Eric Avery batch of tracks on Soundcloud

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juana

Re: Eric Avery batch of tracks on Soundcloud

#26 Post by Juana » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:55 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:well basically eric with perry equals gold .. eric without perry equals nobody gives a fuck .. perry without eric equals sell out .. neither is that credible or interesting or a productive use of the talent available .. the fact that perry invites eric in and eric thinks playing with alanis is more credible or worth his time, leaves me with the feeling that eric is the most stubborn aspect of this dysfunction ..
Eric isn't playing with Alanis and has not for a very long time.

He's currently playing with some pretty respectable musicians in GTO.

Perry on the other hand, is currently playing with his dancer wife and probably DJ Nobody.
If you think a GTO album is ever going to see the light of day I have a bridge to sell you.
It will might be another year or two but it will. Both Ben and Brent have been working on it on and off since August and Jon confirmed that he has been laying down tracks when not on the road.

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Juana wrote:
hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:well basically eric with perry equals gold .. eric without perry equals nobody gives a fuck .. perry without eric equals sell out .. neither is that credible or interesting or a productive use of the talent available .. the fact that perry invites eric in and eric thinks playing with alanis is more credible or worth his time, leaves me with the feeling that eric is the most stubborn aspect of this dysfunction ..
Eric isn't playing with Alanis and has not for a very long time.

He's currently playing with some pretty respectable musicians in GTO.

Perry on the other hand, is currently playing with his dancer wife and probably DJ Nobody.
If you think a GTO album is ever going to see the light of day I have a bridge to sell you.
It will might be another year or two but it will. Both Ben and Brent have been working on it on and off since August and Jon confirmed that he has been laying down tracks when not on the road.
Bridge purchased.

trevor ayer

#28 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:41 pm

yeah I am pretty sure GTO will be posted on Soundcloud .. that counts as a 'release' right? :lol:

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:54 pm

The pessimism over GTO should not be whether the album is released or not, it should be whether Eric quits or not. :lol:

trevor ayer

#30 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 pm

or perhaps whether he sings or not .. is eric 'the' giraffe tongue? .. maybe this is like his 'alladin sane'

JOEinPHX

#31 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Clearly "Ego Eric" is going to sing.

I mean, come on, he's forced everyone to let him sing in 20% of the bands he's ever been in.

trevor ayer

#32 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 pm

well if you want to get statistical ... i never heard of eric recording or writing with garbage or alanis .. if u look at it that way he sang in decon, polar bear, solo record, and now giraffe tongue .. i wish he had the chops to be a lead guy because the music is usually pretty good .. but he doesn't .. so janes is basically the only band he did anything artistic with that he did not sing in .. what pissed me off about eric and perry was that they both mentioned wanting to do all this electronic computer blip shit with the trent sessions .. they are both good at something instead of nothing ... neither seems to want to do what they are good at .. they just want to play and think they have as much to offer in other genres when they don't .. perry is not a pop star or a techno dj and should not be writing modern rock verse chorus verse mundane shitrock .. eric should never sing ever ..

clickie

#33 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm

An old quote from Eric regarding his vocals on the Deconstruction album..

"At times, I've thought things like, "does Brian Ferry sing that way because that's the best he can do?" I always assume that these things are stylistic decisions people make. But in my case, most people wondered "Why did Eric sing so low in a lot of the songs?" The answer is that's where I'm the most comfortable singing. In actuality, that's just the best that I can do."

Juana

#34 Post by Juana » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:56 pm

trevor ayer wrote:yeah I am pretty sure GTO will be posted on Soundcloud .. that counts as a 'release' right? :lol:
Naw Brent will just put it out on his own if it comes down to it like he did with his Fiend Without A Face project. Plus the people at Volcom are pretty close with both Brent and Jon (for distro on a larger scale) so I think it happens just might take a while as this is a side project for all involved including Eric.

CaseyContrarian

#35 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:The pessimism over GTO should not be whether the album is released or not, it should be whether Eric quits or not. :lol:
THIS

tubro

#36 Post by tubro » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:46 pm

carry on you merry bunch of curmudgeons and partisans. its always fun to read the rehash of who's a bigger asshole and why. both the 'perry sucks' and the 'eric's also douchey' arguments were compellingly made, although i do sometimes giggle at how, since eric is thought to be such a non-sell out artist, he's credited for not touring his solo band, while nobody wonders whether he in fact didn't tour it because nobody was going to pay him, and whether a similar motivation explains his tours with the alanis morisette's of the world. for the record, i hardly ever use the 'sellout' label on anyone making a living making music, and i don't think eric is one for taking tours like alanis and garbage. but the whole 'he's such an artist' thing is curious to me

anyway......

holy shit did that douchebag avery just dis the great bryan ferry?? if so, case closed. eric is the asshole.
clickie wrote:An old quote from Eric regarding his vocals on the Deconstruction album..

"At times, I've thought things like, "does Brian Ferry sing that way because that's the best he can do?" I always assume that these things are stylistic decisions people make. But in my case, most people wondered "Why did Eric sing so low in a lot of the songs?" The answer is that's where I'm the most comfortable singing. In actuality, that's just the best that I can do."

Hokahey
Site Admin

#37 Post by Hokahey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 am

Six7Six7 wrote:If he fancies himself as a capable frontman, then why did he do so few live shows with Polar Bear and his solo effort?

A man with an ego, who is out to publicly put himself on display.... DISPLAYS HIMSELF PUBLICLY. :wave:
What the what?

He did everything he could to get Polar Bear off the ground.

http://janesaddiction.org/tour/list/polar-bear/

And you think Dangerbird records was going to send him on tour for his solo album?

Pandemonium

#38 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 am

tubro wrote:carry on you merry bunch of curmudgeons and partisans. its always fun to read the rehash of who's a bigger asshole and why. both the 'perry sucks' and the 'eric's also douchey' arguments were compellingly made, although i do sometimes giggle at how, since eric is thought to be such a non-sell out artist, he's credited for not touring his solo band, while nobody wonders whether he in fact didn't tour it because nobody was going to pay him, and whether a similar motivation explains his tours with the alanis morisette's of the world. for the record, i hardly ever use the 'sellout' label on anyone making a living making music, and i don't think eric is one for taking tours like alanis and garbage. but the whole 'he's such an artist' thing is curious to me

anyway......

holy shit did that douchebag avery just dis the great bryan ferry?? if so, case closed. eric is the asshole.
It's always funny when someone whines about people slamming one person or another then goes on to do the exact same thing.

trevor ayer

#39 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:12 pm

i agree with hoka .. i think eric would have tried to tour the band if he could .. the music was cool but the singing just made it impossible to get off the ground .. playing in janes is still the best thing eric has ever done .. i think people got their hopes up with NIN because there was a good chance we would hear eric do what he does best and let someone else handle the vocals .. instead he is back to serving his ego and playing in bands that in reality .. kinda suck .. instead of doing something colaborative with another top dawg .. like trent or perry .. both of which are capable of greatness while in the company of other strong collaborators .. but clearly they both have exhausted the solo pop star make my wife famous route .. the fact that eric wanted to rehearse janes without perry and write that way seemed kind of weird .. i really dont see why it is so hard for these dumb asses to rent a studio for a month and just go in and jam out and see what happens while the record light is on .. with the kind of money they all have it should not be too hard ..

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

trevor ayer wrote:i really dont see why it is so hard for these dumb asses to rent a studio for a month and just go in and jam out and see what happens while the record light is on .. with the kind of money they all have it should not be too hard ..
Why does it take U2 four years to make a record? Same with Van Halen when Eddie has his own studio in his back yard? Yet you have a band like Killing Joke who feature several of the most dysfunctional personalities/musicians on the planet crank out the best albums of their 3 decade+ career every 2 years like clockwork for some small, shitty label while still playing clubs and theaters. Some old-timers remain hungry, some don't. Add to that, there's almost no incentive to create new music when there's no record company support for new product.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Perry honestly thought Satellite Party was some of the best music of his entire career. Where's his motivation to do anything else? I don't think another Jane's album happens had they not got back together with Avery, then had enough material to finish up without him.

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 pm

trevor ayer wrote:instead of doing something colaborative with another top dawg .. like trent or perry ..
Perry Farrell hasn't been a "top dawg" since 1997.

And Trent hasn't been a "top dawg" since 2008. This current album/tour is embarrassing.

Bandit72

#43 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 am

Larry B. wrote:I do think playing for Alanis is better than playing with Perry in every possible way. Better money, less hassle, less annoyance, more friends and less Etty.
And fitter?

Essence_Smith

#44 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:46 am

Romeo

#45 Post by Romeo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I like turtles.

Noonesshocking

#46 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:instead of doing something colaborative with another top dawg .. like trent or perry ..
Perry Farrell hasn't been a "top dawg" since 1997.

And Trent hasn't been a "top dawg" since 2008. This current album/tour is embarrassing.
Lol I just remembered when there was gonna be a Jane's addiction song called "top dog" a few years back

Haha

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:27 pm

*Perry Farrell song

I'm sure one of the 3 SANE people in the band told him his shit sucked.

a headless shell

#48 Post by a headless shell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:46 pm

tvrec

#49 Post by tvrec » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 am

Eric posted 4 tracks (new, I think)… have not listened yet. I think they are just streaming.
put up a mini-site for some film folks. 2 instrumental versions of songs you might've heard. 2 you haven't. http://ericaverymusic.com