Ya, Hype, you're fuct.

farrellgirl99

Re: perry and etty's new video

#77 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:28 pm

im surprised perry and etty didnt come up with this song first

Larry B.

#78 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Elliott Smith is huuuugely overrated. He's your average good songwriter.

And Skrillex deserves his bit of fame, I think. The stuff he does/did took the genre/subgenre to a new level. Hell, most of us would've never listened to that stuff if it weren't for him and DeadMau5 or whatever his name is.

Pure Method

#79 Post by Pure Method » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

I have a good friend who performs under the moniker of Griz in the EDM scene. Made quite a name for himself. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#80 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:im surprised perry and etty didnt come up with this song first

More than 6 words in it.

They could never write that many.

Hype

#81 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 pm

You can tell which people here grew up during the era when Elliot Smith type gushy indie emo shit was popular. :lol:

tvrec

#82 Post by tvrec » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:You can tell which people here grew up during the era when Elliot Smith type gushy indie emo shit was popular. :lol:
Hey now with the sub-text derision. I like Elliot Smith. Not a huge fan, but I think that he did some great work in the vein of Nick Drake.

kv

#83 Post by kv » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm

he was praised as christ for a certain period....it got insanely old, insanely fast....to me

Hype

#84 Post by Hype » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 pm

:lol: For a while the new Elliot Smith was that Bon Iver thing... but that's already over and the new thing was ... dubstep or something... It really gets tiring having people tell me "You'll like this, I bet, since you're a music lover." and it's just some ultra-trendy weak shit with no distinguishing features. Seriously what is it with that? No one will remember Bon Iver.

Mescal

#85 Post by Mescal » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Who the fuck is Elliot Smith?

guysmiley

#86 Post by guysmiley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:23 am

Can we get back to bashing this video some more?

Artemis

#87 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 am

In the video where PF says "Free my people" is he having a Moses moment? :lol:

Essence_Smith

#88 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:11 am

Mescal wrote:Who the fuck is Elliot Smith?

tvrec

#89 Post by tvrec » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:54 am

Artemis wrote:In the video where PF says "Free my people" is he having a Moses moment? :lol:
Jubilee!

tvrec

#90 Post by tvrec » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Mescal wrote:Who the fuck is Elliot Smith?

CaseyContrarian

#91 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote::lol: For a while the new Elliot Smith was that Bon Iver thing... but that's already over and the new thing was ... dubstep or something... It really gets tiring having people tell me "You'll like this, I bet, since you're a music lover." and it's just some ultra-trendy weak shit with no distinguishing features. Seriously what is it with that? No one will remember Bon Iver.
Elliott Smith was 1,000,000x the artist that Bon Iver is. The latter is basically this generation's Christopher Cross.

And no, I didn't "grow up" when ES was making a name. I was already in my late 20s. I don't have to waste time convincing anyone that he was a supremely gifted writer and arranger; there's plenty of folks with ears and taste who appreciate his talents.

Larry B.

#92 Post by Larry B. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who appreciate his talents.
I've never understood this argument. It's essentially the equivalent of running away from a conversation, because there's also plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was just average.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was mediocre at best.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was shit.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was hot.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was ugly.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who think Elliot Smith was the greatest genius to ever graze our land.

There's plenty of folks with ears and taste who have no idea who Elliot Smith was.

There's no fucking point in saying this type of thing.

CaseyContrarian

#93 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:16 pm

There's plenty of folks who anxiously await Kind Heaven.

Oh, wait.

Hype

#94 Post by Hype » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:38 am

Ugh... point is... there's always some trendy shit that everyone ends up basically forgetting (even if you recall names, and maybe one or two songs). Perry has hitched his wagon to that kind of trendy shit that was around for the past half a decade or so... And he's not really at the cutting edge of it anyway. I guess if he really likes it, there's nothing wrong with it (aside from not having artistic merit).

danhans

#95 Post by danhans » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Holy fucking shit. Really?
This surly can't be the same bloke who wrote Then She Did and Ted! Its Total bollocks.
He could be doing PFP or more JA but instead this shit comes out.
Somethings wrong here.

CaseyContrarian

#96 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Ugh... point is... there's always some trendy shit that everyone ends up basically forgetting (even if you recall names, and maybe one or two songs). Perry has hitched his wagon to that kind of trendy shit that was around for the past half a decade or so... And he's not really at the cutting edge of it anyway. I guess if he really likes it, there's nothing wrong with it (aside from not having artistic merit).
No disagreement here. My only point was that Elliott Smith is not a great point of reference, because a gazillion people--fans and other artists--still appreciate his work and talents.

You could pick a million other bands, some recent. Remember when the whole world liked MGMT? Remember when they freaked out over Sleigh Bells? (MGMT are talented; Sleigh Bells not so much). So yeah, I see your point, but ES made way more of a lasting mark on musical culture than some of the other music championed by the hipster set.
Last edited by CaseyContrarian on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hype

#97 Post by Hype » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 am

I disagree, but maybe you still listen to stuff influenced by that guy.

tubro

#98 Post by tubro » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:37 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote: EDM is probably the most popular form of music out there these days.
i think this is probably not correct. it's not as much popular as it is newsworthy. EDM makes a lot of money because it's cheap to put on a big live event and the kids show up to trip. The most popular forms of music are probably girl pop - beyonce and pink and gaga and even that old hag madonna sell out arenas worldwide, and corporate ancient rock like u2 and foo fighters and rhcp and such do the same. and even though there's not much of a record business, those groups and tarts still sell a decent amount of product. touring is where the money is and all of the above sell a lot of tickets and tee shirts. skrillex without a huge party that holds 30000 people and has 20 deejays can barely sell out a large club.

even perry farrell speaks to this - jane's still does decent business. sells a couple thousand tix per show and generally makes money on tour, i think. if he toured perry-etty, it wouldn't sell out the two couches in my living room.

CaseyContrarian

#99 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:46 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:I disagree, but maybe you still listen to stuff influenced by that guy.
You disagree that you're right about pandering hipster music? Or you disagree that Elliott Smith has durable legacy and many appreciators?

Because, that's like, your opinion man.

CaseyContrarian

#100 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:49 am

EDM isn't even a genre. "Electronic Dance Music?" What can't that encompass?

It's just rebranding of Prodigy-style Big Beat (mainstream "dubstep") and rave culture that has excited since Detroit House. Now it's just big business.

Like a Big & Rich show with better drugs (I'm assuming).