Janes NS show LA 9/20

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Essence_Smith

Re: Janes NS show LA 9/20

#326 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 am

Matz wrote:what's so special about this? :hs: DN aint true to the original except for the first short solo, the rest is DN on noodling autopilot, it's a nice banner tho
Perry is wearing a nice hat... :idea: :lol:

Romeo

#327 Post by Romeo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:59 am

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:It was late September on the Sunset Strip. There were tons of gorgeous girls and music coming from all sides. It was low humidity and the temp ranged from 80 until the sun began to set where it lowered and hovered in the mid 70's. These old men (whom I remember when they were young) appeared and played my favorite album and I listened and I remembered and romanticized some transformative years where I generally had a great time. And it was a great time.
Heh, I've been going through that routine with Janes since '09 and I think I'm over it now. Aside from a couple rarely played and frankly lesser songs that they've included on this NS series of shows, I couldn't justify even for a free show (and the hassle of navigating and parking on Sunset) seeing them go through the same other 12 or so tunes they've been playing every year. It's close to the same deal with a few other bands I like that still tour regularly like The Cult - do I really need to hear fucking Love Removal Machine and She Sells Sanctuary for the 20th time fronted by a singer who's slowly but surely losing his mojo? At least The Cult has a far larger catalog of songs to slot in numerous other deep cuts amongst the usual burnout hits.

It's also maybe odd to view it this way, but seeing many of my favorite bands from 20 - 30+ years past their prime doing the nostalgia thing especially year after year seems to diminish their original impact on me. Especially a band who's youthful energy was a big part of their appeal.
Truth be told, if they couldn't pull out some rarities as encores for the Sunset Strip, the home turf, chances are it'll be NS & the same ol' shit for the CBGB's festival. If this band gave a shit they would do at least ONE punk/NYC homage. But i know they won't.

This band ie: Perry could give a fuck

kv

#328 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
SR wrote:It was late September on the Sunset Strip. There were tons of gorgeous girls and music coming from all sides. It was low humidity and the temp ranged from 80 until the sun began to set where it lowered and hovered in the mid 70's. These old men (whom I remember when they were young) appeared and played my favorite album and I listened and I remembered and romanticized some transformative years where I generally had a great time. And it was a great time.
Heh, I've been going through that routine with Janes since '09 and I think I'm over it now.

that's exactly the way i feel...that's what got me through 2001 and 2002...before the sour in my mouth was too much to look past for memories...then when avery came back i hit a club show to close my jane's book with a nice epilog in 09

the bored going through the routine...perry blowing his voice early every show then struggling to hold it together till the end...wtf happened to perk? i may be more disappointed in him then anyone else...the down tuning is a huge thing for me..the same tired setlists lasting 40 minutes...the vamping and nursery rhythm singing by perry...not to mention shit like "etty was cold, sorry no 3 days" or 2 very shitty records...i mean they don't make new music thats good anymore...that's kinda a huge reason to not see them...as for the fun of shows and the crowd i don't need jane's for that! plus as panda said after all these years it really has started to effect me wanting to listen to the old stuff...i haven't listened to a boot in a long time...i'm sure headphones would get me right back into it but current day jane's is clouding my desire to even wanna pop them in...my fav band of all time was always a tie....jane's and pixies...was listening to some pixies today...been months since i listened to jane's and i don't care

i bashed on bman for saying that show was the quintessential jane's...tuned down, no avery, bad perry, bored dave, uninspired perk, hardkly there and down in the mix chaney, short set, etty effecting shit....fuck bman was right at this point they have plaqyed way more shows like this then the old guard with avery...for a lot of people going to these shows year after year FUCK this IS the quintessential jane's for them...thats a fucking sad and sorry state, all of course in my humble opinion as i am glad to hear whenever you fine people have a good time

Pandemonium

#329 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:44 pm

kv wrote:that's exactly the way i feel...that's what got me through 2001 and 2002...before the sour in my mouth was too much to look past for memories...then when avery came back i hit a club show to close my jane's book with a nice epilog in 09
If I recall, I think we saw the same two shows (Hollywood Bowl '01 and Wiltern NYE '02) and both shows were a big come down from the JA 1.0 and '97 shows for me. Amusingly, the saving grace of the '02 show was the 2 or 3 new Strays songs they debuted way before the album came out that sounded really promising.

bman

#330 Post by bman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 pm

These NS shows (and even some of the TGEA shows) are far, far better than the Jubilee/ Strays era shows. Just have fun.

kv

#331 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
kv wrote:that's exactly the way i feel...that's what got me through 2001 and 2002...before the sour in my mouth was too much to look past for memories...then when avery came back i hit a club show to close my jane's book with a nice epilog in 09
If I recall, I think we saw the same two shows (Hollywood Bowl '01 and Wiltern NYE '02) and both shows were a big come down from the JA 1.0 and '97 shows for me. Amusingly, the saving grace of the '02 show was the 2 or 3 new Strays songs they debuted way before the album came out that sounded really promising.
i didn't do hollywood bowl...hate that place for rock shows...saw them in vegas a couple times...santa barbara..wiltern....funny even writing this...i used to travel for this band...now they play at home and i don't even watch the webcast...ya i remeber seeing them in vegas at rain i think...got the setlist and was stoked, new songs and all there was hope then...now it's just rehash version fuck i lost count

SR

#332 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm kinda done and good with this thread, but someone said perk sucked. It's like we saw different people. :banghead:

SR

#333 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I still don't get his grip (at the base of the stick) and the power he gets. :rockon:

kv

#334 Post by kv » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:54 pm

i am speaking in general...he is boring now...those last 2 records i'd swear he wasn't in the band anymore and they got the nickleback drummer...as for this show..i didn't watch it...made it through about 30 seconds of one youtube video

i never said he sucked, i said he disappoints me...

SR

#335 Post by SR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

kv wrote:i am speaking in general...he is boring now...those last 2 records i'd swear he wasn't in the band anymore and they got the nickleback drummer...as for this show..i didn't watch it...made it through about 30 seconds of one youtube video

:rockon:

nausearockpig

#336 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 pm

SR wrote:
kv wrote:i am speaking in general...he is boring now...those last 2 records i'd swear he wasn't in the band anymore and they got the nickleback drummer...as for this show..i didn't watch it...made it through about 30 seconds of one youtube video

:rockon:
Oddly enough he just responded to my FB frenz request... we're buds now... lol

drifter

#337 Post by drifter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 am

bump
janesbiggestfan wrote:so have they played two shows at this festival ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1GdmeQz6A

also some nice warmup footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFawoHg3Cq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZdXtBOoaOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28ladv ... qQTrIMZvEg

update: they played two songs on borrowed instruments at the HOB ceremony on the 19th... cool in a way... when was the last time navarro played a les paul? :)

check the videos on youtube, really cool vibe

Romeo

#338 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:58 am

bman wrote:These NS shows (and even some of the TGEA shows) are far, far better than the Jubilee/ Strays era shows. Just have fun.
At least they would open with Kettle Whistle on Jubilee and Perry sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than he does now
Jubilee>anything 2002 on....

Romeo

#339 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:00 am

I have to agree. Perk's playing always used to be so melodic compared to now

It's almost like no one in that band gives a shit

crater

#340 Post by crater » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am

Romeo wrote:It's almost like no one in that band gives a shit
Why should the band give a shit? Since they know that people are still willing to pay to see them sleepwalk through the same songs year after year, where is the incentive for them to go all out during these shows?

The sooner people stop attending their shows, the sooner they might attempt to do something good again. Yes, wishful thinking, because as long as there are people out there paying, making excuses and gushing about every time Perry farts into the mic, the best they'll do is what you've seen from them over the past 10+ years.

tubro

#341 Post by tubro » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Romeo wrote:
bman wrote:These NS shows (and even some of the TGEA shows) are far, far better than the Jubilee/ Strays era shows. Just have fun.
At least they would open with Kettle Whistle on Jubilee and Perry sounded waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than he does now
+1 for Romeo's take on this. I don't usually disagree with bman - I'm just not as into modern JA as he is, but it's cool that the dude loves the shows so much these days. but to me there's no comparison of anything recent to anything they've done since jubilee. the only caveat is NINJA, for the obvious reason, but I love Martyn so even that is a close call. jubilee was, for me, still the original versions of perry dave and perk. no, perry wasn't nearly as good as he had been when young, but he hit high notes and put on whatever he put on for kettle whistle. and the band played the awesome trio 'obvious' during the set change and a beautiful classic girl on the little stage. I'm not a hater about the TGEA shows but I just can't see them as being a better band now than they were in 01.
by the way, I also agree that a vastly underrated small series of shows were the pre-strays shows. the one I saw at irving was a band trying to be good. today, and this obviously addresses bman's point, they make no bones about the fact that they don't rehearse. they're not trying at all. they're working fairly hard up there and their memory and catalogue and rock star-ness lets them still be a good brand, but not rehearsing or even apparently thinking of their craft, ever, fucking shows.

i'll still go to times square and I still enjoyed a lot of the webcast the other night. and I'm still not shocked when perry entertains me. he's not incapable. just not that other guy who, for me, was magic to watch. and I expect to enjoy dave's playing because he still plays and at least a few times tosses out a very cool solo. and perk is perk. (the other guy does his job but may as well be on tape.)

JOEinPHX

#342 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:14 pm

kv wrote:...not to mention shit like "etty was cold, sorry no 3 days"
Wait... what?

Please tell me that's not what happened.

JOEinPHX

#343 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Romeo wrote:
Agreed.

I liked Martyn's bass sound too. I thought he sounded great with the band. And when I saw them he was smiling throughout the whole set. You could tell he was tripping out on getting to be a part of it.

bman

#344 Post by bman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 am

So why did they drop the 2nd verse and solo from mountain song??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqRFYWQqHA
right around 34.00 minutes in.