Perry sings mountain song with FF and Joe Walsh

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Re: Perry sings mountain song with FF and Joe Walsh

#26 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 am

Larry B. wrote:
tubro wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Dave Grohl is the real deal.

I question anyone who believes otherwise. He's got more art in his pinky than Perry Farrell ever had in his whole body, at this point.

i had to read this a few times to try and determine if you're serious or making a joke. especially because the last sentence is unclear. 'than perry ever had' and 'at this point' are contradictory. anyway, i have no gripe whatsoever with saying that he's got more art in him than perry has now. that's a comment on the state of perry as an artist at present and sadly that statement would, i'm afraid, apply to anyone making any art at all, since perry isn't and hasn't in a long time. so that's not really about grohl. as for grohl, if he'd just shut the fuck up about how much he's the spokesperson for and only true voice of rock and roll, then i'd stop at thinking he's a poseur whose band bores me. plenty of bands that other people like bore me and i'm sure plenty of bands that i like bore others. that's just taste. but grohl flat out embraces his self appointed and media approved role as the guy who knows it all about hard rock. and that's just insane and more than a little bit annoying. sort of like wynton marsalis, who's got more art in his pinky than grohl will ever have in his whole body, but still is bothersome as the guy who knows and will tell all about jazz. grohl needs to shut the fuck up and the rock media needs to stop turning to him for comment on every subject. like frank zappa said, shut up and play your guitar.

having said all of that, and in fairness, the hbo series episode about DC was great. i lived in DC in those years and while those punk bands weren't and still aren't my favorite punk bands, i was very much an attendee of that scene and i saw and hung out with all of them and also went to many of those punk funk go-go warehouse shows with trouble funk, chuck brown, EU and the other go-go bands. ian mackaye is an amazing and underrated figure.
Leaving art aside, I see Dave as a good role model for the hundreds of thousands of people who follow him. He's not on the brink of suicide every 5 minutes (not that we know of,) he sends messages related to a good familiy life, friendship, stuff like that, all the while saying how fun life is supposed to be. I think that's a good message, and a better role model than many other rockers.

Having said that, I don't really like what he does in Foo Fighters. I just think it's boring. His energy playing live is great, and everyone seems to enjoy it, so I don't really think he should stop or change. Rock and roll is dead anyway. And about that article, I don't know if the writer was serious or not, but comparing Dave Grohl to Victor Jara is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in the week.
Pretty much agree with Larry here. Dave seems like a cool guy and I like his drumming in Nirvana and Qotsa. But what the fuck is up with the Foo Fighters. Genuinely crappy music.

There's this festival I go to every year (for the last 20 years), Rock Werchter, which is always the first weekend of July. Which is great, cause that's when my vacation starts. So I can get all freaky for 4 days and then recuperate. But this year the festival is one week earlier, cause they want the Foo Fighters to headline, and no other date was possible.

Anyway, fuck the Foo Fighters

nausearockpig

#27 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Mescal wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
tubro wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Dave Grohl is the real deal.

I question anyone who believes otherwise. He's got more art in his pinky than Perry Farrell ever had in his whole body, at this point.

i had to read this a few times to try and determine if you're serious or making a joke. especially because the last sentence is unclear. 'than perry ever had' and 'at this point' are contradictory. anyway, i have no gripe whatsoever with saying that he's got more art in him than perry has now. that's a comment on the state of perry as an artist at present and sadly that statement would, i'm afraid, apply to anyone making any art at all, since perry isn't and hasn't in a long time. so that's not really about grohl. as for grohl, if he'd just shut the fuck up about how much he's the spokesperson for and only true voice of rock and roll, then i'd stop at thinking he's a poseur whose band bores me. plenty of bands that other people like bore me and i'm sure plenty of bands that i like bore others. that's just taste. but grohl flat out embraces his self appointed and media approved role as the guy who knows it all about hard rock. and that's just insane and more than a little bit annoying. sort of like wynton marsalis, who's got more art in his pinky than grohl will ever have in his whole body, but still is bothersome as the guy who knows and will tell all about jazz. grohl needs to shut the fuck up and the rock media needs to stop turning to him for comment on every subject. like frank zappa said, shut up and play your guitar.

having said all of that, and in fairness, the hbo series episode about DC was great. i lived in DC in those years and while those punk bands weren't and still aren't my favorite punk bands, i was very much an attendee of that scene and i saw and hung out with all of them and also went to many of those punk funk go-go warehouse shows with trouble funk, chuck brown, EU and the other go-go bands. ian mackaye is an amazing and underrated figure.
Leaving art aside, I see Dave as a good role model for the hundreds of thousands of people who follow him. He's not on the brink of suicide every 5 minutes (not that we know of,) he sends messages related to a good familiy life, friendship, stuff like that, all the while saying how fun life is supposed to be. I think that's a good message, and a better role model than many other rockers.

Having said that, I don't really like what he does in Foo Fighters. I just think it's boring. His energy playing live is great, and everyone seems to enjoy it, so I don't really think he should stop or change. Rock and roll is dead anyway. And about that article, I don't know if the writer was serious or not, but comparing Dave Grohl to Victor Jara is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in the week.
Pretty much agree with Larry here. Dave seems like a cool guy and I like his drumming in Nirvana and Qotsa. But what the fuck is up with the Foo Fighters. Genuinely crappy music.

There's this festival I go to every year (for the last 20 years), Rock Werchter, which is always the first weekend of July. Which is great, cause that's when my vacation starts. So I can get all freaky for 4 days and then recuperate. But this year the festival is one week earlier, cause they want the Foo Fighters to headline, and no other date was possible.

Anyway, fuck the Foo Fighters
Perhaps... just cos he was a great drummer in one of the world's greatest bands doesn't mean he's then going to turn out to be a songwriter that everyone loves as much as that first band.... or maybe his music is excellent and you just don't recognise this? or maybe all music "quality" is within reason, about opinions and there is no measure, no "good" or "bad" music... Metallica, Spice Girls anyone?

Mescal

#28 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:51 pm

i'd rather listen to the Spice girls than to the Foo Fighters.

Wannabe is better than anything the Foo Schnitzels put out

Romeo

#29 Post by Romeo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I have to give the Foo's some props on the handling of the presale tickets for the up coming tour
You have to physically go to the box office. Old skool. It's called "beat the bots". Fuck stub hub!

Pandemonium

#30 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Romeo wrote:I have to give the Foo's some props on the handling of the presale tickets for the up coming tour
You have to physically go to the box office. Old skool. It's called "beat the bots". Fuck stub hub!
I'm too lazy to check on the details of how their tickets are being sold, etc, but as described, it seems like one can simply buy the tickets at the box office or any physical TM location and put 'em up on sale via eBay, Stubhub, etc as usual. And my experience going back to the late 70's was I almost *never* got decent tickets waiting in line at the box office and pro scalpers always got the best seats via bribing or paying people to stand in line overnight.

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:53 pm

i remember the days of going to tower records and waiting in line for hours at the bass outlet. bots or not i'm glad those days are over.

kv

#32 Post by kv » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:03 pm

i remember those days so welll...i thought i was a fucking genius when i clued in nordstroms had a ticket window you could show up 10 minutes before sale and be in a line of no more then 5 people ever...i never told a living soul that knowledge till today

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:23 pm

kv wrote:i remember those days so welll...i thought i was a fucking genius when i clued in nordstroms had a ticket window you could show up 10 minutes before sale and be in a line of no more then 5 people ever...i never told a living soul that knowledge till today
There was a TM outlet at the Sears at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa which usually only drew a small handful of people but my experience was I could be first in line and still usually only get shitty seats. I clued in after my first couple years of getting burned waiting or calling TicketMaster (or Ticketron back in the day) and venue box offices was that the only hassle free way of getting the kind of seats I wanted was pay through the nose to ticket agencies or parking lot scalpers. The only time I'd use TM up through the end of the '90s was for small general admission type shows.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:30 pm

ya same for sure stack of 20's and a credit card gets you anywhere...but as a kid i def sat in lines

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
And my experience going back to the late 70's was I almost *never* got decent tickets waiting in line at the box office and pro scalpers always got the best seats via bribing or paying people to stand in line overnight.
:nod: The only time I ever got really good tickets waiting in line was for Pink Floyd in '87(I think). A couple of friends and I lined up from about midnight until the box office opened. We got centre floor seats 8 rows back from the stage!! This was the tour for A Momentary Lapse of Reason.
Last edited by Artemis on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:02 pm

U2 in 2006, I went straight from a recording session to purchase tickets, at around 5 AM. I was number 9 in line. After buying 4 tickets, I had to do the line again to buy 2 more tickets. It sucked, but it was sort of fun at the same time. And for the show I also spent the night outside the stadium so that we could get in the inner circle.

Romeo

#37 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 am

Pandemonium wrote:
RomeYouro wrote:I have to give the Foo's some props on the handling of the presale tickets for the it's
up coming tour
I'm too lazy to check on the details of how their tickets are being sold, etc, but as described, it seems like one can simply buy the tickets at the box office or any physical TM location and put 'em up on sale via eBay, Stubhub, etc as usual. And my experience going back to the late 70's was I almost *never* got decent tickets waiting in line at the box office and pro scalpers always got the best seats via bribing or paying people to stand in line overnight.
No TM, Mets ticket window only. Your only allowed 2 premium seats or 4 reserved. In fact I do no
believe the general sale is TM either only through mets.com. because there is a special presale (after the physical sale) on Dec 1 for Mets season ticket holders.
FUCK TM.

Pandemonium

#38 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:42 am

kv wrote:ya same for sure stack of 20's and a credit card gets you anywhere...but as a kid i def sat in lines
As far as I can recall, I did the over night thing for maybe half a dozen shows ever. I did a few where I showed up an hour or two early but the full on camping over night thing was pretty rare. That was the great thing about most general admission shows at places like the Palace and The Hollywood Palladium is that as long as I got to a TM by lunch day of onsale, I usually got tickets no problem (such as the Janes '89 Ford Theater and '90 Palladium shows). The most memorable overnighter by far was for Van Halen in early '81 for their "Fair Warning" tour shows in LA.

When it was announced that tickets were going on sale, my buddy and I decided we'd go to the Forum parking lot the Sunday night before and camp overnight to get a great spot in line for the next morning. I always bought tickets from agencies or scalpers for reserved seating concerts and I figured wtf, do some work, save some money this time around. So we get there around 9 that night and there's already like 300 people in line at the Forum box office and it's a total heavy metal parking lot party. We decide to stay more for the fun of hanging out than a chance of getting decent tickets and for a couple hours, everything's cool. Around midnight, cops show up and order us off the Forum grounds and warn us that there's no line-ups 'til the next morning.

So we go back to our car parked across the street and as soon as the cops leave, we watch *everyone* run back to line up again in front of the Forum box office. Within half an hour, a *lot* of cops show up again, this time pissed and aggressively hustling everyone out of the parking lot. Problem is, a lot of people including us went to the adjoining Hollywood Park race track parking lot and hotel next to the Forum to wait and see if the cops would leave again but things quickly got way out of hand with people partying and drunks swimming naked in the hotel pool and it's passing 2am. Now dozens of cops are bum rushing groups of people, hitting 'em with batons and in full ass kicking mode. A bunch of us run down the street on the opposite side of the Forum lot and climb over the tall wall that circles the huge Inglewood Park Cemetery and we're hiding in bushes laughing like it's some hide n' seek game with the cops. After a while, things cool down and we decide to wait 'til dawn in the cemetery. There's a low fog on the ground, it's pretty much horror movie creepy in this place. So a group of about 6 of us are walking around killing time, I accidently step into I guess a fresh grave 'cause the dirt's real soft and I sink into mud right up to my knees. We're all freaked out and I had to strip off my pants and wash the mud off in sprinklers. We go back to my friend's truck and wait out the next few hours in pretty miserable condition.

Dawn finally arrives, we're all hung over, I'm freezing in sopping wet pants. We walk back to the Forum parking lot and we discover there's no line-up, it's "random number draws" for the ticket line-up. So several security guys (who are obviously paid by pro scalpers to give them the first numbers for the lineup) wander through the (seated on parking lot pavement) crowd and you pull a numbered ticket out of a shopping bag. My buddy and I got fair numbers only a dozen or so apart and we figure we'll get shit seats but we lasted this long, may as well see it through. So tickets for 1 show go on sale, my buddy gets terrible seats for the first Forum show, then they add a Sports Arena and another Forum show just as I go to the window to get tickets. I wound up with 18th row for the 6/21/81 show. When we got back home, we heard on the news that President Reagan had been shot. We skipped work that night watching the news and just fried from the past 24 hours. What a weird day that was.

Another one was for U2's stadium tour for the Joshua Tree album in late '87. A couple of us spent the night in front of the Buena Park (near Knotts Berry Farm) Tower Records for the LA Coliseum dates with about 400 other idiots. Nothing like hearing 3 or 4 ghetto blasters playing different U2 albums/songs all within 10 feet of each other for 12 hours. Best part was, the very first person that got tickets could only pull extremely shitty nosebleeds. We left, I wound up getting great tickets through an agency and never did another overnighter for tickets again to this day.

kv

#39 Post by kv » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:00 pm

ya the older i got the more i hated the idea of seats gen ad is badass find one fucking ticket your buddy does the same...also the older i got the more i got into going to shows without tickets late...like right as the main band hits stage when the people selling tickets on the streets start to panic...hell i did that for la kings games for years if it was good game near the end of the first period i'd drive down to the forum and get good tickets for 5-10 bucks for the final 2 periods " your tickets are quickly turning into trash...wanna make your trash into 5 bucks?'" oh course if it's a hot enough show the tickets can be long fucking gone before the doors open...walking into a ticket agency very late can also work awesome...have done that at staples

that's whats great about gen ad who cares when you arrive push your ass up front...i also had the lock down on a number of clubs....the whisky for example has a long outside staircase to a fire door in back that is on the top floor....climb the stars that nobody guards because the door is locked then pound on the fucking door like a cop...some fucker will always open it...fuck your line

LJF

#40 Post by LJF » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I never waited over night, but once my roommate rolled out of work to wait on line for he Beastie Boys show at Irving Plaza before the hello nasty tour. She worked over night and at about 5 in the morning she went with a friend to get on line, they got tickets the show was amazing.

For one the relapse shows in NYC, my friend got us tickets by winning a contest on a radio station. The contest was the best reason you didn't get tickets for the show. He called in and said that he had been waiting on line all night and a few minutes before the ticket window opened he had to take a shit. he couldn't wait anymore he was turtling, so he asked someone to hold his spot and by the time he got back it was sold out.

Back in the 90s when there was a show I wanted to see and I knew the tickets would sell out fast I'd call a direct TM number in say columbus oh, I lived in NYC. if the tickets went on sale at 10, I'd call 9:40-9:45 and just start asking about different shows, whatever just to keep the person on the line and as soon as it hit 10 or just before I'd tell them to pull up the show I wanted. I don't think I missed a show.

blackcoffee

#41 Post by blackcoffee » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Jane's was coming to SD in November 1990. I was clueless and wasn't able to get seats. It sold out pretty quickly. On a whim I went to the Ticketmaster office in the May Co (remember that department store) just a few hours before the show and was able to buy 4 GA tix. Of course, they were all GA tix. I was stoked because it was at UCSD, which was walking distance from my house, and I had two extra to sell. I literally skipped to that show.