NIN's Ilan Rubin Talks Eric Avery's Exit

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

SR

Re: NIN's Ilan Rubin Talks Eric Avery's Exit

#2 Post by SR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:50 am

Seems that there are two possible conclusions.....EA couldn't keep up or EA couldn't keep up. :noclue:

Warped

#3 Post by Warped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 am

:lol:

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 am

didn't the same thing happen when he was going to be in the smashing pumkins?

eye

#5 Post by eye » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:48 am

SR wrote:Seems that there are two possible conclusions.....EA couldn't keep up or EA couldn't keep up. :noclue:
Yeah.. this is strange to me? the nails stuff really isn't difficult or technical, and Avery's a great bass player. I guarantee, the GTO stuff will be all over the place technically - rhythms/time signatures etc ... just look at the fucking line up!!! on a side note; I saw some shots of Juliette Lewis signing in the studio with those guys, is she officially the vocalist now?

SR

#6 Post by SR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

I am not sure, nor am I a musician....but I have heard on consistent basis for years (including by EA) that while good, he is by no means a great player. Add that to the freakish perfectionism of TR and maybe it just didn't gel.

As for Giraffe, I have kind of given up on them....but I hope your right. :thumb:

Warped

#7 Post by Warped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:38 am

Giraffe? When was that first mentioned, it seems like years ago to me...

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:45 am

eye wrote:
SR wrote:Seems that there are two possible conclusions.....EA couldn't keep up or EA couldn't keep up. :noclue:
Yeah.. this is strange to me? the nails stuff really isn't difficult or technical, and Avery's a great bass player. I guarantee, the GTO stuff will be all over the place technically - rhythms/time signatures etc ... just look at the fucking line up!!! on a side note; I saw some shots of Juliette Lewis signing in the studio with those guys, is she officially the vocalist now?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Is it for good reason that Eric's only major work outside of Jane's was as Alanis' bass player?

creep
Site Admin

#10 Post by creep » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm

hokahey wrote:Is it for good reason that Eric's only major work outside of Jane's was as Alanis' bass player?
Garbage too

Essence_Smith

#11 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm

I think Eric's likely a great melodic player who can get in synch with groups where the focus isn't necessarily on chops...he was NEVER a technical player...

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Trent doesn't have much interest in rocking anymore, so he only hires guys like that Pino guy, who completely ruined the bassline to Sanctified in order to make a shittier mellow version of the song.

I think Eric wanted to shred his face off and Trent was probably like "Sorry man, I'm suuuuuuch an artist now that we have to play every song in the dark while 3D images swirl around us as we perform every old song in the style of boring ass Ghosts"

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Trent doesn't have much interest in rocking anymore, so he only hires guys like that Pino guy, who completely ruined the bassline to Sanctified in order to make a shittier mellow version of the song.

I think Eric wanted to shred his face off and Trent was probably like "Sorry man, I'm suuuuuuch an artist now that we have to play every song in the dark while 3D images swirl around us as we perform every old song in the style of boring ass Ghosts"
Pino Palladino is arguably the technically best bassist in any live lineup of NIN. IMO, the shitty version of Sanctified this past tour is completely down to Trent. I really do think it came down to Eric simply not working well in the confines of the usual NIN sound which is dominated by regimented click tracks. He's never been that kind of live musician. Perkins is a great drummer but I doubt he'd be a good fit for that style of live playing either. The situation sounds like it panned out much like when David Bowie wanted Stevie Ray Vaughan to play in the live band after adding solos on the "Let's Dance" album in '83 and they both realized in pre-tour rehearsals Vaughan just didn't fit in the band.

kv

#14 Post by kv » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:44 am

ya fuck clicks ebb and flow for the win...way too many people today play to clicks so they can process it to death after the live jam....screw that play it live 500 times till you do it right...janes music wouldn't work with a click imho i doubt ole school janes ever recorded to one...that was their punk side...ebb flow...not 1000% steady start to finish :jasper:

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 am

yeah, Eric really isn't such a good bass player.

He is inventive and has a good groove, and he wrote some grote bass lines in JA, so I love him as a player, but none of his bass lines are hard to play or anything.

His bass playing on Alanis' You Oughta know is terrible for starters. So I understand why he wouldn't be a fit for NIN. NIN basslines aren't all that easy btw

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Mescal wrote: His bass playing on Alanis' You Oughta know is terrible for starters.
In what album? The original recording features Flea on bass.

Mescal

#17 Post by Mescal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:29 am

Larry B. wrote:
Mescal wrote: His bass playing on Alanis' You Oughta know is terrible for starters.
In what album? The original recording features Flea on bass.
I know honey

He simplifies the Flea bassline A LOT.

He plays no fills, and he doesn't play syncopated like Flea does. One note just flows into the other.

Flea's bassline makes this song. Sorry guys, but to me, Eric butchers the song by playing this way.

Essence_Smith

#18 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

kv wrote:ya fuck clicks ebb and flow for the win...way too many people today play to clicks so they can process it to death after the live jam....screw that play it live 500 times till you do it right...janes music wouldn't work with a click imho i doubt ole school janes ever recorded to one...that was their punk side...ebb flow...not 1000% steady start to finish :jasper:
:noclue:
I've played in great bands that used clicks live and in studio...I think with NIN it's all the other stuff going on that makes it sound overprocessed...I do know what you mean though...it's definitely overdone these days, but I think it's because people don't improvise over clicks, they basically play the same part over and over...

tubro

#19 Post by tubro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: The situation sounds like it panned out much like when David Bowie wanted Stevie Ray Vaughan to play in the live band after adding solos on the "Let's Dance" album in '83 and they both realized in pre-tour rehearsals Vaughan just didn't fit in the band.
interesting comparison - and all respect to EA, and I don't know what happened between him and trent, but his being sacked from the live lineup of NIN is as far a cry from the SRV/Bowie thing as EA is a far cry from SRV.

through odd happenstance, I used to watch boxing a lot with nile rogers in the late 80s. we're both fans. SRV was hired to do the let's dance album and the tour. he did the album . SRV was known to be a fucking monster by then but was still a relative unknown except in music and Austin circles. and he had a big personality and an ego that nile said wasn't bad or nasty or anything but just big and present. nile liked him a lot. he was so fucking great and such a slinger - how could he not? anyway, he and bowie didn't get on that well during the recording but weren't together that much. then during tour rehearsals it was clear that SRV wasn't the guy for bowie. double trouble was supposed to be the opening act on the tour but SRV wasn't supposed to promote himself. bowie wanted him to be the tour guy, period. and he hated it and it blew up pretty quickly. I saw that tour and it was great but man, with SRV, I can't imagine how amazing it would have been. I love earl slick but this would have been more like having mick ronson up there. but the tour was, like most db tours, very much a david bowie spotlight tour, with the band behind him, not a rock band with bowie singing, like tin machine or spiders from mars or even the '90 or so box set greatest hits tour with a simple trio and, ironically enough, Adrian belew, who by then was a pretty big star, up front making rhino noises or whatever the fuck he does.

I have some tour rehearsals with SRV on them. some great. some you can tell that he's just there to play a part and that would have been a waste.

RIP SRV. and RIP my dad, the reason i love music, who died on 11-25 at 84. throw some water on the ground for tubro sr. you would have all liked him.

Lokus

#20 Post by Lokus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 am

It could have nothing to do with Eric's technical ability. His style or vibe may have just not meshed with the band and songs. It happens.

Don't forget, Belew wasn't included either, and he is a very technical player.

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:02 pm

tubro wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: The situation sounds like it panned out much like when David Bowie wanted Stevie Ray Vaughan to play in the live band after adding solos on the "Let's Dance" album in '83 and they both realized in pre-tour rehearsals Vaughan just didn't fit in the band.
interesting comparison - and all respect to EA, and I don't know what happened between him and trent, but his being sacked from the live lineup of NIN is as far a cry from the SRV/Bowie thing as EA is a far cry from SRV.

(snip)

I have some tour rehearsals with SRV on them. some great. some you can tell that he's just there to play a part and that would have been a waste.
Yeah, I have a bootleg with the rehearsals as well and agree with your take.

SR

#22 Post by SR » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:50 am

tubro wrote:

through odd happenstance, I used to watch boxing a lot with nile rogers in the late 80s. we're both fans. SRV was hired to do the let's dance album and the tour. he did the album . SRV was known to be a fucking monster by then but was still a relative unknown except in music and Austin circles. and he had a big personality and an ego that nile said wasn't bad or nasty or anything but just big and present. nile liked him a lot. he was so fucking great and such a slinger - how could he not? anyway, he and bowie didn't get on that well during the recording but weren't together that much. then during tour rehearsals it was clear that SRV wasn't the guy for bowie. double trouble was supposed to be the opening act on the tour but SRV wasn't supposed to promote himself. bowie wanted him to be the tour guy, period. and he hated it and it blew up pretty quickly. I saw that tour and it was great but man, with SRV, I can't imagine how amazing it would have been. I love earl slick but this would have been more like having mick ronson up there. but the tour was, like most db tours, very much a david bowie spotlight tour, with the band behind him, not a rock band with bowie singing, like tin machine or spiders from mars or even the '90 or so box set greatest hits tour with a simple trio and, ironically enough, Adrian belew, who by then was a pretty big star, up front making rhino noises or whatever the fuck he does.

RIP SRV. and RIP my dad, the reason i love music, who died on 11-25 at 84. throw some water on the ground for tubro sr. you would have all liked him.
You should post more. Water thrown

SR

#23 Post by SR » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 am

Pandemonium wrote:
tubro wrote:

(snip)

Must be incredibly interesting boot

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

SR wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
tubro wrote:

(snip)

Must be incredibly interesting boot
They're all up on YouTube. Here's "Cat People" and "Gene Genie" .....

SR

#25 Post by SR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:34 pm

:tiphat: