Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
nausearockpig

Re: Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

#251 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Put all your questions together, call Dark Matter and ask Dave.

cricket_bows

#252 Post by cricket_bows » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
hokahey wrote:Why is everyone so sure Jane's is going to get in?
Because Perry is an industry suit n' tie guy now. Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh are probably on his Christmas card list.
Christmas? :hs:
Aww gimme a break, I'm generalizing here. I don't know the religious affiliation of Wenner and Marsh, but I bet Perry's family doesn't ignore Christmas just because they may celebrate Hanukkah or other Jewish holidays. I mean, do you think Etty actually abstains from anything on Yom Kippur?

Oy vey.

ONE BREAK, COMMMMING UP!

(Sorry Pandy, I had to! :wink: )

JOEinPHX

#253 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Because Perry is an industry suit n' tie guy now. Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh are probably on his Christmas card list.
I'd say this is on point.

Jane's will get in simply because Lollapalooza has kept Perry in the spotlight.

The only question is whether Etty's name will appear above or below Eric's on the induction announcement.
I'm not buying it. Lollapalooza is not Jane's Addiction.

Isn't Jane's already eligible?

Can someone name me a similar band (from a general population view point, not ours) that is in?
Lollapalooza is not Jane's, but it kept Jane's in the spotlight. When you hear about Lollapalooza, it's always "Perry Farrell started Lollapalooza in 1991 as a farewell tour for Jane's Addiction..."

The 2 are always mentioned in the same breath. Lollapalooza's legacy thus has helped Jane's legacy. Even when Jane's is putting out shitty albums, Lollapalooza is touring the country playing to a million kids, or in Chicago playing to a quarter million.

Lollapalooza is Jane's Addiction's legacy, even moreso than their albums.

I am not saying they would have been forgotten, I am just saying that without the cultural impact of Lollapalooza and what it did for the legendary bands that came after Jane's, Jane's Addiction's star might not seem as bright.

Look at the Pixies. Hugely influential, broke up for YEARS, came back to huge applause... but are they getting into the Hall of Fame right away? Doubtful. Jane's will go in because Lollapalooza launched a hundred other amazing artists, while the Pixies are just an indie band that influenced Kurt Cobain. And I hate to dumb it down that way, because obviously they are more important than that. But hey, The Pixies never directly changed American music culture. Jane's Addiction's farewell tour DID. :noclue:

blackula

#254 Post by blackula » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:He (Dave) wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Most people don't even think of OHM when it comes to the Chili Peppers.
I disagree with that. Josh was inducted, and he's only been on 1 RHCP album, which struggled to go Gold. Dave played on a double platinum RHCP album and was with the band when they were putting out major singles. RHCP was much more relevant with Dave than they are now with Josh. But, I can see why he wasn't included since he'll probably get into the HOF with Jane's, which makes more sense.

Cliff Martinez (drums) was inducted as a RHCP member and he only played on Freaky Styley, which people will think of less than OHM, and didn't come close to selling as many copies as OHM. Cliff wasn't nearly as essential to the band as Navarro was, yet he made it in.

Dave will get in with Jane's.
Dave didn't fit and OHM isn't that great. Inducting Dave with The RHCP would be like inducting Lou Reed as a member of Metallica, 2 separate entities that came together for 1 album that didn't work.

Matz

#255 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:51 pm

that's "a bit" of a stretch. OHM is great and Martinez is in so Dave should definitely be in as well, nevermind that he'll probably be inducted with Jane's too one day, I'm sure he wouldn't mind being inducted twice. I know I wouldn't

Pandemonium

#256 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:27 pm

hokahey wrote:I'm not buying it. Lollapalooza is not Jane's Addiction.

Can someone name me a similar band (from a general population view point, not ours) that is in?
Eligibility is 25 years since their first record (which can be a nebulous term). In JA's case, I bet the HoF considers Nothings Shocking as their first legitimate album. Thus, Jane's would be eligible next year.

As for bands or artists that could also be considered "businessmen" or other non-performer entrepreneurs? Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne are probably closest as far as essentially doing the same kind of festival promoting business as well as Ozzy fronting Black Sabbath. Others, I dunno, maybe Neil Young.... or KISS, lol. Although his band isn't in the RnRHoF, Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson is a commercial air pilot and recently started his own UK-based aircraft maintenance company.

Pandemonium

#257 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Matz wrote:that's "a bit" of a stretch. OHM is great and Martinez is in so Dave should definitely be in as well, nevermind that he'll probably be inducted with Jane's too one day, I'm sure he wouldn't mind being inducted twice. I know I wouldn't
Dave isn't quite up there with someone like Eric Clapton who was inducted both with The Yardbirds and Cream (and as a solo artist).

JOEinPHX

#258 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Matz wrote:that's "a bit" of a stretch. OHM is great and Martinez is in so Dave should definitely be in as well, nevermind that he'll probably be inducted with Jane's too one day, I'm sure he wouldn't mind being inducted twice. I know I wouldn't
Dave isn't quite up there with someone like Eric Clapton who was inducted both with The Yardbirds and Cream (and as a solo artist).
Doesn't matter.

Dave wrote hit albums with Jane's Addiction, and he wrote a hit album with the RHCP.

He should be in with the RHCP for a multiplatinum album that spawned several radio hits.

What the fuck has Klinghoffer done?

SR

#259 Post by SR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 pm

I think janes will have a long tough road to get in.

JOEinPHX

#260 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 pm

SR wrote:I think janes will have a long tough road to get in.
I think the entire Seattle scene gets in before Jane's does.

Hell, I'll bet they go in the same year as Korn.

nausearockpig

#261 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Doesn't matter.

Dave wrote hit albums with Jane's Addiction, and he wrote a hit album with the RHCP.

He should be in with the RHCP for a multiplatinum album that spawned several radio hits.

What the fuck has Klinghoffer done?
He didn't write NS & RdlH, he played on them. Or did he write the leads etc?

Matz

#262 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Dave is a much more talented guitar player than Clapton, but can't compete when it comes to notoriety. That's what got him in twice

Xizen47

#263 Post by Xizen47 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:14 am

Matz wrote:Dave is a much more talented guitar player than Clapton, but can't compete when it comes to notoriety. That's what got him in twice
Yes, Dave can play the minor pentatonic scale better than Clapton

Clapton has created decent/memorable songs for decades, while Dave put some outstanding guitar on top of well written songs from 86-97.

Dave can't write a good song imo

someguy

#264 Post by someguy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 am

Xizen47 wrote:
Matz wrote:Dave is a much more talented guitar player than Clapton, but can't compete when it comes to notoriety. That's what got him in twice

Clapton has created decent/memorable songs for decades, while Dave put some outstanding guitar on top of well written songs from 86-97.

I think it's more like Clapton is more accessible with the blues stuff, and Dave has mainly been associated with darker, goth/metal stuff, which is understandably a little difficult to be popular with alot of listeners.

Mescal

#265 Post by Mescal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 am

someguy wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:

I think it's more like Clapton is more accessible with the blues stuff, and Dave has mainly been associated with darker, goth/metal stuff, which is understandably a little difficult to be popular with alot of listeners.
99% of the population don't know who the fuck Dave Navarro is. He really hasn't done anything of note now has he.

To other people we might as well be discussing the Tokyo Hotel guitar player.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#266 Post by Hokahey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
I'd say this is on point.

Jane's will get in simply because Lollapalooza has kept Perry in the spotlight.

The only question is whether Etty's name will appear above or below Eric's on the induction announcement.
I'm not buying it. Lollapalooza is not Jane's Addiction.

Lollapalooza is not Jane's, but it kept Jane's in the spotlight. When you hear about Lollapalooza, it's always "Perry Farrell started Lollapalooza in 1991 as a farewell tour for Jane's Addiction..."

The 2 are always mentioned in the same breath. Lollapalooza's legacy thus has helped Jane's legacy. Even when Jane's is putting out shitty albums, Lollapalooza is touring the country playing to a million kids, or in Chicago playing to a quarter million.

Lollapalooza is Jane's Addiction's legacy, even moreso than their albums.

I am not saying they would have been forgotten, I am just saying that without the cultural impact of Lollapalooza and what it did for the legendary bands that came after Jane's, Jane's Addiction's star might not seem as bright.

Look at the Pixies. Hugely influential, broke up for YEARS, came back to huge applause... but are they getting into the Hall of Fame right away? Doubtful. Jane's will go in because Lollapalooza launched a hundred other amazing artists, while the Pixies are just an indie band that influenced Kurt Cobain. And I hate to dumb it down that way, because obviously they are more important than that. But hey, The Pixies never directly changed American music culture. Jane's Addiction's farewell tour DID. :noclue:
I guarantee that the vast majority of people familiar with Lollapalooza are not aware of the Jane's Addiction connection, and those that are mostly just know the same guy from that band is associated.,

Pandemonium

#267 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Matz

#268 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

:lol: :lol: ok, perhaps I was out of line a bit. Perhaps. But I do think that Dave's core talent is bigger than Clapton's he just hasn't worked as hard and doesn't have as much to show for it.

Clapton is a hugely overrated player imo, people who think he's on the level of Hendrix and Page, which a lot of people do, are completely out of touch with reality.

Larry B.

#269 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Matz wrote::lol: :lol: ok, perhaps I was out of line a bit. Perhaps. But I do think that Dave's core talent is bigger than Clapton's he just hasn't worked as hard and doesn't have as much to show for it.

Clapton is a hugely overrated player imo, people who think he's on the level of Hendrix and Page, which a lot of people do, are completely out of touch with reality.
Agree 100%. He's a good little guitar player with a lot of good friends.

Pandemonium

#270 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Matz wrote::lol: :lol: ok, perhaps I was out of line a bit. Perhaps. But I do think that Dave's core talent is bigger than Clapton's he just hasn't worked as hard and doesn't have as much to show for it.

I'm no Clapton junkie and would rank him well below Page, Hendrix and even Jeff Beck. But Clapton's playing especially in Cream was groundbreaking and those recordings still stand up to this day. Sure, by the mid 70's he was churning out radio-friendly pap and eventually devolved into a boring old fart outliving his legacy. I've never really heard anything from Dave even when Janes was at their peak that I couldn't easily see in numerous other late 70's - early/mid 80's guitarists. With Dave, I hear a mish-mash of Danny Ash, Robert Smith and any number of flashy 80's metal guitarists. He built his technique and sound off those influences but never really took it to another level like Clapton did who started off on delta blues players and quickly went in a utterly new direction.

I would certainly agree Dave has or maybe had a ton of talent but has mostly wasted it the past 20 years.

JOEinPHX

#271 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Pandemonium wrote: I would certainly agree Dave has or maybe had a ton of talent but has mostly wasted it the past 20 years.
Would you want to work with this?

No wonder Ink Master is the most successful and long-running thing he's been doing in the last few years.

Matz

#272 Post by Matz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Pandemonium wrote:

I'm no Clapton junkie and would rank him well below Page, Hendrix and even Jeff Beck. But Clapton's playing especially in Cream was groundbreaking and those recordings still stand up to this day. Sure, by the mid 70's he was churning out radio-friendly pap and eventually devolved into a boring old fart outliving his legacy. I've never really heard anything from Dave even when Janes was at their peak that I couldn't easily see in numerous other late 70's - early/mid 80's guitarists. With Dave, I hear a mish-mash of Danny Ash, Robert Smith and any number of flashy 80's metal guitarists. He built his technique and sound off those influences but never really took it to another level like Clapton did who started off on delta blues players and quickly went in a utterly new direction.

I would certainly agree Dave has or maybe had a ton of talent but has mostly wasted it the past 20 years.
I guess you're right that he hasn't done anything groundbreaking style wise, although it is somewhat original to combine those type of influences, who else has done that? But, to me, you don't have to be mr inventive like Eddie or Morello or Hendrix in order to be considered a great player. If you "just" play amazingly well like Dave does on Ritual, NS and OHM that's plenty.
Dave has that X factor, that undefineable thing, that is so rare. Which, to me once again, is best displayed at the Hammerstein gig, the guy playing there is a legend in my mind. Imagine if he'd been a Frusciante type obsessed with music, he could have done some mindblowing things.

Pandemonium

#273 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: I would certainly agree Dave has or maybe had a ton of talent but has mostly wasted it the past 20 years.

No wonder Ink Master is the most successful and long-running thing he's been doing in the last few years.
I call bullshit on the idea that Dave's only option outside Janetty, The Chili Peppers (and maybe Guns n' Roses for a few years in the early 90's) is to do reality tv crap versus making viable music either with other artists or on his own. That fact that he can do his tv and radio stuff and still be a recording and touring member of Janes shows it isn't really a matter of available time. He knows and pals around with a majority of rockers in Hollywood, I don't see why he couldn't be part of a band with a few of his peers doing original material - surely a few other guys he knows have some drive to come up with new material. Imagine a band with Dave, David J, Jimmy Chamberlin and Iggy Pop....

The simple fact is, he doesn't have the creativity or more importantly, the drive to do anything new in any sort of setting outside the safe confines of Perry's band.

JOEinPHX

#274 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I call bullshit on the idea that Dave's only option outside Janetty...
:lol:

Kajicat

#275 Post by Kajicat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:24 pm

blackula wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:He (Dave) wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Most people don't even think of OHM when it comes to the Chili Peppers.
I disagree with that. Josh was inducted, and he's only been on 1 RHCP album, which struggled to go Gold. Dave played on a double platinum RHCP album and was with the band when they were putting out major singles. RHCP was much more relevant with Dave than they are now with Josh. But, I can see why he wasn't included since he'll probably get into the HOF with Jane's, which makes more sense.

Cliff Martinez (drums) was inducted as a RHCP member and he only played on Freaky Styley, which people will think of less than OHM, and didn't come close to selling as many copies as OHM. Cliff wasn't nearly as essential to the band as Navarro was, yet he made it in.

Dave will get in with Jane's.
Dave didn't fit and OHM isn't that great. Inducting Dave with The RHCP would be like inducting Lou Reed as a member of Metallica, 2 separate entities that came together for 1 album that didn't work.
I never really understood why people (including himself) say Dave "didn't fit" so well with RHCP. I'm a big RHCP fan and OHM is my favorite album of theirs, and I own them all. He played just as funky at live shows as John or Hillel, and tracks like Aeroplane, Walkabout, Stretch, the bridge in Coffee Shop, and Falling into Grace sounded just as funky as older RHCP. His live playing at the time was funky too, and he played their older funky material just fine. The harder stuff on OHM is right on track with material from Uplift Mofo Party Plan or Mother's Milk, but yes at times he was more metal with stuff like Coffee Shop and One Hot Minute (the title track). I thought he fit just fine. He was playing funky metal stuff with psychedelic thrown in. I guess Dave himself saying he had to conform more to their style is all the argument would ever need, but anyone else on the outside who didn't know he was having to mold himself into a funkier guitar player would never know.
Six7Six7 wrote:Image
Out of fucking nowhere - it's Marty Jannetty. :ele: