Ritual Performance

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
bman

Re: Ritual Performance

#226 Post by bman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm

I actually kind of like Dave's mixing in some new solo elements in 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDsNwkWRK8

But whose idea was it to add this keyboardist? Too many cooks in the Kitchen. What the fuck. I guess they got bored during the recent Nothings Shocking shows?? Those shows were pretty good. That was only a few months back. These San Fran and Sacramento youtube clips sound a like a 1 year old band. Not a 30 year old band.

kv

#227 Post by kv » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 pm

because to play rit they need to add a player...they have played shows with keys a bunch

JOEinPHX

#228 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:42 pm

bman wrote:I've hated Mountain Song live now for years. And Perry has played it like 10,000 times. But this sounds pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9gRd91cgpk
See.

I'm not just being a hater. Calling it like I hear it/see it.

elbuitre

#229 Post by elbuitre » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 am

Appalling renditions of Obvious and Of Course. Perry's singing is obviously terrible but the band's rendition of Obvious was poor too, especially Dave's playing style.

Romeo

#230 Post by Romeo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 am

kv wrote:bman...be mad at yourself not them...they haven't changed (not in a long time anyway), you're the one who needs to at this point...stop giving them your money

no way they keep paying a touring keys player to eat out the costs of ettys wardrobe for very long...they are gonna ditch relapse shows in fast order and go back to the tried and true...perry gets etty dave gets strippers/wire hangers and they play the 10 song suzie set around the globe for the check

bman is like the abused wife, always hoping for a different outcome and hoping for things to get better
But you still get a beating in the end
:pat:

bman

#231 Post by bman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 am

LOl. not always. Some shows in recent memory have been good to great. Others, below average.

Nothings Shocking shows:
The very first two at Brooklyn Bowl Vegas when they debuted their 25th anny shows were great. Perry was not a liability, funny, and in the moment.
Times Square NY CBGB thing. Very Good.
Baltimore Shindig: Boring.
Brooklyn Bowl NY. Boring
Sayerville, NJ: Very Good.
Huntington LI: Very Good.
Pittsburg PA recently. Bad. Band tensions. Perry disgruntled.

bman

#232 Post by bman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:44 am

is there a Then She Did from SF yet?

Squee

#233 Post by Squee » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:04 am

bman wrote:LOl. not always. Some shows in recent memory have been good to great. Others, below average.

Nothings Shocking shows:
The very first two at Brooklyn Bowl Vegas when they debuted their 25th anny shows were great. Perry was not a liability, funny, and in the moment.
Times Square NY CBGB thing. Very Good.
Baltimore Shindig: Boring.
Brooklyn Bowl NY. Boring
Sayerville, NJ: Very Good.
Huntington LI: Very Good.
Pittsburg PA recently. Bad. Band tensions. Perry disgruntled.
I adore your positive outlook. Someone has to believe!
bman wrote:is there a Then She Did from SF yet?
Your wish is my command. Got it uploaded again successfully while I slept last night.

bman

#234 Post by bman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for posting! That sounds good actually. But Perry's mumbles are fucking annoying. His voice actually needs to be turned up in the mix. He cant hit those notes anymore so he needs to add some more echo. The barely audible vocals at times ruins it.

JOEinPHX

#235 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:01 pm

are the new teeth causing his mumbling? Or is he just doing that to mask the fact that he can't sing all the words?

Pandemonium

#236 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:25 pm

bman wrote: This Chip Away sounds awful.

Who is that idiot banging away on the guitar on the far left? It's not Dave, is it Todd? I've always wanted to hear them do the song like on the XXX album with Dave coming in on guitar at the end but this is worse than me in my garage after a few black russians. And yeah, Perry is pretty bad. I'd guess the recent botox makes it painful to stretch his mouth beyond a mere veneered grin.

Jasper

#237 Post by Jasper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:16 pm

creep wrote:Image

Noonesshocking

#238 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:35 pm

bman wrote:I've hated Mountain Song live now for years. And Perry has played it like 10,000 times. But this sounds pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9gRd91cgpk
2:20-2:25. Christ.

S&M

#239 Post by S&M » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:30 am

You all are too much? ...You already know the limitations but expect more?...like yer waiting for them to blow it to rejoice?....The show was fun...sitting back watching YouTube clips is not the same as being there....Perry had some great moments and Dave and Stephen rocked the fuck out!!!...What do they say? ...Doing the same thing and expecting different results is crazy....If you want Jane's 1.0 yer gunna be bummed.....If ya wanna hang with some loved ones and dance and party to music that meant sumpthing deep in yer life A+ ....Let it fucking go.....be in the moment.....It's still a cool place to be :heart: love ya'll :love:

kv

#240 Post by kv » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:49 am

it's all perspective...glad you had fun...i know i wouldn't have so youtube for giggles works for me :wave:

creep
Site Admin

#241 Post by creep » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 am

S&M wrote:You all are too much? ...You already know the limitations but expect more?...like yer waiting for them to blow it to rejoice?....The show was fun...sitting back watching YouTube clips is not the same as being there....Perry had some great moments and Dave and Stephen rocked the fuck out!!!...What do they say? ...Doing the same thing and expecting different results is crazy....If you want Jane's 1.0 yer gunna be bummed.....If ya wanna hang with some loved ones and dance and party to music that meant sumpthing deep in yer life A+ ....Let it fucking go.....be in the moment.....It's still a cool place to be :heart: love ya'll :love:
perry's voice is not what it was. fine. probably not much he can do about it.

it's his lack of effort he puts in to it that bothers me. they finally played some songs they haven't played and there is no effort or energy at all. perry was talking and mumbling through the lyrics and missing cues. the songs were all slowed down. yes i expect more. this is the laziest band ever and it's hard to support them when no effort made by them to put on a good show.
:noclue:

Everybody's Friend

#242 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 am

S&M wrote:You all are too much? ...You already know the limitations but expect more?...like yer waiting for them to blow it to rejoice?....The show was fun...sitting back watching YouTube clips is not the same as being there....Perry had some great moments and Dave and Stephen rocked the fuck out!!!...What do they say? ...Doing the same thing and expecting different results is crazy....If you want Jane's 1.0 yer gunna be bummed.....If ya wanna hang with some loved ones and dance and party to music that meant sumpthing deep in yer life A+ ....Let it fucking go.....be in the moment.....It's still a cool place to be :heart: love ya'll :love:
Creep: Bman is posting under two accounts and needs to be banned. :hehe:

Romeo

#243 Post by Romeo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:15 am

You know I would agree with you if my money tree was growing new money to spend.

But I will not spend my very hard earned cash on shit

JOEinPHX

#244 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 am

I was actually there at a festival and able to compare their performance to the performance of other bands of their longevity, and there was no comparison.

Bands like Faith No More show what happens when everyone onstage is properly prepared and a professional. Bands like Failure show what happens when you have a producer in your band and can get every single guitar tone perfect. Bands like Stone Temple Pilots show you can hire another singer with a totally different vocal range and he can still hit the notes required of him. Bands like the Eagles of Death Metal show that your singer can dance around like a madman and still hit the timing of when the vocals are supposed to come in. Even the goddamn Deftones put on a more professional show than Jane's Addiction.

Perry steps onstage tired, botoxed, unprepared, unrehearsed, and YOU wonder why we "expect too much" or "Expect Jane's 1.0"?

Faith No More are the same goddamn age (or older), also replaced a major member of the band, and yet still sounded perfect. So why can they show up sounding like Faith No More 1.0, but Jane's can't get their own sound right?

I don't think it's too much to expect that the man who makes the majority of the profits on a band should be the one putting in SOME effort into making his show decent. He's cashing all the paychecks while his bandmates are the ones doing all the rehearsing. His laziness is what is bringing the performance down. And ultimately his laziness is why so many hardcore fans have stopped attending their shows.

janesbiggestfan

#245 Post by janesbiggestfan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:24 am

Jesus these videos are embarresing. Not only the concerts but the last several months of his outings presented on the forum. Perry doesn't give a fuck. I cant look at his butchered increasingly asian face and the awful "post lobotomy" personality in the recent interviews.

I'ts almost to the point where I feel Perry was a sham or a fluke. Like, his best several years, that he's been milking ever since have been some sort of strange mistification. I've not seen anyone (maybe didn't care enough to notice) become something with almost nothing in common with the previous glorious self.

Sad and awful to watch, because you know if it wasnt for perry they could well have returned in glory and become one of the bands with dozens of records, cult following and decades of activity. Shame.

To think that during ninja I had these bombastic fantasies of jane's renewed triumphant return. hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thoreau

#246 Post by thoreau » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:To think that during ninja I had these bombastic fantasies of jane's renewed triumphant return. hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There were a good bit of us that shared that hopeful fantasy, albeit a delusional one.

JOEinPHX

#247 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:13 am

thoreau wrote:
janesbiggestfan wrote:To think that during ninja I had these bombastic fantasies of jane's renewed triumphant return. hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There were a good bit of us that shared that hopeful fantasy, albeit a delusional one.
I'm glad it happened, I just wish Perry hadn't spit in the faces of Eric and Trent Reznor, who both were trying to make Jane's great again.

I think Perry almost wants Jane's to be a part time sideshow circus just so he can put his "effort" into his other projects. When people expect him to work and take things seriously, it doesn't work for him.

cricket_bows

#248 Post by cricket_bows » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I'ts almost to the point where I feel Perry was a sham or a fluke. Like, his best several years, that he's been milking ever since have been some sort of strange mistification. I've not seen anyone (maybe didn't care enough to notice) become something with almost nothing in common with the previous glorious self.
THIS. I know it's a broken record, but you couldn't have articulated how I feel any better; it almost feels like a betrayal, in a weird way. More and more, I think it was a combination of drugs, lightning in a bottle, and magic that made for '86-'91. From 'way down low' to 'I like 'em big'? Fuck YOU.

Curious: we're all aware his voice is toast; I don't know anything about vocals or singing... is (was) his style going to go south regardless, even if he had been proactive to nurture his vocal cords/etc? I don't think he was ever a cigarette smoker, but what other factors contribute to what we're seeing now? I'm blanking on who can currently still bring it (any genre) after several years/decades, but there has to be. The whole thing's just 180° from what it stood for and organically came from, and it's really sad and embarrassing. ::record skips::

Artemis

#249 Post by Artemis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 pm

cricket_bows wrote:
I'm blanking on who can currently still bring it (any genre) after several years/decades, but there has to be.
I saw Robert Plant in September and he still sounds great.

Others who are in Perry's age group or older who still sound good (in my opinion)

Paul Weller
Bruce Springsteen
Madonna
Kate Bush
Dave Gahan(Depeche Mode)
Wayne Hussey(The Mission)
Gary Numan( he sounds better than ever! )
David Byrne
Robert Smith
Prince

That's all that comes to mind at the moment

Pandemonium

#250 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:47 pm

thoreau wrote:
When I saw a couple of the LA club shows when Eric first rejoined, there was a glimmer of the old Janes but when I saw the Irvine NINJA show a few months later, it was clear the spark was already dead again.