throwing down unrestricted solos and over the top power chords laced with Robert smith style atmospherics. Thank Eric for that looping, hypnotic rhythm and writing structure. And thanks pf for that indescribable thing you brought... And Casey too

guysmiley

#121 Post by guysmiley » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:25 am

Never saw they "My Time" Video before. That was cool. Man.....It's not like ost of us want to hate. I still deep down want things to be great again. But....

Hype

#122 Post by Hype » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:35 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Japhy wrote:I liked the '03 UK tour for what it's worth. Some little stand out moments like Shower @ Manchester and 1% @ the second London show. The first London show, Brixton, was on Halloween and had a great vibe to it... the only show they played Three Days too from memory. There was the flashmob in Covent Garden (I didn't make it, but cool set-list) and I recall a proper set of freaks being at the back for the Nottingham show. All in all, I have generally decent recollections of that tour.
'Idiots Rule’
‘Suffer Some’
‘Had A Dad’
‘1%’
‘My Time’

That My Time is terrible. It should be acoustic guitar. :neutral:

Larry B.

#123 Post by Larry B. » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 pm

That One Percent video reminded me of the time I saw it back then. The feeling I had was that sweet sensation you get when you are watching someone you consider an artist, a master of certain craft.

Today, they are just three guys who play their instruments for a living and one old mentally challenged egotistical piece of shit with a mic.

JOEinPHX

#124 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm

nausearockpig

#125 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Found this....