Ritual Performance

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Squee

Re: Ritual Performance

#251 Post by Squee » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Artemis wrote:
cricket_bows wrote:
I'm blanking on who can currently still bring it (any genre) after several years/decades, but there has to be.
I saw Robert Plant in September and he still sounds great.

Others who are in Perry's age group or older who still sound good (in my opinion)

Paul Weller
Bruce Springsteen
Madonna
Kate Bush
Dave Gahan(Depeche Mode)
Wayne Hussey(The Mission)
Gary Numan( he sounds better than ever! )
David Byrne
Robert Smith
Prince

That's all that comes to mind at the moment
I saw Robert Plant tour with both Alison Krause & then again with the Band of Joy in the past 4 years & I agree, he was on point.(and aging gracefully I might add)

I Will add to the list :

Ann Wilson (Heart- they were in town recently and rocked it)
Ozzy (Sabbath tour 2013 was epic/ he was hitting his cues and notes no problem)

bman

#252 Post by bman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Chiming in. To be fair, some of those early TGEA tour shows were good, and had good setlists, and even new songs! Perry was even into and smiling the whole time. The band even seemed to like eachother! Those shows at Irving plaza when tgea dropped were out of control. Then it fell apart towards the end and the Alice in Chains tour was a cash in. A few of the Shocking tour shows were great too. It seems like the last year thoughPerry has been totally out of it. The band doesn't communicate at all on stage anymore. It's obvious that Dave will only tour with his entourage, and Perry will only tour if Etty is a part of it. I almost accept all that. But what I fucking hate is that Perry claims to love Janes but its obvious he only shows up to collect some money. The first ever Ritual celebration looks like a fucking bore on youtube. Come on Fellas! Wake up!

JOEinPHX

#253 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:45 pm

bman wrote:Those shows at Irving plaza when tgea dropped were out of control.
Were they? Were they "out of control"? Do you seriously just lose your mind at how sweet they were, bro? :lol:
It's obvious that Dave will only tour with his entourage
You mean without the performance art group that performs as part of Jane's shows?

Do you think those girls can pierce themselves or something?

JOEinPHX

#254 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Lets:

1. Count how many times the "dancers" run their hands through their hair, or do a hair flip.
2. Figure out why the hell they added those "pew pew pew" raygun noises to the breakdown. (I mentioned this in my critique. Well, HERE THEY ARE. 3:00 minute mark)

creep
Site Admin

#255 Post by creep » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:02 pm

:noclue: i don't mind the keyboard sounds. it's something different. they guy has to do something.

JOEinPHX

#256 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:06 pm

There's a lot of 80s goth synthesizer sounds that would have been more appropriate.

I hear that and picture:

JOEinPHX

#257 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:09 pm

But seriously, anyone wanna play the "Jane's Addiction Dancer Hairflip Drinking Game"? :drink: :drink: :drink: :jasper:

creep
Site Admin

#258 Post by creep » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:17 pm

in the three minutes etty was on stage guess how many times she raised her arm or both arms over her head.

your guesses are:

a)0
b)1
c)42

the answer is that i counted 42 times.

Jasper

#259 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Squee wrote:
Artemis wrote:
cricket_bows wrote:
I'm blanking on who can currently still bring it (any genre) after several years/decades, but there has to be.
I saw Robert Plant in September and he still sounds great.

Others who are in Perry's age group or older who still sound good (in my opinion)

Paul Weller
Bruce Springsteen
Madonna
Kate Bush
Dave Gahan(Depeche Mode)
Wayne Hussey(The Mission)
Gary Numan( he sounds better than ever! )
David Byrne
Robert Smith
Prince

That's all that comes to mind at the moment
I saw Robert Plant tour with both Alison Krause & then again with the Band of Joy in the past 4 years & I agree, he was on point.(and aging gracefully I might add)

I Will add to the list :

Ann Wilson (Heart- they were in town recently and rocked it)
Ozzy (Sabbath tour 2013 was epic/ he was hitting his cues and notes no problem)
I don't think you can really compare any of these to the screaming banshee style of singing Perry engaged in. I'd never expect that it could last. Robert Plant is the closest, but he didn't really go anywhere near as far as Perry's really wild screaming. What Plant did do is a lot of really high notes, and he can't really do that anymore. The difference today is that Plant has more passion and focus, and his voice is not as tattered. I think Perry could do a lot better if he really cared, practiced, and got some professional voice help. Nevertheless, given what he did to his voice in his prime, I think he was never going to escape serious vocal damage.

Incidentally, from what I've seen of fairly recent Ozzy (which admittedly isn't much), he seems like he's almost constantly out of tune.

kv

#260 Post by kv » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:43 pm

agreed totally not fair the people named all have great vocal talent

bman

#261 Post by bman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
bman wrote:Those shows at Irving plaza when tgea dropped were out of control.
Were they? Were they "out of control"? Do you seriously just lose your mind at how sweet they were, bro? :lol:
It's obvious that Dave will only tour with his entourage
You mean without the performance art group that performs as part of Jane's shows?

Do you think those girls can pierce themselves or something?

I demand this guy has a mandatory two week Janes board hiatus!

kv

#262 Post by kv » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

he just needs like an afternoon in the park...soo much built up anger lol let it go!!!! hes some old shitty rocker ekking out the check for etty shoe money...leave him alone brah!

JOEinPHX

#263 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm not angry at all. I'm just talking about Jane's Addiction.

When they do something I like, I am certainly willing to admit it. I gave TGEA favorable reviews for the most part (except the Duff songs. I hate the Duff songs).

creep
Site Admin

#264 Post by creep » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:10 pm

jane's addiction 2015

:conf:

ImageImage

someguy

#265 Post by someguy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Not only is this terrible, it's also dull and boring. At this point, Jane's is a nice, steady safe job to have. They only have to tour from May to October, with scattered private events here and there. I guess this is how it's gonna be until the band ends for good.

Juana

#266 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm

I have a choice to make guys.. I have homie passes to next weekends FFF Fest and Wu-Tang and Jane's play at the same time. The better half has never seen Wu-Tang so I think that is where I will end up but for the sake of argument is there any reason I should subject her to this version of Jane's doing RdlH live?

kv

#267 Post by kv » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:26 pm

creep
Site Admin

#268 Post by creep » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Juana wrote:I have a choice to make guys.. I have homie passes to next weekends FFF Fest and Wu-Tang and Jane's play at the same time. The better half has never seen Wu-Tang so I think that is where I will end up but for the sake of argument is there any reason I should subject her to this version of Jane's doing RdlH live?
since it's rdlh go see jane's. if it was their regular show i wouldn't say that. have many drinks before the show and you will have a great time. :noclue:

Juana

#269 Post by Juana » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:49 pm

creep wrote:
Juana wrote:I have a choice to make guys.. I have homie passes to next weekends FFF Fest and Wu-Tang and Jane's play at the same time. The better half has never seen Wu-Tang so I think that is where I will end up but for the sake of argument is there any reason I should subject her to this version of Jane's doing RdlH live?
since it's rdlh go see jane's. if it was their regular show i wouldn't say that. have many drinks before the show and you will have a great time. :noclue:
Great thing about the homie passes is all the free Sailor Jerry's I want so maybe I will do that :rockon:

kv

#270 Post by kv » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm

in that case wu tang for sure

JOEinPHX

#271 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 am

Live music > People who press play on their DAT

Get snockered and go see Jane's.

Bandit72

#272 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:15 am

kv wrote:Image
Eric is an atheist :cool:

kv

#273 Post by kv » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 am

so am i and i say it all the time

Romeo

#274 Post by Romeo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:03 am

Six7Six7 wrote:

Lets:

1. Count how many times the "dancers" run their hands through their hair, or do a hair flip.
2. Figure out why the hell they added those "pew pew pew" raygun noises to the breakdown. (I mentioned this in my critique. Well, HERE THEY ARE. 3:00 minute mark)
That has to be the most boring and LAZY version of Three days I have ever seen

Horrible. Everyone.

creep
Site Admin

#275 Post by creep » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:29 am

jane's played another show last night on their ritual de lo habitual tour and didn't play ritual again.
Stop!
Ain't No Right
Mountain Song
Just Because
Had a Dad
Been Caught Stealing
Three Days
Up the Beach
Of Course
Ocean Size
Whores

Encore
Jane Says
i don't get the new dog barking intro. it looks like perry is making a little more of an effort to sing and not talk through songs last night.