Does everyone remember the exact moment when...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Does everyone remember the exact moment when...

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:39 am

hokahey wrote:Cornell jumped the shark when he did that album with Timbaland.
Agreed.
Vedder did the same when they did a Target commercial
They didn't have a record deal. So they cut a deal that Target would be the physical seller of their album. Hardly a sellout move. They just put themselves in the position to make most of the profits rather than a record company.
and for charging obscene ticket prices on his solo tour (albeit both are somewhat understandable considering the state of the industry).
Pearl Jam has been charging 75 - 80 bucks a ticket for a good decade now. They play a 2.5 - 3 hour set though.

So if bands who play 90 minutes are charging 60, and they are charging 80 to play twice as long... it's actually quite reasonable.
There is no one cool left except maybe Zach De La Rocha. His track on the new Run the Jewels was fire.
I disagree.

Romeo

#42 Post by Romeo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:55 am

I do understand some business deals to sell music, like partnering with a retailer like Target. The music business ain't what it used to be so being creative is the only way to actually make money.

But shilling your band to say....coppertone, is to me selling out

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:10 pm

hokahey wrote: His track on the new Run the Jewels was fire.
:lol: is that what the kids say these days? i guess that means it was good?

blackula

#44 Post by blackula » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Romeo wrote:I do understand some business deals to sell music, like partnering with a retailer like Target. The music business ain't what it used to be so being creative is the only way to actually make money.

But shilling your band to say....coppertone, is to me selling out
I agree with business deals and I'll even say car commercials and Mountain Song for Coors light ain't bad either. Musicians should get paid. If it were Morissey selling a song for a McDonalds commercial or Neil Young selling a song to a Monsanto commercial I'd say sellout but if you're the Dead Boys and some car company will pay you for Sonic Reducer..awesome, I'm sure they've all driven a car before. I'm sure Perry's had a beer.

As far as ticket prices, I hate to say it, I agree with 67. I'm not a Pearl Jam fan, but a 2-3 hour show for 80 bucks is a fucking steal compared to NS + 3 songs for 125!

JOEinPHX

#45 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm

The last time I saw Pearl Jam they played for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

I paid 75 dollars for the ticket.

No one who is paying 60 bucks (or 125 bucks) for a Jane's Addiction ticket can tell me that is an expensive ticket.

Jane's Addiction would have to play 3 shows to play as long, and as many songs, and PJ did in one.

guysmiley

#46 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I guess I'm in a similar boat as most here. But I got into the band late. I was 20, young and impressionable. Jubilee was happening and not long after I learn Strays was coming out. I was just excited. The old stuff was still new to me. I tried to like that album. Actually, I like a few songs on it. But as the years rolled on, I never listened to it. I'm still nostalgic about that time, because it's when I discovered them. I was them at Lolla in 2003? I was just happy to see them for the first time. Now looking back, it was a completely different band than from the early days. I think there were signs Perry had a screw loose around that period. But, that's why I liked him at first.

Like many, I think the single moment that is burned in my mind the the Satellite Party cover. I thought it was someone's photoshop joke. I actually though one of their songs was ok, but most of what I heard wasn't great. Well, even Dave wasn't doing anything a cared too much about then either. That cover was a turning point. I never looked at Perry the same. All illusions of a great artist were gone. I still went to see them at NINJA and really enjoyed it. Again, maybe for the nostalgia, because Eric was back and I was excited again. The show I went to was great, and Perry actually toned down the embarrassing Libby outfits for my show. I was still taken by his stage presence. It's hard not to get star struck. After the Eric interview, so much made sense. I feel sad for the guy, but not too much. He's fucking rich and cashing in with his gold digger. I have no compassion for them. Well, I wish them no harm. I just won't see them again.

Funny. Chris Cornell did the same thing to me around the same time. That Timbaland was fucking awful. I tried so hard to listen to it. I couldn't make it through. I do think the new Soundgarden is quite good, but I think that has more to do with the other band members.

Pearl Jam? Yeah, there's still some integrity there. You get your moneys worth. No complaints there. They never broke up, so the change has been gradual. You can enjoy it if you wish.

kv

#47 Post by kv » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:55 pm

comparing to pearl jam is sorta silly...they never broke up, never lost anyone within their song writing core...and pearl jam makes boring fucking music (imho of course) plus since pearl jam never broke up they have way more output...mainly because they were a much bigger commercial success and have a huge following which means more money to make...it's like comparing DRI to black flag...

Romeo

#48 Post by Romeo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 am

kv wrote:comparing to pearl jam is sorta silly...they never broke up, never lost anyone within their song writing core...and pearl jam makes boring fucking music (imho of course) plus since pearl jam never broke up they have way more output...mainly because they were a much bigger commercial success and have a huge following which means more money to make...it's like comparing DRI to black flag...
I agree. I never like Pearl Jam either but they are the wrong band to compare to

bman

#49 Post by bman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:06 am

I saw Pearl Jam open up for the Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers at the Roseland in 91. Remember when good bands toured with eachother??
I was never a huge Pearl Jam fan and pretty gave up after Vitology(?) Pumpkins were my 2nd favorite band from 91-96. I quit on the them after Melancholy. Us Janes fans are spoiled. You guys should stop dogging on Perry. Have you ever seen the Pumpkins live? I have like 12 times and they are awful. Billy Corgans voice was terrible even back in the day. Jane's is a pro band and most nights they are still really good. Enjoy it while you can.

kv

#50 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:28 am

shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up shut the fuck up :nod:

Everybody's Friend

#51 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:43 am

bman wrote: Pumpkins were my 2nd favorite band from 91-96.... Have you ever seen the Pumpkins live? I have like 12 times and they are awful...
Saw them 12 times despite the fact they were awful....apparently this is a pattern with you that extends beyond Janes... :lol:

:banghead:

bman

#52 Post by bman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:19 am

:flip: :eyes:

Everybody's Friend

#53 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:39 am

I'm just saying I'm seeing a pattern...I'm sorry if you don't like it! :lol:

bman

#54 Post by bman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:52 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:I'm just saying I'm seeing a pattern...I'm sorry if you don't like it! :lol:
:wink: Your logic doesn't make sense. So you're saying Jane's is an awful live band?

Hype

#55 Post by Hype » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:32 am

:lol: EF, your thread made it to page 2. Can it make it past page 3?

mockbee

#56 Post by mockbee » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:45 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote::lol: EF, your thread made it to page 2. Can it make it past page 3?
I bet it does, especially with kv involved, jeez, he could give you a whole page with one post! Just make sure people stay adversarial and pissed and I bet this goes 10, but I am not going to help much with this. :tiphat:
(hype, you put a bunch of carriage returns at the end of your post....you secretly want to help him out....... :wink: )
responding to ef: okay. :wave:
Last edited by mockbee on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Everybody's Friend

#57 Post by Everybody's Friend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 am

mockbee wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote::lol: EF, your thread made it to page 2. Can it make it past page 3?
I bet it does, especially with kv involved, jeez, he could give you a whole page with one post. Just make sure people stay adversarial and pissed and I bet this goes 10, but I am not going to help much with this. :tiphat:
Get the hell out of my thread. Adversarial and pissed are the only good threads here. :agree:

JOEinPHX

#58 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:41 am

kv wrote:comparing to pearl jam is sorta silly...they never broke up, never lost anyone within their song writing core...and pearl jam makes boring fucking music (imho of course) plus since pearl jam never broke up they have way more output...mainly because they were a much bigger commercial success and have a huge following which means more money to make...it's like comparing DRI to black flag...
We're talking about ticket value.

Jane's Addiction has 5 albums and still plays 10 song sets. Explain to me how losing a member of the band means they can't play lengthy sets.

But sure. I'll bite and go right along with your need to compare to another band who took a similar path.

How about THE BLACK CROWES?

They lost key members multiple times (in fact it's only down to 2 of the original 5), Broke up multiple times for lengthy hiatuses, Not boring, Singer and guitar player fight all the time about musical direction, Singer's shitty side bands are 1/100th as good as the main band, Singer sings in a high vocal range (like Perry does), had only 2-3 commercial hits, and have a fanbase obsessed with bootleg collection.

That work for you? Almost the exact same situation. Good? Good.

They mix up the set list every single night. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Their singer gets so wacked out on shrooms the guy can barely function, but still remembers the words every night and hits the notes.

They have 7 albums. Is that 2 more than Jane's? Sure. But they also play cover songs in their set on top of their own originals. Which means Jane's could throw in a cover or 2 as well if they feel they don't have the original content for a longer show. But they don't. Could, but won't.

Here's the last show The Black Crowes played:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-black ... 47695.html

17 songs.

According to this Crowes bootleg site:

http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=2922

Show Length: 130 minutes

That's an entire hour longer than Jane's Addiction plays.

Did that comparison work for you? :flip:
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

JOEinPHX

#59 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:
bman wrote: Pumpkins were my 2nd favorite band from 91-96.... Have you ever seen the Pumpkins live? I have like 12 times and they are awful...
Saw them 12 times despite the fact they were awful....apparently this is a pattern with you that extends beyond Janes... :lol:

:banghead:

:lol:

kv

#60 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Sorry 67 doesn't work for me because you had to edit your post 3 times to get it right...here is a key point between the black crowes and janes now...janes sucks now..the end

Bandit72

#61 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Odds are slowly coming down for a 16 page thread. Trust me.

kv

#62 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:48 pm

We can do it

kv

#63 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Tgea is my fav janes record it optimizes what real janes music is all about...fuck Casey

Discuss

kv

#64 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:51 pm

I have two accounts on this site...kv and bman
Discuss

kv

#65 Post by kv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Etty is a warm hearted person the true soul of janes

Discuss