Eric Avery batch of tracks on Soundcloud

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Jasper

Eric Avery batch of tracks on Soundcloud

#1 Post by Jasper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:36 am

Eric is currently releasing a lot of tracks on his soundcloud.

Some (all? most?) appear to be Polar Bear tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/ericavery

*edit* Now having taken a look at it all, it seems like it's all Polar Bear.

Matov

Re: Eric Avery batch of tracks on Soundcloud

#2 Post by Matov » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:13 am

I've never had a good chance to listen to polar bear. I guess i never came across a reliable source for a recording other than maybe some live video for which i didnt care much. i guess i could´ve just asked :noclue:

This is much much better than what i'd expected. This is deconstruction good.

guysmiley

#3 Post by guysmiley » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:01 pm

I love those CDs. Well, wish it was new stuff, but hell. Polar Bear was great. I'd go see them now if they re-grouped.

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Why Something Instead of Nothing is amazing from start to finish.

Better than Deconstruction.

Larry B.

#5 Post by Larry B. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Better than Deconstruction.
Well, no, but it's great nevertheless.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes. It's way better.

kv

#7 Post by kv » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:13 pm

i liked it more

Warped

#8 Post by Warped » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:17 am

Larry B. wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Better than Deconstruction.
Well, no, but it's great nevertheless.
For me no JA side project or whatever you want to call it beats Deconstruction. Stand out masterpiece. :rockon:

Juana

#9 Post by Juana » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Why Something Instead of Nothing is amazing from start to finish.

Better than Deconstruction.
I agree on that as well.

trevor ayer

#10 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:40 pm

i liked erics singing in polar bear much better than in decon .. but i can understand dave enthusiasts preferring the former

kv

#11 Post by kv » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:56 pm

decon is def held in higher regard by the masses here

never really worked for me though...i always like eric and dave solo better

perkana

#12 Post by perkana » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:16 am

Matov wrote:I've never had a good chance to listen to polar bear. I guess i never came across a reliable source for a recording other than maybe some live video for which i didnt care much. i guess i could´ve just asked :noclue:

This is much much better than what i'd expected. This is deconstruction good.
I downloaded everything thanks to gav's site
http://somediverswhistle.com/ericavery/audio.html

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm

I think they're both neck and neck to be honest...I lean more towards Decon since in the back of my mind a few of those songs were potentially JA songs so they have that vibe, but I don't favor one or the other...both good albums...

clickie

#14 Post by clickie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Thats the problem though, let Eric sing the lyrics on any original Jane's song and that too would sound like nails on a chalkboard.

But I do love Something instead of Nothing. :noclue:

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:28 pm

I don't really listen to any of the JA offshoots.

Only p4p

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am

Was never a huge fan of Eric's voice except for a handful of Decon songs.

I'm sure no one else will agree with this, but him being the singer in his post-Jane's bands (where he wasn't a hired gun) says something to me about his ego. Especially Decon. His range is extremely limited, and he lacks any charisma as a front man. Why was he the best choice to front these bands? Even Dave is a better singer. I think it speaks to one reason he and Perry butted heads.

All of that said, I adore Eric's voice on certain songs. It fits the tone just right.

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 am

hokahey wrote:Was never a huge fan of Eric's voice except for a handful of Decon songs.

I'm sure no one else will agree with this, but him being the singer in his post-Jane's bands (where he wasn't a hired gun) says something to me about his ego. Especially Decon. His range is extremely limited, and he lacks any charisma as a front man. Why was he the best choice to front these bands? Even Dave is a better singer. I think it speaks to one reason he and Perry butted heads.

All of that said, I adore Eric's voice on certain songs. It fits the tone just right.
1. Didn't Eric sing in Decon because Dave didn't want to? I could swear that is what I read.

If that is the case then that leaves only 2 other times he sang:

1. Polar Bear, in which you can make the case "Well, why not?"
2. His solo album, which is a no brainer.

It's not like he walked into Alanis or Garbage band practice and demanded a microphone to do background vocals. In both of those bands he stands in the shadows in the back of the stage.

So ego to sing in the bands he put together? Hardly.

He and Perry butted heads because Perry is a fucking asshole who lets his girlfriends make all his artistic decisions for him while he's surrounded by some of the best musicians of a generation.

Mescal

#18 Post by Mescal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
hokahey wrote:Was never a huge fan of Eric's voice except for a handful of Decon songs.

1. Didn't Eric sing in Decon because Dave didn't want to? I could swear that is what I read.

If that is the case then that leaves only 2 other times he sang:

1. Polar Bear, in which you can make the case "Well, why not?"
2. His solo album, which is a no brainer.

It's not like he walked into Alanis or Garbage band practice and demanded a microphone to do background vocals. In both of those bands he stands in the shadows in the back of the stage.

So ego to sing in the bands he put together? Hardly.

He and Perry butted heads because Perry is a fucking asshole who lets his girlfriends make all his artistic decisions for him while he's surrounded by some of the best musicians of a generation.
Right, you totally know what's up

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

I sense some sarcasm.

But still... Eric has never been the guy writing song about his wealth. Or signing up for reunions every time a major payday came around. Or selling off his legacy dollar by dollar to Monday Night Football and Twilight.

Ego is not a guy who stands in the shadows and chooses support roles as his income. :noclue:

Pandemonium

#20 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 am

Six7Six7 wrote:I sense some sarcasm.

But still... Eric has never been the guy writing song about his wealth. Or signing up for reunions every time a major payday came around. Or selling off his legacy dollar by dollar to Monday Night Football and Twilight.

Ego is not a guy who stands in the shadows and chooses support roles as his income. :noclue:
Yeah, but Eric has consistently walked away from every thing he's become involved in.

trevor ayer

#21 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:51 am

well basically eric with perry equals gold .. eric without perry equals nobody gives a fuck .. perry without eric equals sell out .. neither is that credible or interesting or a productive use of the talent available .. the fact that perry invites eric in and eric thinks playing with alanis is more credible or worth his time, leaves me with the feeling that eric is the most stubborn aspect of this dysfunction ..

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 pm

trevor ayer wrote:well basically eric with perry equals gold .. eric without perry equals nobody gives a fuck .. perry without eric equals sell out .. neither is that credible or interesting or a productive use of the talent available .. the fact that perry invites eric in and eric thinks playing with alanis is more credible or worth his time, leaves me with the feeling that eric is the most stubborn aspect of this dysfunction ..
Eric isn't playing with Alanis and has not for a very long time.

He's currently playing with some pretty respectable musicians in GTO.

Perry on the other hand, is currently playing with his dancer wife and probably DJ Nobody.

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 pm

I do think playing for Alanis is better than playing with Perry in every possible way. Better money, less hassle, less annoyance, more friends and less Etty.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:well basically eric with perry equals gold .. eric without perry equals nobody gives a fuck .. perry without eric equals sell out .. neither is that credible or interesting or a productive use of the talent available .. the fact that perry invites eric in and eric thinks playing with alanis is more credible or worth his time, leaves me with the feeling that eric is the most stubborn aspect of this dysfunction ..

Perry on the other hand, is currently playing with his dancer wife and probably DJ Nobody.
If you think a GTO album is ever going to see the light of day I have a bridge to sell you.

Second of all, it's fallacious logic to deflect my critique of Eric by comparing him to Perry.

Perry has nothing to do with the discussion.

If indeed Eric only sang in Decon is because Dave didn't want to, then that is a legit counter argument. I'd like to see that fact proven though.

I suspect though that Eric has always believed himself to be a capable front man, and for the most part I disagree. At least to the extent that he could ever pull it off in a really compelling way. Now, was that ever his goal? Or was he content with just having vocals on his songs?

You point to his solo album, which to me just furthers my point. Solo albums are almost always about ego. "I don't need anyone else. I can sing these songs and perform them mostly by myself." Welll sure, you CAN. But that doesn't mean you're making the best decisions for those songs, unless the goal was to have them sung with a monotone voice with limited range. If it is, great. But I personally doubt that's the case.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

If you think a GTO album is ever going to see the light of day I have a bridge to sell you.

Second of all, it's fallacious logic to deflect my critique of Eric by comparing him to Perry.

Perry has nothing to do with the discussion.

If indeed Eric only sang in Decon is because Dave didn't want to, then that is a legit counter argument. I'd like to see that fact proven though.

I suspect though that Eric has always believed himself to be a capable front man, and for the most part I disagree. At least to the extent that he could ever pull it off in a really compelling way. Now, was that ever his goal? Or was he content with just having vocals on his songs?

You point to his solo album, which to me just furthers my point. Solo albums are almost always about ego. "I don't need anyone else. I can sing these songs and perform them mostly by myself." Welll sure, you CAN. But that doesn't mean you're making the best decisions for those songs, unless the goal was to have them sung with a monotone voice with limited range. If it is, great. But I personally doubt that's the case.
If he fancies himself as a capable frontman, then why did he do so few live shows with Polar Bear and his solo effort?

A man with an ego, who is out to publicly put himself on display.... DISPLAYS HIMSELF PUBLICLY. :wave: