Jane's and 38 Special

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: Jane's and 38 Special

#61 Post by creep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:43 pm

crater wrote:
creep wrote:i have a feeling eric's wife must have a good job because he doesn't.
Or maybe playing with Garbage a handful of times every couple of years pays a lot more than any of us realize? :noclue:
it probably does but he hasn't played a payed show since 2010 (jane's) has he?

creep
Site Admin

#62 Post by creep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

actually he did go out with garbage after janes for a while i think

blackula

#63 Post by blackula » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:51 pm

creep wrote:
crater wrote:
creep wrote:i have a feeling eric's wife must have a good job because he doesn't.
Or maybe playing with Garbage a handful of times every couple of years pays a lot more than any of us realize? :noclue:
it probably does but he hasn't played a payed show since 2010 (jane's) has he?
He doesn't need a good job. Besides for all the money he made in the past when Jane's, Alanis and Garbage were relevant, he probably made a few hundred thousand between Ninja and the few festival shows in 2.0.

crater

#64 Post by crater » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:51 pm

This was a recent tweet by him

Just think, if he had stayed in Jane's Eric could've played his Speed Racer bass at the Indy 500 show.

SR

#65 Post by SR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:17 pm

I saw garbage open for janes 3 or 4 years ago

creep
Site Admin

#66 Post by creep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:25 pm

SR wrote:I saw garbage open for janes 3 or 4 years ago
so did i. the name of the band was nine inch nails. :banana:

SR

#67 Post by SR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:37 pm

creep wrote:
:lol: yeah, me too. That was a non hits tour for them....and stripped down.

POD, Neon Trees, Garbage, and Jane's were playing a festival in SD. Jane's sucked.

JOEinPHX

#68 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

creep wrote:
:eyes:

Romeo

#69 Post by Romeo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:58 am

creep wrote:

Ba da dum...

tubro

#70 Post by tubro » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

I like that O.A.R. hasn't been mentioned. I know those guys well. Two of them were neighbors of mine for quite a while. I was actually emailing with one of them today. Nice kids, all of them. Grew up together in Maryland. Had a band. Decided if they all went to the same college they could keep the band together so they all went to Ohio State and became a very popular hard working college club band. Have headlined the Garden. Write new music and tour the shit out of it. Like each other but have grown up and live scattered around the country now, some with wives and kids. What they play music isn't my cup of tea and probably wouldn't be to most of us here but it's musical and sincere and crowd pleasing and they never stop making their many fans happy.

All in all it's the most bizarre bill ever. But who knows? Summer is months away. It seems clear that they'll be playing some festivals. They could top this. Every state fair has a concert series, as far as I know. I went to one in Western Pennsylvania some years back when they totally bizarrely booked Ween, Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth for one of their shows. It was all shitkickers and wife beaters the other nights but that night was wild. And the best cherry pie competition was pretty sweet, although it smelled a bit like the pig shit in the next tent. Maybe Jane's can get on one of those. Or open for the Fresh Beat Band. Daevid Allen died today. (RIP) Perry can get back on the rock and do some gigs with Gong. Now that they have told us that a show at a racecar event with .38 Special isn't below them, we can only dream.

SR

#71 Post by SR » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:26 am

Please relate any insights or comments they might have on JA.

tubro

#72 Post by tubro » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 pm

SR wrote:Please relate any insights or comments they might have on JA.
I will. they're nice guys who tend to speak positively of other musicians. and the guy I'm closest to has love for punk rock and l.a. rock. my guess is that he'll say 'hey those guys are fun rock stars who plug in and play well and entertain'. either that or they'll will leave after their set and have a night gig somewhere else. I'm curious if their paths will even meet. most of these mobile shows just have separate trailers for dressing rooms and there's not a lot of chummy love. I doubt perry will spend much time in the meal tent.

perkana

#73 Post by perkana » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 pm

creep wrote:actually he did go out with garbage after janes for a while i think
He's played twice with them here (tomorrow will be his second time). I'm old and cheap so I'm going to watch them cozy and warm online. Also, they are not top bill.
Last edited by perkana on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#74 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 pm

tubro wrote:
I will. they're nice guys who tend to speak positively of other musicians. and the guy I'm closest to has love for punk rock and l.a. rock. my guess is that he'll say 'hey those guys are fun rock stars who plug in and play well and entertain'. either that or they'll will leave after their set and have a night gig somewhere else. I'm curious if their paths will even meet. most of these mobile shows just have separate trailers for dressing rooms and there's not a lot of chummy love. I doubt perry will spend much time in the meal tent.
Perry won't have time to hit the meal tent. He's too busy Always Partyin'

Funny that they are playing with 38 Special since Perry is probably bringing along 38 Not Special.

SR

#75 Post by SR » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:35 am

tubro wrote:
I did a little reading on them. They aren't too young to understand the grassroots 1.0 version and as you say one is a bit of a historian. If any juicy nuggets come up.....

creep
Site Admin

#76 Post by creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:35 pm

everyone is boycotting anything to do indiana. does janes cancel? i doubt it.

just saw this today
Wilco just announced via Twitter that it has canceled an upcoming concert date in Indianapolis in protest of the state’s controversial new “religious freedom” law. In two tweets, the group stated, “We’re canceling our 5/7 show in Indianapolis. ‘Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act’ feels like thinly disguised legal discrimination... Hope to get back to the Hoosier State someday soon, when this odious measure is repealed. Refunds available at point of purchase.”

Artemis

#77 Post by Artemis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Wilco. :rockon:

I'd be interested to see what JA does too. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt they would be willing to give up a pay cheque.

creep
Site Admin

#78 Post by creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Artemis wrote:Wilco. :rockon:

I'd be interested to see what JA does too. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt they would be willing to give up a pay cheque.
it's not really their show. it's a paid corporate show and who knows how the contract works but it could cost them money. :noclue:

i could see dave having an issue....but perry... who knows?

intertwoven

#79 Post by intertwoven » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm sure they'll play as normal, with Perry spouting some gibberish against it between songs a couple times to a smattering of applause.

clickie

#80 Post by clickie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 pm

So whats one of 38 specials hit songs? I need to broaden my listening horizon.

Essence_Smith

#81 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Despite listening to Strays for the first time that day and hearing True Nature and knowing immediately that something wasn't quite right, I still took my place amongst the crowd at Tower Records in NYC the day that album released for the signing...a disappointing deal overall...Dave was the only one who was friendly, I pissed off Perk because when Dave introduced him nervously said "I know who he is" like I didn't care (lol) and his whole demeanor changed...Perry didn't even look up until I shook a hand in his face and I also totally walked away without shaking Chaney's hand and came back to the table to do so and blurted out some crazy fan boy shit...the only time in my life I've ever been even remotely star struck and in all honesty since the meeting was nothing like I'd always imagined as a kid...the dream died that day...the rest that followed is history...

I say all of that to say...it's been a LONG time since 1.0 and the lot of us are still hanging around mainly because we've been doing it for so long it just feels like what we should be doing...somewhere along the lines though it became a common thing for someone to post on what JA is doing now and for the rest to pile on about how shitty it is...and that imo is just as shitty as what JA is doing now...I like to make lemonade myself...now que whoever to tell me I should stop posting to put that out there, etc...I just don't get the point in pouting about it...ya don't like it don't pay it any mind...I still listen to JA every now and again and still remember how great they were and realize that they're just tied to that time. No need to analyze it beyond that...what they do now is completely meaningless. I look at it like this...I had a friend who died in a bad motorcycle accident and I happened upon it and was called to the ER to identify him...that's not how I remember him even though the image is burned into my brain...I realize it's more difficult for others though...

Just gonna take a guess that Rollins, Corgan and all the rest still prefer to remember JA at their peak and still have a deep appreciation...also being that they also realize they need to make a living they're not judging anywhere near as harshly as we do... :wave:

JOEinPHX

#82 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 pm

intertwoven wrote:I'm sure they'll play as normal, with Perry spouting some gibberish against it between songs a couple times to a smattering of applause.
Yeah it'll be more of his embarrassing bullshit. "I love getting my cock SUCKED!" ...."Anyone wanna fuck my wife in the ass like I do?"

:eyes:

Dave, Stephen, and Cheney will have to start playing the next song to cut him off just like they have in the past.

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:.ya don't like it don't pay it any mind.
that's some great advice :arrow: :idea:

cricket_bows

#84 Post by cricket_bows » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:22 am

Essence_Smith wrote:ya don't like it don't pay it any mind...

Essence_Smith

#85 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:36 pm

creep wrote:
Essence_Smith wrote:.ya don't like it don't pay it any mind.
that's some great advice :arrow: :idea:
More often than not I do follow it...have you guys actually counted how many of the threads get like this? :lol: