Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Re: perry and etty on some cooking show

#26 Post by Mescal » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 am

I always use my hands to put ice in someone's glass :noclue:

Larry B.

#27 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 am

Hand-tainted ice cubes are the number 1 cause of cancer and Super AIDS.

Bandit72

#28 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 am

Mescal wrote:I always use my hands to put ice in someone's glass :noclue:
Even when you've just come back from having a piss?

bman

#29 Post by bman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:35 pm

That was obviously the CD version of that song. What can I say. Perry's a kid. That spirit is what makes him great but what also makes him childish still. I don't know if he has a serious side anymore. That's why Eric is sorely missed. His nature is needed to really balance Perry out.

Tyler Durden

#30 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Perry ruined his brain with too many hard drugs. The end.

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
"I always make sure I'm in a room full of smart guys. That's the way you win"
Definition: All my 'yes men' tell me i'm doing a great job at all times. That's why I never lose, because I am so out of touch than I don't even know the difference.

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm

Larry B. wrote:Ice cubes in wine?!?! That's as offensive as cutting your spaghetti or boiling your water to make mate.
She's an alcoholic and prescription drug addict. Her ability to reason what is classy and what isn't is severely impaired.

Not that I am defending her actions, but there is no way you could ever explain to her and her damaged mind why that isn't ok.

Bandit72

#33 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Ice cubes in wine?!?! That's as offensive as cutting your spaghetti or boiling your water to make mate.
She's an alcoholic and prescription drug addict. Her ability to reason what is classy and what isn't is severely impaired.

Not that I am defending her actions, but there is no way you could ever explain to her and her damaged mind why that isn't ok.
Definitely an alcoholic. Even Perry seems to be bordering on drink dependency.

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

Definitely an alcoholic. Even Perry seems to be bordering on drink dependency.
Her posts about recreational xanax use during Lollapalooza leads me to believe she abuses those as well.

It's such an "LA thing to do"

creep
Site Admin

#35 Post by creep » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:04 pm

not that i'm an expert but i dated a girl with a prescription problem and etty has the same weird mannerisms as she did. of course this doesn't mean that she has a problem. :noclue:

Bandit72

#36 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 pm

creep wrote:not that i'm an expert but i dated a girl with a prescription problem and etty has the same weird mannerisms as she did. of course this means she's a meth addict :thumb:

nausearockpig

#37 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Here's the full episode for you suckers after some punishment...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e6qk ... sode_music

filthpurveyor

#38 Post by filthpurveyor » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Here is direct download link for the 1080p version:

http://we.tl/MynOryW6qa

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:31 am

You guys are wrong about ice cubes and wine. It's a really easy way to get wine chilled closer to the right temp if you know what you're doing. You don't have to let the whole cube melt, but even if it does, it's only about a teaspoon of water and it shouldn't affect the taste much at all, except to open it up a bit, which you sometimes want.

Romeo

#40 Post by Romeo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:53 am

Sorry but it is considered a wine faux pas
2) Putting Ice Cubes in a Glass of Wine White Wine

It pains me greatly to see someone, often women, pop ice cubs into their white wine. For one, the winemaker has gone to great lengths to create a wine with body, balance, and a beginning, middle, and end that is totally disrupted when a wine is literally “watered down.” Secondly, if the goal is to chill a glass of wine more, the most time-efficient way to do so is to pop it into a freezer for 10 minutes, or better yet, put it in a tub of ice WITH some cold water in it (so the bottle is in a freezing bath). Within a matter of minutes the whole bottle will be further chilled- and the composition of the wine preserved.
http://www.bottlenotes.com/winecycloped ... e-faux-pas

Same with say....a fine aged whiskey. This is why they make whiskey stones

Bandit72

#41 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:55 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You guys are wrong about ice cubes and wine. It's a really easy way to get wine chilled closer to the right temp if you know what you're doing. You don't have to let the whole cube melt, but even if it does, it's only about a teaspoon of water and it shouldn't affect the taste much at all, except to open it up a bit, which you sometimes want.
I disagree. If you're drinking white wine, you should chill it in advance of drinking it, as well as opening it in advance of drinking it. I had a sommelier even tell me on a cool day you can even open a bottle of white in the morning and leave it outside for when you get back that evening. White wines shouldn't be drunk at negative temperatures, that's got to be one of the biggest myths going.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:01 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:You guys are wrong about ice cubes and wine. It's a really easy way to get wine chilled closer to the right temp if you know what you're doing. You don't have to let the whole cube melt, but even if it does, it's only about a teaspoon of water and it shouldn't affect the taste much at all, except to open it up a bit, which you sometimes want.
I disagree. If you're drinking white wine, you should chill it in advance of drinking it, as well as opening it in advance of drinking it. I had a sommelier even tell me on a cool day you can even open a bottle of white in the morning and leave it outside for when you get back that evening. White wines shouldn't be drunk at negative temperatures, that's got to be one of the biggest myths going.
.... um... I didn't say anything to disagree with... an ice cube isn't going to drop the temp to negatives... it's a fairly reliable way to get it down to about 16-18C if it was at modern room temp (21C)... It's a far more reliable way than trying to guess after putting it in the fridge...

Larry B.

#43 Post by Larry B. » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:21 am

I think the point at stake is that you do not put ice cubes in wine, that's it. You want a chilly wine? Chill it in advance. You didn't chill it in advance? Then chill it quickly (e.g., moisten a couple of paper towels, wrap them around the bottle and put the bottle in the freezer. In 15 minutes it'll be cool) or drink it as it is.

I don't even drink and I consider ice cubes in wine to be one of the tackiest things ever.

Hype

#44 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 am

Larry B. wrote:I think the point at stake is that you do not put ice cubes in wine, that's it. You want a chilly wine? Chill it in advance. You didn't chill it in advance? Then chill it quickly (e.g., moisten a couple of paper towels, wrap them around the bottle and put the bottle in the freezer. In 15 minutes it'll be cool) or drink it as it is.

I don't even drink and I consider ice cubes in wine to be one of the tackiest things ever.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Obviously watering down or overchilling a glass of wine with say, six cubes... is a stupid idea. No one suggested that. What I have said is that a single cube of ice is a reliable method for properly chilling a glass of wine (even red), if you're worried about over-chilling, and generally doesn't affect the wine itself negatively, at least if you're using a clean cube (from an ice-machine or from a clean tray in a clean freezer).

Wine chilled in the fridge/freezer is invariably too cold.

Bandit72

#45 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 am

You want a chilly wine? Chill it in advance.
Nail on head.

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:37 am

Go to Italy or Spain and tell them that about the wine out on the table. :eyes:

SR

#47 Post by SR » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 am

Any neutral agent introduced into any food stuff will alter it. If the % of neutral agent is proportionately high against the host, it will alter it more.

If your objective is to chill the wine and you do not care about the wine then by all means......otherwise don't. A cube of ice will alter everything about the wine.....acidity, viscosity, alc. level, bouquet, and taste.

Bandit72

#48 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:54 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Go to Italy or Spain and tell them that about the wine out on the table. :eyes:
I have done. I worked in Catalunya for 5 years in the 1990's. And I've spent a lot of my life in France as my mother is French. I've never seen anyone put ice cubes in wine in France or Spain. #justsayin

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 am

That's too far North. The point isn't that you *should* put ice cubes in your wine. The point is that the existing faux pas both isn't universal (but may track upper/lower class distinctions that the young folk (hipsters) are now blurring, because there was never any good reason for them), and isn't grounded in fact. The belief that adding water to wine (even if in minuscule quantities) is somehow bad is a myth... and ignores the history of wine. The ancient Greeks watered-down the shit out of their wine. Which again, isn't an argument for doing it... it's just to say that there's no fact of the matter about doing or not doing it aside from bullshit arguments from selective cultural or social bias. What's more, there are good reasons to think it can be a good idea to add a single cube or two to a glass of wine in certain circumstances, and either remove it quickly or not worry about it, without being called a boor.

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 am

SR wrote:Any neutral agent introduced into any food stuff will alter it. If the % of neutral agent is proportionately high against the host, it will alter it more.

If your objective is to chill the wine and you do not care about the wine then by all means......otherwise don't. A cube of ice will alter everything about the wine.....acidity, viscosity, alc. level, bouquet, and taste.
Sometimes for the better. :nod: There are genuine questions here about facts... Like, would adding a single, distilled water cube of ice that hasn't taken on the flavours of the freezer, to an ordinary-sized glass of white wine, stirring it around for about 5 seconds, and then removing it, affect the relevant features of the wine in positive or negative ways MORE or LESS than imperfect chilling, say, for too long, or not long enough... or insufficient or over-aerating/oxidization? It's easy to just add a little more wine to the glass. Wine is almost entirely water in the first place. The same way adding a drop of water to a fine scotch can help, not hinder, the intrinsic features of the drink, rather than say mutating them into some schlock only boorish poor people drink... there's no reason to think frozen water per se will ruin a good wine.

My insistence in this thread isn't meant to undercut these sorts of consideration, but to separate them from bullshit.